Start by marking “Dark Horse (Dark Horse, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dark Horse (Dark Horse, #1)

Dark Horse (Dark Horse #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,370 Ratings  ·  368 Reviews
Dan thinks about just driving, leaving the whole mess behind. He's got enough money. He could just arrange to get his stuff and his horse shipped to wherever he's going. Taking off is what he used to do when things got to be too much, and it worked pretty well, really.

Dan Wheeler thought he'd found lasting love and stability with his life and work partner, Justin Archer. B
Published June 11th 2010 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Dark Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Horse

More by Sloan Parker911 by Chris OwenDark Horse by Kate SherwoodOut of the Darkness by Kate SherwoodThe Strongest Shape by Tessa Cárdenas
Best Gay Polyamorous Romance
3rd out of 365 books — 639 voters
Promises by Marie SextonStrawberries for Dessert by Marie SextonFish & Chips by Abigail RouxSticks & Stones by Abigail RouxKeeping Promise Rock by Amy Lane
Best M/M Romance Published in 2010
14th out of 305 books — 517 voters

More lists with this book...

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
4 stars.****Review completed April 1, 2013

photo Bildschirmfoto2013-03-15um075814_zps7e29d49c.png

Billionaire Evan Kaminski comes to Kentucky accompanied by his sister Tatiana and his lover and part-time trainer Jeff Stevens to buy a horse for Tatiana. Due to special circumstances, however, they end up buying the whole 'stable'. Karl and Molly Archer always thought that their son, Justin, would take over the farm but this is not going to happen because Justin is in a coma, severely injured after a riding accident at the popular Rolex competition. The
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
This book is an ugly cry type of book. It is a break-you-down, destroy your emotional resolve, and leave you a sobbing mess type of book. I feel drained from this reading experience, even days later. Very well done Ms. Sherwood. You successfully destroyed me.

This was my first experience with a full-length book from this author and she was just as wonderful as everyone led me to believe. I read this book, despite the fact that I'm not a menage type of girl, (though now I have read so many I just
It's just me Shelly B
Apr 22, 2013 It's just me Shelly B rated it it was amazing
Recommended to It's just me Shelly B by: Baba ♥♥♥ Marcus, Tyler, Tate, Dan, Ty, & Hunter
I'm going to start by saying that I absolutely LOVED this book!!!!!!!!!! I don't give a lot of "5 star" ratings but this book, to me, is a 5 star book!!!!!!! Absolutely amazing!!!!

"Jeff’s eyes are intense, and his voice has lowered as well. “I’m not blind, Dan. Of course I like shiny things. And I like them even more when I find out that they’re not just pretty on the outside.”

Dark Horse is a journey through a VERY rough spot in Dan's life, he has lost or is losing, everything he has ever loved
Isabel
Jan 14, 2014 Isabel rated it really liked it
Recommended to Isabel by: Eva
New shelf added... Yes... And I loved it!

photo 241fc385-4bac-4b5e-b301-f297eb93631e_zps178f7cc0.jpg

It took some time to happen, but when it did... wow... fabulous!

This book is beautiful! I had some difficult time during the first half... I was so sad... Dan's grief and sorrow was devastating! But when he realized that life must go on, he open his mind to the opportunities that are being offered to him by Evan and Jeff! And he gives himself the chance to be happy... and to find love again...

I love the plot, the MC's, the other characters, the horses..
Christina
Mar 26, 2013 Christina rated it really liked it
I am so glad I read this little gem. Dark Horse is about Dan, a horse trainer who's struggling with love, loss, loneliness, and uncertainty. What a great character and the perfect setting for this story. The details of the horse training were just enough to set the tone of the story and draw you into Dan's world without being overwhelming. By the end, I wanted to spend a day with Dan and his horses.

