Start by marking “Prison to Praise” as Want to Read:
Prison to Praise

Prison to Praise

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  408 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Published July 26th 1970 by Merlin R Carothers (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Prison to Praise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prison to Praise

Mere Christianity by C.S. LewisThe Shack by Wm. Paul YoungThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisThe Purpose Driven Life by Rick WarrenThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Favorite Christian Books
408th out of 1,220 books — 929 voters
Revealing Heaven by Kat KerrThe How, What and Why of Talking to God by Rivka LevyThe Atheist Bible by Daniel S FletcherReleasing God's Anointing by Mel BondChildren Books by Ruthz S.B.
A Deeper Walk with God
13th out of 20 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Angela
Sep 04, 2008 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: kingdom-living
This book really taught me to give thanks for all things not just the good things.
Guna
Jun 16, 2015 Guna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith, non-fiction
This was a life-changing book for me. It is small, but with a powerful message. Carothers believes that we petition God too much, and what we need to do is praise Him for everything that comes our way, seemingly bad or not. Even the 'bad' stuff can teach us important things about ourselves and how we need to relate to God.
Susan
Dec 24, 2013 Susan rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013books
Many people list this as the most unusual book they have ever read. Millions say it changed their lives and introduced them to the solution to their problems. This is not a book about a prison with bars, but about a prison of circumstances-and how to be set free!

This was recommended by a friend who was convinced that it had changed her life. Well I'm afraid it didn't do the same for me! It raised more questions than it answered. I really don't understand why soldiers would ask God for trivial t
Gerri Alexander
Apr 23, 2011 Gerri Alexander rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology, grief
Have you ever had the dream/nightmare that you signed up for a class you didn't know about, never studied for, and maybe don't even know where the classroon is but you have to take the test? We make our plans, but other things happen--Marriages and businesses fail, childen die, hopes are dashed. We don't know what to do when we fail.

This is the first book in a series by this author, who went from being an inmate in a military prison to becoming a military chaplain.

The author learned by experien
Trioni
Sep 05, 2011 Trioni rated it it was amazing
Honestly I didn't want to read it at first, but eventually I decided to give it a try and the amazing thing was once I started reading it I couldn't put it down. It is as if this book were written to specifically encourage and guide me, personally. This book has changed my way of thinking in regards to tough times and towards difficult situations. I learned to praise God for the good, the bad and the ugly!!! Amazing book!!
Julie
Jul 12, 2016 Julie rated it it was amazing
While I was uneasy with some of his theology, this book is an amazing testimony of God's work in one man's life. I devoured it in less than two days. The more Carothers submitted to the will of God, the more God's power was visible in his life. The last few years have been SO difficult for us. I've praised God during the storm. I've been thankful in spite of our problems and for the good that has come out of them. However, I have not given thanks and praise for a sick daughter. I have not given ...more
Irene Griffin
May 27, 2014 Irene Griffin rated it it was amazing
This easy read changed the dynamic of my relationship with God. Of course this is also includes my praying and the totality of how I live my life before the Creator of the Universe.
Jonathan Brenneman
May 29, 2016 Jonathan Brenneman rated it it was amazing
I love testimonies, and this book is full of them! The truths about praise are powerful and have the potential to revolutionize your life if you put them into practice.

The author seems to come from the viewpoint of believing that God is in control of everything. Although I strongly disagree with his theology on this point, I do believe that God "works all things for good to those who love Him and are called according to his purpose." God takes what the enemy meant for evil and turns it around f
Robin Hatcher
Mar 22, 2013 Robin Hatcher rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
God used this book to help bring me to faith. It will always hold a special place in my heart because of that.
Mark
Jul 27, 2014 Mark rated it it was amazing
Certainly the best Christian book I've read, besides C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity. Carothers just died a few months ago - a rascal turned chaplain, this book dispels any nothing of "just prayer." His approach to thanking God in all circumstances will change your life - it did mine.
Nancy
Feb 20, 2015 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Read this book a long time ago, it changed my life. I have been able to give thanks in all things and when I do so the weight of my worries lifts off me and a film comes off my eyes and I see the beauty and wonder around me.... I am forever grateful

Cindy
Nov 01, 2008 Cindy rated it it was ok
Recommended to Cindy by: Christy
A friend gave me this book for my birthday. It is about a man who changed his life by giving thanks to God for everything that happens, especially the bad things. He became a chaplain and has spread his message to many other people.

