Start by marking “Wicked Fix (Home Repair is Homicide, #3)” as Want to Read:
Wicked Fix (Home Repair is Homicide, #3)

Wicked Fix (Home Repair is Homicide #3)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  1,086 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Do-it-yourself killer fixes small-town thug...

For ex-Wall Streeter Jacobia Tiptree and her teenaged son, Sam, September promises tranquil days winter-proofing their rambling handyman's special of a home in Eastport, Maine. But there's nothing idyllic about this Down East autumn. For starters, the return of truly vicious native son Reuben Tate stirs up the town. And when so
Published (first published April 4th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Wicked Fix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wicked Fix

I enjoyed this mystery. There were plenty of details, a couple of red herrings, and lots of suspense. I don't really get the connection to home repair other than the main character was fixing up her old Maine house. I liked the ending, but it left me wondering about the secondary story because that one was not ended. I haven't read any other books in the series so I don't know if the secondary story turns up anywhere else. It may. The nice thing was that I really didn't know who was guilty until ...more
Love this series. Well thought-out, well crafted and well-written mysteries.

Yes, Jake (Jacobia Tiptree), and her best friend and partner in crime, Ellie White, do stick their nose into the murders that occur in the small town in Maine where they reside. (Remind you of Murder She Wrote for this particular detail? – Trust me; this series is better.) Jake is a recent transplant to the town, with her teen-age son, Sam, while Ellie is a native and her family has a long history in the town.

These are
Wicked Fix is the third book of the Home Repair is Homicide mystery series by Sarah Graves, set in modern time on the easternmost point of the US: Eastport Maine.

Jacobia "Jake" Tiptree used to be a financial wizard on Wall Street, married to brain surgeon Victor. After they divorced, she happened to stop in Eastport while on a business trip, and fell in love with the small town environment, so different from Manhattan. She purchased an historic old house complete with ghost, that takes all her
I've had this book for several years, never read it until now. I started it 1/3, read about 25 pages, and threw it down, intending not to finish it. Then I decided I would try again. Maybe I'll read the whole thing, but I don't much like it.
* * * * *
Well, I should have gone with my first impression. Who gives their protagonist a name like "Jacobia," then has people call her "Jake" from time to time, with no explanation? I didn't like the characters, the crimes were stupid, as were the scenarios
I really had a problem with this story line and the way Jacobia and Ellie were going around asking questions and butting into everyone else's business. I just found it hard to believe that anyone would have talked to them at all and just didn't tell them to go away and mind their own business. Then they seemed to be surprised that someone may try to hurt or kill them because of them getting too close to the truth. Just didn't care for this one.
Single mom Jacobia Triptree has her hands full, raising a teenage son, dealing with an ex-husband, and performing some much needed home repair on her very old house. But soon life becomes even more complex as town thug Reuben is murdered and Jacobia’s ex husband is arrested. While Jacobia has no love lost for her ex, he is the father of her child and she intuitively knows that despite the evidence, her ex is not a murderer.

Through the locals, Jacobia starts learning the vile and vengeful histor
I like this murder mystery series so far. Not only is the main character a very interesting woman who is restoring an old Cape Cod house in a small town in downeast Maine, she has a very wry sense of humor, and all the characters are interesting and likable. It makes for a fun read with usually a surprising twist at the end. And you can learn a lot of home repair tips, too!
Jan C
Feb 05, 2009 Jan C rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Rehabbers
Shelves: mystery
I enjoy this series. It's kind "This Old House" meets "Miss Marple" except she's not as old as Miss Marple. Jake had a successful career as a money manage in New York City and has brought her son Sam to live the good life in Maine where she is rehabbing a house that may or may not be haunted. Unfortunately, her ex has followed her to Maine but it looks like she may be helping him set up a much-needed trauma center.

In this one, the bad boy has returned to town and all his old mates are dreading w
I like this series but I am SO!!!! tired of her ex-husband. Cut the ties already. It makes no sense how this character allows her ex-husband to continue to dominate her life. And he isn't even an interesting character.

If this doesn't scale back, I will have to stop reading this series. Which is unfortunate because, other than that, I enjoy it.
Jacobia lives in "down east" Maine (across from Campobello Island, NB) in a small fishing/tourist town. Her ex-husband has settled there as well and they are trying to live harmoniously while she fixes up her historic home.

However, Victor (her ex) has been charged with the murder of the town's local bully and Jacobia and friends try to solve the case and prove Victor's innocence.

I liked the descriptions of the town and the surrounding area. It made rural Maine and NB sound so quaint and, if I d
This book was very difficult to put down. Jacobia and her best friend Ellie are now referred to by the townspeople as the Snoop Sisters. But they must be more careful, and the townspeople have got to start remembering to lock their doors.
Im enjoying this series of books, nothing like murder mysteries to curl up with on the couch.
A great mystery! i'm going on to the first book in the series now.
Third entry into the series - and it was a solid, if slightly predictable, read. I already ordered the 4th book, so expect to work my way through over the next year or two. Nothing wrong with solid and slightly predictable. Hard to imagine how she continues to write of endless murders in a small town. You'd think Dateline or 20/20 would be all over what appears to be the murder capital of the United States. But looks like she's moving into a little bit of spiritual mystery in the next book.
Being limited to audiobooks has it's share of negatives, the copy I heard had heavy damage to the disks so I couldn't enjoy it as thoroughly as I had hoped to. I like the heavy "down-east" Maine accents the reader uses, the local color really adds to the story. Jacobia Tiptree is inspiring by her patience, tolerance and considerate way of dealing with people. I admire her social skills and her growth in mechanical skills as she continues to effect substantial repair work on her very old house.
Terrific mystery series with great home fix-it tips! Whenever I read one of these, I think I should get started on some home repairs. The plot, which basically deals with bullying and its effects, is handled very well. Unltimately, the victim became the bully. Life in a small coastal Maine town still has its dark side. The characters are consistent and believable. Most of the strings are tied up in the end, but still, some aspects are left unanswered.
Michelle Hanson
Just love this series.. want to read them all..
I really enjoy this series. The protagonist, Jacobia (Jake) Tiptree is really coming into her own in this book. I also appreciate the dimension given to the characters that make up Jake's friends and family.