The first half of this story tore me up. You can feel how deep Dan's pain goes. The push and pull
DarienMoya
^^SADDLE UP, CUS ITS A BUMPY RIDE!^^
4.5

THE COVER- Really goes with the story. Horses play a huge part of our main characters life. He is also a dark horse of a character, he just comes out of nowhere. You love him or hate him. Also it’s clear that there will be three men involved, and that alone captures your attention.

My first book by Kate Sherwood and it came on strong, very strong. I had so many emotions reading this book, mostly I was a blubbering mess; with tears streaked face. The level
Bark's Book Nonsense
Aug 19, 2015 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, heartcrushing
4 1/2 Stars

The first half or so of this book is heart-crushing. It may break your heart, even if you think you don’t have one.

Dan trains horses and he is one of the best. His life was bliss until a riding accident destroyed his world a year ago. Now his lover is in a coma and has been declared brain dead. Dan can’t let go and wants to keep Justin around just to be near him. When he is forced to let Justin go (due to circumstances out of his control), he has to reluctantly rebuild his life. Oh my
Bev
Aug 05, 2015 Bev rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Bev by: Tina
Buddy Read with my lovely Tina, and also recommended by her. 4.5 stars and

Found this a little slow to start with I have to say, and the present tense thing was definitely irritating in my opinion, but there's such a lot to get through in this book (384 pages), world building etc., that it's bound to take time for people to get into the series. Many, many reviews have been done so this will be a shortie.

I adored Puppet-Chris (real Chris wasn't bad either, and looking forward to more of him), Ta
Jaime
dark horse gif three

dressage gif 1

sidestep gif dressage

Welcome to the world of sexy men, romance, mystery, competitive dressage, menage and more.. as Kate Sherwood's first book in her Dark Horse Seriesintroduces you to three men you are sure to remember: Dan Wheeler, Jeff Stevens, and Evan Kaminski.

I thoroughly loved this book! It had horses in it - which I love. It also had three sexy, confident men, who were better together than alone and watching them figure this out was quite the wild ride! This story starts out withDan Wheeler alone in Kentuck
A Girl Has No Name
5 stars - a perfect read!

I'm happy that I finally picked up this amazing book. It has been sitting on my TBR for a long while; I've been reading menage stories regularly during quite a long time and I have to admit that the sub-genre got me a little bored. A lot of the menage stories out there are too easy - thee got gay men are getting together for some hot man-on-man action and after some minor problems they menage to settle into a perfect relationship.

Well, this is not what you will get in
Tina
Jul 10, 2013 Tina rated it it was amazing

Buddy re-read with my sweet Bev. :)

Re-reading Dark Horse wasn't less emotional than my first read in May 2012.

How I suffered with Dan when Justin, his comatose boyfriend and love of his life, dies. Dan's pain is described in a very deep and moving way. He is confused, feels abandoned and lonely. A part of him is dying and he has to find a way to move on. Justin is gone and Dan has to see if he's able to love again, both physically and emotionally.

“I’ve been ‘like part of the family’ before, Rob
Mandy*reads obsessively*
I am a huge fan of ménage stories ( I know, that just shocked the socks off of you all).
But this book and the whole series wasn't really what I was expecting. Each book is told from different POVs, even Justin's in the short Sometimes You Just Know. You get a well rounded feel for all of them and are able to see the big picture, even if Dan is definitely the main focus of all the stories.
I have to say I read them all in one go. I started with this one and went through them all and what starte
Debra
While I enjoyed this book it is one of the more frustrating books I've read. I really do want to see this threesome play out and will be moving on to the next book and shorts. So many reviews have covered plot so this is just my reactions.

This book is all about Dan. Dan's loss is substantial, he wasn't treated fairly and his head is a mess which is all understandable. For the majority of the story Dan comes off very passive and wishy-washy, but towards the end he exhibits an aggressive more mat
JenMcJ
Jun 19, 2010 JenMcJ rated it really liked it
Eva
Dec 27, 2013 Eva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three hot man a better than two!

Fascinating story.... So unusual... Loved it...

Beautiful horses...

Heartbreak... (view spoiler)

Beautiful men...

