Blank-133x176
swords of night and day.

David Gemmell

swords of night and day. (The Drenai Saga #11)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  4,118 ratings  ·  48 reviews
With mythic sweep and epic scope, David Gemmell’s bestselling novels of magic and adventure feature brooding heroes who fight to preserve all that is good and honorable in themselves and in the worlds through which they stride like lonely giants. In times of terror and despair, theirs are the swords that carve a shining path, inspiring others to follow. Even after their de...more
680 pages
Published 2004 by Howes (first published January 1st 539)

To ask other readers questions about swords of night and day., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about swords of night and day.

BookBandit
This book, as with the series as a whole, is just good, solid, entertaining fantasy. It is not very often you can have an eleven book series and hit solidly on every book, Gemmell does it with this series and this book fits right in.
Jen
This was not my first David Gemmell book - I already knew I loved this author for his vivid descriptions, intensely real characters and wonderfully action-packed and emotionally brilliant stories. However, when I read it I had not read the previous books about Druss the Legend or Skilgannon the Damned. At this point in time I have read ALL of them, and though I recommend them all, the Swords of Night and Day is still my favorite Gemmell book and probably one of my favorite books of all time. It...more
Charles
This is one of the best books, period, that I've read in the last three years. I think it would be very helpful, however, to have read some of the earlier works in this series. That will make you really have a feel for the characters.
Mark Farbus
Mayank Agarwal
Another page turner for Gemmell, only problem , it's was very much predictable. It's like all his books are so easy to read and similar (11th in the series) that i am missing complication.

This book we have Skilgannon back(from White Wolf), having known characters is always pleasant but what i really loved about the book was the new world we get to see. The finding of lost civilization having hi-tech technology. Would have like if we had more on it.Also when Druss make's appearance's it's a tota...more
S.E. Lindberg
The Swords of Night and Day is just okay. Given the amount of material Gemmell had to work with, this book falls flat but is still somewhat enjoyable. It merely recaps events explained in the previous books, but in a confusing way. Having read and enjoyed Gemmell's books (i.e. Legend, White Wolf, The King Beyond the Gate) I was anxious to delve into another. However, it does not add much to the series.

- The Drenai series spans eleven books, though it really is several mini-series with connection...more
Steve
This book certainly keeps its' '4 star' rating. In fact it's a '4.5 star read'... I think it's the bring Skilgannon back from the dead and the 'arcane machines' part that is a bit... too unreal (yes, I know it's fantasy *laughing*)...

The way that the story plays out though is done beautifully. And as for the characters... Well, these are some of the best written characters in Gemmell's work. Skilgannon, the deadly swordsman and great general that carries the guilt of his former raid on an ancie...more
Sonic
I needed ESCAPE, I needed a "page-turner," I needed Something to tide me over until G.R.R.Martin or P. Rothfuss FINALLY got their next (Damn) book out, ... and so I asked someone on FB ~

'Is there anything comparable to those two writers, or at least good enough to tide me over while I wait for the next promising Fantasy book?'

At first he said he was not sure he could recommend anything, (and he was ont aware of Rothfuss)... and then later in an offhand way he suggested David Gemmell.

Well this...more
Troy G
This book takes place long in the future from the first book of Skilgannon. Magic allows him to rise from the dead, because of a prophecy. Skilgannon doesn't care much for prophecy. Nor is he eager to take up someone else's cause no matter how righteous.

Many of David Gemmell books deal with an exploration of prophecy and fate, and most of them do it better than this one, but not by alot.

I think that if this book hadn't been quite so dependent on raising from the dead other characters from Skil...more
Will Hogarth
I have always been a fan of David Gemmell, reading a number of his books in the past, so I had great expectations of this book and it did not let me down. I would describe this book as a page turner, a book I struggled to put down.

The story never stalls or looses it place, it relentlessly moves on with all its principal players being well rounded in a way that you end up empathising with the characters as the book progresses.

David Gemmell has the knack of telling engaging stories with sound plot...more
Joshua Simon
Not the best in the series but an entertaining read nonetheless.

Good action and some pretty memorable scenes. However, I'm honestly glad this was the last in the Drenai saga as it seemed Gemmell got where he couldn't write a tale without Druss or at least a thousand references to previous works in the series.

I also find it odd that in this book (the 11th in the series), he suddenly introduces the idea that thousands of years ago the people that lived in his world actually had what we would cons...more
Iceman9t9
Finished my re-reading of the drennai series. I have enjoyed all the books but none have quite earned that fifth star. As a stand alone book this does not either. So why have I given it 5 stars? If you asked me before I re-read it I would not have listed it among my favourite books or even rated it over other gemmell novels. However having just read all the books back to back, this novel just wrapped it all up. Yes, it shamelessly draws from all the other books and the plot twists are as predict...more
Jeff
Gemmel doesnt always strike a chord with me. His work is superlative and often brilliant, but I find him mired in the way he tells stories. he doesnt always manage to convince me in his tales when he jumps from one idea to another so rapidly that I lose interest.

