Start by marking “Darkness, Be My Friend (Tomorrow, #4)” as Want to Read:
Darkness, Be My Friend (Tomorrow, #4)

Darkness, Be My Friend (Tomorrow #4)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  10,172 ratings  ·  247 reviews
Nowhere to run; one place left to hide. You're running from bullets through the streets of your own town. Your life's on the line and no-one's there to help. What's happened? When did safety turn to fear, peace turn to war, happiness turn to panic? When did your normal day become a nightmare? Ellie and her friends struggle with the biggest questions life can offer in Darkn ...more
Published 1996 by Pan Macmillan Australia

To ask other readers questions about Darkness, Be My Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkness, Be My Friend

Mish
This didn’t impress me as much as the others in the series. The book deals with the physiological impact the teenagers are going through as a result of the war. The action scenes are still heavy and fast paced but it’s all starting to sound the same. Not a lot of progress is being made. It is emotional in parts, when we learn a little more of family and friends held at the showgrounds.

Overall I think the series is brilliant and I’ve come too really like the characters. In particular Ellie, I th
Jessica

**check out my review for Tomorrow, When the War Began for my take on the series as a whole**

Probably the slowest of the series so far, but by no means unworthy of the 5 stars rating. The feel of this book and the style are a bit of a departure. There is less action and craziness and way more internal dialogue for Ellie. I noticed a lot more “I remember when...”, and Ellie will often stop midway through a conversation or action sequence to share an anecdote with the reader. I can see how this m
Boots
I feel like Darkness, Be My Friend is the weakest novel so far in an otherwise excellent series. I would still recommend the series on a whole but I hope the next novels are better than this one.

Some people might not have a problem with it but for me there were some issues with the plot that were so far fetched that it had a negative effect on the believability of the entire series, and I already had to stretch my imagination to begin with so that's not a good thing.

Also there was a reference t
Lars Guthrie
Marsden keeps hitting them out of the park for me in this series, which take place in a present-time Australia that has been invaded and conquered. In 'Darkness,' Marsden's teenage narrator Ellie is forced out of a sort of retirement in New Zealand after she and her friends accomplished a spectacular act of resistance in 'A Killing Frost.' Perhaps this is best, as Ellie seems at loose ends. After some self-destructive behavior at a party, she signs on to return to Australia. As with the previous ...more
Kaila
Still eminently readable, but not quite as good as the previous books in this series. Ellie is basically suffering from PTSD for this entire book, so it is a lot more talking about how scared and tired everyone is. It was a lot more about how terrible war is, but our intrepid youngsters seemed less knowable then ever. There was a lot of narrative, explaining stuff, not very much conversation. It's hard to explain because that all seems to follow one another - of course they are unknowable now, l ...more
Melbourne on my mind
Plot summary: Now safe in Wellington, Ellie and her friends are adapting to life outside of war-torn Australia. All that is about to change. When they're asked to return to Wirrawee with a team of New Zealand soldiers to undertake guerilla attacks, they reluctantly agree. But when the New Zealand soldiers disappear without a trace, the teenagers must once again fend for themselves, and decide once again whether to hide out or fight for their country.

Thoughts: This is the book where the emotional
Sally
Oh man am I glad I went right into this after The Third Day, the Frost! I think I can stand to wait a little before moving onto the next book now, but not too long because WHOA.

(view spoiler)
Amanda
Ryan  Buckby
The fourth book in the tomorrow series picks up after the events of book 3.Five months into World War III, Ellie and her four remaining friends have barely escaped the Australian town of Wirrawee with their lives and their sanity intact. But as the next step becomes clear, they realize they must once again sacrifice their hard-won comfort and safety. A group of soldiers has recruited the kids to guide the way to the Wirrawee air base.

This book was the one that focused more on the psychological e
Tamarasoo
this is the 4th in a YA series about a group of Aussie teens who come back from a camping trip in the outback to find that their country has been invaded and everyone else in their community has been taken prisoner. by book 4 the story is getting a little formulaic--the kids have been through hell, they attempt another act of sabotage against the enemy. but i have to keep reading all 7 to find out what finally happens in the end.
Sorry, but no.

