Prison to Praise

Prison to Praise

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  283 ratings  ·  42 reviews
A new edition of a work which extolls the power of praise at all times. Merlin Carothers describes how his life was transformed by finding faith, and in this text he uses stories from his own experience to encourage the praising of God in all circumstances.
Published June 1st 1970 by Merlin R. Carothers (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Prison to Praise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prison to Praise

Angela
This book really taught me to give thanks for all things not just the good things.
Susan
Many people list this as the most unusual book they have ever read. Millions say it changed their lives and introduced them to the solution to their problems. This is not a book about a prison with bars, but about a prison of circumstances-and how to be set free!

This was recommended by a friend who was convinced that it had changed her life. Well I'm afraid it didn't do the same for me! It raised more questions than it answered. I really don't understand why soldiers would ask God for trivial t...more
Levi
This book is a quick read, easily digestible and very straightforward. Overall, it promotes an attitude that I cannot help but laud wholeheartedly, namely that of dependence upon God and the importance of faith.

The teaching in this book, with the exception of a few technicalities or points of doctrine notwithstanding, is a good reminder for Christians. However, the stories in the book are often very incomplete and leave the reader wondering why Mr. Carothers did not go into much more detail abou...more
Gerri Alexander
Have you ever had the dream/nightmare that you signed up for a class you didn't know about, never studied for, and maybe don't even know where the classroon is but you have to take the test? We make our plans, but other things happen--Marriages and businesses fail, childen die, hopes are dashed. We don't know what to do when we fail.

This is the first book in a series by this author, who went from being an inmate in a military prison to becoming a military chaplain.

The author learned by experien...more
Tri
Honestly I didn't want to read it at first, but eventually I decided to give it a try and the amazing thing was once I started reading it I couldn't put it down. It is as if this book were written to specifically encourage and guide me, personally. This book has changed my way of thinking in regards to tough times and towards difficult situations. I learned to praise God for the good, the bad and the ugly!!! Amazing book!!
Mark
Certainly the best Christian book I've read, besides C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity. Carothers just died a few months ago - a rascal turned chaplain, this book dispels any nothing of "just prayer." His approach to thanking God in all circumstances will change your life - it did mine.
Irene Griffin
This easy read changed the dynamic of my relationship with God. Of course this is also includes my praying and the totality of how I live my life before the Creator of the Universe.
Cindy
Nov 01, 2008 Cindy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Cindy by: Christy
A friend gave me this book for my birthday. It is about a man who changed his life by giving thanks to God for everything that happens, especially the bad things. He became a chaplain and has spread his message to many other people.

It was a little hard for me to get through because of some of the "holy roller" (I don't mean any offense) type of worship, that I don't necessarily agree with. However, I do believe that it is important for us to show gratitude for everything we have been given, inc...more
Jerome Kuseh
Read this a very long time ago. I enjoyed reading the experience of Merlin from the military to becoming a preacher then back to military as a chaplain.
Angela
Absolutely loved this book. Reading His journey encouraged me. Hearing the testimonies was very uplifting. A must read
Cheri Jackson
I loved this book; it was very illuminating.
Kymberly
Oct 30, 2008 Kymberly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Kymberly by: Janie (voice teacher)
Shelves: favorites
This book is very good except I disagree with the speaking in tongues part. The Bible says you have to have an interupter so th rest could understand. I really enjoy the stories on trusting God.

I finished the book last night. I really enjoyed the stories. And realized I need to pray about everything, whether or not to buy bananas... not just the big things but in all things. In the last two days, I have seen such a change in my attitude! Thanks IN everything.

