Start by marking “Wicked Fix (Home Repair is Homicide, #3)” as Want to Read:
Wicked Fix (Home Repair is Homicide, #3)

Wicked Fix (Home Repair is Homicide #3)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,240 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
Do-it-yourself killer fixes small-town thug...

For ex-Wall Streeter Jacobia Tiptree and her teenaged son, Sam, September promises tranquil days winter-proofing their rambling handyman's special of a home in Eastport, Maine. But there's nothing idyllic about this Down East autumn. For starters, the return of truly vicious native son Reuben Tate stirs up the town. And when so
Published (first published April 4th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Wicked Fix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wicked Fix

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

I'm not sure why I couldn't get into this one more - the mystery was intricate enough, the suspects led the main on a merry enough chase through the town interviewing....but there seemed to some sense of lack of urgency. I didn't want the innocent guy to stay in jail and be sentenced to prison, but beyond that I couldn't focus on emotions other than the logics of it. It doesn't help that there isn't any humor, relationship spark, and that most of the characters get along so well.

It's an already
Natalie
Mar 30, 2016 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
This book was given to me by my old boss, who knew of my love of books (and mysteries!!). It's been a while since I've read a good mystery and this one I thoroughly enjoyed; I might just have to read the other books in the series. I found the story to be quickly-paced and it doesn't spend a lot of time on unnecessary things. It gets straight to the point. One thing I really liked was Jacobia's determination and resolve. To be honest, I was a little iffy about this book when I was still on the fi ...more
Judy
Feb 18, 2014 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this mystery. There were plenty of details, a couple of red herrings, and lots of suspense. I don't really get the connection to home repair other than the main character was fixing up her old Maine house. I liked the ending, but it left me wondering about the secondary story because that one was not ended. I haven't read any other books in the series so I don't know if the secondary story turns up anywhere else. It may. The nice thing was that I really didn't know who was guilty until ...more
Linda C
Eastport, ME is preparing for its Salmon Festival and Jacobia Tiptree is busy weatherstripping and repairing 44 wood windows on her huge fixer-upper when the town's bad boy returns to cause more havoc and gets himself killed. Jacobia gets involved when her ex-husband is accused. He's a bad penny but not a killer. Jacobia and her friend Ellie start asking questions, digging into the past evil Reuben perpetrated and the long list of people he negatively effected, looking for the real killer. Well ...more
Barbara
Dec 18, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Love this series. Well thought-out, well crafted and well-written mysteries.

Yes, Jake (Jacobia Tiptree), and her best friend and partner in crime, Ellie White, do stick their nose into the murders that occur in the small town in Maine where they reside. (Remind you of Murder She Wrote for this particular detail? – Trust me; this series is better.) Jake is a recent transplant to the town, with her teen-age son, Sam, while Ellie is a native and her family has a long history in the town.

These are
Susan
Wicked Fix is the third book of the Home Repair is Homicide mystery series by Sarah Graves, set in modern time on the easternmost point of the US: Eastport Maine.

Jacobia "Jake" Tiptree used to be a financial wizard on Wall Street, married to brain surgeon Victor. After they divorced, she happened to stop in Eastport while on a business trip, and fell in love with the small town environment, so different from Manhattan. She purchased an historic old house complete with ghost, that takes all her
C-shaw
Jan 14, 2015 C-shaw rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book for several years, never read it until now. I started it 1/3, read about 25 pages, and threw it down, intending not to finish it. Then I decided I would try again. Maybe I'll read the whole thing, but I don't much like it.
* * * * *
Well, I should have gone with my first impression. Who gives their protagonist a name like "Jacobia," then has people call her "Jake" from time to time, with no explanation? I didn't like the characters, the crimes were stupid, as were the scenarios
Lisa
May 29, 2014 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really had a problem with this story line and the way Jacobia and Ellie were going around asking questions and butting into everyone else's business. I just found it hard to believe that anyone would have talked to them at all and just didn't tell them to go away and mind their own business. Then they seemed to be surprised that someone may try to hurt or kill them because of them getting too close to the truth. Just didn't care for this one.
Val
Dec 30, 2015 Val rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Jacobia Tiptree murder mystery. A truly vicious native son of Eastport, Maine has returned and is already making more enemies. When he is found hanging in a churchyard with his throat cut, Jacobia's ex-husband is suspect number one as it is his knife used for the nasty deed. So instead of a September work schedule of insulating her historic house, she has to spend her time proving her husband's innocence.
Sara
Oct 21, 2009 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Single mom Jacobia Triptree has her hands full, raising a teenage son, dealing with an ex-husband, and performing some much needed home repair on her very old house. But soon life becomes even more complex as town thug Reuben is murdered and Jacobia’s ex husband is arrested. While Jacobia has no love lost for her ex, he is the father of her child and she intuitively knows that despite the evidence, her ex is not a murderer.

