Start by marking “The Prism of Ashlai (The Gailean Quartet #1)” as Want to Read:
The Prism of Ashlai (The Gailean Quartet #1)

The Prism of Ashlai (The Gailean Trio #1)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Ashlai, a Fyre who can harness powers of flame from the sun, has always felt like an outsider amongst the Forest-footer elves who raised her and her brother, Merritt. The only clue to their past is a strangely unbreakable crystal Shard left to them by their mother.

When Ashlai discovers a Fyre princess speaking to her from within their mother's Shard, she is soon launched i
Published December 2012 by CreateSpace (first published March 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Prism of Ashlai, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prism of Ashlai

Shiver by Maggie StiefvaterThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakWings by Aprilynne PikeThe Maze Runner by James DashnerStolen by Lucy Christopher
Great Lesser-known Books!
252nd out of 490 books — 481 voters
Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareThe Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan
Best Book of All Time!
221st out of 242 books — 94 voters

More lists with this book...

Dianne

With “The Prism of Ashlai”, Christine E. Schulze has penned a beautiful tale of a young orphaned girl destined to lead the fight against evil in her world. In spite of the recent devastation in her life, Ashlai is tasked with finding and recovering seven shards of a prism, she has one piece, left for her by the mother she has never known. She must find the other six, each held by someone with their own unique strengths, but Ashlai, who knows little of who she is or where she came from, is to be
Andrew
I recieved this from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I liked all the characters but I especially loved Aryl. I think I'd get along just fine with him. This story reminded a bit of Eragon crossed with Avatar: The Last Airbender, which I liked (since I love both of those). The storyline was quite unique and different to many of the books I've read this year. I'd have to say that if this was ever made into a movie I would definetly see it.

I enjoyed this book from start to finish. I'd re
Erika
I got this yesterday, around 4 o'clock, in the mail. Not only did the story within the book itself captivate me so much so that I started reading it almost immediately and finished it at 10 this morning, but Christine's personal message also meant a lot. So, definitely a book I would recommend to my friends, not that they'll be borrowing my copy, and I cannot wait to get my hands on the rest of the series. Truly beautiful.
Linda
Ashali and her brother Merritt had been left with Bromwell a friend in Vian and knew that he would protect her little children. She left only a crystal shard as proof that they were of the Frye and not Forest Footers. They grew up up and her brother adjusted but she longed to know more about her people, fifteen summers later her older brother was to sail to Loz to start his apprenticeship and as she and Bromwell watched his ship sail away, she broke down, raced to the forest and hoped the tears ...more
Colleen Lynch
I'm reading this now and I'm finding LITERALLY NO TIME TO READ what with my college classes and load of work, but it's very frustrating to me because this book has me pretty wrapped up in the world it's set in and I keep wanting to go back! I enjoy the characters - the dynamics between all of them are fun to read and make me think of my own friends to be honest, at least how we used to be in middle school. The story, while a bit predictable, is rich in setting and description, and it makes me fe ...more
Kay
This book was provided to me by the author in digital form (since I entered to win but didn't) in exchange for an honest review. I do not know the author. All thoughts are my own.

This YA book is very well imagined, developed and written. The author has a very vivid imagination and the ability to put forth beautifully, descriptive words pulling in the reader.

It's a tale of a young girl, Ashlai of Fyre who, in the beginning, meets a tree sprite named Aryl. He saves her life and then she tells hi
Rochelle
I would like to start off by saying thank you to Christine E. Schulze for giving me a free copy of this in exchange for an honest review.

It is the story of a girl named Ashlai, who must recover the seven shards of a prism in order to save the kingdom and defeat the evil Ragnar. There are six others who join her, all of whom have an A on their hand to show they are allies. Among these is the tree spirit Aryl, who I liked the best, he was cheeky and quick witted and made me smile.

