Start by marking “Getting Organized” as Want to Read:
Getting Organized

Getting Organized

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  66 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A handy guide that has been helping people manage their daily lives since 1978 is revised and updated to apply the principles of organization to today's lifestyles.
Published May 30th 2009 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Organized, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Organized

Magda
Jul 21, 2008 Magda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, own
The first time I read this, over 10 years ago, I was convinced that if I only followed these rules (which seemed unattainable), I would "get organized."

Now that I am approaching actually being organized, most of this book is ridiculous. Nobody needs to alphabetize *everything* if another way of organizing would be better for that person. The only things I liked out of this book were the master-list/daily-list idea and a breakdown of cleaning tasks (daily, twice a week, weekly, and longer-term) .
R
Sep 09, 2008 R rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to organize their life
Recommended to R by: co-worker
I didn't finish this but what I did I found helpful. I loved the section on creating to-do lists for work and setting priorities. I am more organized now when it comes to deadlines. I borrowed it from the library and I am going to take it out again soon so I can finish.
Anna
Oct 24, 2015 Anna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Have the first edition from 1987 that I think was someone else's copy.
Natalie
Financial section is well-spelled out.
Penny
Feb 02, 2013 Penny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As a professional organizer, I found a lot of the suggestions in this book far more complicated than necessary, and apt to make someone who is struggling with organizational challenges even more put off to doing anything about them. In addition, the technology section is woefully out of date - who uses PDAs any more? Nelson tries to cover way too much information in this book, including everything from a very complicated system of balancing your checkbook to finding good child care. It's overwhe ...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Browsing through this book is a bit exhausting and depressing. Let's just say I have far to go before meeting the standards of this book of an organized life. But then if that were not the case, what would I need the book for? (Apparently the only area of my life where I have it together is, ironically, books.) There are sections on managing time, money and space. Very useful. I'm sure. Someday I'm going to have to manage my time better and use it.
Frangipani
Apr 16, 2007 Frangipani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Winston has finally updated her household organization classic for the 21st century. Some great concepts and ideas in this book, it can really get your house and life in order. But bear in mind that the author has no idea what it's like living with children so some bits in the book made me snort with laughter, LOL.
Kaethe
Jul 08, 2014 Kaethe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: domesticity
Reading books about getting organized is so much more fun than actually, you know, organizing.
Reuel
Mar 01, 2008 Reuel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm already pretty organized, but it's always good to add a few extra tips.
Heather
Jan 08, 2008 Heather marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by Sarah Kirkish (SWE).
 ♥ Rainy Day Reader ♥
Re-reading for the 4th time.
NauniConQueso
NauniConQueso is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2016
myron rodrigues
myron rodrigues marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Gege
Gege marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Nicole
Nicole is currently reading it
Jun 03, 2016
Skyler Drennan
Skyler Drennan marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Chandler Stone
Chandler Stone marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Alia
Alia marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Eman Elwaily
Eman Elwaily rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Elizabeth Hills
Elizabeth Hills marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Ofer Ozery
Ofer Ozery marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Emilie
Emilie marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Fran
Fran added it
Mar 15, 2016
Adam Stearns
Adam Stearns is currently reading it
Mar 15, 2016
Mary Lou
Mary Lou rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2016
Ariana Mendoza
Ariana Mendoza marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Organize Yourself!
  • The Messies Manual: The Procrastinator's Guide to Good Housekeeping
  • Organizing Plain & Simple: A Ready Reference Guide with Hundreds of Solutions to Your Everyday Clutter Challenges
  • Organizing for the Creative Person: Right-Brain Styles for Conquering Clutter, Mastering Time, and Reaching Your Goals
  • Organizing Your Craft Space
  • Eliminate Chaos: The 10-Step Process to Organize Your Home and Life
  • Talking Dirty with the Queen of Clean
  • The 60 Second Organizer
  • Organizing for Your Brain Type: Finding Your Own Solution to Managing Time, Paper, and Stuff
  • Confessions of an Organized Homemaker: The Secrets of Uncluttering Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life
  • Conquering Chronic Disorganization
  • All In Good Time: When to Save, Stock Up, and Schedule Everything for Your Home
  • Roget's College Thesaurus in Dictionary Form, The New American: Revised and Enlarged Edition
  • Getting Organized in the Google Era: How to Get Stuff out of Your Head, Find It When You Need It, and Get It Done Right
  • The Complete Book of Food Counts