Start by marking “The Night I Got Lucky” as Want to Read:
The Night I Got Lucky

The Night I Got Lucky

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  394 ratings  ·  32 reviews
When Billy Rendell suddenly gets everything she wants, it turns out to be the last thing she needs . . .

A long-awaited promotion. Freedom from emotional baggage. A newly -- ahem -- amorous husband. What's wrong with this picture? Well . . . everything. For starters, Billy hasn't actually earned any of it. Instead, like some character in a fairy tale, this stuck-in-a-rut p

Published September 1st 2005 by Red Dress Ink (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Night I Got Lucky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night I Got Lucky

Slightly Single by Wendy MarkhamSee Jane Date by Melissa SenateMilkrun by Sarah MlynowskiScot On The Rocks by Brenda JanowitzSorcery and the Single Girl by Mindy Klasky
Best Red Dress Ink Books
64th out of 107 books — 23 voters
90 Miles to Freedom by K.C. HiltonThe Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. HeinleinFour Past Midnight by Stephen KingA Midsummer Night's Dream by William ShakespeareThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Night Sky
132nd out of 249 books — 42 voters

More lists with this book...

Sharal Hunter
This was one of the books that have been languishing on my to be read pile, gathering dust for years. I am still despondent that the Red Dress Ink line was discontinued. Nothing brought a smile to my face like opening my mailbox to find my monthly arrivals waiting for me. If I weren’t already a fan of Laura Caldwell’s books, The Night I Got Lucky would have made me one.

Billy Rendell is a character anyone can relate to and I found myself empathizing with her immensely. Everything from the angst
Elusive
‘The Night I Got Lucky’ is about Billy who is unhappy with almost everything in her life. She longs for a promotion, wants her husband, Chris to be as attentive as he used to be, desires for her co-worker to reciprocate her feelings, hopes that her mother starts living her own life and wishes she could forget about her father. After her eccentric therapist gives her a frog, her life literally changes overnight.

This sort of storyline has been used time and again but Caldwell made the most out of
Coco
Be careful what you wish for...

Let me be honest, I had originally started reading this book because I wanted something light to read after a 1000 page forth book of a five book series. I definitely didn't plan to fall in love with "The Night I Got Lucky". Yet.... I did, and I fell hard. This book has made me contemplate my own wants and dreams in ways that I never have before. Might just need to take another look at my list of dreams, something tells me I'll see them in a completely new light.
Kathy
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
If you are in the mood for a light chick lit read - grab this one. It is cute and sweet and even has a message to take away. The main character Billy (yes, a female named Billy, she blames her father) is not so happily married and not so happily working as an account executive at a PR firm. She visits a therapist and then overnight her life changes and all the things she was complaining about in therapy have changed for the positive. But as she lives this new life she sees the negative amongst a ...more
Athena
Summary: the main character is an average girl with average problems. She wants more attention from her husband, a promotion, a mom that is less suffocating, etc. So in the style of the 80's "trading places" movies, she gets a magic luck charm from the orient that grants all her wishes over night. Viola! She has the better job, etc, etc. I think the book would have been better if what she wanted was outrageous, if she woke up a rock star or a famous author on a book signing tour and was married ...more
Kellie
There was a reason I stopped reading books from the Red Dress Ink line. Originally, I quite enjoyed them, and can easily name several titles I'd be happy to reread or recommend, but basically I guess I just kind of outgrew them. They started to feel formulaic and I felt I could no longer relate to the characters.

I picked this one up because it was recommended by someone with similar tastes and also because I've enjoyed Laura Caldwell's other RDI titles. However, this one fell flat for me. For so
Cathy
What a great book! This was my first Laura Caldwell and I will definitely be checking out more of her novels. I really enjoyed the lighterheartedness of this book and then about half way through, the tone shifted and the reader got a bit of a moral lesson too.In this fast paced world we live in, you always hear people trying to attain this goal and that goal...but this book emphasizes that it is not the destination, but the journey that really counts. It was very interesting, unique and fun to r ...more
I thought this was going to be some racy sex themed book (which I'm not sure why I'd pick that), but it totally wasn't. The library was selling it for a quarter so I didn't have high hopes for it. However, it was a very good entertaining book. I told someone it was kinda like reading a grown up version of a kids book---completely unrealistic but you still want to read it.

