The New Sugar Busters! Cut Sugar to Trim Fat

The New Sugar Busters! Cut Sugar to Trim Fat

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  335 ratings  ·  49 reviews
When SUGAR BUSTERS! hit the shelves almost five years ago, it quickly became a diet and lifestyle phenomenon, soaring to the number one spot on the New York Times bestseller list and embraced by millions of people across the country. Those satisfied individuals on the SUGAR BUSTERS! plan discovered that by simply choosing the correct carbohydrates and lowering their sugar...more
Published December 24th 2002 by Random House Publishing Group (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The New Sugar Busters! Cut Sugar to Trim Fat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Sugar Busters! Cut Sugar to Trim Fat

Bookfanatic
An older book, I think this came out in 1995, about the connection between America's obesity crisis and the addition of refined sugar in our food. Written by three medical doctors, the book is sinple and straightforward. There are meals plans and some recipes at the end. There are more recent books like Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taube, which give greater insight into the disastrous effects of sugar in our diet, but SugarBusters is a good start.
Katherine
I thought the rationale behind this book made a lot of sense. I however did not follow through with the plan. This is a book I plan to re-read and maybe incorporate some of the principals within my diet. I do eat too many processed foods and sugars. Not good for my particular health needs. This book has been out a while. I do recommend it.
Jade
This is the book that compelled me to commit to cutting out added sugar from my diet. It's terrifying how much sugar the average American consumes, unknowingly, per year. In 2000, it was 158 pounds. This huge intake of sugar has a lot to do with why people are developing type II diabetes.
Linda
I read this book ten years ago and have remembered it's easy advice for cutting sugar to trim fat. My husband lost 80 lbs and I lost 20. We've kept it off by maintaining the sugar buster way of eating. I don't like to call it a diet, it's just the way we eat.
Mark
Celebrated finishing this book today by a serving of French toast with genuine maple syrup. But I do plan to (and already do) use it's better ideas. I suspect the authors are still too anti-fat in diet, but they make strides.
Aleksander
Nadaljevanje oz. nadgradnja Montignacovega koncepta glikemicnega indeksa. Iz lastnih izkusenj preverjeno in v kar absolutno verjamem. Zelo dobro razlozi kako zadeve "res" delujejo in pomece s stereotipi ki se jih na zalost oklepajo tradicinalni nutricionisti in je zakoreninjeno v naso miselnost in vsakdan.

Na nek nacin zelo preprosto in prav neverjetno kako se o tem govori ze kar nekaj casa (nekaj desetletij), vendar nikakor ne dobi bolj splosne veljave. Avtorji sami to razlagajo s tem, da Montin...more
Kristen MacGregor
I'll confess, I only read the Intro, first chapter, chapter 9 and peeked at the recipes. Had I realized what this book really was, I would have never borrowed it from the library! This book is a completely fallacy- any "diet" that tells you you can eat all the "steak, lamb chops, cheese, eggs and so on" but completely cut out potatoes, corn, beets & carrots is not going to be a healthy diet. Yes, eliminating your sugar intake does help- but that doesn't mean you can eat anything you want tha...more
Michael Hentrich
This book was written a little while ago, in 1995. Many of the topics in here about the damaging effects of sugar are becoming mainstream knowledge now, but I'm sure it was more novel at the time.

This book is a simple and quick read, basically focusing on the effects of sugar on the body and making a plan to eat foods that are void of or low in sugar as well as to avoid foods that are high on the glycemic index. The type is big, the margins wide, the pages small, and almost half of the book is t...more
Xondra Day
Rather restrictive and didn't tell me anything that I already knew about dieting and reduced portions. I was expecting something more enlightening I guess. We all know that too much sugar isn't good for you along with refined and processed foods. The diet read like a different version of Atkins.
Chrystal Mahan
I read this book years ago when it first came out. After being diagnosed with PCOS last year and realizing I have been suffering from it, along with the insulin resistance it brings, my docs and I knew I had to change my way of eating. I had been struggling for years to lose weight with no luck. Since going low carb I have finally been able to shed weight. I saw this book in a thrift shop for a $1 and decided to read it again. It's not my plan of eating , but there is a bit of useful information...more
BLACK CAT
Get rid of bread, pasta, pasties, sugar, ice cream and potatoes.
Fat is not the enemy carbs are.
Samantha
I listened to this in the car and found it very interesting. It gives a detailed explanation of how foods that raise your glucose levels (glycemic index) leave leftover glucose not used by the cells for energy, so it gets stored as fat. Having just taken college-level Molecular and Cell Biology last spring, I found it really intriguing. So I cut out most sugar and high glycemic index foods. Haven't lost any weight. So going to reduce fat intake as well - at least this way, I won't replace the fa...more
Jesse
One of my resolutions this year is to eat less sugar. I have a pretty bad sweet tooth that I need to control. I liked the overall message of the book but i really dragged at times and was tough to finish. It had a lot of parts that just didn't apply to me so it might be best if read as a reference book rather than a novel.
Abby
Oh, I just wanted to read a book about sugar and why not to eat it. On accident, this book turned out to be a diet book popular in New Orleans in the mid 90's. And lots of the nutritional information in it was wrong. Some parts were interesting. I even persevered to the final end.

