Start by marking “Every Day Is a Good Day: Reflections by Contemporary Indigenous Women” as Want to Read:
Every Day Is a Good Day: Reflections by Contemporary Indigenous Women

Every Day Is a Good Day: Reflections by Contemporary Indigenous Women

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Challenging and passionate are the voices in this gathering of proud indigenous women. Coming together as one, 19 strong and successful women provide a rare glimpse into their lives with the hope that their voices will be heard and their message understood: bear witness to the unforgivable acts that their people have survived and take a step forward in mending old wrongs a ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published August 15th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Every Day Is a Good Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Day Is a Good Day

Equal parts enlightenment, sorrow, hope, and frustration. A wonderful discussion between various leaders of a few of the tribes native to North America (and Hawaii) who happen to be women.
ONTD Feminism
LJ user pachakuti:

The late Wilma Mankiller (rest her soul) gathered thoughts and reflections from 19 Native women, on things like the meaning of spirituality, the importance of sovereignty, and what it means to be an indigenous woman today. This read is important because feminism and women-centered writing in the public eye tends to be so overwhelmingly white-washed. Also, Ms. Mankiller chose her writers very well indeed and this is a book I reflected on and re-read parts of for days after I fir
It was so hard to put this book down. For those of you who wish to learn about the beliefs, thoughts and feelings of Indigenous women, here is the book for you.
Bonnye Reed
Apr 17, 2015 Bonnye Reed rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All men and women
Shelves: keepers
Every Day is a Good Day is an extraordinary book by extraordinary women. Compiled and edited by Wilma Mankiller, this book is in an interesting format - Wilma asks a question, then gives you the answers provided by each participant. I found it very easy to follow, and very interesting.

I had read this book in the past and was pleased to find it again. It is one I will need to read yet again to get through this life.
I would probably give this about a 3.5 if Goodreads would allow half stars. I very much appreciated the perspective of these indigenous women, but sometimes I felt the thoughts they shared were redundant from chapter to chapter. It seemed like I flew through reading the first half but started to get tired of reading it about mid-way. It is still a good book to read to see these different viewpoints.
It was very interesting to read the thoughts of indigenous that are shared among the various tribes. It truly was an educational book, and it made me sad that, as invaders, we have so ignored their values. We could learn so much if only we (and our politicians) would listen.
Some parts were moving. Some parts were inspirational. Certainly opened my eyes and my heart to history and indigenous cultures. However, sprinkled throughout were some negative lines that were telling me what I as a white woman thought and felt.
I really enjoyed this book. Wilma Mankiller was one of twenty women from various tribes and backgrounds that reflected on specific topics such as ceremonies. I highly recommend this book.
I appreciate what this book does, and many of the stories are quite interesting, but the book style doesn't appeal much to me.
A great compilation of wisdom by 19 indigenous leading women.
Great message and powerful stories, but rather repetitive.
Was not what I expected but worth the effort
Samantha marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Jessica marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Patty marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Leo marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Danielle marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Sutapa Bhattacharya
Sutapa Bhattacharya marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Kathy Khajeh-noori
Kathy Khajeh-noori marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Narmadha marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Edward marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Heidi marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Antelope marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Jack marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Allie Van
Allie Van is currently reading it
Nov 21, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
  • God Is Red: A Native View of Religion
  • Lakota Woman
  • Conquest: Sexual Violence and American Indian Genocide
  • The Unquiet Grave: The FBI and the Struggle for the Soul of Indian Country
  • Indians in Unexpected Places (CultureAmerica)
  • Stolen Life: Journey Of A Cree Woman
  • Native American Testimony: A Chronicle of Indian-White Relations from Prophecy to the Present

“Though many non-Native Americans have learned very little about us, over time we have had to learn everything about them. We watch their films, read their literature, worship in their churches, and attend their schools. Every third-grade student in the United States is presented with the concept of Europeans discovering America as a "New World" with fertile soil, abundant gifts of nature, and glorious mountains and rivers. Only the most enlightened teachers will explain that this world certainly wasn't new to the millions of indigenous people who already lived here when Columbus arrived.” 28 likes