Just amazing ... (view spoiler)

Onto the second book Out of the Darkness
Gina
Oct 30, 2014 Gina rated it it was amazing
This book did not give me what I was expecting, which in this case is a good thing. I knew this was a book about 3 men getting together (my first book of this type actually) and I assumed there would be some plot, no depth at all. What there would be a whole lot of hot sex (don’t get me wrong that would not really disappoint me...hehehe).

What I got was a Dan, a man who is surfing through the devastating accident of his lover Justin. This accident has left Justin being kept alive by machines and
Kaje Harper
Jun 16, 2011 Kaje Harper rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, m-m
The present-tense narration is almost the only flaw in this otherwise intense and engaging book. This is one of the few threesome novels that I have felt worked on an emotional level, going slowly with issues and concerns, and minimal, delayed sex scenes. There is a lot of angst (which is a plus for my tastes) done well without wallowing in it, and three really interesting main characters, and lots of good secondaries. And thank goodness the sequel is already out, because I finished the last pag ...more
agirlwithoutwingz
Books with characters who make you invest in the story are my favourites, and that is exactly what Dan does here.

With only having his POV, his grief and loss, his foibles and insecurities, his doubts, his hopes, his desires and his efforts to find happiness again. I loved everything about him! But still, what I found a bit frustrating was that there are still many things still unknown for me about him, I definitely feel I need to read more.

It was a lovely read. It was long and seriously most o
Kate Sherwood
Jun 10, 2010 Kate Sherwood added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: mine
This is the first book I've written, and I learned a lot from the process. The most important lesson, from my perspective, is that I really do love to write. The characters came alive for me, and they entertained me all day long, even when I wasn't anywhere near my computer. When I finally did sit down to write, the story flowed easily, because I'd already thought it through so completely.

So, this has already been a great experience for me. I'd love to hear what you all think, though, so, please
Heller
3.5

Dan's grief was horrendous to read. His longtime lover is on life support after a horse riding accident with a DNR attached. I saw Dan in a sort of emotional limbo and it set the tone for rest of the read as sort of somber and melancholy.

While the individual characters were great I found the menage more than a bit unbalanced and I'll have to read the other books to see how these guys manage to make their relationship work in any kind of long term capacity.

I love the horse world setting and
Lily
Dan Wheeler is a horse trainer, it's a job he loves and is good at, but lately not even the horses bring him joy. It's been a year since his lover, Justin, was seriously injured during a riding competition. Working at Justin's family ranch and visiting Justin in the hospital, where he still lies in a coma, is pretty much his whole life now. That starts to change with the visit of billionaire Evan Kaminski, his lover Jeff Stevens and Evan's younger sister Tatiana.

Evan and Jeff are looking to buy
Alyosha
Dark Horse had a lot potential, to which it didn't quite live up to - the setting was great, the theme interesting, the tentative forming of a three way relationship realistic, the characters vulnerable and imperfect, the cast neither too big nor to narrow. The story was told in present tense, which at parts delighted me and at others, frustrated.

First of all, this book could have greatly benefited from a skilled editor, at least 100 pages needed to be cut off. In nearly 400 pages almost nothin
Nic
Jan 13, 2014 Nic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Part One (5 stars) of Dark Horse is primarily focused on Dan, a man who is going through an extreme emotional period in his life. His story is emotional and heart-breaking (to the point of tears as it was so easy to feel his pain). During this time, a work related matter leads to Dan meeting Evan(a billionaire)and his lover Jeff.
Part Two is focused on Dan taking a chance and getting on with his life. He starts a new job, meets new people and gets to know Evan and Jeff as well as Evan's
Sandi ♥'s way too many M/M books
This was so very good I couldn't put it down normally a book this length would've taken me 3 days. Not this time. I love Jeff. I loved Dan's little puppet Chris it cracked me up. But, I think if you would've taken the word "man" out the story it might've been only 300 pages.
Cory
Dec 25, 2013 Cory rated it really liked it
I'm not sure how I ended up reading this on Christmas....but, what are you gonna do?

