Start by marking “Clive Barker: The Dark Fantastic: The Authorized Biography” as Want to Read:
Clive Barker: The Dark Fantastic: The Authorized Biography

Clive Barker: The Dark Fantastic: The Authorized Biography

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  142 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Clive Barker: a modern myth-maker, explorer of our darkest instincts and ultimate fears, the writer who -- more than any other contemporary figure -- has shaped our nightmares through diverse media. Novelist, playwright, scriptwriter, artist and director, he is a master at twisting the mundane to make it fantastic, frightening and ultimately meaningful.

Douglas E. Winter's
Published July 23rd 2002 by Harper (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Clive Barker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clive Barker

Lucas Mangum
Great biography of my personal favorite author. Recommended to any Clive Barker fan.
This oft-delayed Barker critical analysis / biography has finally made it to UK shops just in time for Christmas 2001, with the US edition out in July 2002. With one or two reservations, we'd say it's been well worth the wait.
Winter appears to have undertaken extensive interviews with just about anyone who's anyone in Barker's past and present; time-consuming research which has enabled him to pepper the biography with asides and footnotes which enhance the overall collection. The Dark Fantastic
Jo Bennie
Dec 01, 2014 Jo Bennie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: b, w
It took me I think three goes to read this weighty book but it was very much worth it. This is not the usual lightweight biography of an author focusing on his or her life and the expression of themes from it in their work, this is academic in style and prose, a deep introspection into the life and literary and artistic work of an extremely complex individual, Clive Barker, perhaps most famously the creator of Hellraiser, the Books of Blood and Candyman. Barker's work defies categorisation, stra ...more
John J Questore
Let me preface this review with this: I LOVE Clive Barker. If he published a book of his grocery lists from the last 20 years, I would buy it.

So naturally I thought this would be an awesome book. Not really. 80% was nothing more than a rehash of his novels - which I already read! If I wanted to reread them, I would.

On top of that, the writing was so dry I found myself falling asleep as I was reading it.

This book could have easily been half the size had the author just stuck more to Clive's life
A.E.
This is pretty much THE authoritative Barker text, the first half going into his early life and his genesis into an artist and a writer, and then the second half focuses more on a critical literary analysis of his works, containing some insights into the production and adaptation processes of the films made based on Clive Barker's work. Any die hard Barker fan must have this on their bookshelf. It's a doorstopper, but it's jam-packed with the awesomeness that is this author. Very well-written, v ...more
Beth Miller
I'm still in the middle of it, and it's slow going. The author describes, at lenght, each of Barker's plays and stories. He tells us of the plot, themes, 'and then this happened's, and he quotes the stories as well. I could read the stories myself and get a better understanding. What I want with this book is the story of Barker, not the stories of Barker. I need to develop my skimming skills.....
Mark
Exhaustively complete, this is about as good a resource of Clive Barker and his work (the biography takes him from birth right up to publication) that you're likely to ever get. Taking in his early films, the Dog Company and his theatre work, his Hollywood experiences and on, this is a terrific read. Very highly recommended.
Olivera
Started reading this as research for my dissertation. Haven't actually read it all, but I love it. Clive Barker is so cool, and Douglas Winter incorporates the literary analysis with the personal really well. Don't necessarily expect a full biography, but it's a good introduction to a lot of his work.
Stephen Lord
A superb and exhaustive insight into the life, heart, mind and work of one of my favourite creators. I return to it often to read about the stories behind Barker's stories, and find fresh inspiration for my own.
Melanie
An interesting subject but the writing got bogged down in recounting every detail of every play Barker and his Dog Group every put on... over decades! So I gave up.
Martyn
this has got to be one of the worst biographies I've ever read. As much as I like Clive Barker's work, this is nothing but gush.
Sarah Hughes
Really badly written, drawn out, ploddy goes into tooo much detail over tiny things
Nora
Nora marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Tammy Lynn
Tammy Lynn marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Jennifer Torres
Jennifer Torres is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2015
Robi
Robi marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Joshua Pagliuca
Joshua Pagliuca marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Markel
Markel added it
Jul 27, 2015
Ryan Curry
Ryan Curry marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Benjamin Brown
Benjamin Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
April Stapleton
April Stapleton marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Lori Stevenson
Lori Stevenson marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Dust Bunni
Dust Bunni marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
  • Clive Barker's A - Z of Horror
  • Marcel Proust
  • Granta 115: The F Word
  • To School Through The Fields
  • The 101 Habits of Highly Successful Novelists: Insider Secrets from Top Writers
  • Cause of Death: A Writer's Guide to Death, Murder, and Forensic Medicine
  • Clive Barker : Illustrator
  • Escape: The true story of the only Westerner ever to break out of Thailand's Bangkok Hilton
  • Writer's Companion
  • Obsession
  • Caravaggio: Painter of Miracles
  • Apocalypse
Douglas E. Winter is an American writer, critic and lawyer. A life-long interest in horror has led him to develop a parallel career as horror writer and horror critic. Winter edited horror anthologies Prime Evil (1988), and Revelations (1997) as well as the interviews collection Faces of Fear (1985, revised 1990). He has also written biographies of Stephen King and Clive Barker. He is a member of ...more
More about Douglas E. Winter...
Prime Evil: New Stories by the Masters of Modern Horror Stephen King: The Art of Darkness Night Visions 5 Run Revelations