Start by marking “Character Disturbance: the phenomenon of our age” as Want to Read:
Character Disturbance: the phenomenon of our age

Character Disturbance: the phenomenon of our age

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Modern permissiveness and the new culture of entitlement allows disturbed people to reach adulthood without proper socialization. In a book meant both for the general public and for professionals, bestselling author and psychologist George Simon explains in plain English:

•How most disturbed characters think.
•The habitual behaviors the disturbed use to avoid responsibility
Published June 1st 2011 by Parkhurst Brothers Publishers Inc (first published August 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Character Disturbance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Character Disturbance

Kate Woods Walker
Yes, author George K. Simon seems a bit stuffy. Certainly he adheres to old-school ideas of what constitutes a family. And yes, he tut-tuts a bit about the dangers of hedonism.

While I might not agree with his prescriptions, I can't help but applaud his diagnosis. Simon, in Character Disturbance: The Phenomenon of Our Age, posits that our current frame of reference in psychological matters is outdated. Our "neurosis" frame was a perfect fit for the Victorians, but today, Simon argues, the society
Amy Lynn
This is an excellent book for the lay person who wants to understand the truth behind character disturbance in lieu of the popularized mythology promoted by today's self-proclaimed armchair psychologists. It is never my recommendation that the formally uneducated (meaning "lack of rigorous college level study leading to a degree")rely on the DSM-IV for knowledge of disorders. Why? Because it is a training tool and only ONE training tool for those educated in the field. The DSM-IV or any of its p ...more
Eleanor Cowan
This important primer explains that in our society, we are trained to be kind, compassionate and understanding - and thus we are culturally primed to make room for the character dis-ordered who very much appreciate the favor. It certainly makes their thievery less complicated.

Easy to read, this book will help you to identify users without blaming yourself for being 'unkind' (before you are robbed blind by those who have an aversion to going to work.)

Eleanor Cowan, author of : A History of a Pedo
John Rapp
One of the most interesting, enlightening, and unexpectedly moving books I've ever read.
Caroline Argo
A very enlightening book. Useful if you've been on the receiving end of a disturbed character - helping you to understand exactly what you're dealing with in a no nonsense way.
Faith
I didn't finish this book, but I'm putting it to rest. My noble study of character disturbance has become too much rumination. That being said, I think "Wolf In Sheep's Clothing" is the better book. And as others have mentioned, the grumpy old man approach was memorable and unfortunate.
Angie Lisle
I can't speak about the self-help aspect of this book; I read it to help build character development for creative fiction. I prefer to rely on the DSM-IV as a source for character profiling.
David Cox
I just finished this and it was excellent. I was sad it was over!
Margaret M.
Margaret M. marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Tammy Lowdon
Tammy Lowdon marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Terri Weeks
Terri Weeks is currently reading it
Oct 26, 2014
Tina Couger grimes
Tina Couger grimes marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
The Miserablist
The Miserablist marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Cristie Li
Cristie Li marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Molly Gauthier
Molly Gauthier marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Dee Richardson
Dee Richardson marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Julia Dempster
Julia Dempster marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
colrey
colrey marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
In Sheep's Clothing: Understanding and Dealing with Manipulative People The Judas Syndrome: Why Good People Do Awful Things Kuzu Postunda Kurt