Start by marking “Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites” as Want to Read:
Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites

Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites

Getting your Canon Speedlite to produce the light you need can be a real challenge. For those new to flash photography or for anyone who has previously given up out of frustration "Speedliter s Handbook" is a revelation. Photographer Syl Arena takes you on a journey that begins with an exploration of light and color, moves through a comprehensive discussion of the Canon Sp ...more
Published December 29th 2010 by Peachpit Press (first published August 19th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Speedliter's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speedliter's Handbook

Luke Burrage
Feb 21, 2011 Luke Burrage rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A really great introduction to small strobe photography, with a very specific focus on Canon Speedlites. This is exactly what I need to find my way around this new (to me) area of photography. While there is a lot of equipment covered, most of the examples and lessons focus on how to do things cheaply and quickly. I'm glad about this, as I don't want to spend too much more money on photography just yet.

While the lessons are good, and the information imparted invaluable, many of the photographs u
William C. Montgomery
Apr 22, 2013 William C. Montgomery rated it liked it
Shelves: photography
I have mixed impressions of the book. I like Syl Arena. He incorporates his hometown and his family, namely his three teenage sons, in his business and features them in the book. The book has much good information, including a few nuggets that were new to me. The book was comprehensive, specific to the Canon equipment that I currently own or hope to own in the near future, easily understandable, and Syl’s writing style is engaging.

So what is not to like? As well done as Speedliter’s Handbook is
Apr 23, 2016 Andrea rated it really liked it
This book is a very detailed and comprehensive manual about using Canon speedlites. The author does a great job of explaining different things that you can do with speedlites. I loved all of the pictures that helped demonstrate how the same shot can look completely different just by changing the settings on the camera and the speedlites.
Jim Driscoll
Jan 01, 2013 Jim Driscoll rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a present from my brother (Hi Jerry!) after it languished on my wishlist for a couple years. I really wish I'd gotten it sooner.

This book is amazing. It covers everything, and I mean pretty much everything, about Canon Speedlites. And a fair bit more on flash photography besides.

Do you know what high speed sync means for Canon flashes? Were you aware that you can make your 430EX strobe multiple times a second in slave mode? And how do you use that "C" group?

Or, if all of
Páll  Gudmundsson
Mar 30, 2013 Páll Gudmundsson rated it it was amazing
I bought this book to help me understand all the features on my Speedlite 580EXII But it turned out to be a much more than that. It is more of a thorough textbook on photo lightning in general than merely a handbook. Syl divides the book in 4 parts: Part 1 Before Speedlites there was light. Part2 Speedlites fundamentally. Part3 Gear for Speedliting. Part4 Speedliting in Action.

Syl has personal and fun writing style without trying to hard to be funny. I really recommend this book fore anyone inte
Deanna Roy
Mar 13, 2011 Deanna Roy rated it really liked it
This is a great basic book on using TTL Speedlites. Besides specific information on the Canon line, there are many chapters devoted to general lighting topics such as modifiers, lighting setups, basics on the inverse square law and cross-lighting, as well as many fun tips along the way.

The photos in the book are not inspiring (and some were downright awful--surely we aren't working toward THAT!) But I did get a lot out of the book. I'm a 12-year pro photographer wanting to get a better handle o
Jan 25, 2014 Meds rated it really liked it
this book I can suggest it right now , instead of reading it page by page u can surf through it as u like and as what u want really I took too long time to finish it from cover to cover but it Worth's.
Tom Peterson
Jan 22, 2015 Tom Peterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jun 11, 2012 Babak rated it it was amazing
Excellent practical introduction to flash photography. Very pedagogic text that made me understand what the different buttons on my Canon speedlites are. Some parts of it become too generic and can be found in other lightning books (some of which are much better than this). But the parts that explain Canon speedlites are indispensable.
Aug 25, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
brilliant book on how to i) understand light ii) then deeper into how to interact light with Canon flash iii) outdoor situation iv) indoor situation v) gadgets that help to create special effects, or light controls both outdoor/indoors) vi) examples and cases. Must have and must read, and will help. A marvel.
Felipe Nuñez
Oct 26, 2013 Felipe Nuñez rated it it was amazing
Very good book if you are just starting in the Speedlight world. I cant recommend enough this book, the only "complain" is the photos used in the examples, sometimes, get the feeling are just half-done, still think they reflect the idea, just not as elaborate as you will expect.
Laura Madsen
Feb 12, 2015 Laura Madsen rated it really liked it
Very good information. Even if you don't have a Speedlite (yet), there is good info on lighting and balancing ambient and flash.
Nov 28, 2013 Howard rated it liked it
If you have a Canon speedlite and want to better familiarise yourself with its full range of capabilities, read this book and keep this book handy. An excellent reference guide.
Sep 04, 2014 Matt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Fantastic comprehensive introduction to off-camera speedliting. It covers everything from shooting traditional portraits to light modifications to buying batteries.
Aug 07, 2012 J.b. rated it really liked it
Awesome book for learning to use Canon Speedlites. Some really good basic photography here as well. I learned a lot and realized I have a lot to learn.
Mike Lewis
Oct 25, 2012 Mike Lewis rated it really liked it
Great book on Canon flash. I just wish it was updated for the new 600ex Rt's. still, the concepts in here are solid. It's a great lighting book
Andrew Naylor
Jan 05, 2013 Andrew Naylor rated it it was amazing
Just phenomenal!
Catie rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2016
Gregg B
Gregg B rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2016
Kathy Cox
Kathy Cox rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2016
Frederic P. Felker
Frederic P. Felker marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2016
Gary rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2016
Gonzalo Blasco
Gonzalo Blasco rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2016
Jude marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2016
Roxanne Knight
Roxanne Knight rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2016
Howard Woodruff
Howard Woodruff rated it it was ok
Sep 17, 2016
Bassel added it
Sep 15, 2016
Behrad marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Nedelcho marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Scott Gant
Scott Gant rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2016
  • The Hot Shoe Diaries: Big Light from Small Flashes (Voices That Matter)
  • Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
  • The Photographer's Mind: Creative Thinking for Better Digital Photos
  • The Digital Photography Book (Volume 4)
  • VisionMongers: Making a Life and a Living in Photography
  • Picture Perfect Practice: A Self-Training Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Taking World-Class Photographs (Voices That Matter)
  • Bryan Peterson's Understanding Photography Field Guide: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera
  • People Pictures: 30 Exercises for Creating Authentic Photographs
  • The Negative (Ansel Adams Photography, #2)
  • Photography Q&A: Real Questions. Real Answers.