Start by marking “The Great Gatenby” as Want to Read:

The Great Gatenby

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  244 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
"Australia's king of young adult fiction" The Australian

"A very funny, very Australian book" West Australian

Maybe deep down every kid knows his parents want him to be the Pride of the School, the Captain of Cricket and Tennis and Rowing and Darts and Knitting and anything else that's going down.

They don't want to know about the fact that you've had more detentions than any
Published July 1st 1991 by Pan Australia (first published December 31st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Gatenby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Gatenby

Jessica
Found on bookshelf in a hostel in Australia where pickings were Slim. Had to read til nearly the last page to confirm that yes, the title similarity to the much more famous book is totally intentional, if kind of random (a half-hearted marketing attempt?).

I always enjoy reading boarding school fiction, whatever decade. Semi-reminiscent of The Lawrenceville Stories in its schoolkid hijinx, but set in the '80s this time and with some teen sexual awakening. Especially fun to read a quick novel set
Davina
This was my first John Marsden book ever and I must have loved it because I couldn't get enough of his books afterwards. Funny thing is the only thing I can remeber about this book was them falling through a roof oh and the fact that when I got it off the shelves at the school library one of my male classmates told me I probably shouldn't borrow it as it wasn't really suitable for me.
The fact that, that is all I can remeber probably really isn't a recomendation for the book considering Letters
Kindred Spirit
Feb 27, 2012 Kindred Spirit rated it liked it
I liked this book more than I expected to. John Marsden was my favourite author until I was about 15, so I've read a lot of his books - just not many of his ones with male protagonists. It took me a while to adjust to Erle's style of narration, but once I did I found it intriguing and I grew quite attached to Erle.

Which started to pose a problem later in the book. Like I said, I've read a lot of Marsden's books, so I know what happens! I know how happy endings sometimes allude the main character
Miffy
Nov 01, 2014 Miffy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can clearly remember reading this book and thinking it was funny. There's a scene with a window (I think) where I laughed out loud. But other than the fact that it is set in a school boarding house, and the main character's name is Gatenby, I recall nothing else. Getting old.
Catherine
This is one of the books in the school's literature circle collection. Pretty dated now, especially the language used and references the main character makes. Slightly humorous, light on plot, a fairly detailed first sexual encounter.
Rosemary Reilly
So I reread this, remembering how much I liked it when I was about 12/13/14 years old. Sadly I was kind of underwhelmed, I had better memories of it. But perspective, age, blah blah blah. In summary; it's like a less complex, slightly younger/less serious, Australian Looking For Alaska.
Kerry
Oct 10, 2013 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great teenage boy story. Was teaching at a boys' school when I read this so there were plenty of character types like this around! Very funny and highly enjoyable.
Carrie
Oct 18, 2012 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read this last night, after first having read it about fifteen eyars ago. Still made me laugh. I think one of Marsden's finest examples of his work.
Nov 19, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favourite John Marsden book, most of his others are very serious but this is just silly and funny. It makes me laugh so much.
Shannon
Apr 23, 2012 Shannon rated it it was ok
Wasn't a very good book. I was disappointed.
Kezia
Jul 28, 2008 Kezia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
fantastic book.
Amanda
Amanda added it
Aug 21, 2016
Scarloot
Scarloot rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2016
E
E added it
Aug 02, 2016
Belinda
Belinda marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Hero
Hero marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Shell
Shell marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2016
Cassie
Cassie added it
Mar 22, 2016
Jules
Jules added it
Mar 03, 2016
Julia Gilchrist
Julia Gilchrist rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2016
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2016
  • Wavelength
  • Intruder
  • My Happy Life
  • Thai-Riffic!
  • Violet Mackerel's Natural Habitat (Violet Mackerel, #3)
  • Maudie and Bear
  • Meet Grace (Our Australian Girl - Grace, #1)
  • Cartboy and the Time Capsule
  • Edwardo the Horriblest Boy in the Whole Wide World
  • Hazel Green
  • Pretty Girl
See also: John Marsden.

His first book, So Much To Tell You, was published in 1987. This was followed by Take My Word For It, a half-sequel written from the point of view of another character. His landmark Tomorrow series is recognized as the most popular book series for young adults ever written in Australia. The first book of this series, Tomorrow When The War Began, has been reprinted 26 times i
More about John Marsden...