A Clean Slate

A Clean Slate

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  590 ratings  ·  39 reviews
A Clean Slate chronicles the days of Kelly McGraw, a Chicago woman who suddenly can't remember the last five months of her life, a time when she was dumped by her soon-to-be fiance and laid off by the company she thought would make her partner. Overwhelmed and confused but otherwise feeling wonderful, she begins to realize that she has a clean slate in life. She can do any...more
Published November 1st 2003 by Red Dress Ink (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about A Clean Slate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Clean Slate

The Princess Diaries by Meg CabotRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareThe Luxe by Anna GodbersenPerfect by Sara ShepardThe Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa
In the Pink
309th out of 1,005 books — 343 voters
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingThe Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerThe Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
Best Books of 2003
183rd out of 289 books — 161 voters

More lists with this book...

Writer's Relief
At some point in life, you may have wished for a new beginning, a chance to erase all of your misfortunes. In Laura Caldwell’s A CLEAN SLATE, Kelly McGraw is suddenly given an opportunity to start over from scratch and is left to wonder…why?

Her life was going according to plan: Her long-time boyfriend was on the cusp of proposing, she recently moved into an amazing Chicago townhouse, and her boss was sure to name her partner of the firm.

But Kelly wakes up one morning to find that she is now si...more
WhiteOak Library
Although the group wasn't thrilled with this title, we still had a great discussion and our book club is growing!

Questions for discussion:

1. One of the themes of the novel is the concept that our lives are always ours to remake. Why does it take a memory loss for Kelly to realize that? Where do you see her in five years? Ten years?

2.Did you fault Laney when she admitted that she had, in a way, enjoyed it when Kelly was depressed? Have you ever experienced a time when you felt needed and importan...more
This wasn't a typical chick lit book, although it did have some of those elements with a twist. I liked how it didn't have a neat and tidy happily-ever-after ending. It was more realistic in that the character doesn't know what will happen, but she is optimistic. I liked how she sucks it up in the end and takes jobs that she thinks are "beneath" her in order to pursue her passion. She doesn't automatically start out making big bucks doing photography. She starts at the bottom as an assistant mak...more
Donna
A good quick read. I liked the story, it was fun & light.

Although there was nothing earth shattering or truly breathtaking about this book, the characters were likable enough and the (not too subtle) underlying theme/moral of the story is universal. Everyone needs a reminder to stay true to themselves and not get caught up in the daily grind and expectations of society from time to time.