This however, originally bought to read on holiday, exceeds any expectations I had. its a gore drenched action adventure that has at its heart the essence of a great "Conan" story but does so built on the almost effortless works of the g...more
Makoto
It was a good book up till the epilogue and then I was like wtf... Or I would have given it 5 stars. Maybe I'm not as forgiving.
Brad
Sep 02, 2008 Brad rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Eddings, Tolkien, Weis & Hickman.
Recommended to Brad by: Laura Gennings
An excellent blend of classic heroic fantasy with elements of science fiction.

I was more than once reminded of Frank Herbert's Heretics of Dune, which as one of my favorite books is definitely a good thing.

The action is well paced and vividly described and the chracters have real substance and depth, defiantly breaking out of the predictable-fantasy-hero molds. There are a number of chuckle-worthy passages and more than one quotable line. The descriptions do not linger on, but Gemmell manages t...more
Ange Waddington
A must read for those that love magic, demons, and epic bloody battles!!
Sophie
Well, the end suprised me and yes, its Druss again:)
Keith Fearns
read them both and love them both i made my character Olek Atius Morvayn after Skilgannon the Damned--- you know for a rpg with duel wielding magicial enhanced katanas called the swords of Fire and Ice. look out world gemmell is really making a impact in the community and the world will rise to the occassion when they are around. you know who im talking about. i love fantasy so hopefully i'll get my stories out there some day you know published but who knows i do write tons on fan fiction so jus...more
Tanvir Muntasim
Another exciting epic fantasy from the inimitable Daid Gemmell, with the unusual theme of resurrecting a hero out of his time and proving that the attribute of heroism is universal. In the middle of palace intrigue and violent bloodshed, some surprisingly poignant insights about nature of love and what it means to love and then pose it against corruption caused by absolute power. A big bo, but never a boring read. Highly recommended for fans of epic fantasy.
Josh Meares
I really like this book. It has a solid ending, I get to see Druss a little bit, I like the characters. It acknowledges the non-redemptiveness of violence while trying to make some sort of sense of resisting evil. Skilgannon is a great character, as is the new Decado. Even Jianna turns out to be a good character. Memnon is the only disappointing one, but most characters that are described as "extremely intelligent" end up being disappointing.
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
The last of the Drenai books (before the author's death), I find these books are taking on a rather sameness. It's not that the book is bad. And the depth of the story and characters is a bit greater than in his early books. But overall, there is something missing; the whole thing has a "been there, done that" feel.
Matt Farrelly
Took me a little longer to get into this one as it picked up over a 1000 years after Skilgannon's death, however, Gemmell's usual top notch writing and story weaving kicked in after awhile and couldn't put it down. Not quite as good as some of his other series but still enjoyable.
Scott
I love how this character is all about seeking redemption. He committed some serious moral crimes on order of his Queen, then leaves the army and spends his life trying to avoid fighting and war, but the battles keep finding him and he's forced into conflict again and again.
Cody
I read this ages ago and loved it, but when I re-read it recently, I wasn't as in love with it. Dunno why. Maybe I'm just tired of reading fantasy. Maybe I'm too jaded. :/ Anyway, this was still a really awesome read, regardless of how much I changed as a reader over the years.
Cass
Another great gemmell. A good read though This one really highlights his 'magic fix endings'. He writes himself into a proverbial corner and then adds some magical 'fix-it' in the last chapter in order to provide us with the ending.
Mike (the Paladin)
Another winner. Gemmell weaves a story with action and character that I really care about. Is he a writer of "men's" books? Maybe, but give the books a try for yourself. I think they'll appeal to a wide audiance.
Suzanne
Finished the whole drenai series finally!! I have to say I really loved this whole series, so well written with solid characters and all storylines coming together well
Jesper Timmerman
Awesome book, great addition to it's predeccesor, White Wolf. Having read that one will definitely help understand several of the characters and the storyline, though.
Filipa
I did like the White Wolf a little bit more but I think the on-going story is also very well achieved. So, a must read after the white wolf. No doubt.
David Gemmell Readers >> Who would win in a fight 3 32 Aug 02, 2012 04:24PM
  • Lágrimas do Sol e da Lua (A Saga das Pedras Mágicas, #3)
  • A Manopla de Karasthan (Crónicas de Allaryia, #1)
  • King of Foxes (Conclave of Shadows, #2)
  • The Skein of Lament (Braided Path, #2)
  • The Third God
  • The Way Between the Worlds (The View from the Mirror, #4)
  • Monument
David Andrew Gemmell was a bestselling British author of heroic fantasy. A former journalist and newspaper editor, Gemmell had his first work of fiction published in 1984. He went on to write over thirty novels. Best known for his debut, Legend, Gemmell's works display violence, yet also explores themes in honour, loyalty and redemption. With over one million copies sold, his work continues to sel...more
More about David Gemmell...
Legend (Drenai Saga, #1) Waylander (Drenai Saga, #3) Lord of the Silver Bow (Troy, #1) The King Beyond the Gate (Drenai Saga, #2) The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (Drenai Saga, #6)

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat, or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. That was the iron code of Druss the Legend.” 0 likes
“We all of us carry the seed of evil in our hearts and souls,” she told him. “Even the purest, even the most holy. It is part of the human condition, born into us. We cannot root it out. All we can do—at best—is prevent it from germinating.” 0 likes