Start by marking “Steal This Computer Book 4.0: What They Won't Tell You about the Internet” as Want to Read:
Steal This Computer Book 4.0: What They Won't Tell You about the Internet

Steal This Computer Book 4.0: What They Won't Tell You about the Internet

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  15 reviews
National bestseller with over 175,000 copies sold!

If you thought hacking was just about mischief-makers hunched over computers in the basement, think again. As seasoned author Wallace Wang explains, hacking can also mean questioning the status quo, looking for your own truths, and never accepting at face value anything authorities say or do.

The completely revised fourth ed
Published May 18th 2006 by No Starch Press (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Steal This Computer Book 4.0, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steal This Computer Book 4.0

Esteban del Mal
1/27/10: Have finally waded past the preface on this one. Don't know how seriously I can take a book that proposes the relative nature of truth and then slaps you with an Ayn Rand quote to make the point. I. Loathe. Objectivism.

***

Um, I have better things to do than finish this. Like huff glue.
Chris
Jan 31, 2010 Chris rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Novice computer/Internet users with a passion to learn
I liked this book from a historical perspective. It gives a very nice overview of the history of hacking and how it has developed. While I had heard of or read most of the stories presented it was still a very enjoyable read from that point of view.

However once it got into modern hacking and how to protect yourself, it got out of its depth. Obviously no printed book can keep up with modern security exploits and vulnerabilities as they develop, so I can't really hold a grudge against it.

Despite
Armando
A must read for everyone
Martin Rose
Informative for those looking for an overview on a variety of subjects . . . though talk to those far more advanced with computer tech, software, telephone systems, internet, and they'd probably use this book as a coaster for a coffee mug instead of reading material. Don't think this will provide you with any level of mastery, but for a writer like myself, it suffices . . .
stephanie cat
Jan 30, 2008 stephanie cat rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: computer people, anyone who wants to know more about the internet
Recommended to stephanie by: my dad (weird, I know...)
Shelves: favourites
An awesome book about hacking, cracking, and loads of other stuff! This book goes behind the scenes of the internet, down to all the stuff everyone won't tell you about. Wallace Wang delivers brilliant narrative, along with random stories. A great book for computer nerds like me!
Chip Miller
5,000 foot view of computer hacking.

Though most of the techniques are outdated, the book introduces you to various network architectures (most defiantly the books actual purpose). The book comes with a disk of various hacking/security software (fun for the whole family).
P.W.
Interesting, but pretty basic. If you actually work in the Computer Security industry this is mostly popcorn with a few "I'd never heard of that website before" nuggets thrown in.

If you *aren't* a Computer Security type person it's pretty eye-opening, if not kind of dated.
Keith Seekwhence
An overall informative and good read. This version is a combination of the first three editions after extreme censoring and editing but additionally brought up to date to continually expand on exploitations of the internet and the systems that run atop and behind it.
Jason Chaos
Oct 31, 2007 Jason Chaos added it
Recommends it for: all
Okay I tried stealing this from borders but got caught shoplifting...WTF? nah, excellent book, tells you lots of stuff if you're a total idiot when it comes to computers...even refreshing for hacks and wannabe hacks.
Christian Barraza
Nice history lesson on how hacking evolve. Learned new things about the latest trends. Very useful software found on the attached disk. Reccomend it.
Thumper
Unfortunately, I am unable to complete this book because it has run away from home. Pretty funny considering the title!!
cbbrnk
Sep 08, 2007 cbbrnk rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2007
A good book if you want to know a lot about the internet and how hackers can get you.
Corey Brown
amazing read. great way to see the mindset of real hacker s
Case
Too elementary for me. Nothing new.
Kacy
Kacy marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Computeristgeek
Computeristgeek marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Matic Zupancic
Matic Zupancic marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Brooks Houck
Brooks Houck marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Mirinda Crissman
Mirinda Crissman marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Razvan-gabriel Coman
Razvan-gabriel Coman marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • No Tech Hacking: A Guide to Social Engineering, Dumpster Diving, and Shoulder Surfing
  • Gray Hat Hacking: The Ethical Hacker's Handbook
  • Counter Hack Reloaded: A Step-By-Step Guide to Computer Attacks and Effective Defenses
  • Fatal System Error: The Hunt for the New Crime Lords Who are Bringing Down the Internet
  • Violent Python: A Cookbook for Hackers, Forensic Analysts, Penetration Testers and Security Engineers
  • Silence on the Wire: A Field Guide to Passive Reconnaissance and Indirect Attacks
  • Reversing: Secrets of Reverse Engineering
  • The Wikipedia Revolution: How a Bunch of Nobodies Created the World's Greatest Encyclopedia
  • Discrete Mathematics with Applications
  • Practical Packet Analysis: Using Wireshark to Solve Real-World Network Problems
  • The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing: Ethical Hacking and Penetration Testing Made Easy
  • Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide
  • Practical Cryptography
  • Hacking: The Art of Exploitation
  • Writing Secure Code
  • Gray Hat Python: Python Programming for Hackers and Reverse Engineers
  • The Book of CSS3: A Developer's Guide to the Future of Web Design
  • Nightwork: A History of Hacks and Pranks at MIT

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Beginning Programming for Dummies [With CDROM] Steal This Computer Book: What They Won't Tell you About the Internet Steal This Computer Book 3: What They Won't Tell You about the Internet Steal This Computer Book 2: What They Won't Tell You About the Internet Beginning Programming All-In-One Desk Reference for Dummies