Start by marking “Sam and the Firefly” as Want to Read:
Sam and the Firefly

Sam and the Firefly

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  3,049 ratings  ·  98 reviews
Sam the Owl and Gus the Firefly literally light up the sky in this classic Beginner Book edited by Dr. Seuss. In Sam and the Firefly, P. D. Eastman (author of Are You My Mother? and Go, Dog. Go!) introduces us to the dynamic duo of Sam and Gus, who soar through the air writing words in the night sky. But when Gus’s words end up causing confusion and chaos for the people on ...more
Published September 12th 1958 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Sam and the Firefly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sam and the Firefly

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
145th out of 1,307 books — 972 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.
Best Childhood Picture Books
42nd out of 307 books — 353 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
3.5 STARS

How cute is Sam!? I love the cover ;-) Sam is the adorable owl who longs for a friend when he awakens at night and all the other farm and woodland animals are asleep. Lonely Sam finally finds a firefly and they strike up a friendship. The best fun is that Sam knows how to write words and he flies around forming letters, with the firefly following him, and the firefly's glow makes the words glow in the night sky. How neat! Up to this point, I like the story very much. The illustrations a
Autumn Brady
When I was four years old I wanted to read this book but could not read.
That spring my mother asked, "Want to take tennis lessons?" (We had a tennis court next door)
My answer was, " No. I want to learn to read."
My mother's dream of tennis stardom died that day. Fortunately for me my mother is the unselfish kind and sent me to a beginner's summer reading program and by the end of it I read my first book on my own (this one).
I know that people do not care about this story but I wanted to carve my
Jared Burton
Eastman, P.D. Sam and the Firefly. New York: Random House Books for Young Readers, 1958.
Genre - Fiction - Animals
This book is about an owl who wakes up at night and has no one to play with. The owl then sees a bunch of glowing lights and comes to find his new friend Gus the firefly. The Owl has a great idea to spell out their names in the sky using Gus's tail. After they spell out their first few words Gus finds out how much fun it is to spell words and begins to cause mischief by telling cars
Guen
I enjoyed reading this book to my children and I also remember it from my childhood which is always fun. The book was written in 1958 as an easy reader. It is a bit advanced as an easy reader with a lot of words on each page though. The story line was perfectly in-line with my 5-year-old son's interests. He is immensely interested in tricks. He was fascinated by the idea of a day set aside for playing pranks when April 1st came around this year and declared that every day should be "trickster da ...more
Dianna
The perfect beginning reader: my son knew many of the words in this book from his "sight words" at preschool, and he could sound out some others. BUT, more importantly, it is a great story, interesting and funny, and he cared about what happens.
Muse Here
This was one of those books I adored as a child. I read it my kiddos when they were quite young, it must have been lost in the divorce. We haven't read it for a while, but it's a great read, especially for youngsters. Very cute and enjoyable.
Alicia Singleton
This book is about an owl named Sam who meets a firefly named Gus. Now Gus isn’t just a firefly; he is a firefly who has a special talent of writing words with his light. Gus gets into some trouble when he starts to trick everyone with his words and begins making chaos in the nightlife. Gus gets trapped in a jar and Sam helps him escape and helps Gus realize he is wrong for the things he is doing. Gus does something to help right his wrongs. In the end, Gus begins using his talent for good rathe ...more
Kirei
I loved this book when I was a kid!
David Sarkies
The text in this book is a little more complicated that the other book that I read but that is probably because the previous book was teaching children prepositions where as this book has a bit of a moral undertone to it. It seems that by the time children get to this level of reading it is more about teaching morality as opposed to simply teaching a child how to read.
I guess in one aspect the book is teaching us that playing dirty tricks of people is not conducive to good relationships with
Chelsea
Sam the owl is lonely being awake at night, and is looking for something to do. He runs into a firefly named Gus, and they realize they can make words in the sky with the glow of his light. Unfortunately, Gus takes things a little too far. He starts to play jokes all over town: telling plains to fly the wrong way, free movies night, and COLD hotdogs. Sam could see that his new friend is out of control and tries to stop Gus, but it’s too late. The man at the hotdog stand captures Gus and puts him ...more
Dolly
Sep 09, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with younger children
Shelves: 2012, childrens, aviation
When I saw the cover of this book, I just had to borrow it from our local library. The adorable owl and humorous firefly were enchanting. Having read Are You My Mother? and other books by P.D. Eastman over and over again with our girls, I worried that the book would be a bit too young for our girls.

