Start by marking “Speedbumps” as Want to Read:
Speedbumps

Speedbumps

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  228 ratings  ·  45 reviews
In this laugh-out-loud funny and inspiring autobiography, one ofHollywood's best-loved comediennes muses about movies, men, motherhood, and MS In a book that is at once Hollywood hilarious and personally moving, Teri Garr, star of such classic films as Young Frankenstein, Oh God , Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Mr. Mom, and Tootsie, for which she received an Academy A ...more
Published October 31st 2006 by Plume Books (first published November 3rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Speedbumps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speedbumps

Jan C
Thoroughly enjoyable. Very funny at times. Also a bit on the sad side. For about the first half of the book she talks growing up in kind of a gypsy way, always traveling from here to there - her parents were old vaudevillians. And I think her mother kind of ran a rooming house in Hollywood area, where other old vaudevillians came to stay. Her mother had been a dancer and Teri started her early career that way. She talks about her movies. Other reviewers have noted that she doesn’t go into that m ...more
Julie
I really enjoyed this book. I first read it after I was diagnosed with MS. The first part was ok but for me it was very personal when further into the book she discusses her MS. I could relate all to well. I recomend this book for anyone who is or knows someone diagnosed with MS. Her insight is dead on.
Francine
This is a nice gentle introduction to MS. If you have a friend or familiy member who is diagnosed with MS, this will help you grasp part of what they are dealing with.
Chris
I didn't know much about Teri Garr, except that she was in Tootsie, and played Phoebe's mother on Friends. It turns out she started out as a dancer, and was a back-up dancer in 7 or 8 Elvis movies. I didn't realize she was nominated for an Oscar for best supporting actress in Tootsie, which ultimately went to her cast mate, Jessica Lange. And then she devotes quite a bit of the book to her 20 year struggle to find out that she has MS. I didn't know that the disease goes into remission, which is ...more
Kim-Lost-In-A-Book
Really great memoir. I love Ms. Garr's maturity and humility in addition to her awesome sense of humor. She has a certain quality that seems to be lacking in many celebrities today, is it that maturity or humility? I don't know. I just know that I like hearing the stories of Elvis and the Beatles and the Bush Sr's without her trash talking them even if she does disagree with things. It's the type of memoir I like to read - it tells me about the person, not the actor/actress and all their rubbing ...more
Jeannine
Laugh out loud funny, just like some of the characters Garr plays on the big screen. Most of the book is typical Hollywood autobiographical fare, with the exception of Garr's challenges with MS (including the twenty years she spent trying to find a diagnosis for her symptoms). An easy read that left me with a bad taste in my mouth for the way Hollywood treats people with illness/disability. It was unsettling to learn that people like Garr often have to actively hide their symptoms for fear of no ...more
Voss
Che commento vuoi fare ad una autobiografia?
Adoro la donna, per questo volevo sapere tutto di lei.
Coraggio determinazione ironia forza.
Le auguro tutto il bene di questo mondo perché lo merita.
Mary
Teri teases us with her name drops. I met the beatles. And then what?
I went to Elvis' house and had a coke. And then what? She teases us with her name dropping and then doesn't elaborate on any actual stories of the event.
She finishes many sentences with her trademark silly sarcasm; which is fine, but after awhile it gets redundant. Finally in the last few chapters Teri explains how she is living with MS and you get a sense of who she is and wished she would have opened up more about her earlie
Lauren
I love Teri! I was surprised by how involved she is in Hollywood. She tells her MS story in a light and funny way
Marla
I got this because it was $1.99 and I've liked Teri Garr in a couple of things. After reading Steve Martin's biography and this one, I think I'm done reading the biography of celebrities. Or at least I'll be a lot more particular about who I think may have a life worth reading a whole book about. Both were barely more than a list of jobs on their way to success. The ending of "Speedbumps" was a little more inspiring as Teri talks about important lessons she's learned/is learning as she deals wit ...more
Malorie Shannon
I just finished Teri Garr's Autobiography "Speed Bumps". It was a great book. Funny, insightful and inspirational. I enjoyed reading about her many adventures working in Hollywood, the people she met who affected her life, behind the scenes bits of movies that I have enjoyed and even more so her personal battle with MS. As I myself have MS, I could relate and found a kindred spirit (as it were) in some of her trials and tribulations in dealing with the disease. Overall and in general it was a wo ...more
Chelsea
This was a light and refreshing read. It was fun to learn that Teri Garr was a dancer early in her career and even danced in Elvis movies. She even met the Beatles and I wish I got to do that in my lifetime! (The greatest band of all time!!) She has a great outlook on life but not so good in the relationship department. She adopts a daughter and when she is finally diagnosed with MS, she learns to slow down and do what she can. She is funny and I think anyone would enjoy her outlook on life.
Daniel Currie
I listened to the 6CD unabridged version of this book.

I have always liked Teri Garr and thought this might be an interesting listen. Her early life and career are somewhat interesting. Her Elvis and Beatles connections are interesting. But mostly this is filled with not particularly revealing anecdotes and personal stories, which are... interesting, but hardly riveting. There is nothing necessarily wrong with that, but that does not make this a must read/listen.
Liz
Dec 04, 2008 Liz rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Liz by: Rick
Rick has always considered Teri Garr one of his favorite actresses. He actually selected this book for a recent road trip and couldn't wait to share it with me when he got back. I found her life interesting--how hard she has worked to achieve success in her field. And then to read about her MS and what early rumors regarding her health did to her career. She only gets 3 stars because it isn't a MUST read, but it won't be a waste of time either.
Douglas Tatelman
Boy, Teri Garr worked with so many famous people from Elvis to Coppola. She taught Robert DeNiro how to drive. And she was friends with the Beatles and Dennis Hopper and Steve Martin, and on and on. A fun trip through all these times, tempered by both her kind genuineness and the specter of her looming MS.