1. The author lost me right on page 1. Because you want me to believe the New Zealand Army needs five kids to help them win a war?

2. I ride horses. And what they did in the book is not possible. You need a) horses that are really really really well-trained in being steered bridle-less. Or without reigns. And nobody can just sit a horse in full gallop without a saddle. Not if you aren't an excellent rider. Plus, it hurts if you do it wrong. And to do this all in the dark of night?
Kandi
This story felt the slowest of the all so far, however I'm still loving the series. It was interesting to hear about how damaged they all were after their time in the prison camps. I don't think any of them realized how traumatized they actually were. They just kept living each day, never know when it would be their last. I'm really curious to see how the next book goes as they are now stuck back in the thick of the war.
Rachel McCarthy
Although I loved this book, it was rather slow compared to the previous books, and I must confess I found myself guilty of skimming some chapters.
I liked the ending, but it was a bit obvious from the very beginning and I wasn't surprised or shocked at all. This is one of those books that you would read on rainy day as it only takes a couple hours to complete and its got a lot of heavy monologue and less action that usual.
Brooke
I just love this series. This installment is not as heart-wrenching as the previous, but still has it's rough and depressing moments. It does follow the same formula where the climax is the kids attacking the enemy in some way. For some reason, I don't tire of this plot line though. I think it's because of the realistic characters. Can't wait to read #5!
Odette
Very nice, not only from an action point of view, but also psychologically. This isn't about the fighting so much as what it does to a person's mind. Also, wow. I'm not sure I like the New Zealand people so much.
Francesco
"Darkness, be my friend" by Marsden, J.

Vote: 2,75
Class: L-B1 (FP)

(fourth book of the Tomorrow Series)

I wasn't very impressed by the first three books, because I found them too unrealistic even if the story did grow to catch me at a point; this one is not only unbelievable, but actually preposterous: the Army asks to a bunch of kid to go behind the enemy lines and play guerrilla!?! Sorry, but I can't buy that, it seems to much an excuse to sell some books without putting to much an effort...
Howev
Sara
I didn't enjoy this one as much as the previous three. It's more melancholy and there's less action to move the plot along. It's a nice stepping stone to the next one, though.
Lyrica
Realistisch, spannend, aufwühlend

Cover:
Ich mag das Cover sehr gerne, weil es trotz der vielen dunklen Schattierungen ein typisch australisches Motiv zeigt: eine schnurgerade sandige Straße, die bis zum Horizont führt. Auch die Farben gefallen mir hier sehr gut. Den Titel finde ich perfekt, da viele der Handlungen in der Nacht spielen.

Meinung:
Gegen Ende des dritten Bandes ist die Gruppe nach Neuseeland gekommen und befindet sich nun in der Obhut des neuseeländischen Militärs. Lange können sie d
TMEB
The book Darkness be My Friend is the 4th book in the Tomorrow series by John Marsden. I really like this series, but this particular book fell a little short for me. Not only was the beginning of the book slow and hard to get through, but when the action finally started to pick up the it was to late in the book for anything to really happen. While I did enjoy the writing style and the characters moral issues just as much as I had in previous books, I felt the plot could have been a lot better. ...more
Mersina Stark is a Bookwhoreasaurus
This installment did not have the same edge the previous 2 had.
Alma

I have this little aversion to buying more than one book in a series at a time. What if I end up with, for example, books two, three and four, but I don’t like one of them? Chances are I’ll dislike the next one just as much. Well, I bought books three and four in the Tomorrow series shortly after I finished the second book and I had such high hopes of loving both of them just as much as I loved the first two. I was so disappointed with book three, The Third Day, The Frost, and I didn’t feel like
Kat
As with all the Tomorrow books, there is a small gap between book three and book four, but as always, this is only a small break. Enough to take a breath, remember the previous book, and jump right back in to the story.