The story was a bit repetitive and I am not sure how much our girls enjoyed it, but we liked the muted nighttime illustrations and thought the silly firefly was a goof. It was a bit alarming that the
Pam
I want to give this book 2.5 stars. The classic pictures are very 1958 - and I love them! But, the text just drones on and on. I believe the author was trying to use simple words that beginning readers can read, but the words have no panache when put together...it's just not compelling to read. I am reminded of the simple, but full of life, language of Mo Willems' books, and I wish this book was more like those.
Samantha Penrose
What a strange story.
I like the beginning. Sam the owl is looking for someone to play with during a lonely night. He meets Gus the firefly, and teaches Gus to write in the sky with his firefly light. The story then takes a strange turn as Gus the firefly becomes rather mischievous with his new sky-writing talent. Gus flies all over the city causing trouble, and Sam chases him around trying to talk some sense into him.
An angry victim of Gus's practical jokes captures him in a jar, and heads out
Mitchell Ary
this little firefly is an absolute deviant. he takes joy in crashing cars and planes? he sounds a lot like the evil character out of spongebob plankton who only enjoys destruction, chaos and world domination. i liked the book and i would read it again. this time with P.D. Eastman the illustrations weren't very dr. suess'ish. which i was okay with. going on my shelf!
Rocheal Hoffman
How cute is this book?! This is great for beginning readers, and frankly an elementary classroom as a read-aloud. It would be a great lead into a lesson on character development. The illustrations in this book include cute pictures as well as the words that are in the text as you read. This provides a great opportunity for the youngest readers to engage and explore text!
Science- Good for GPS: SKE1. Students will describe time patterns (such as day to night and night to day) and objects (such as
Edward Creter
This classic children's story is about an owl and the firefly who lights things up with lighted words. But when the lighted words get the firefly in trouble, Sam the owl has to find a way to redeem his friend. A good story with the typical Dr. Seuus way with a good message.
Bruce H
As my son began to master more English, reading this book became an exercise in parody... I am a firefly, my name is Gus. I like to drink and I like to cuss! Throw in small amounts of potty humor, and you get the idea.
Beth
Jan 25, 2014 Beth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: daniel
Sam the owl is lonely and delighted to meet Gus the firefly. But when Sam teaches Gus to write with his firefly light, Gus uses his new power to play tricks on people. For example, he changes the hot dog" sign into a "cold dog" sign! How will Gus learn to use words is a good way?

It was a hit when I read it to the kindergarten class.
Karen
This is an easy reader book done right. The words are accessible to new readers, and the story is worth the effort of working out the words. And the illustrations are adorably perfect.
Rosa
So this is really more of an easy reader then a picture book. The story is very much a moral tale that feels a little bit old fashioned. I love the artwork though.
Josiah
After all these years, there remains a certain special something about the literary works of P.D. Eastman, and nowhere are these intangibles more evident than in "Sam and the Firefly".
The brilliant light trails of Gus the firefly long ago indelibly burned their way into the lining of my memories, as I'm sure they have for most people to have read this book. Surely there are several fantasy elements to the story that might seem to stretch belief, but I think that this is a book that must simply
Camie
This book is 56 years old and still as cute as ever! A first reader with quite a few words per page. My grandson is learning to read ! (KG)
Jenny
This was fine for what I wanted out of it. I needed a simple story in which I would find words my pre-reader could identify.
Lauren
This is the first book I read myself as a kid. Love it.
Nura
dasar kunang-kunang jail, bikin sam pusing aja.
Eric DeFilippo
This book is one of my favorite books of all time, so much that I actually got the cover tattooed on my back and named my ferret after the firefly.
As a child I liked seeing Gus, the firefly, writing words in the sky and the mischief that it caused. As a young adult, I appreciated the message of right and wrong the story conveyed. Today I love that it can still make me smile despite having first read it over 30 years ago.
In my opinion this should be one of those must have books that every child
Robert
An early book from my memory, read as a child almost 40 years ago. The pictures are fun and a good lesson is served as well.
Emerson
Jan 24, 2013 Emerson added it
Shelves: library-books
Added to Emerson's permanent collection.

SAM and GUS. No accident that these main characters' names are simple, 3-letter words. This is really a spelling and letter book. Very cleverly disguised.
Sam--a lonely little owl--is so excited when he befriends Gus--a firefly down at the lake who can write words in the sky. But Gus becomes mischievous and begins to trick people with his signs in the sky. Sam and Gus are drawn really beautifully in this great beginning reader book. I love this series of
Nicole
Bold illustrations (my favorite shade of aquamarine!), excellent story pacing, and the plot will have you wanting to read to the end to find out what happens with the mischievous firefly and his antics. A couple of dated references (not surprising) to 'old goose' and 'old hen' behavior that would have to be explained and since it's not that common anymore...but otherwise one of the more palatable easy readers.
Cindy Winder delong
I love the way this book showed two very different critters, unlike each other or anyone else, find something in common and build a friendship. Sam teaches the firefly a new skill, but is distressed when his new friend uses his ability to trick people. Sam, as a true friend, sticks by the firefly trying to help him in his time of need and lead him back to good behavior.
  • The Digging-est Dog (Beginner Books)
  • Snow (Beginner Books)
  • Robert the Rose Horse
  • The Bears' Vacation
  • I Want to Be Somebody New! (Beginner Books(R))
  • Please Try to Remember the First of Octember!
  • Stop that Ball!
  • It's Not Easy Being a Bunny
  • Hooper Humperdink...? Not Him!
  • Busy, Busy Town
  • Harry and the Lady Next Door
  • I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words
  • Summer (Beginner Books)
  • Because a Little Bug Went Ka-choo!
Philip Dey "Phil" Eastman was an American screenwriter, children's author, and illustrator. As an author, he is known primarily as P. D. Eastman. A protégé of Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss), Eastman wrote many books for children, in his own distinct style under the Dr. Seuss brand of Random House, many of which were in the Beginner Books series.

From 1936 to 1941, Eastman worked at the story departmen
More about P.D. Eastman...
Are You My Mother? Go, Dog. Go! The Best Nest Big Dog...Little Dog The Alphabet Book (Bright & Early Board Books)