Jo Ann
This was a good reminder of some basic Biblical teachings about faith and praising in all things!
Leanne
Mar 24, 2012 Leanne added it
My dad lent me this book....and it sat on my bookshelf for months, when again he told me that the book changed his life. Well I don't know if it's going to change mine but it made me think differently about the bad times in life and how unbeknownst to us we need to thank God for those times. Everything works for good for those who love God, I hope this is true. Good quick read. Only didn't like the condescending tone of the book.
Linda
Honestly, I didn't want to like this book. It is not the kind of book I would choose to read. But I did enjoy it and learned some wonderful things about God and praying from it. If you are seeking God or want to know what God wants from you and your prayers, this book may be a huge help. It is an extremely short, quick read as well.
Louetta Powell
An easy read that is both uplifting and eye-opening. A great gift for someone you love going through hard times. Those who need this book most may like it the least but push them to keep going. This book could be just what the doctor ordered but like most medicine, it may not taste so great going down.
Val Silver
This little book with the message to give thanks in and for everything in your life literally changed my life for the better. It is not an easy message, but it is one when taken to heart, is most powerful. I read the book over 25 years ago and still remember the lessons I learned from it.
Paul
Great short stories about how praising/thanking in the midst of trials brings the supernatural power of God. Very easy to read and understand - a great way to get off the bottom of the spiritual mountain and begin to trust in the sovereignty of God.
Amanda Hill
Such a wonderful touching book. I've never read a book that made me feel so great about where I am in life right now, this book is a must read. Absoulutly, read this book, so amazing, I know I'll be picking it up again in the near future to read again.
Mark
The writing is short, direct, and straight-to-the-point. The stories about his experiences kind of drag on at times, but most are enlightening to his story of growth in faith. But the last two chapters more than make up for any deficiencies!
Matt Evans
A friend gave me this to me because he wanted me to understand the evangelical concept of praise. The same friend recommended that I read one Old Testamental Psalm every day. I like the Psalms, but I raced through this book. You could do worse.
Stephan Labossiere
I really enjoyed this book, and learned a valuable lesson. Praising GOD in all things good or bad has really helped me and has proven itself to be the way to live my life. It was easy to read and definitely a book I recommend to all.
Jim
Great book with true stories that are very encouraging! Praising God isn't for just the good times, this book was definitely challenging in areas, but reminds us how to praise God in the storms of life.
Kara
I read this initially because Weston Noble recommended it. I have reread it many times and often given it to others because it is fascinating and because someday i hope to live a life of greater praise.
Joel Glenny
Really encouraging and reminded me of the power of Praise in all things! It was inspirational, I didnt really learn much from this book, but was reminded about very important foundational truths!
Brittany Crane
Although this book is not a LDS book I really enjoyed the it and thought it taught the principle of praising God very well. I try harder to praise God after reading this book. I recommend it.
Allen Steele
was asked to read this book, and beside some doctrinal issues it was quite good..did learn to look at my circumstances more objectively & to pray & praise more often
Mukkove Johnson
I really enjoy his honest and amazing story. Praising God when we don't understand reminds us He really is in control and everything will be all right.
Belinda
This book was one of the first books I have ever read after becoming a Christian. It helped me to see things in a Godly way. To praise the Lord in all things.
Derek
This book had a very good message behind it. Although its been a while since I've read it, I remember its primary message. "In all things give Thanks!"
  • They Shall Expel Demons: What You Need to Know about Demons—Your Invisible Enemies
  • The Final Quest
  • 30 Days to Understanding the Bible in 15 Minutes in a Day
  • Daily Bible, with Devotional Insights to Guide You Through God's Word: NIV
  • We Become What We Worship: A Biblical Theology of Idolatry
  • Lords of the Earth
  • The Christian's Secret Of A Happy Life (Hendrickson Christian Classics)
  • Whatever Happened to Worship?: A Call to True Worship
  • The Joy of Fearing God
  • The Gospel of the Kingdom: Scriptural Studies in the Kingdom of God
  • On Being a Servant of God
  • The Man in the Mirror: Solving the 24 Problems Men Face
  • The Potter's Freedom: A Defense of the Reformation and the Rebuttal of Norman Geisler's Chosen But Free
Merlin Carothers is an author of several bestsellers on the subject of praising God. His books are translated into 53 languages, and there have been over 17 million copies printed. During World War II, he served as a parachutist, pilot, demolition expert, lieutenant colonel, and a personal guard of Eisenhower. Later he returned to the army as a chaplain. Since then he has become an evangelist and...more
More about Merlin R. Carothers...
Power in Praise - How the Spiritual Dynamic of Praise Revolutionizes Lives Whats on Your Mind Bringing Heaven Into Hell Praise Works Victory on Praise Mountain