Start by marking “Everything I Know About Writing” as Want to Read:
Everything I Know About Writing

Everything I Know About Writing

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The ultimate "get off your bum and do it" book, Everything I Know About Writing will motivate anyone to write. It's a lively funny guide to writing, as readable as a novel, but packed front to back with ideas and insights.And this new edition has one other great feature: 600 extraordinary topics, guaranteed to have you or your students writing be ...more
Published 1998 by Pan Macmillan Australia (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Everything I Know About Writing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything I Know About Writing

On Writing by Stephen KingThe Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr.Bird by Bird by Anne LamottWriting Down the Bones by Natalie GoldbergEats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss
Best Books on Writing
133rd out of 456 books — 830 voters
Possum Magic by Mem FoxAnimalia by Graeme BaseDiary of a Wombat by Jackie FrenchWhere is the Green Sheep? by Mem FoxWhere the Forest Meets the Sea by Jeannie Baker
Best Australian literature for children
266th out of 271 books — 108 voters

More lists with this book...

TheMadHatter
I was searching for "Tomorrow, when the war began" in my library catalogue and came across this book by the same author. I thought it might me an inspirational read, but it just didn't work for me.

This book would probably be suited to a young adult (of which I am not) who has yet to realise the KISS principle or that each word chosen should add value. I can't say I got anything meaningful from this book (and that is saying something as I know little about the craft of writing). The cover of the
Zac Dixon
This book was a great introduction to writing. Some parts of it were a little dated (just look at the front cover haha). Although i hadn't heard of many of the movies/books he mentioned, it didn't take away from the books usefulness. It's short and to the point and even made me smile in some spots. I'd recommend this to all aspiring writers who enjoy John Marsdens books (especially teenagers).
leigh
I got this at the ever-useful Bookman’s; it was rotting away in the .50-cent bin, I had to rescue it because my favorite Aussie writer wrote it. (To be honest he might be the only Australian writer I’ve read, I’ll have to check on that.) I’m not one who normally reads books of the how to/for dummies instructional books but I just have a weird thing for Mr. Marsden. The book was funny and kind. The first chapter was entitled “The Collector” and it was all about collection words, characters, stori ...more
Jane
Marsden's style is as readable as his fiction. Written in a clear, personable manner, the advice and hints and examples of ways into good writing should prove a boon for everyone. The varied activities listed at the end are a fabulous resource especially for teachers of writing.
Brett Buckley
Good for young aspiring writers. Extra star for the old diskette on the front. Remember those?
Merrilee
I picked this up from the Library today, because it was on the end shelf. I hadn't planned on reading any more "how to write" books, but I loved John Marsden's books as a teen, so I was curious to hear what he had to say.

You can tell from the very first page that John loves language, and you will too, once you have finished this book. He really shows you how language can come alive; how to make it work, how to avoid banality and cliche, how to make your stories sing, and all shown by example.

Ver
John (J.J.) Sheahan
This was a goldmine when teaching a senior secondary writing class.
Danielle
Not overly technical, with loads of stories and demonstrative prose that I can relate to, this is 'how to write' books as they should be. It's even shorter than it looks, with about a third of the small book dedicated to "600 writing topics" which I am about to use as a blog series. But the short length of the book only serves to strengthen it. Marsden only puts the best of his writing advice in here. It's nice to not be overwhelmed with information. A great book.
Megs
I first picked this up when I was about twelve and I loved it! I took it with me eveywhere!
I've gained so much from this tiny little book! John Marsden has taught me the essential basics of story writing, from character development to interesting plots to dialogue, it's definitely worth buying!
The hundreds of ideas and prompts in the back of the book are great for small activities and for inspiration!
Mishy
This handy little book is aimed at teenagers, but I find it quite helpful, perhaps due to its simplicity and no-nonsense approaches to writing. Being a slim reference, it's one I enjoy referring to again and again. It tends to inspire me to actually write something, which is always a plus!
Tara Calaby
This would be an excellent book for young adults to read. If I were in charge of high school creative writing classes, I would assign it. There's not really a lot in here that would be new to experienced adult writers, but it's still a worthwhile read, I think.
Angela Kingston
I'm marking this one as another 'must read' for writers, especially those that work with young people. Clear and concise with excellent examples of good and bad use of language and useful writing exercises.
Lani
This book, written by one of my favorite authors, is fresh, entertaining and helpful. It is brimming with examples and practical advice for writing.
Erin Lancaster
John Marsden will help you freshen up your writing in a fun and book that has personally revolutionized my writing - highly recommended!!
Mary De Bomford
A great practical guide. Very creative and full of good writing tips and writing excecises. This book has helped me improve my writing.
Tara Bateman
A really helpful book on the basics of writing a good story
Rohit Jobanputra
Rohit Jobanputra marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Ashley Reid
Ashley Reid marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Kareena
Kareena marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Lexie
Lexie added it
Nov 03, 2014
Anastasia
Anastasia marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Janelle
Janelle is currently reading it
Oct 22, 2014
Batool
Batool marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
  • A Novel in a Year
  • The Late American Novel: Writers on the Future of Books
  • Sideshow: Dumbing Down Democracy
  • On Writers and Writing
  • The How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci Workbook: Your Personal Companion to How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci
  • Blue Sparrow: Tweets on Writing, Reading, and Other Creative Nonsense
  • You'll Be Sorry When I'm Dead
  • The Spooky Art: Thoughts on Writing
  • Between the Lines: Master the Subtle Elements of Fiction Writing
See also: John Marsden.

His first book, So Much To Tell You, was published in 1987. This was followed by Take My Word For It, a half-sequel written from the point of view of another character. His landmark Tomorrow series is recognized as the most popular book series for young adults ever written in Australia. The first book of this series, Tomorrow When The War Began, has been reprinted 26 times i
More about John Marsden...
Tomorrow, When the War Began (Tomorrow, #1) The Dead of Night (Tomorrow, #2) A Killing Frost (Tomorrow, #3) Darkness, Be My Friend (Tomorrow, #4) Burning For Revenge (Tomorrow, #5)

“Light is important to us humans. It influences our moods, our perceptions, our energy levels. A face glimpsed among trees, dappled by the shadows and the green-tinged light reflected from the forest, will seem quite different to the same face seen on a beach in hard, dry, sunlight, or in a darkening room at twilight, with the shadows of a venetian blind striped across it like a convict’s uniform.” 25 likes