But really, unless you have unlimited amounts of time to waste reading old diet books, there are so many more valuable, correct, and up to date books out there. Dumb library for letting me check this out. They wasted my...more
Ed
Oct 09, 2012 Ed rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a reasonable approach to dieting
A most interesting approach to dieting and maintenance. Like most diet books, though, the whole rationale and instructions could have been done in 20-30 pages. Instead we get Chapters on childhood obesity and other peripheral issues.

The least valuable part of the book was the 100 pages of recipes from famous restaurants.

I guess they have to bulk it up to make the cost appear fair.

It is a good diet, though. I've lost 23 pounds in 3 months.
Richard
Jan 30, 2009 Richard rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who hass tried and failed to live healthier
Recommended to Richard by: saw it on the library shelf
Good stuff here that makes a lot of sense. Deprivation diets won't work for me and won't work for most people. This book, for the most part, gives you a way around deprivation while also giving you a roadmap to a healthier lifestyle. Some sections contain a lot of medical terminology, but readers can skip those parts and still get the benefit of the book.
Angela Buckland
Hands down, one of my favorite books about healthy eating. I probably reference this book at least one a week to someone who is sincerely trying to eat better. This is such a great and easy place to start. No counting calories. Just simple, mindful eating of complex carbs, protein, and fat. This book was low-carb before low-carb was even in vogue!
Kristin
Some of the info is out of date, and the reader (I listened to the audiobook version) was way too dramatic. But, the overall message to get sugar out of your diet if your goal is optimal health is sound.
Kat
I finished this book in one sitting. I will admit I did not retain a lot of information because majority of it (the first part) was a health lesson on digestion, cardiovascular health, and diabetes. I did get a few pointers though. It taught me the foods to avoid (or restrict and that for weight loss sugar is the enemy not fats!
L
Informative yer reader friendly. Premise of book logical. Have ordered the updated book and am going to eat accordingly to manage blood sugar and cholesterol.

Note the authors stress you still must watch portion sizes and only eat lean meats. They reiterate this throughout the book and eating balance plates.
Andd Becker
Written by a CEO, a cardiovascular surgeon, an endocrinologist, and a gastroenterologist, the book has credible authorial expertise. Most useful are the lists of acceptable foods and foods to avoid.
Combine this book with wide reading on nutrition, and then assemble your own yes/no food lists.
Gerry Kelly
Best yet for really wanting to shed pounds without a lot of pain of starving.....One must follow the rules and you will lose....I lost 60lbs eating by the books...But when it tells don't eat something, then don't cause the program won't work then....and it is that simple.
Trudy
This is the 2nd time I have read this book. It has a lot of good info, I used it as a base for GI info to keep my sugars down, I maintained my no red meat eating, eating whole grains and the right vegetables and lost 5lbs the first week and felt great.
Kathleen
The best book I've read on why we should eat a healthy, balanced diet and what that consists of. And what they say about increased energy and weight loss is true. I am already feeling the benefit of cutting sugar out of my diet.
Kate
Trying to sort through this book for hypoglycemia was a mess. It's chapter listing foods by glycemic index was most helpful. The rest felt like a bit of filler with a few helpful suggestions here and there.
Janet Wilcox
I've had this book for over a year, but finally got serious about "my addiction!" I've actually starting living by its recommendations. I've read about 5 chapters so far and it makes a lot of sense.
Grace
I was able to loose 30 pounds after reading this book. It helped me to understand the power of sugar and to have the willpower to do something about it. I have only gained small amount of it back.
Amanda
Discusses the affects of sugar on the body. Helps provide a plan to reduce sugar from the diet. Can be read for people who are using it as a "get healthy" tool, or with systemic candidiasis.
Jessietaylortanner
Eh. Very elementary. Maybe a good read for someone who wants a basic overview or has only a basic interest in the subject. However, I still agree with the subject matter.
Gina
Jul 31, 2011 Gina added it
Flags: p. 13, 18, 24, 26, 29, 44, 62, 80, 82, 84, 86, 89, 92-97, 159, 176, 180, 194, 225, 233, 253, 274, 295, 306, 329, 331, 350

Up to pg. 101
  • The Metabolic Typing Diet: Customize Your Diet To: Free Yourself from Food Cravings: Achieve Your Ideal Weight; Enjoy High Energy and Robust Health; Prevent and Reverse Disease
  • Atkins for Life: The Complete Controlled Carb Program for Permanent Weight Loss and Good Health
  • The Zone: A Dietary Road Map to Lose Weight Permanently
  • The Insulin-Resistance Diet
  • The Coconut Oil Miracle
  • Organic, Inc.: Natural Foods and How They Grew
  • Sugar Blues
  • The South Beach Diet
  • If I Love You, Am I Trapped Forever?
  • Healing and the Mind
  • Juice Fasting and Detoxification: Use the Healing Power of Fresh Juice to Feel Young and Look Great
  • Sciencia: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Astronomy for All
  • Fit for Life
  • The Sunfood Diet Success System
  • The World's Healthiest Foods: Essential Guide for the Healthiest Way of Eating
  • Depression: A Stubborn Darkness--Light for the Path
  • Natural Health, Natural Medicine
  • Einstein's Clocks, Poincaré's Maps: Empires of Time
Sugar Busters! Quick & Easy Cookbook The New Sugar Busters! Shopper's Guide Fire, Ice, and Paradise Fire, Ice and Paradise Sugar Busters for Kids