It was a little hard for me to get through because of some of the "holy roller" (I don't mean any offense) type of worship, that I don't necessarily agree with. However, I do believe that it is important for us to show gratitude for everything we have been given, inc
Jerome Kuseh
Jul 12, 2014 Jerome Kuseh rated it it was ok
Read this a very long time ago. I enjoyed reading the experience of Merlin from the military to becoming a preacher then back to military as a chaplain.
Brandon H.
Mar 19, 2016 Brandon H. rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this little book. It's Merlin Carothers' testimony of how he came to Christ and how God took him from prison to becoming a pastor and then into the service as a military chaplain.
Roger Haurigi
Sep 08, 2015 Roger Haurigi rated it it was amazing
a motivational book,inspiring me to praying constantly and experienced miracle and blessing daily with The Lord Jesus.
Angela
Jun 11, 2014 Angela rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. Reading His journey encouraged me. Hearing the testimonies was very uplifting. A must read
Kaelyn Grant
Jan 01, 2016 Kaelyn Grant rated it it was amazing
Easy to read. One man's journey in getting, growing and sharing his testimony of Jesus Christ.
Cheri Jackson
I loved this book; it was very illuminating.
Evg
Incredible book!!!
Kymberly
Oct 30, 2008 Kymberly rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Kymberly by: Janie (voice teacher)
Shelves: favorites
This book is very good except I disagree with the speaking in tongues part. The Bible says you have to have an interupter so th rest could understand. I really enjoy the stories on trusting God.

I finished the book last night. I really enjoyed the stories. And realized I need to pray about everything, whether or not to buy bananas... not just the big things but in all things. In the last two days, I have seen such a change in my attitude! Thanks IN everything.

Cindy
I found this very helpful in my life. Want to discuss it with my sisters.
Jo Ann
Jan 23, 2014 Jo Ann rated it liked it
This was a good reminder of some basic Biblical teachings about faith and praising in all things!
Leanne
Mar 24, 2012 Leanne added it
My dad lent me this book....and it sat on my bookshelf for months, when again he told me that the book changed his life. Well I don't know if it's going to change mine but it made me think differently about the bad times in life and how unbeknownst to us we need to thank God for those times. Everything works for good for those who love God, I hope this is true. Good quick read. Only didn't like the condescending tone of the book.
Linda
Jun 13, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it
Honestly, I didn't want to like this book. It is not the kind of book I would choose to read. But I did enjoy it and learned some wonderful things about God and praying from it. If you are seeking God or want to know what God wants from you and your prayers, this book may be a huge help. It is an extremely short, quick read as well.
Louetta Powell
Dec 31, 2011 Louetta Powell rated it it was amazing
An easy read that is both uplifting and eye-opening. A great gift for someone you love going through hard times. Those who need this book most may like it the least but push them to keep going. This book could be just what the doctor ordered but like most medicine, it may not taste so great going down.
Val Silver
Nov 29, 2013 Val Silver rated it it was amazing
This little book with the message to give thanks in and for everything in your life literally changed my life for the better. It is not an easy message, but it is one when taken to heart, is most powerful. I read the book over 25 years ago and still remember the lessons I learned from it.
Paul
Sep 07, 2008 Paul rated it it was amazing
Great short stories about how praising/thanking in the midst of trials brings the supernatural power of God. Very easy to read and understand - a great way to get off the bottom of the spiritual mountain and begin to trust in the sovereignty of God.
Amanda Hill
Mar 29, 2013 Amanda Hill rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful touching book. I've never read a book that made me feel so great about where I am in life right now, this book is a must read. Absoulutly, read this book, so amazing, I know I'll be picking it up again in the near future to read again.
  • The Harvest
  • Assumptions That Affect Our Lives: How Worldviews Determine Values That Influence Behavior and Shape Culture
  • They Shall Expel Demons: What You Need to Know about Demons—Your Invisible Enemies
  • Words That Hurt, Words That Heal: How to Choose Words Wisely and Well
  • The Christian's Secret of a Happy Life
  • 30 Days to Understanding the Bible in 15 Minutes in a Day
  • The Mediterranean Diet
  • Blessing Your Spirit
  • Shooting Star (Saga of the Sierras #7)
  • Growing Deep in the Christian Life
  • How to do just about anything
Merlin Carothers is an author of several bestsellers on the subject of praising God. His books are translated into 53 languages, and there have been over 17 million copies printed. During World War II, he served as a parachutist, pilot, demolition expert, lieutenant colonel, and a personal guard of Eisenhower. Later he returned to the army as a chaplain. Since then he has become an evangelist and ...more
More about Merlin R. Carothers...