The Great Gatenby

The Great Gatenby

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  206 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Maybe deep down every kid knows his parents want him to be the Pride of the School, the Captain of Cricket and Tennis and Rowing and Darts and Knitting and anything else that's going down.They don't want to know about the fact that you've had more detentions than any other new student in the history of the school, that you're going out with...more
Published July 1st 1991 by Pan Australia (first published December 31st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Gatenby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Gatenby

Jessica
Found on bookshelf in a hostel in Australia where pickings were Slim. Had to read til nearly the last page to confirm that yes, the title similarity to the much more famous book is totally intentional, if kind of random (a half-hearted marketing attempt?).

I always enjoy reading boarding school fiction, whatever decade. Semi-reminiscent of The Lawrenceville Stories in its schoolkid hijinx, but set in the '80s this time and with some teen sexual awakening. Especially fun to read a quick novel set...more
Davina
This was my first John Marsden book ever and I must have loved it because I couldn't get enough of his books afterwards. Funny thing is the only thing I can remeber about this book was them falling through a roof oh and the fact that when I got it off the shelves at the school library one of my male classmates told me I probably shouldn't borrow it as it wasn't really suitable for me.
The fact that, that is all I can remeber probably really isn't a recomendation for the book considering Letters...more
Kindred Spirit
I liked this book more than I expected to. John Marsden was my favourite author until I was about 15, so I've read a lot of his books - just not many of his ones with male protagonists. It took me a while to adjust to Erle's style of narration, but once I did I found it intriguing and I grew quite attached to Erle.

Which started to pose a problem later in the book. Like I said, I've read a lot of Marsden's books, so I know what happens! I know how happy endings sometimes allude the main character...more
Kerry
A great teenage boy story. Was teaching at a boys' school when I read this so there were plenty of character types like this around! Very funny and highly enjoyable.
Carrie
Re-read this last night, after first having read it about fifteen eyars ago. Still made me laugh. I think one of Marsden's finest examples of his work.
This is my favourite John Marsden book, most of his others are very serious but this is just silly and funny. It makes me laugh so much.
Shannon
Wasn't a very good book. I was disappointed.
Shaz
Shaz marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Clancy Wall
Clancy Wall marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Tessa
Tessa added it
Jul 27, 2014
Simone
Simone marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Skye-ann Richards
Skye-ann Richards marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Tessa Jane
Tessa Jane marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Emily Chandler
Emily Chandler marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Cynn
Cynn marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
See also: John Marsden.

His first book, So Much To Tell You, was published in 1987. This was followed by Take My Word For It, a half-sequel written from the point of view of another character. His landmark Tomorrow series is recognized as the most popular book series for young adults ever written in Australia. The first book of this series, Tomorrow When The War Began, has been reprinted 26 times i...more
More about John Marsden...
Tomorrow, When the War Began (Tomorrow, #1) The Dead of Night (Tomorrow, #2) A Killing Frost (Tomorrow, #3) Darkness, Be My Friend (Tomorrow, # 4) Burning For Revenge (Tomorrow, #5)