The gist of the story is this lady found out with the help of a frog figurine, everything isn't greener on the other side and
Piccadilly
Jenn
This was a cute story, even if it was pretty predictable. In some cases it reminded me of "The Monkey's Paw" and overly all reminded me of an up to date fairly tale.

A much better read than the other two novels I have read by Laura Caldwell, including the mystery/thriller (which I can't remember the name of offhand.)
Audrey
I don't normally admit to reading the Chick-Lit books, the same way I don't admit to eating the entire box of chocolate donuts. This book was a nice change of pace from the usual chick-lit types - a truly good ending that is deeper than just the "woman power" roars that fade as fast as the sugar buzz.
Sara
Really enjoyed this book. Chick lit at its finest - light hearted, funny, and a quick read. I liked the characters and also enjoyed the lessons from the book. I highly recommend this book if you are looking for a quick, easy, entertaining read!
Andrienne
It started ok (I.e not boring) but when she got what she wanted, the story went downhill. I thought the main character would change, but she didn't. It was annoying to read how ungrateful she became given the chances. Glad I only borrowed this book.
Cicely
LOVED that it was based in Chicago - other than that pretty similar to all others - good read for the summer, if you don't want to think about much...
Abby
This book looks at the question is getting everything you want really going to make it all better or does it come with its own set of problems. A fun premisis.
Courtney
It was fine. A little silly, in Brittney Murphy movie kind of way. But it was quick and cute, and takes place in Chicago!
Claire
Not bad. I liked it. If can go past the first chapter then I'm good to go. I actually read in 2 days. Well, 2 nights. LOL
Shh I'm reading!
Egh. I love reading Chicago based books, and be careful what you wish for themes but didn't actually enjoy this one.
Courtney
I enjoyed this book, and while the ending was a bit predictable, I enjoyed the change of pace it allowed.
Margie
This was very cute. A fun, easy read. I can easily see how the author could write a sequel.
Angela
Jul 26, 2008 Angela rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes chick lit and magic realism.
Shelves: chick-lit
Best book by Caldwell. I finished it in one weekend. It was that good! It was magical.
Charity
Very good story about getting everything you want, but not necessarily wanting everything you get.
Gina
good, light fiction on lesson about "it's the about the journey, not the destination."
Chelsea Laviguer
what you wish for isn't always what you want....be cafeful what you wish for
Brin Brin
Umm...how can you not like this book w/ a title like that???
Ali
Like a Sophie Kinsella plot, but zero humor.
Teena in Toronto
Fluffy quick read.

Not great but not bad.
Kari
Too fast. A little cliche. QUICK.
Dawn
Easy and enjoyable read.
  • The Romancipation of Maggie Hunter
  • The Last Year of Being Single (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Marrying Up
  • Jack with a Twist: Engaging Your Adversary and Other Things They Don't Teach You in Law School (Brooke Miller, #2)
  • Bombshell
  • The Jinx (Rachel Benjamin, #2)
  • Starting from Square Two
  • Joyride
  • A New Lu
  • Up & Out (Red Dress Ink)
  • Speechless
  • Tart
  • Questions to Ask Before Marrying
  • My Life Uncovered
  • Girl Most Likely to
  • Getting Personal
  • Mean Season (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Sleeping Over
Laura Caldwell is a Chicago-based lawyer turned novelist. Her first book, Burning the Map, was selected by Barnes & Noble.com as one of The Best of 2002. Following that, A Clean Slate received a starred review from Booklist. The release of The Year of Living Famously and The Night I Got Lucky prompted Booklist to declare, “Caldwell is one of the most talented and inventive...writers around.”

La
More about Laura Caldwell...
The Year of Living Famously Burning The Map A Clean Slate Red Hot Lies (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #1) Red Blooded Murder (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #2)