Through the locals, Jacobia starts learning the vile and vengeful histor
Owlsinger
I'm enjoying the way Eastport has taken to Jacobia and her family, and the acceptance of the "Snoop Sisters" into the daily life of the town. Toning down Victor's attitudes must have been a major effort for the author; I imagine that it might be easier to write an almost-caricature of the obnoxious ex, but more satisfying to have him slowly come around to merely a pain in the butt.
Marie
Mar 07, 2014 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this murder mystery series so far. Not only is the main character a very interesting woman who is restoring an old Cape Cod house in a small town in downeast Maine, she has a very wry sense of humor, and all the characters are interesting and likable. It makes for a fun read with usually a surprising twist at the end. And you can learn a lot of home repair tips, too!
Jan C
Feb 05, 2009 Jan C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Rehabbers
Shelves: mystery
I enjoy this series. It's kind "This Old House" meets "Miss Marple" except she's not as old as Miss Marple. Jake had a successful career as a money manage in New York City and has brought her son Sam to live the good life in Maine where she is rehabbing a house that may or may not be haunted. Unfortunately, her ex has followed her to Maine but it looks like she may be helping him set up a much-needed trauma center.

In this one, the bad boy has returned to town and all his old mates are dreading w
Paulina
I like this series but I am SO!!!! tired of her ex-husband. Cut the ties already. It makes no sense how this character allows her ex-husband to continue to dominate her life. And he isn't even an interesting character.

If this doesn't scale back, I will have to stop reading this series. Which is unfortunate because, other than that, I enjoy it.
C
Nov 21, 2009 C rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Jacobia lives in "down east" Maine (across from Campobello Island, NB) in a small fishing/tourist town. Her ex-husband has settled there as well and they are trying to live harmoniously while she fixes up her historic home.

However, Victor (her ex) has been charged with the murder of the town's local bully and Jacobia and friends try to solve the case and prove Victor's innocence.

I liked the descriptions of the town and the surrounding area. It made rural Maine and NB sound so quaint and, if I d
Tim Fenelon
Apr 23, 2016 Tim Fenelon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books keep getting better. I have been listening to this on audio book and there are great to listen to. This one was a little more grim than the others but very good. I will continue the series for sure. Definitely look into these if you like good stories and good light mysteries.
Linda
Jun 14, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very difficult to put down. Jacobia and her best friend Ellie are now referred to by the townspeople as the Snoop Sisters. But they must be more careful, and the townspeople have got to start remembering to lock their doors.
Mike
Jun 06, 2016 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First book I have read by Sarah Graves. I wasn't real impressed, but since I had already ordered a couple more through paperbackswap.com, I'll see if they get better.
Joan
Apr 11, 2015 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Im enjoying this series of books, nothing like murder mysteries to curl up with on the couch.
Marjorie
May 18, 2014 Marjorie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great mystery! i'm going on to the first book in the series now.
Awwwtrouble
Third entry into the series - and it was a solid, if slightly predictable, read. I already ordered the 4th book, so expect to work my way through over the next year or two. Nothing wrong with solid and slightly predictable. Hard to imagine how she continues to write of endless murders in a small town. You'd think Dateline or 20/20 would be all over what appears to be the murder capital of the United States. But looks like she's moving into a little bit of spiritual mystery in the next book.
Winnie
Jan 30, 2010 Winnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murder-mystery
Being limited to audiobooks has it's share of negatives, the copy I heard had heavy damage to the disks so I couldn't enjoy it as thoroughly as I had hoped to. I like the heavy "down-east" Maine accents the reader uses, the local color really adds to the story. Jacobia Tiptree is inspiring by her patience, tolerance and considerate way of dealing with people. I admire her social skills and her growth in mechanical skills as she continues to effect substantial repair work on her very old house.
Marcia
Apr 29, 2013 Marcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terrific mystery series with great home fix-it tips! Whenever I read one of these, I think I should get started on some home repairs. The plot, which basically deals with bullying and its effects, is handled very well. Unltimately, the victim became the bully. Life in a small coastal Maine town still has its dark side. The characters are consistent and believable. Most of the strings are tied up in the end, but still, some aspects are left unanswered.
Michelle Hanson
Jan 27, 2014 Michelle Hanson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just love this series.. want to read them all..
Susan
I really enjoy this series. The protagonist, Jacobia (Jake) Tiptree is really coming into her own in this book. I also appreciate the dimension given to the characters that make up Jake's friends and family.

