Start by marking “The Red Dragon & The West Wind: The Winning Guide to Official Chinese & American Mah-Jongg” as Want to Read:

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  4 reviews
The Red Dragon & The West Wind is the perfect introduction to this ancient game of strategy and subterfuge, covering all aspects of the two most common varieties, American and Chinese, along with an overview of other global approaches.

The book begins with the history and origin and moves on to the rules of play and ways to win and avoid essential errors as well as the
Published June 12th 2007 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published June 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Red Dragon & The West Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Dragon & The West Wind

Laura Cushing
The author seems to think he is the foremost authority on all things mahjong. Mr. Sloper's gigantic ego is apparently throughout this very dry guide to the game. Much pedantic rules dickery, misogynistic undertones, and not all that much explanation for the beginner.

I purchased this book on Kindle and was able to bookmark useful sections to have a portable reference- but had I not already known how to play, and read much better books on the subject, I would have been hopelessly confused by Mr.
Polly
Tom Sloper is the expert on all things Mah Jongg. He's done the research, he knows it all, and if you want to know about Mah Jongg you should read this book. I also appreciate that he posts a fully comprehensive website with everything you need to know about all forms of MJ. (Google his name and you'll find it.) It's an old school framed website but don't let that sway you, he knows his stuff.

I'm a happy player of NMJL style MJ, and trying to pick up Chinese rules (all those hands and no card -
Jeweleye
I recommend this book for anyone learning to play Mah-Jongg. The author has detailed information on rules, resolving conflicts, and more. A good beginner's guide, although I suggest that if you've never played before, find a group that will allow you to observe or that is patient with a beginner. I started at Third Place Books playing with the Shoreline Senior Center on Mondays (on Monday holidays or whenever I can take a Monday off). They've been playing together a long time, they play all day ...more
Marilyn
Difficult to give this a rating because I really wanted to rate it only 3* but felt that not fair. I thought it was a good book but not for me since a good part of the book was about Chinese MJ and I don't play that. The first part is about American Mah Jongg and I already knew a good deal of it. Therefore, it's a good book for someone who is more of a beginner. I did enjoy and get something out of the strategy section.
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Ruthie
Ruthie added it
Dec 31, 2014
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Lara Cohen
Lara Cohen marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Loretta Micheals
Loretta Micheals marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Christian H
Christian H marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Wei
Wei marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
John Ranson
John Ranson marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Mandy
Mandy added it
Oct 12, 2013
Patty
Patty added it
Mar 30, 2013
The Red Dragon & the West Wind The Red Dragon & the West Wind A Beginner's Guide to American Mah Jongg: How to Play the Game & Win Mah Jong, Anyone?: A Manual of Western Play Mah Jongg: The Art of the Game: A Collector's Guide to Mah Jongg Tiles and Sets