Start by marking “My Friend Has Autism” as Want to Read:

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  75 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
My friend Zack has a disability called autism. But that doesn t matter to us. We talk about airplanes, build models, and enjoy hanging out at each other s house. I m glad Zack is my friend!"
Published February 1st 2010 by Picture Window Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about My Friend Has Autism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Friend Has Autism

Isabella
Jan 22, 2015 Isabella rated it liked it
It's a good story to explain that just because someone is different doesn't mean that you can't be friends with them.
Julianne
Feb 15, 2015 Julianne rated it really liked it
Nonfiction/ Twin Text Entry #4

My Friend Has Autism utilizes a story format to help children become more empathetic towards others who are different. This book portrays two best friends who share a common interest in planes. The narrator is one of the boys who talks, in a way young children can understand, about what it is like to have a friend who has autism. The book also provides some scientific facts on a few of the pages.

The twin text was The Pirate of Kindergarten. This story is written fr
Nicole
Feb 13, 2014 Nicole rated it it was amazing
by Amanda Doering Tourville

Raise your hand if you have a best friend? In your mind, think about what some activities you enjoy doing with your friend. How are you and your friend alike and different? Do you and your friend disagree and fight with each other? This book is about the friendship between two boys, but one friend has autism. Does anyone know what autism means? When a child has autism it is sometimes harder for the child to make friends, show feelings, or engage in
Kaitlyn Petkowski
Mar 30, 2016 Kaitlyn Petkowski rated it it was amazing
This book is about Nick and his friend Zack, who has autism. The book goes through the difficulties children with autism have in their day to day lives. Explaining why children with the disability act certain way around people, but also showing the bond the two children have.

This book is an accurate representation of what it is like to have a friend with autism. Growing up one of my best friends was autistic. She really liked a certain tv show and that was all she would talk about. The book port
Nicole
Dec 23, 2015 Nicole rated it it was amazing
This is actually a really cute book that gently explains autism. It goes on to explain different sensory issues a child might have.

"I wrestle with my friends but not with Zack. Zack doesn't like to be touched. Not even to pin on his cool new pilot pin!"

On each page there's a little "did you know" that explains why a child with autism may behave a certain way.

The narrator (another child) explains at the end that being friends with Zack makes him happy, even if they do things a little differently
Brittany Upshaw
"My Friend Has Autism", written by Amanda Tourville is a story about two young boys. The narrator Nick, speak about all the things that he and Zack have in common. Zack is the character who has autism. Throughout the story Nick speaks about all the things that him and Zack like. One of their interest involves airplanes. They love airplanes so much that they started an airplane club. One of the main things that caught my attention while reading the story was the "did you know" questions. I though ...more
Widad Hussein
Jun 23, 2012 Widad Hussein rated it it was amazing
This book has two main characters, Nick and Zack. The point of view is through Zack and it takes place in his home and school. The book was about Zack, a child who has autism and how Nick is friends with him. Throughout the story, he explains the different types of things Zach has to deal with because of his disability. Airplanes are one thing that connected their friendship because they both like it. Every couple pages, there's a small snippet that gives facts about autism. The main idea is rea ...more
Kristina Moss
This narrative tells about two friends and their unique friendship. The narrator, Nick talks about all the wonderful things him and Zack has in common but also the one difference that sets them apart. Although they have similar love for airplanes the only thing that makes them different is that Zack has Autism. Nick also highlights things such as Zack’s strengths as well as his weakness (Zack knows a lot about airplanes, it can seem like he’s in his own world.) As a teacher, I will use this text ...more
Kristine
May 07, 2015 Kristine rated it it was amazing
This is such a great book that teaches kids that even though someone may be different from you doesn't mean that you can't be friends. Especially if that person has a disability, they can do just as much as you can. I think all kids should read this book.
Kyle Turck
Feb 28, 2013 Kyle Turck rated it really liked it
My Friend Has Autism is a great story about exactly what the title says it's about, a child who's friend has autism. The story is told from a very cool perspective, that being a boy and his very good friend, and while he explains what a child with autism goes through, the friend perspective is what is important in the story. It is more about two boys, one of which who just happens to have autism and what that means to the friendship.

I would suggest this as classroom reading, especially if there
Monica
Feb 15, 2014 Monica rated it really liked it
Good introduction to ASD and good discussion starter of difference. Kid-friendly language and glossary, index and further reading sections at the back. I really liked this book!
Maria Bulfamante
Jan 22, 2015 Maria Bulfamante rated it really liked it
I like this book a lot to. It is definitely a great read and I would tell everyone to go read it!
Rachel
Dec 12, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful story about two children, one with autism. It talks about their friendship and mostly about what is autism and what does it look like. I would recommend this story to any parent or teacher who wants to introduce the topic of autism to their child or students. It presents a great introduction to the topics and helps the child be more understanding of the disorder and of others who have the disability.
Megan Zimmerman
Oct 28, 2012 Megan Zimmerman rated it really liked it
A look at two friends, one has Autism, and how this doesn't affect the friendship, they are still able to play and have fun together. They still fight and have disagreements like normal friends. This is an excellent source for teaching students about Autism, and other disabilities, and how students who may have a disability are not really any different from you and me.
B
Mar 15, 2013 B rated it really liked it
A picture book treatment of two friends that share a common interest in model airplanes. Because Zack has autism, Nick has to remember that Zack doesn't socialize like other children and is affected by senses differently.
The illustrations are wonderful,and the way Nick describes his friendship is very sweet. There isn't alot of information on autism itself.
Tiffany Young
Apr 15, 2012 Tiffany Young rated it it was amazing
In this story, a boy describes his friendship with a boy who has Autism. He explains what it is and why his friends doesn't like somethings. This would be great to use as a read aloud if there are students in your classroom with autism, to help the class understand what it means. Great book!
ReadingWench
A great informative book about Nick and his friend Zack who has Autism. This book would be great for a child who was about to encounter someone with Autism.

AR 3.0
Codie Gates
In this book, a boy describes his friendship with a boy who has Autism. He explains what it is and why his friends doesn't like somethings.
Candace
this book identifies similarities between children who have and don't have autism in a way that makes all children feel equal.
Heather
Apr 21, 2013 Heather rated it liked it
Great introducing autism to children in a friendly way
Cindy Koch
Cindy Koch marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Jacqueline Hernandez
Jacqueline Hernandez marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Karrie Winkelman
Karrie Winkelman rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2016
•Carrie•
•Carrie• rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Kelli Santistevan
Kelli Santistevan marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Shyla Montero
Shyla Montero rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2016
FSN
FSN marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »