Dark Day in the Deep Sea (Magic Tree House, #39)

Dark Day in the Deep Sea (Magic Tree House #39)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  2,179 ratings  ·  86 reviews
Chinese edition of "Magic Tree House #39 - Dark Day in the Deep Sea" by Mary Pope Osborne.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2008)

Charissa Sophia de la Rosa
We learn that deep under the sea, there are dangerous sea animals like the octopus and sharks.
Zack
I loved this book! Mary Pope Osborne really catches your imagination. She tells facts and fiction at the same time. You will keep on reading it because it catches your attention like a flytrap. In this book, Jack and Annie go back in time and save a giant octopus. I love the ocean because it is a totally different world, which Jack and Annie get to experience. If you read this book, I bet you will love it, too.
Tricia
As I was reading this, I thought "all right, this one really has dramatic tension, they really do get better as the series progresses." But then MPO took out a 2-by-4 and starting hitting us over the head with it. Oof. We get it! All life is precious! But how are scientists going to understand the sea and the creatures within if they can't study it? Anyway, too much preaching. Enthusiasm balloon seriously deflated.
Mary Lee
My adult brain fought with the idea of the octopus speaking out loud to the sailors and early oceanographers. And while I agree with the *moral* of the story that one of the secrets to happiness is compassion for all living creatures, it seems like MPO has trivialized the way this could have been/can be/needs to be accomplished.
Marco De La Rosa
This book is a good book if you want to learn about the real beuaty and magic about wondorous sea monsters. Sea monsters may look ugly and nasty but the truth is they csn help you and they won't hurt you if someone just act respectful. When jack and annie travel to this time where captain and sailors sailed back then, the have noticed a big, humungous octopus who tries to encounter them but the sailors get worried and the capitan orders the sailors to attack that nasty maonster before they all l...more
Jean O'Shea
Dark Day in the Deep Sea by Mary Pope Osbourne is the 39th installment in the early reader series. In each book, the protagonists Jack and Annie discover, in their local grove of trees, a magic tree house that whisks them off on an adventure. Generally, they have a book as a guide and an important task to complete. This series is aimed at the K-3rd grade set.

I love Magic Tree House series! I can always count on its pattern of chapters: discover the tree house and task, begin adventure with confi...more
Christopher Salcedo
I like this book because in the book it states, Jack and Annie of Frog Creek, Pennsylvania, know they have to find one of the four secrets of happiness to help save Merlin the magician. But when the magic tree house whisks then off to a misty island in the middle of nowhere, they wonder how they will find anything. As the fog lifts, they see a huge three-masted ship-could it be a pirate ship? When a small rowboat makes its way to shore, the three men inside don't look like pirates at all.(pg.1)...more
Kariata Toure
I like the book Dark Day in the Deep Sea because I learned a lot of facts and it adventures."Water covers three-quarter of our earth.Most of the ocean is an enormous plain a little more than two miles deep.But some oceans trenches are more than six miles deep."#12 Another fact I learn was"The ocean is home to thousands and thousands of sea creatures.Mountains and volcanoes are also hidden deep beneath the surface of the sea."#12 The Dark Day in the Deep Sea is adventures"Morgan sent as to tell...more
Libby
My kids like this more than I do. I find all the dialogue to be quite perfunctory and repetitive... BUT I was really impressed with how many of the facts in this book were learned and retained by my 5-year-old son. For example, we started reading and Eyewitness Ocean book after this and he recognized the HMS Challenger which was mentioned in both books, as well as the image of the Nautilus, and knew what it was. Very cool! WE were given this book with a few others, so we started here because my...more
Nathaniel Mckenzie
I liked it. They were trying to help the ship, but then they were thrown off deck and an octopus saved them. Then the ship people caught it and were trying to kill it, but then they stopped.
Acton
The series is about two kids named Jack and Annie who have a magic tree a few blocks away from their house. In this book, they go to the ocean and meet sailormen. Then they get on her majesty's ship, The Challenger and they go to a professor's lab where they see everything he has gotten from the sea. Then the ship floods and they fall off of it. They get attacked by an octopus. Then they capture the octopus and Jack and Annie realize the octopus was trying to save them, not hurt them. Then they...more
Caleb Mckenzie
I Liked dark day in the deep sea
Patti Korbet
This one is maybe 3.5. Not that it's her fault my kid likes Jack and Annie and isn't really the target age, but the stories seem somehow a little more scary than they used to be before they were Merlin Missions. Still, we liked it and we'll keep going. These stories are longer, so they take us a lot longer to read, anyway (plus, she now brings a book home from school every week), but this one felt especially long. I guess that's probably why I just liked it and didn't 'really like it' or think '...more
Brittany
Jack and his little sister Annie are two regular kids from Frog Creek, Pennsylvania... until they discover a mysterious tree house full of all sorts of books. From that point on their lives will never be the same again! They soon go on amazing adventures (plus children are learning bits of history and most don't realize it) as they travel through time with the help of the magic tree house. The chapters are short with pictures every few pages, making these books perfect for the beginning reader....more
Anna
Jack and Annie went on a boat with these scientists and they called this thing a great beast and Jack and Annie were wondering what that was. Then there was a storm and they got tossed overboard. This octopus saved them and the ship was coming close and they pulled them up and they said you got caught by the beast. They said, "No, he's not a beast. He is friendly." Just as she was saying that they were capturing the octopus and he said,"Me Not Monster. Want Go Home."
RDB
Jack and Annie search for the secret of happiness then they think they saw pirates but they noticed they were sailors so they trusted them so they got into a huge mess.They also met a giant octopus,it was a peaceful creature. Jack and Annie tried to tell the sailors that it was peaceful, but they did'nt listen. Then they got out thier axes, pistols, rifles and then the secret to happiness was that creatures need to get taken care of in some way
Dolly
Dec 30, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is another good book in the "Magic Tree House" series. Our girls love Jack and Annie and we've read so many of their adventures, they are very familiar to us. This story started off a bit slow for us, but once we got into the action, we didn't want to stop until we'd read the whole book. It was an interesting look at ocean exploration in the 1800s and the addition of a talking octopus was a bit fantastic, but fun.
Gabriel
Jack and Annie traveled back in time to an island beach in the Pacific Ocean. They were picked up by a wooden ship with a crew of ocean scientists. Jack and Annie were swept off the ship in a storm and were rescued by a giant octopus. The ocean scientist gave them a giant shell. The ship took them back to the beach. If you ever travel to an island in the Pacific, you should look out for the giant octopus.
Rileys
9/21/2011

