Start by marking “Poems - Edna St Vincent Millay (Everyman Library) ” as Want to Read:
Poems - Edna St Vincent Millay (Everyman Library)

Poems - Edna St Vincent Millay (Everyman Library)

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  313 ratings  ·  17 reviews
One of America’s most beloved poets, Edna St. Vincent Millay burst onto the literary scene at a very young age and won the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry in 1923. Her passionate lyrics and superbly crafted sonnets have thrilled generations of readers long after the notoriously bohemian lifestyle she led in Greenwich Village in the 1920s ceased to shock them. Millay’s refreshing...more
Published 2010 by Everyman's Library (first published January 1st 1923)

To ask other readers questions about Poems - Edna St Vincent Millay (Everyman Library), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems - Edna St Vincent Millay (Everyman Library)

Leola
I couldn't connect with these poems. Millay seemed to write primarily about death, the physical kind and the emotional kind, and if I had been grieving when I read them, they might have hit closer to the mark. But I wasn't, and so it all felt a little heavy and dramatic. So much seems to depend on the mood.

That said, her work improved towards the end, and she managed to capture some lovely moments. My favourite poem was Exiled -- if you love the sea then you will probably love it too. I did have...more
Kelly
I Dreamed I Moved Among The Elysian Fields

I dreamed I moved among the Elysian fields,
In converse with sweet women long since dead;
And out of blossoms which that meadow yields
I wove a garland for your living head.
Danai, that was the vessel for a day
Of golden Jove, I saw, and at her side,
Whom Jove the Bull desired and bore away,
Europa stood, and the Swan's featherless bride.
All these were mortal women, yet all these
Above the ground had had a god for guest;
Freely I walked beside them and at ease,
Ad
Lyndsay Wheble
Amongst my favourite poetry ever.
jordan
The Everyman’s Library Pocket Poets collection has a special place in my heart, and this collection //Edna St. Vincent Millay Poems// demonstrates all the reasons why. As the imprints name implies these are small sturdy volumes, uncluttered with essays, introductions, or annotations, instead offering readers the undiluted nectar of the poets own word. Thus one is spared lengthy biographical details of Millay (rich and ribald though it may be), and may focus on her work. Also included with the po...more
Andy Chavez
Millay can be a little melodramatic at times but when she gets it right, she gets it right . Her sonnets are where she really excels and selections like "I know I am but summer to your heart" and "I think I should have loved you presently" really hit home.
Ann Keller
May 21, 2010 Ann Keller rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poetry lovers everywhere
Shelves: poetry
The poems of Edna St. Vincent Millay are as relevant today as they were in the past. This is a nice little collection of her work, ranging from sad verses attempting to capture the nightmare of a friend’s death to the wonders of nature. Her descriptions are heartfelt and sincere, allowing the reader to pause and ponder for a moment the wonder of the world in which she lived. Even now, her work lingers on in my memory, at times leaving me giddy with sudden happiness, melancholy and downtrodden or...more
James Violand
Jul 02, 2014 James Violand rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone.
Shelves: own
One of my favorite poets. So different in her observations from the norm.
Kristal Mcclure
She wrote brilliantly. I can feel her words.
Frankie Brown
Vincent is perfect.

“The pathos of your love, that, like a flower,
fearful of death yet amorous of sleep,
droops for a moment and beholds, dismayed,
the wind whereon its petals shall be laid.”
Edel
I was given this as a gift , and what a wonderful gift it was. This is a great collection of poems/sonnets containing popular poems such as Afternoon on a hill and City Trees. A wonderful book and a must read for any fans of this author/poet.
Jonathan
Fantastic poems, some might find a bit gloomy, but I think they are quite wonderful. Also a brilliant one-act play at the end which I would love to see.
nicki
Millay definitely has a lot of sass compared to other poets I have read. I like her spunk my favorite though remains first and second fig. They are short but straight to the heart of very complex matters.
Jinny
Will forever be in love with this fantastic person, as she has given me the love for poetry, and the absolute need to exist in a beautiful world. She was, so many years ago, a rite of passage in my life.
Amanda
Same as the last. Poetry was awesome, but not as awesome as hoping.
Gretchen
Dirge Without Music.
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Lysann
Lysann marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Angelica Aleman
Angelica Aleman marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Marissa Buccilli
Marissa Buccilli marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Yana
Yana marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Marlen
Marlen marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
  • Selected Poems
  • Leonard Cohen: Poems and Songs
  • Auden: Poems
  • Helen in Egypt
  • Selected Poems, 1947-1995
  • Poe: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • Selected Poems
  • Tennyson: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • The Collected Poems
  • The Norton Anthology of Modern and Contemporary Poetry
  • The Poetry and Short Stories of Dorothy Parker (Modern Library)
  • Balloon Pop Outlaw Black
  • What Lips My Lips Have Kissed: The Loves and Love Poems of Edna St. Vincent Millay
  • Poems and Other Writings (Library of America #118)
  • Aurora Leigh
  • Keats: Poems
  • The Dreamers
  • The Poems of Robert Browning
Pulitzer Prize-winning poet (the first woman to receive the Pulitzer for poetry).

This famous portrait of Vincent (as she was called by friends) was taken by Carl Van Vechten in 1933.
More about Edna St. Vincent Millay...
Collected Poems The Selected Poetry Collected Sonnets Renascence and Other Poems Collected Lyrics

“Parrots, tortoises and redwoods live a longer life than men do; Men a longer life than dogs do; Dogs a longer life than love does.” 4 likes