Darkness, Be My Friend, finds the teens safe and comfortable for the first time since discovering their country had been invaded. And with that long-awaiting feeling of safety, all their emotions and reactions come spilling out. As the series is told in Ellie's perspective, much o
Noella
The 4th book in the tomorrow series, we continue the journey of Ellie and her friends and we see them deal with the violence and pain produced by the war. They continue to be in danger without the guidance of adults and it is an immersive and heart pounding adventure.

In this book I felt that the main character Ellie did so much recount of the past (before the war) for at least a quarter of the book. I felt she got angry really quickly and had strange mood swings which is understandable in her ci
Nairabell
Five months after their rescue, Ellie and her friends have been recuperating in New Zealand and trying to deal with the loss of their friend Robyn. Now their rescuers need their help - the New Zealand troops want to go behind enemy lines...and they need local guides. Soon the teenagers are back in Hell, but when something goes wrong the mission becomes fraught with tension and the inevitable question - will they ever escape Wirrawee again.

This is the fourth book in the Tomorrow series (after To
P.Sannie
Tyler Suzuki Nelson
So, I've been slacking off on these book reviews. It's been a while, so I'm just going to combine my book reviews for A Killing Frost, Darkness, Be My Friend, and Burning For Revenge.

A Killing Frost is thus far my favourite book in the series. From what I can remember, I was kept in a suspenseful state the whole time I was reading the novel. That being said, it also made me cry at one point because of something that happened. I read a spoiler at one point, and expected something to happen. It di
Dana
Spoilers in this review. This was the first book from the series I hadn't read, I had previously read 1-3. I was really disappointed. Before this book I really felt like everything that happened could possibly happen because of the chaos of war. But I don't believe an army would send 5 teenagers back into a country where they had been previously arrested and sentenced to death & 20-35 years in prison. Sorry, I don't buy it. What help could they really be? They were sent back with 12 professi ...more
Lucille
Ellie, Homer, Lee, Kevin and Fiona have been through a lot, to say the least. They are safe for now in New Zealand, but they are all still reeling from their time in prison and the death of Robyn. But they are starting to get back into the rhythm of normal life. They are heroes of the war ad are given everything that they ask for. But nothing comes without a price. Colonel Finley needs them to go back. Ellie resists at first, but the call of her family is too much for her, as well as her sense o ...more
Emily Ward
The fourth book in the Tomorrow series, Darkness Be My Friend centers around Ellie and her friends. The book starts off in New Zealand, where the protagonists have been for a few months. They're asked to go back to Wirrawee to help with a mission to attack the air field.

This series is gradually becoming slower in pace. I know some people don't like it - the first book is action packed, and by this one, there is a lot more retroflection and waiting for things to happen. But I think it's very rea
  • The Keeping Place (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #4)
  • Queen Kat, Carmel and St. Jude Get a Life
  • Looking for Alibrandi
  • A Rose for the ANZAC Boys
  • The Sky So Heavy
  • The Life and Times of Gracie Faltrain (Gracie Faltrain, #1)
  • Chasers (Alone, #1)
  • Unbelievable! (Uncollected)
  • Came Back To Show You I Could Fly
  • Boy Overboard
See also: John Marsden.

His first book, So Much To Tell You, was published in 1987. This was followed by Take My Word For It, a half-sequel written from the point of view of another character. His landmark Tomorrow series is recognized as the most popular book series for young adults ever written in Australia. The first book of this series, Tomorrow When The War Began, has been reprinted 26 times i
More about John Marsden...
Tomorrow, When the War Began (Tomorrow, #1) The Dead of Night (Tomorrow, #2) A Killing Frost (Tomorrow, #3) Burning For Revenge (Tomorrow, #5) The Night is For Hunting (Tomorrow, #6)

“But it was my parents I longed for mostly. I wanted to be a little girl again and cuddle into them, wriggling in between them like I'd done in their bed when I was three or four, snug and warm in the safest place in the world.

Instead I had Hell.”
21 likes
“It's good to keep changing your mind. It shows you're thinking. I'll only stop changing my mind when I'm dead. And maybe not even then.” 17 likes