Ashlai is lost, n
Cathleen
I wish to extend my thanks to the author, Christine E. Schulze, for providing me with a free copy to read and review. I have been honored to read several of Christine's stories to date and I can honestly say that this story is my favorite.

Though I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story, I was left with feelings of wanting more. I strongly feel that the author needs to put more adventure into the story as the pace is too fast. The descriptions of the different races and the land they inhabit is w
Lacey
A nice story. Ashlai is a young girl who is unsure of who she is and what her goal in life is. Her friends and brother are moving away and starting their own lives, leaving her behind with her foster father. Suddenly she becomes the leader of a group out to save the kingdom from an evil ruler.

Like I said a nice story. The descriptions are excellent, I can very easily visualize what is happening and the world it is happening in. The conflicts vary in their degree of believablility. (view spoiler)
Lindsay Paige
Interest: Synopsis
Title Thoughts: It fits.
Cover Thoughts: I like it.
WARNINGS: None.

This book is full of adventure to different places with a group that becomes a family. This book is perfect for providing an escape from our world and into another one where a girl is sent on a mission.

I really enjoyed Schulze's writing and it flowed smoothly. My favorite character would have to Aryl. He is just a likeable person and has a personality that has him instantly likeable. Between the characters and
Samantha
Feb 18, 2013 Samantha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of YA fantasy
Recommended to Samantha by: The author
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Samantha
The Prism of Ashlai is the story of a young girl (Ashlai) on a quest to find seven broken shards of the Prism of Ashlai and put them together to save a kingdom, while trying to find herself along the way.
To be honest, I was not a big fan of this book. I did not think it was a bad read, and i think the storyline has a lot of potential, but certain aspects of it just didn't go over well in my opinion. I admire the journey Ashlai takes, but during the first half of the book I almost forgot she was
Melissa
Disclaimer: I was provided with a free copy of this book by the author in exchange for a review.

The Prism of Ashlai follows the adventures of a young girl, the eponymous Ashlai, as she seeks to reunite seven prism shards in order to defeat the evil Ragnar. She is joined by six others, each of whom have found a shard, and are identified as her allies by a glowing "A" on their hands.

Schulze has built a strong world between the pages, but the pace is so quick, the reader scarcely has time to apprec
The Raven That Reads
Although this was your typical Good vs Evil story, it was still incredibly enjoyable. The characters were memorable, the fight scenes well written, and dialogue interesting, although sometimes choppy.

The story itself was a lot of fun, although the writing sounded like it was meant for maybe a middle school reading level. I no way is this a bad thing. Personally I am willing to read at any reading level so long as it is written well and the story is enjoyable. Even though at times the writing se
(This review may contain spoilers).

I was really excited to get a message asking if I'd like to read this book, since I really like this author's work. Once again, I found myself unable to pull myself away from reading this book, even though I've just finished three night shifts and am more than a bit tired by now.

I think this book might be my favourite one so far. I loved the characters (with a couple of exceptions) and there was a scene right towards the end that actually brought tears to my ey
Mark
Eden
Ashlei's faith in Amiel isn't as strong as it should be and she's not sure why she was appointed to be the 'Ashlei', the leader of this quest for the glass shards.
But along the way, Ashlei meets many great people who she comes to call her friends. Aryl, Gail and the rest of the Six are there when Ashlei needs them and they give her support even when she is unsure of herself.
The quest is long and tiring, but with her friends, Ashlei knows that they can defeat Rachendorf.

This book was great. I'm
Lindsay
*I received a free ebook copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.*

First of all, thank you, Ms. Schulze for giving me the opportunity to read and review your book. I have to apologize for taking so long to read it. School sort of took over.