Caldwell was able to convey this gentle reminder throughout the story without the use of symbology and me...more
Alarra
Eh. Fairly standard chick lit, where the female protagonist undergoes some painful emotional life change (in this case, her boyfriend dumps her on her 30th birthday, just after she's been fired) but finds that ultimately it's the best thing that could've happened to her because it enables her to find her true life goal and partner. There's a small twist, but I was disappointed with that in the end, because they could've used the twist and explored so much more, but it stuck to very safe, familia...more
Karen
This was the second Laura Caldwell book I have read, the first being The Rome Affair. I liked them both. This one in particular was a very quick read--not very deep, but fast-moving. I live in the Chicago area, so enjoyed all of the city references and this was also true in The Rome Affair as well. Not extremely memorable, but a nice break. The story moved along quickly, I liked the main character and was looking forward to how Caldwell would bring everything to light.
Meaghan
great story - chick lit without a romance. very fresh.
Suzanne
Aug 18, 2007 Suzanne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Eileen
A Clean Slate is about a woman who loses her memory of the last five months of her life, and the reader is taken through her journey trying to figure out what happened to cause the loss in her life. It is easy to feel a connection to the main character and feel for what she is going through. It was a quick read for me because I really enjoyed it.
Sandy
Ok, I couldn't put this book down. I was fascinated by the whole theory of not remembering what had happened. I loved the main character though, could really relate to her. The only thing was I kept feeling like I was getting headaches as I was reading (but that is just my hypochondria)
Courtney
I loved this book. It was great characters, relationships and story. I think I liked it so much because I could identify with the character. It was pretty much the last year of my life to a T, without one part - which I won't list because it would spoil. Enjoy!
Melissa
I liked the plot of this book more than the average chick lit. While it did have some of the trappings of normal chick lit (breakup, make over, trendy apartments), it managed to go a bit deeper at the same time. An easy read and an enjoyable read.
Talea
This book was alright. I liked the premise and liked the writing, but the plot was clearly fiction....one of those things where 'oh look! I've just been offered a perfect job! How lovely!'
Not bad at all though, nice easy chick-lit.
Lori
LOVED this book! I really love Laura Caldwell and her writing. This book really inspired me to take a look at my own life and figure out what i WANT to do instead of what i NEED to do all the time! Maybe someday soon I'll figure it out!
Sara
Loved it. Easy chick lit read!
Melanie
This book was a lot of fun to read - the memory loss, which could've been so soap opera, was handled in a refreshing and interesting way; the characters were realistic; the story well done. I really enjoyed it.
Ali
This is a fast, fun read. I've read this sort of plot line before once or twice, but this is a new take on it with none of the predictable elements. The style reminds me of Emily Giffin somewhat.
Amy
I really liked this book and read it several years ago but it really seems surreal like what would happen if you couldnt remember pieces of your life tomorrow? Its hard to imagine.
Sharla Rivera
Chick lit at its finest. I finished this title in 2 days. I was expecting a creative ending but didn't get one. Not sure I would read this author again.
Christina
I read this book a long time ago but still remember liking it. It is a story about a girl that loses her memory and I remember breezing right through it.
Sharal Hunter
Not as good as her other book, BURNING THE MAP, but I thought it was pretty good. Not sure what I would do if I couldn't remember the last 5 months
Laura June
A fun read with more depth than most chick lit I've read. It gets you to think about what you would do differently with your life, given the chance.
bookczuk
Quick read, okay book-- good premise, though the neurological nurse in me kept thinking maybe this gal needs a brain MRI or Brain CT....
Tracy
This was a super fast read, and entertaining enough for me to choose to read it instead of giving into my current Sudoku addiction!
Dawn
This book is a great example of a young woman who is given the chance to start over her life with a "clean slate".
L-baus
Chicklit written by my former legal writing instructor. She does a great job making this story premise believable.
Lindsey Fees
Just finished. A Clean Slate is a cute, but unlikely story. A good combination of casual fluff and serious.
Kristine
ehh...I wanted to like it. I really liked the characters, but the story was just ok. A bit disappointing.
Elizabeth
This is a quick beach or airport read. The story line is ok, but the end is pretty predictable.
Donna
After reading this book, I realized that it's never too late to change the direction of your life.
Kim
Pretty good book, overall. Not my favorite, but it was a very quick, easy, good read.
  • Bombshell
  • True Lies of a Drama Queen
  • Crossing the Line
  • The Breakup Club (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Loose Screws
  • The Funeral Planner
  • Up & Out (Red Dress Ink)
  • A Minor Indiscretion
  • Mike, Mike & Me
  • Losing It
  • Tart
  • The Jinx (Rachel Benjamin, #2)
  • The Matzo Ball Heiress
  • Monkey Business
  • Starting from Square Two
  • Speechless
  • It's About Your Husband
  • The Botox Diaries
Laura Caldwell is a Chicago-based lawyer turned novelist. Her first book, Burning the Map, was selected by Barnes & Noble.com as one of The Best of 2002. Following that, A Clean Slate received a starred review from Booklist. The release of The Year of Living Famously and The Night I Got Lucky prompted Booklist to declare, “Caldwell is one of the most talented and inventive...writers around.”

La...more
More about Laura Caldwell...
The Year of Living Famously Burning The Map Red Hot Lies (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #1) The Night I Got Lucky Red Blooded Murder (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #2)