The plot on this one kept me guessing, and I did guess incorrectly once (or twice ;-)) but I enjoy that in a mystery novel.

Overall a very enjoyable read.
Ex-New Yorker and financial advisor Jacobia Tiptree has relocated to Eastport, Maine. While trying to help establish her ex-husband's new trauma clinic, she, her son Sam and friend Ellie become caught up in the murder of a local ne'er-do-well.

Not a bad book but I had a hard time getting "involved" with the characters enough to really like the story.
I love this series of books about an ex-big-time-new-york-money-manager who has moved to small town Maine. She and her true blue friends work together to solve the town's murder mysteries while fixing up her historic house. Easy, pleasant, and relaxing reads. Great for anyone who loves Maine or has ever renovated a house!
This series is possibly going over to the "don't read anymore" list. Jacobia is an amateur sleuth, but by this title, only the 3rd in the series, she is someone the local police and other people in town turn to to solve murders. Why? I may try one more down the road, but I just don't care that much.
I really enjoyed this book. It was an audio version and kept me entertained on a long trip. I was tempted to take another spin around the block but I was in the mountains of PA and never knew where I would end up!
I did enjoy this book very much and will continue on the trips with Jacobia Tiptree!
Too much Victor, which is sort of impressive actually because the character doesn't actually physically appear in much of the book, and yet his character is pervasive throughout the entire thing. Other than that it was another great romp in Eastport from Ellie and Jacobia.
Maria Kiguthi
I listened to this book while working. It was easy to follow so that if I wasn't paying attention all the time I still knew what was going on. I enjoy these cozy mysteries and would recommend this to someone who like the genre.
Thought I would enjoy this, having enjoyed "Dead cat bounce", the first book in this series, but it wasn't nearly engaging. The third book in the series went back to the library without me bothering to crack open the cover.
Still find too much natural description of Eastport, and too much technical home repair for my taste, but enjoy the characters and the plot is good. My daughter gave me the whole series so in between other books, I read these.
I enjoyed this book. I guess after reading 3 of hers, they are growing on me. This was a great mystery where you never really could pin down any certain suspect because there were so many great ones. Suspense till the end.
K. East
The third in the series, it was not my favorite. I do enjoy the personalities and I will continue to read the series as long as the "people" prove interesting -- and the mysteries aren't as tedious as this one.
The Snoop Sisters are at it again. Third book in the series but second book of the series that I have read. Nice escape reading, but too formulaic for me. Too many other books I'd rather be reading.
Michael Craven
It is okay, I guess. It is a bit too precious, and despite some interesting side characters, I can't get over the fact that the main character is really boring.
  • Spackled and Spooked (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #2)
  • Murder Gets A Life (Southern Sisters Mystery, #5)
  • Bound for Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #3)
  • Creeps Suzette (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #15)
  • Mercy Kill (Mercy Gunderson Mystery, #2)
  • Heard It Through the Grapevine
  • Third Strike (Brady Coyne, #26)(Brady Coyne/J.W. Jackson #3)
  • God in Concord (Homer Kelly, #9)
  • Marco Polo, If You Can
  • A Wicked Slice (Lee Ofsted, #1)
  • Home for the Haunting (A Haunted Home Renovation Mystery, #4)
  • Sugar and Spite (Savannah Reid, #5)
  • Shadows of a Down East Summer (Antique Print, #5)
Sarah Graves lives with her husband John, a musician and luthier, and their black Labrador Retriever in a house very much like the one Jacobia Tiptree is remodeling in Eastport, Maine. When she's not writing Jake's adventures, Sarah works with her husband on the house and she plays the 5-string banjo.

* Home Repair is Homicide
More about Sarah Graves...

Home Repair is Homicide (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Dead Cat Bounce (Home Repair is Homicide, #1)
  • Triple Witch (Home Repair is Homicide, #2)
  • Repair to Her Grave (Home Repair is Homicide, #4)
  • Wreck the Halls (Home Repair is Homicide, #5)
  • Unhinged (Home Repair is Homicide, #6)
  • Mallets Aforethought (Home Repair is Homicide, #7)
  • Tool and Die (Home Repair is Homicide, #8)
  • Nail Biter (Home Repair is Homicide, #9)
  • Trap Door (Home Repair is Homicide, #10)
  • The Book of Old Houses (Home Repair is Homicide, #11)
The Dead Cat Bounce (Home Repair is Homicide, #1) Triple Witch (Home Repair is Homicide, #2) Wreck the Halls (Home Repair is Homicide, #5) Unhinged (Home Repair is Homicide, #6) Repair to Her Grave (Home Repair is Homicide, #4)