Start by marking “The Forever Hero: Dawn for a Distant Earth, The Silent Warrior, In Endless Twilight” as Want to Read:

The Forever Hero: Dawn for a Distant Earth, The Silent Warrior, In Endless Twilight (Forever Hero #1-3 omnibus)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,142 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
L. E. Modesitt, Jr's first major work was a trilogy of SF adventure novels published as paperback originals in the 1980s: Dawn for a Distant Earth, The Silent Warrior, and In Endless Twilight. Together they form The Forever Hero.

Thousands of years in the future, Earth is a desolate ruin. The first human ship to return in millennia discovers an abandoned wasteland inhabited
Published April 1st 2007 by Tor Books (first published July 2nd 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Forever Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forever Hero

Audrey
Apr 08, 2010 Audrey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I really dislike many of the writing conventions used by Modesitt--refusing to directly refer to the main character (the man in the black combat suit by the console--gah!), excessive sound effects, and piss-poor women characters, for example. However, I did read the whole book. I guess I'm still nerdy enough to like the "I am a superior outsider and will systematically destroy your whole society" schtick.
Jared Bagley
Sep 22, 2015 Jared Bagley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good scifi book that becomes an awkward fantasy book by the end. The final 10% felt significantly different from everything that preceeded it. The ending was not what I was expecting, and may disturb some, but it felt believable and I cannot say what other ending I would have expected given the foreshadowing. The ending was dark, but 'realistic.' A decidely adult work of fiction.
Neil
Nov 24, 2011 Neil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are some very familiar themes in this book, and I for one wonder how it relates to the author's other series regarding the Ecological Institute of Accord and the same Empire that appears here.

I wonder if the Captain has anything to do with the founding of the Institute?
Jay Hendricks
Oct 14, 2007 Jay Hendricks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi Fans
Shelves: sci-fi
Three books in one. This is about a future earth child, where the earth is a wasteland and he works his quest to make the planet green once again. Can't help but whoop at his tenacity and antics.
Vicki
Oct 24, 2009 Vicki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the book that began my love affair with L.E. Modesitt Jr. as an author. The defense of ecology is a familiar theme of his.
Nathania
Very good the last chapter was very disappointing
Arrcraft
I love this story, however you feel like you are reading a summary of the protagonist's actions rather than experiencing an adventure. I would say a good quarter of the book is made up of "computer speak" there are whole pages of characters following procedures with air traffic controllers, or with their ship AI. While this makes it more realistic, it takes of a lot of time to read through. Another gripe I have with the book is that every chapter it decides to introduce the main character in a n ...more
Frode
Oct 28, 2014 Frode rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
L.E. is one of my favorite authors, and I liked the book, but many of his others are better. Greg, the main character, displays some fine characteristics, and there is some drama and action along with soul searching. It was an interesting book, but I wouldn't read it a second time.
David Sibley
Jan 04, 2015 David Sibley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just like the Timegods' World, this series is slow to begin, but its an awesome set. There are times when it feels like it isn't progressing, but that is common in Modesitt's writing. Its definitely worth your while to finish this book though.
Michael Grant
Oct 07, 2014 Michael Grant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic out of time.

Few books have the ability to span centuries within their covers, yet still remain exciting yet powerful. This collection of stories keeps the reader turning pages till the very end and STILL wanting more.

Marisa
Feb 25, 2014 Marisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rather long and drawn out. Not much action. The written sound effects were annoying. I actually found it boring.
Jonas Samuelle
Dec 18, 2013 Jonas Samuelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic Modesitt. Not as Well paced or succinct as The TimeGod, or The Hammer of Darkness, but the length helps one appreciate the time span of an immortal's life.

It's four stars and not five because the author made a few promises in the first book that he failed to keep. The passage of time was irregular, and certain events that would have lended some emotional closure at the end, never occurred.

It's a great book to get lost in. I'd recommend this as someone's first Modesitt SF book to read,
Peter Rayner
Oct 19, 2014 Peter Rayner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my alltime Favorite books.
Raynor Moore
Michael V. Cross
Man against the universe at its very best
Tony
Nov 12, 2011 Tony rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would have given it 5 stars, but there were certain moral issues that I just could not tolerate. While the main character is interesting, and the technology is rather cool, there are certain times where the main character does something reprehensible. If I had to rate it like movies, it would be PG-13 bordering on R.
Jee
Mar 29, 2013 Jee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of his better books. I have been trying to get the hard copy for several months but cannot find it in hardback so ended up with paperback.
If read carefully it is a thought provoking book which cover both I am an alien you'ld better watch out and ecology. I thoroughly enjoyed the story and will look for others
Jacob
Jul 03, 2013 Jacob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Modesitt will always make you think & this story is proof of that. Challenging. You really feel the emotional turmoil the main character goes through as he makes his decisions & faces the consequences. A bit like Hemingway in his abruptness (not that I'm a Hemingway expert, just made me think of him).
Will
Jul 06, 2015 Will rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately for this book, when I think of a "forever hero" in science fiction, I think Hal Mayne. And this book is no Childe Cycle. It is written like a 40's-50's book with the forced sex on women OK. I like the middle book the best, but overall, it was just disjointed and antique.
Coby
Jul 23, 2014 Coby rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I always warn anyone I lend a Modesitt book to that his books aren't for everyone. I love some of the Recluse books, I like the Corean books. This one sucks. Main character is pretty much a terrible person... But I think we're supposed to like him. Do not read.
Kristin
I found the pacing to be uncomfortable and the characters unrelatable. Stopped after the first book.
Mel
Aug 08, 2010 Mel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would have given it 4 stars but the ending didn't really fit with the rest of the book.
Mariana
Jul 04, 2009 Mariana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
His first book, good airplane reading, an interesting take on ecology.
Katy
Jul 12, 2015 Katy rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
Actual rating 3.5 stars, due to the third book in the omnibus.
Russell
Sep 29, 2011 Russell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Interesting spin on the future of earth.
Brent
Jan 22, 2010 Brent rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting. Post apocalyptic elf saves Earth...
Khai
Khai marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Benoit Rochon
Benoit Rochon rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Thomas L Maroon
Thomas L Maroon rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
Karen Frank
Karen Frank marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
  • Counting the Cost
  • Relic of Empire (Forbidden Borders, #2)
  • Burning Bright
  • The Final Nightmare (Robotech, Second Generation, #9)
  • Design for Great-Day
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • The Rising (The Flight Engineer, #1)
  • The War With Earth (New Kashubia, #2)
  • Brain Ships (Brainship, #2-3)
  • The Cobra Trilogy
  • Path of the Fury
  • Last Stand: Bolos 4
  • Skyfall (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #9)
  • The Green Hills of Earth / The Menace from Earth
  • Old Guard: Bolos Anthology 5 (Bolos, #5)
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u
More about L.E. Modesitt Jr....

Forever Hero (3 books)
  • Dawn for a Distant Earth (Forever Hero, #1)
  • The Silent Warrior (Forever Hero, #2)
  • In Endless Twilight (Forever Hero, #3)