The plot on this one kept me guessing, and I did guess incorrectly once (or twice ;-)) but I enjoy that in a mystery novel.

Overall a very enjoyable read.
Margaret
Ex-New Yorker and financial advisor Jacobia Tiptree has relocated to Eastport, Maine. While trying to help establish her ex-husband's new trauma clinic, she, her son Sam and friend Ellie become caught up in the murder of a local ne'er-do-well.

Not a bad book but I had a hard time getting "involved" with the characters enough to really like the story.
Arlene Downey
Dec 23, 2015 Arlene Downey rated it it was amazing
Great mystery

The villain was hard to figure out! Great story, twists and turns, and a very hot ending! Victor may be decent after all!
Tracy
Sep 22, 2008 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
I love this series of books about an ex-big-time-new-york-money-manager who has moved to small town Maine. She and her true blue friends work together to solve the town's murder mysteries while fixing up her historic house. Easy, pleasant, and relaxing reads. Great for anyone who loves Maine or has ever renovated a house!
Patti
Apr 13, 2010 Patti rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2010
This series is possibly going over to the "don't read anymore" list. Jacobia is an amateur sleuth, but by this title, only the 3rd in the series, she is someone the local police and other people in town turn to to solve murders. Why? I may try one more down the road, but I just don't care that much.
Pat
Aug 24, 2012 Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was an audio version and kept me entertained on a long trip. I was tempted to take another spin around the block but I was in the mountains of PA and never knew where I would end up!
I did enjoy this book very much and will continue on the trips with Jacobia Tiptree!
Play Book Tag: Wicked Fix - Sarah Graves - 4 stars 1 7 Jul 11, 2016 06:21PM
  • Spackled and Spooked (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #2)
  • Tucker's Last Stand
  • A Fit of Tempera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #6)
  • Third Strike (Brady Coyne, #26)(Brady Coyne/J.W. Jackson #3)
  • The Captain
  • God in Concord (Homer Kelly, #9)
  • Murder Gets a Life (Southern Sisters, #5)
  • Murder On The House (Haunted Home Renovation Mystery, #3)
  • Heard It Through the Grapevine
  • A Wicked Slice (Lee Ofsted, #1)
  • Cat in a Yellow Spotlight (Midnight Louie #26)
  • Mercy Kill (Mercy Gunderson Mystery, #2)
  • Bound for Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #3)
Sarah Graves lives with her husband John, a musician and luthier, and their black Labrador Retriever in a house very much like the one Jacobia Tiptree is remodeling in Eastport, Maine. When she's not writing Jake's adventures, Sarah works with her husband on the house and she plays the 5-string banjo.

More about Sarah Graves...

Home Repair is Homicide (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Dead Cat Bounce (Home Repair is Homicide, #1)
  • Triple Witch (Home Repair is Homicide, #2)
  • Repair to Her Grave (Home Repair is Homicide, #4)
  • Wreck the Halls (Home Repair is Homicide, #5)
  • Unhinged (Home Repair is Homicide, #6)
  • Mallets Aforethought (Home Repair is Homicide, #7)
  • Tool and Die (Home Repair is Homicide, #8)
  • Nail Biter (Home Repair is Homicide, #9)
  • Trap Door (Home Repair is Homicide, #10)
  • The Book of Old Houses (Home Repair is Homicide, #11)