Start by marking “Every Day Is a Good Day: Reflections by Contemporary Indigenous Women” as Want to Read:
Every Day Is a Good Day: Reflections by Contemporary Indigenous Women

Every Day Is a Good Day: Reflections by Contemporary Indigenous Women

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  143 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Challenging and passionate are the voices in this gathering of proud indigenous women. Coming together as one, 19 strong and successful women provide a rare glimpse into their lives with the hope that their voices will be heard and their message understood: bear witness to the unforgivable acts that their people have survived and take a step forward in mending old wrongs a ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published August 15th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Every Day Is a Good Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Day Is a Good Day

Ana Maria Rînceanu
Linda Aranaydo, Muscogee Creek (physician)
Mary and Carrie Dann, Western Shoshone (traditionalists)
Angela Gonzales, Hopi (professor)
Joy Harjo, Muscogee Creek/Cherokee (poet/musician)
LaDonna Harris, Comanche (warrior)
Sarah James, Nee’Tsaii Gwich’in (human rights activist)
Debra LaFountaine, Ojibway (environmentalist)
Rosalie Little Thunder, Lakota (Lakota linguist/artist)
Lurline Wailana McGregor, Native Hawaiian (television producer)
Beatrice Medicine, Lakota (anthropologist)
Ella Mulford, N
Sara
Jun 17, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Equal parts enlightenment, sorrow, hope, and frustration. A wonderful discussion between various leaders of a few of the tribes native to North America (and Hawaii) who happen to be women.
Rowan
Oct 29, 2008 Rowan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was so hard to put this book down. For those of you who wish to learn about the beliefs, thoughts and feelings of Indigenous women, here is the book for you.
Ryan Mishap
Essential reading even if it is over a decade old. Mankiller calls this collection of thoughts from native women a "gathering" and it is a unique assemblage of oral history, personal sharing, and insightful commentary. Recommended.
ONTD Feminism
Apr 21, 2010 ONTD Feminism rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommendations
LJ user pachakuti:

The late Wilma Mankiller (rest her soul) gathered thoughts and reflections from 19 Native women, on things like the meaning of spirituality, the importance of sovereignty, and what it means to be an indigenous woman today. This read is important because feminism and women-centered writing in the public eye tends to be so overwhelmingly white-washed. Also, Ms. Mankiller chose her writers very well indeed and this is a book I reflected on and re-read parts of for days after I fir
Monica Boyd
Jun 10, 2016 Monica Boyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book through inter library loan twice. It's the kind of book that is hard to pick up, because it doesn't tell one story with a through line. There are a dozen or more indigenous women from a large variety of tribes, including a native Hawaiian. Wilma Mankiller tells some of her story at the beginning of each chapter and then the other voices come in. Some of their stories and admonishments overlap. Many of these are not for a white western woman. But I thought it as important to ...more
Bonnye Reed
Apr 17, 2015 Bonnye Reed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All men and women
Shelves: keepers
Every Day is a Good Day is an extraordinary book by extraordinary women. Compiled and edited by Wilma Mankiller, this book is in an interesting format - Wilma asks a question, then gives you the answers provided by each participant. I found it very easy to follow, and very interesting.

I had read this book in the past and was pleased to find it again. It is one I will need to read yet again to get through this life.
Doris Raines
Apr 14, 2016 Doris Raines rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doris-shelf
This. Is. A. Nice. Book. All. Voices. Should. Be. Herd. Doris.
Kim
I would probably give this about a 3.5 if Goodreads would allow half stars. I very much appreciated the perspective of these indigenous women, but sometimes I felt the thoughts they shared were redundant from chapter to chapter. It seemed like I flew through reading the first half but started to get tired of reading it about mid-way. It is still a good book to read to see these different viewpoints.
Carol
Jan 13, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was very interesting to read the thoughts of indigenous that are shared among the various tribes. It truly was an educational book, and it made me sad that, as invaders, we have so ignored their values. We could learn so much if only we (and our politicians) would listen.
Emily
Jun 19, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book came into my life right when I needed it. These women's words helped to re-center myself. They helped to remind me what is important in my life and what I want to be focused on. Their strength gives me courage and for that I am very grateful.
Kim
Oct 03, 2015 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some parts were moving. Some parts were inspirational. Certainly opened my eyes and my heart to history and indigenous cultures. However, sprinkled throughout were some negative lines that were telling me what I as a white woman thought and felt.
Kay
Nov 05, 2013 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Wilma Mankiller was one of twenty women from various tribes and backgrounds that reflected on specific topics such as ceremonies. I highly recommend this book.
Elizabeth
Apr 16, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uw-milwaukee
I appreciate what this book does, and many of the stories are quite interesting, but the book style doesn't appeal much to me.
Mariana
Jul 27, 2010 Mariana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great compilation of wisdom by 19 indigenous leading women.
Deb
Aug 19, 2009 Deb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great message and powerful stories, but rather repetitive.
Vickie
Mar 29, 2012 Vickie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was not what I expected but worth the effort
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Inês Bc
Inês Bc marked it as to-read
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Kaitlin Throgmorton
Kaitlin Throgmorton marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Bri
Bri marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Mimi
Mimi marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
MaryEllen
MaryEllen marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Maire
Maire marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Slsh
Slsh marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Rainlily
Rainlily marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
  • The Sacred Hoop: Recovering the Feminine in American Indian Traditions
  • The Ways of My Grandmothers
  • Genocide of the Mind: New Native American Writing
  • Daughters of the Earth
  • Indians in Unexpected Places (CultureAmerica)
  • God Is Red: A Native View of Religion
  • Prison Writings: My Life Is My Sun Dance
  • Indian Givers: How the Indians of the Americas Transformed the World
  • Lakota Woman
  • Stolen Life: Journey Of A Cree Woman
  • Native American Testimony: A Chronicle of Indian-White Relations from Prophecy to the Present
  • Recovering the Sacred: The Power of Naming and Claiming

“Though many non-Native Americans have learned very little about us, over time we have had to learn everything about them. We watch their films, read their literature, worship in their churches, and attend their schools. Every third-grade student in the United States is presented with the concept of Europeans discovering America as a "New World" with fertile soil, abundant gifts of nature, and glorious mountains and rivers. Only the most enlightened teachers will explain that this world certainly wasn't new to the millions of indigenous people who already lived here when Columbus arrived.” 32 likes
“It is the women who are responsible for bringing along the next generation to carry the culture forward.” 1 likes