it is a okay book and the main characters name is jack and annie.
it is mostley about a magic tree house and they get in it and they can travel anywhere they want to.That is if they have a book about the place that they want to go.I have their whole series of books that i got a couple years ago.Most of their books are good but this one wasnt my favriot one out of all of them.
Tete0922
I think this book is relly cool because it is relly active and it makes you want to keep reading it non stop and relly has good cause and effet and that's why I love this book
April
As with the other Magic Treehouse books the kids loved it! Such great adventures she gives...while actually providing some real facts! This came at the end of our science study of the chambered nautilus, it was great that this little sea creature was mentioned many times in the book!

Jack and Annie get to meet Henry Moseley and save a Giant Octopus. A fun sea adventure!
Mary
I am still reading my daughter's books so that I know what she is reading and can discuss it with her so that I can know that she actually reading what she says she is reading. This one is another Merlin mystery and Jack and Annie are still searching for ways to happiness. This one they are sent to the 1800's and discover that compassion leads to happiness.
♥ Sarah ♥
I think I got hooked to the Merlin Mission ones in 1st or 2nd grade when I got I think Summer of the Sea Serpent. And in third grade Kendall would borrow all the copies I had (I do have all of them) and she would read em. (We even tried to start a series of books about Animals, but we kinda didn't so good so we gave up,) (C'mon, we were only 8 and 9!!)
David
I read my nephew's copy of this book one afternoon while visiting... not entirely sure what I think. At his age I was devouring the Hardy Boys novels, which are more complicated and fulfilling, but it's probably a good book for younger kids. It's transparently didactic at points, but there are worse sins in the world.
Debbie
I have enjoyed reading these books to my grandchildren. Their eyes get big and they have learned to stretch their imaginations. Even the younger ones who would normally enjoy picture stories more, get very involved with these exciting adventures. When I come to the end of a chapter, it's "More, More Gramma, More.
Madkropotkin
Not my cup of tea, but my son enjoyed the story. I had to help him a bit in the reading, but I think he is ready for these books.

The story is very linear and a little too quick, but taking into consideration that this is a children's book, it has a decent pace, which the little ones should enjoy.
Makayla Partin
That book was nothing what I thought it would be. From the cover of the book I thought that the octopus was trying to drown Jack and Annie when it was really trying to help them. I liked the book because it shows that aways try your hardest and no matter how much you hate then don't hurt animals.
  • Knights and Castles (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #2)
  • The Zombie Zone (A to Z Mysteries, #26)
More about Mary Pope Osborne...
Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1) The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2) Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3) Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4) Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)

“I do love it. But I want you two to have it. Today, you taught me- no, you taught all of us- an important lesson. It is a dark day in the deep sea when we cause innocent creatures to suffer. The professor said we can conquer our fears through knowledge. But you taught us that our fears can best be conquered through compassion. Even we scientists must never forget to have compassion for all living creatures. My compassion for the little creature that once lived in this shell made me very happy.” 7 likes