Once I started, I looked forward to picking it up every evening.

Where ever she is now, I send a smile to Teri Garr.
Goose
Exactly what I would expect from Teri Garr. She comes across as funny, goofy, determined, hard working, and kind of ditzy, especially in relationships with men. If you are looking for lots of nasty gossip about other actors then look elsewhere. Miss Garr talks about her life in Hollywood as more of a journey of learning and less as a walk thru a trash heap. Most enjoyable and I hope we see her again soon on the movie screen.
Deb
A pleasant memoir from a star who is obviously also a very pleasant person. I read this book because I was looking for her experience with Multiple Sclerosis. She managed to deliver to me to some degree and I am happy that I read her memoir. Her MS was a sneaky attacker, undiagnosable for years; that experience helped me with mine and gave me a perspective I needed at this point in my life with MS.
Rachel
Another great autobiography of a talented woman with a good ghostwriter. This book is a great read and it is written so well, it is as if she's casually talking directly to the reader. I have always found Teri Garr to be a terrific actress...she's also just a good woman with a great story to tell. Her childhood was as unique as her talent. I really like the photos included in the book.
Sherry
This book was given to me to read by my mother. I read it on the airplane on a recent trip to and from Florida. It was a good read, no pun intended. I didn't know that Teri Garr had been diagnosed with MS. This book was very informative without being too medical. I have a friend with MS and this book will help me understand her disease process a little better. It's worth the time.
Debbie Carnahan-Nichols
Dec 09, 2010 Debbie Carnahan-Nichols rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teri Garr fans, entertainment biography fans.
Shelves: 2010-audiobooks
So, anyone else out there know what it feels like when you are into a good audiobook and really looking forward to the next bit...but the LAST DISC IS DEFECTIVE???!!! Have to tell the library now...and wait for the rest. Danged shame, too! Teri was a great companion while I was making the green bean casserole, pumpkin pie, & masher sweet potatoes for tomorrow!
Melissa
Somehow I missed or forgot that Teri Garr had MS. I love reading about public lives, and I have always enjoyed Teri Garr in movies, so this was an interesting read. I found out a lot of information about her life that I didn't know. I am glad she wrote a book including her discovery of her MS and how she has dealt with all life has thrown into her path.
Rebecca
I hadn't planned on picking up a book by Teri Garr or about Teri Garr, but propelled by my interest in both Hollywood and autobiographies, I now know quite a bit about Teri Garr. And she's a very interesting and accomplished woman. I've been telling everyone I know, "Did you know Teri Garr danced in Elvis Presley's movies?" Ya learn something new everyday...
Doug Long
Teri Garr's motivation in writing this book was partially to discuss her coping with multiple sclerosis, but of course I love it for her showbiz stories. It opens with Oscar night 1983, when she lost the supporting actress prize to her "Tootsie" co-star Jessica Lange. She's funny and full of interesting stories.
Nancy
This was a very refreshing look at a very public person, someone we've all seen, someone with MS. Teri Garr is incredibly positive and inspiring - and very honest. I learned a lot of things about this funny lady. She's hilarious, yet real about her disease.
Sara
Got this on CD for the drive to Minocqua. There is rarely something that both Bob and I will listen to. But his was interesting. Tons of name-dropping, and focuses on her quest for a diagnosis of her MS. Worth a listen, but not awesome.
Kimberly
It was pretty good. The reason for reading it was to hear how she dealt with MS and that was really only the last 1/3 of the book. She has a interesting sense of humor and drive like me so it was a good read all the way through.
Shellie
I highly recommend listening to this book on audio as I did. Teri Garr reads it herself and so much more of the story and the humor of her life come out in her reading. Really good book.
Margaret
I enjoyed her book so much and I was fortunate to listen to it on audiobook read by Teri Garr. She is very funny in the book as well as quite serious especially about dealing with MS.
John
Bear in mind that her story of battling MS doesn't begin until late in the book. Until then, it's an autobiography of a second-tier film actress, nothing more.
Erin O
Quick, easy read.

Like a lot of Hollywood bios, it's a lot of name-dropping encounters. But there are several entertaining stories and Teri is funny.
  • Getting it Through My Thick Skull: Why I Stayed, What I Learned, and What Millions of People Involved With Sociopaths Need to Know
  • 100 Years, 100 Stories
  • Joan Crawford
  • Sunday Nights at Seven
  • Natalie: A Memoir by Her Sister
  • I Shouldn't Even Be Doing This!: And Other Things That Strike Me as Funny
  • The Times We Had: Life with William Randolph Hearst
  • Rita Moreno: A Memoir
  • The Gershwins and Me: A Personal History in Twelve Songs
  • You Bet Your Life (Toby Peters, #3)
  • Don't Shoot, It's Only Me: Bob Hope's Comedy History of the United States
  • Sleep In Heavenly Peace
  • Child Star
  • Unmasked The Final Years Of Michael Jackson
  • Cagney by Cagney
  • Wild Tales: A Rock & Roll Life
  • Citizen Hearst
  • The Other Side of Ethel Mertz: The Life Story of Vivian Vance
The Women's Book of Soul: Meditations for Courage, Confidence & Spirit Phyllis A. Whitney Presents Malice Domestic 5 (Malice Domestic, #5)