Now, onward to the review! This is one of the most charming stories I've read in quite some time. The characters were so magical (literally and figuratively) and the plot was action packed. I highly recommend this to anybody of any a
Tony
Feb 05, 2013 Tony rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with a sense of adventure
I thought this was a fast paced, constantly moving book. Ashlai is given a quest, with some help along the way, to defeat the ultimate evil of her world. While on her quest she learns about the family she couldn't remember and the "family" she didn't know she had. Inspirational and touching, I would highly recommend to anyone who enjoys following a group on an adventure. I hope to see more of Ashlai and her traveling companions in the future.
Lauren
I received this book from the author in exchange for a review.

This book was a fantastic read. It was very creative and imaginative. The characters, places, and all aspects of this novel were unlike any books I have read so far. It kept me wanting to know what would happen next and was a pretty thrilling read. The ending seemed a pretty final conclusion so I can't wait to see what will happen next in the series.
Melissa Levine
I only made it through this book about halfway. It has a good story line but for whatever reason I just could not get into it at all. Usually when I'm reading a book it's easy for me to visualize the characters and everything I'm reading, in my head. Maybe given some time I'll try rereading it again and will change my review around.
Christina
This book takes readers to a new world. A place where magic lives in music and nature, and where you don't have to think you're anything remarkable to be a hero. With a heroine who wants to see the good in everybody, and who believes in the hope and happiness of budding romances, this story is a unique one.
Alegna
This is such an amazing book. It has so much adventure, mystery and majestic surroundings that will have you not wanting to leave that world. I truly enjoyed this book very much. Christine E. Schulze never fails to astound me with her choice of words and detailing descriptions of such wonderous worlds.
Steven Burke
This was a story about faith in a higher power. A story that was full of adventure, self discovery, and choices. This was a very entertaining story that almost any age would thoroughly enjoy.
Louisa
a really enjoy able fantasy book. engagable characters and lots of twist and turns during the andventure to keep the reader interested.
I will defefintely be reading more books by this author
Brad Sells
A wonderful, original, unique & beautiful story with a gorgeous writing style with a brilliant mind of Christine E. Schuzle to craft this epic novel. Mind blowing.
Brenda Demko
Brenda Demko marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Sweetpea
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Anamaria021
Anamaria021 marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Christine E. Schu...: The Gailean Quartet 2 12 Feb 02, 2013 01:44PM
  • The Mumbo Jumbo Circus (Mumbo Jumbo Circus, #1)
  • Jazz in Love
  • Come Back to Texas (Twelve Beats in a Bar, #1)
  • Of Dreams and Shadow (Forget Me Not #1)
  • Commencement (Hellsbane, #0.5)
  • Henrietta the Dragon Slayer (The Five Kingdoms, #1)
  • Taking What's His (Shillings Agency #4)
  • Spell Fire (Teen Wytche Saga #3)
  • The Australian
  • Priscilla the Great (Priscilla the Great #1)
  • Need (Want, #2)
  • Bitter Pill
  • Outsystem
  • Red Madrassa (Algardis, #1)
  • Shudder (Stitch Trilogy, #2)
  • The Queen Bee of Bridgeton (Dancing Dream, #1)
  • The Identity Thief
  • Sapphire (Facets of Passion #1)
3242087
Christine E. Schulze has been creating books since she was too young to even write them in words. Her collection of YA and MG fantasy and Christian Fantasy books, The Amielian Legacy, is comprised of series and stand-alone books which can all be read separately but which weave together to create an amazing fantasy.

One of her main aspirations for The Amielian Legacy is to be able to create grand f
More about Christine E. Schulze...

The Gailean Trio (3 books)
  • The Pool of Lorelei (The Gailean Quartet #2)
  • Elantra: Song of Tears, Lady of the Dawn (The Gailean Quartet #3)
Bloodmaiden Silent Hero: A Tribute to the Legend of Zelda Golden Healer, Dark Enchantress (The Stregoni Sequence #1) Lily in the Snow The Hero Chronicles: A Complete Collection

“She was neither white nor black, Fyre nor Aquanite; she was a dame of the White King, and it was up to her, and her alone, to choose what path her life would take.” 2 likes