Start by marking “Lapham Rising” as Want to Read:
Lapham Rising

Lapham Rising

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  261 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Harry March's troubles begin when Lapham, a self-aggrandizing, ostentatious multimillionaire, commences construction of a 36,000-square-foot house (complete with a cutting-edge air-conditioner that cools his entire eight-acre property) directly across the creek from Harry's island home in Quogue, in the Hamptons. Harry, an island himself, is something of a wreck and half-n ...more
Published February 7th 2006 by Ecco (first published February 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Lapham Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lapham Rising

Book Concierge
2.5**

Harry March has lived on Quogue, Long Island for his entire life. In fact, generations of Marches have inhabited the house on the small Tennessee-shaped island in the middle of the creek. In late middle-age, he’s become quite the misanthrope, however, and somewhat of a hermit. His children are grown and gone, his wife left him, and now he’s alone with his Westie, Hector and the natural surroundings he enjoys. At least until multi-millionaire Lapham begins construction of his mega mansion ju
Evan
HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION:
Picked up on a whim more or less, and glad of it. This is the first novel by Roger Rosenblatt, a guy familiar to me as an essayist on public radio. I opened and skimmed it and could see that it would be a smooth read, and I liked the premise as gleaned from the jacket. The male competitive element blended with acid comedy and local color seemed to remind me of another book I just finished, Thomas McGuane's The Sporting Club.
The title, Lapham Rising is a play on the famous
Stephen
This is a cleverly written, satirical look at the obsessive ostentation of Life in the Hamptons and IMHO, addresses the crux of what ails America. The funniest character is Hector, the talking West Highland Terrier, unapologetic capitalist and evangelical proselityzer. So it is really addressing two problems which are the crux of what ails us. Parts had me laughing out loud! Good quick read.
Pseudonymous d'Elder
Mad As a March Harry

Harry March is quite mad. He was once a brilliant, best-selling writer, but now he does little but watch Murder She Wrote reruns all day and hold two-way conversations with his dog Hector. Harry is a recluse who lives in a small house on a tiny secluded island in a river in the Hamptons, avoids other people whenever possible, and keeps his life's savings piled on the floor of a spare room, not knowing how much is there and seldom spending any of it. Harry was happy with his l
Linda
This is a very clever, funny and outrageous read. Our book club read it and laughed all through our discussion. One example: Harry is a hermit who lives on a small island in the Hamptons. He has named his island Noman. He waits for people to ask him where he lives and he replies Noman. Then he wants them to ask "Where is Noman?" and he can reply "No(man) is an island." When a young girl finally asks the right questions and Harry gives her the answers she doesn't get the joke. He is sorely disapp ...more
Susan Bazzett-griffith
I feel terrible that I am giving this book one star, as I think Rosenblatt's Making Toast is one of the best books I've read in recent years, but I could not get into this novel at ALL. I read a hundred pages and just couldn't force myself to go any further. There is nothing wrong with the writing, per se, but the entire plot is irritating, the protagonist is rather unlikable (even to his dog), and I couldn't bring myself to care what happened next enough to pick it up yet again to continue it. ...more
Barbara Melosh
Satire of rapacious wealth vs. neighborhood curmudgeon, but the tight compass didn't allow much development, and the focal character's voice became wearisome. Plus, I didn't like his dog...
Denise
Not so much.
Ab
Awesome book. VERY funny. Roger Rosenblatt was my creative writing professor at Southampton College and I can see his sarcasm and dry wit in every word. A very satirical novel about the ridiculous extravagance of the Hamptons, the people who live there year round versus the people who have their third mansion there for the summer. Just to give you an idea of the hilarity, the dog of the main character is a born-again Christian.
Jody
I'd call this novel cute, a term I'm quite sure would send Harry March, the protagonist of Lapham Rising, into a curmudgeonly (and funny) rant. Rosenblatt is ruthlessly satirical about modern culture--or what passes for it--and manages to make his arguments funny and pithy at the same time. I don't know that I'd advise anyone to run out and buy it, but its not a bad book to spend a couple of days with.
Tyler
This was loaned to me by a friend who thought I'd enjoy it, and I sort of did. Problem was I didn't much care for the main character, who is a crotchety old writer who lives on an island and despises his neighbors. His talking Westie (who's also a born-again evangelical) is a hoot, but I don't think he makes this book worth recomending. If he'd been the main character, that would have been a lot more fun.
Holly
Story of a dried up writer living in the Hamptons who attempts to sabotage his annoyingly affluent and ostentatious neighbor.