Dan Wheeler has the perfect life, the perfect job, finds the perfect boyfriends, and lives happily every after. Gotcha!

Gosh, what to even write? This book put me through a range of emotions. I found the first half of the book to be incredibly sad. The writing was so excellent that I could really *feel* Dan's anguish and despair. Dan was so real. The way he was second guessing his decisions and the guilt that he
Nichole (Dirrty H)
Feb 15, 2016 Nichole (Dirrty H) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, mmm
This was a really good book; the first half especially was emotionally harrowing - in a great way of course.
I have a few complaints:
1. I was drawn to this book because of the m/m/m aspect. I find myself very fascinated by that dynamic and am always on the lookout for good m/m/m books. This was definitely a good book, but the three players in this relationship didn't get together until the very end. Most of this book was about Dan and his struggles. Again - great story, but I didn't get what I th
Alona
Mar 08, 2015 Alona rated it it was amazing
OMG!!!
Perfect! Perfect! Perfect!

I can't even begin to describe how much I loved that book.

I did not cry like that for a long time now! And I tell you... Not 'tears streaming down my face quietly', but - big ugly loud sobs!

The author is brilliant at getting you to really FEEL all the emotions the MC's are going through, the sorrow, the loneliness, the passion, the anger... All of it, and strongly.
I also laughed so hard (Evan is a wonderful story teller!) and loved all the other characters: Chris,
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
4.5 stars.
I liked this book very much but I wasn't satisfied with the ending.

The book starts with the very emotional story of the loss of Dan's lover, Justin. I must confess that I cried a few times because Dan's pain is described in a very deep and moving way. You can feel his confusion, his fear, the abandonment, the loneliness. A part of his life is ending tragically and he has to find a way to move on.

The second chance at a new life is prompted by the encounter with Jeff and Evan. Evan is
Mary
This is a story of a man trying to cope with the loss of a great love, and finding the strength to let go. Dan is not looking for anyone new, he works with horses and he is content with that. Then two men stride into his life and suddenly he is offered a second chance at happiness.

I loved this story and especially Dan, he just pulled so many emotions out of me-he is a character that will stay with me for a long time that's for sure.

What I liked about this novel in particular is that he is not t
Kassa
Aug 27, 2010 Kassa rated it really liked it
Dark Horse is a rich emotional story filled with solid characters and an interesting, quirky trio. The horse world is presented in intricate detail that is eye catching, although somewhat too involved sometimes. However you can’t fault a book for complex world building and developing a complicated, fascinating main character. There is some significant angst as Dan struggles to get past his loss and then dealing with the complication of not one, but two potential lovers. Yet I never found this to ...more
  • The Strongest Shape
  • The Hot Floor
  • Room at the Top (Room at the Top, #1)
  • 911 (911, #1)
  • More (More, #1)
  • Bound To Please (Playing for Keeps, #2)
  • Special Delivery (Special Delivery, #1)
  • Fun With Dick and Shane (Memoirs of a Houseboy, #1)
  • At His Throat, A Promise
  • Loving Edits (Basque, #1)
  • The Distance Between Us (The Distance Between Us, #1, Wilde's #2)
  • By Any Other Name (By Any Other Name #1)
  • Sandpipers' Secrets (Sandpipers, #1)
  • Acquainted with the Night
  • Beyond Complicated
  • What We Deserve
  • Three Traders (Falls Chance Ranch #2)
  • Three's Company

Dark Horse (3 books)
  • Out of the Darkness (Dark Horse, #2)
  • Of Dark and Bright (Dark Horse, #3)

“Yes, it's worth it. The pain of sorrow is terrible and hard to bear, but the joy of love makes it worthwhile. p123” 22 likes
“I’ve been ‘like part of the family’ before, Robyn… it never lasts. People say the dog is like part of the family, right before they get rid of it because one of the real kids gets allergies.” 9 likes