Start by marking “Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites” as Want to Read:
Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites

Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Getting your Canon Speedlite to produce the light you need can be a real challenge. For those new to flash photography--or for anyone who has previously given up out of frustration--"Speedliter's Handbook" is a revelation. Photographer Syl Arena takes you on a journey that begins with an exploration of light and color, moves through a comprehensive discussion of the Canon ...more
Published December 29th 2010 by Peachpit Press (first published August 19th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Speedliter's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speedliter's Handbook

Luke Burrage
A really great introduction to small strobe photography, with a very specific focus on Canon Speedlites. This is exactly what I need to find my way around this new (to me) area of photography. While there is a lot of equipment covered, most of the examples and lessons focus on how to do things cheaply and quickly. I'm glad about this, as I don't want to spend too much more money on photography just yet.

While the lessons are good, and the information imparted invaluable, many of the photographs u
William C. Montgomery
I have mixed impressions of the book. I like Syl Arena. He incorporates his hometown and his family, namely his three teenage sons, in his business and features them in the book. The book has much good information, including a few nuggets that were new to me. The book was comprehensive, specific to the Canon equipment that I currently own or hope to own in the near future, easily understandable, and Syl’s writing style is engaging.

So what is not to like? As well done as Speedliter’s Handbook is
Jim Driscoll
I received this book as a present from my brother (Hi Jerry!) after it languished on my wishlist for a couple years. I really wish I'd gotten it sooner.

This book is amazing. It covers everything, and I mean pretty much everything, about Canon Speedlites. And a fair bit more on flash photography besides.

Do you know what high speed sync means for Canon flashes? Were you aware that you can make your 430EX strobe multiple times a second in slave mode? And how do you use that "C" group?

Or, if all of
Páll  Gudmundsson
I bought this book to help me understand all the features on my Speedlite 580EXII But it turned out to be a much more than that. It is more of a thorough textbook on photo lightning in general than merely a handbook. Syl divides the book in 4 parts: Part 1 Before Speedlites there was light. Part2 Speedlites fundamentally. Part3 Gear for Speedliting. Part4 Speedliting in Action.

Syl has personal and fun writing style without trying to hard to be funny. I really recommend this book fore anyone inte
Deanna Roy
This is a great basic book on using TTL Speedlites. Besides specific information on the Canon line, there are many chapters devoted to general lighting topics such as modifiers, lighting setups, basics on the inverse square law and cross-lighting, as well as many fun tips along the way.

The photos in the book are not inspiring (and some were downright awful--surely we aren't working toward THAT!) But I did get a lot out of the book. I'm a 12-year pro photographer wanting to get a better handle o
Meds
this book I can suggest it right now , instead of reading it page by page u can surf through it as u like and as what u want really I took too long time to finish it from cover to cover but it Worth's.
Babak
Excellent practical introduction to flash photography. Very pedagogic text that made me understand what the different buttons on my Canon speedlites are. Some parts of it become too generic and can be found in other lightning books (some of which are much better than this). But the parts that explain Canon speedlites are indispensable.
David
brilliant book on how to i) understand light ii) then deeper into how to interact light with Canon flash iii) outdoor situation iv) indoor situation v) gadgets that help to create special effects, or light controls both outdoor/indoors) vi) examples and cases. Must have and must read, and will help. A marvel.
Felipe Nuñez
Very good book if you are just starting in the Speedlight world. I cant recommend enough this book, the only "complain" is the photos used in the examples, sometimes, get the feeling are just half-done, still think they reflect the idea, just not as elaborate as you will expect.
Howard
If you have a Canon speedlite and want to better familiarise yourself with its full range of capabilities, read this book and keep this book handy. An excellent reference guide.
Matt
Sep 04, 2014 Matt rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
Fantastic comprehensive introduction to off-camera speedliting. It covers everything from shooting traditional portraits to light modifications to buying batteries.
J.b.
Awesome book for learning to use Canon Speedlites. Some really good basic photography here as well. I learned a lot and realized I have a lot to learn.
Mike Lewis
Great book on Canon flash. I just wish it was updated for the new 600ex Rt's. still, the concepts in here are solid. It's a great lighting book
Andrew Naylor
Just phenomenal!
Bryce Gifford
Bryce Gifford is currently reading it
Jan 29, 2015
Beth
Beth added it
Jan 20, 2015
Rick Allen
Rick Allen marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Teresa Vaughn
Teresa Vaughn marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Charlene Carpenter
Charlene Carpenter marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
  • The Hot Shoe Diaries: Big Light from Small Flashes (Voices That Matter)
  • Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
  • The Photographer's Mind: Creative Thinking for Better Digital Photos
  • VisionMongers: Making a Life and a Living in Photography
  • The Digital Photography Book (Volume 4)
  • The Passionate Photographer: Ten Steps Toward Becoming Great
  • The Negative (Ansel Adams Photography, #2)
  • Photography Q&A: Real Questions. Real Answers.
  • Picture Perfect Practice: A Self-Training Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Taking World-Class Photographs (Voices That Matter)
  • Bryan Peterson's Understanding Photography Field Guide: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera
  • People Pictures: 30 Exercises for Creating Authentic Photographs
  • Creative Black & White: Digital Photography Tips & Techniques
Light and Lighting: From Snapshots to Great Shots Lighting for Digital Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots (Using Flash and Natural Light for Portrait, Still Life, Action, and Product Photography) LIDLIPS Lessons I Didn't Learn In Photo School: 100 Modern Insights On Photography Lighting for Digital Photography: from Snapshots to Great Shots Manuel d'éclairage au flash