Not funny and not interesting, no compelling characters (the talking dog is the best, but even that is riddled w/ holes). Goes to show that who you know can be everything to getting published. Read early Hiaasen instead for some mind candy.
Patricia
Jun 12, 2010 Patricia added it
Recommended to Patricia by: Library blog
Shelves: didn-t-read
There's good quirky (Wonderboys) and then there is a bit too quirky. This fits into the latter category. The sculpture of the ex-wife sitting at the kitchen table; the bazillionare's mansion being built across the street with a device that air conditions the entire property; the skinny-dipping Realtor; the dog that actually speaks? It was just too much.
Meri
Mar 07, 2008 Meri rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a good sense of humor
Shelves: glad-i-read
It's rare to find such a solid, entertaining satire in the 21st century, especially for a former non-fiction writer! If I didn't respect and admire Rosenblatt so much, I'd be pissed he's crossing genres so successfully! But this book is great, especially if you're familiar with the geography or social politics of the Hamptons. GREAT book.
Megan Breaux
I really hate to give books bad reviews, but I just could not get in to this book. When I picked it up in the store, I read the first few lines and laughed, but I need dialoge at some point and this book has hardly any. And the main character is absurd. The book has good intentions, but it just wasn't for me.
Cara
Hmmm...I feel like I SHOULD have enjoyed this book but for some reason I found it a chore to even finish it. I just didn't seem to care about what was going on, and though I was looking forward to a hilarious read, I didn't laugh out loud once! Disappointed but maybe it was just me!
Joanne
May 03, 2010 Joanne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
My friend recommended this book to me and I really did get quite a kick out of it. The author uses humor to "kid on the square".....ridiculous situations to get across a serious comment on American culture. Quick read with some laugh out loud moments.
Vivian
This is chock full of sarcasm, so I appreciated every page. This is a perfect book for a book club as you will want to discuss it with someone when you're finished. One of my favorite books of last year. You will love it or hate it. It's one of those...
Gina Whitlock
A fun book if you can get beyond a crotchety old man who hates all his neighbors, talks constantly to his dog who he believes is a born-again Christian, this book's for you. I did enjoy it. Funny and sad commentary on wealth in America.
Sharon
A satiric novel about a curmudgeonly author who objects to the large houses and obnoxious people taking over the Hamptons. A quick read. The narrator has a rapid-fire delivery and a talking dog, both of which I enjoyed.
Jason McKinney
Aug 12, 2008 Jason McKinney rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Luddites
Recommended to Jason by: Myself
An anti-pretentious book that goes so far in its campaign that it ends up becoming a bit pretentious itself, this short novel about a man railing against modern society and its vapidity is still quite entertaining.
Jake Ratliff
Clever, funny. Good commentary on what wealth is in America. The narrator's eccentricity is established early and leads to many humorous moments. The ending may or may not satisfy, but I thought it worked well enough.
Paula
Very funny, so long as the jokes don't go over your head ("No man is an island"). Even funnier for those who live on Long Island and are familiar with the landscape and the locals who are parodied.
Claire
Christina
What do a sandbar, a cottage, a mansion, and a talking West Highland White Terrier have in common? You'll have to read to find out, clever and witty I laughed out loud.
Dorothy
Aug 23, 2007 Dorothy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people on islands or boats or beaches, etc
really great if you are into making fun of the fancy pants lifestyle... what more could you ask for in a summer read than an evangelical capitalist dog?
Republican4
I read this for book club. It is a quick read and pretty entertaining. No great but good.
Jenn
Fun little story about rich idiots. Tries too hard to be hysterical. But it is funny.
Adrian
Irony in its most comical sense. I fun quick read written with great diction and style.
George Tisdale
Mr. Rosenblatt is a quite a writer. Mr. Rosenblatt isn't much of a storyteller.
  • The Swing Voter of Staten Island (New York: The Five Books of Moses Bk.1)
  • The Sporting Club
  • Huge
  • Christ in Concrete (Centennial Edition)
  • Severance: Stories
  • How to Sharpen Pencils: A Practical and Theoretical Treatise on the Artisanal Craft of Pencil Sharpening for Writers, Artists, Contractors, Flange Turners, Anglesmiths, & Civil Servants
  • The Last Days of Disco, with Cocktails at Petrossian Afterward
  • Design for Living
  • The Soul Saver
  • The Loss of Leon Meed
  • The HerStories Project: Women Explore the Joy, Pain, and Power of Female Friendship
  • Diva Las Vegas (Soap Opera Mystery, #3)
  • Bring Down the Sun (Alexander the Great, #2)
  • Portrait of a Lady (Leonardo da Vinci Mystery, #2)
  • The Blue-Haired Bombshell
  • A Dickens of a Cat: And Other Stories of the Cats We Love
  • Channeling Mark Twain
  • The Knights of Derbyshire (Pride and Prejudice Continues, # 5)
Roger Rosenblatt’s essays for Time magazine and PBS have won two George Polk Awards, a Peabody, and an Emmy. He is the author of six Off-Broadway plays and 13 books, including the national bestseller Rules for Aging and Children of War, which won the Robert F. Kennedy Book Prize and was a finalist for the National Book Critics Circle Award. He has written two satirical novels, Beet and Lapham Risi ...more
More about Roger Rosenblatt...
Making Toast Kayak Morning: Reflections on Love, Grief, and Small Boats Unless It Moves the Human Heart: The Craft and Art of Writing The Boy Detective: A New York Childhood Rules for Aging: Resist Normal Impulses, Live Longer, Attain Perfection

“I'm going to kill Fairy Tale Dora and my little dog too.” 1 likes