Start by marking “Street Kid” as Want to Read:
Street Kid

Street Kid

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  1,185 ratings  ·  50 reviews
John Peel first brought Judy's moving childhood story to light on ‘Home Truths’. Abducted by her psychotic spiritualist father and kept like a dog in the backyard, she went on to suffer at the brutal hands of nuns in a Manchester orphanage, before living wild on the streets. An incredible, heart-wrenching story of a child who refused to give up.

After a childhood lived in t
Published October 16th 2006 by Harper Element (first published May 2nd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Street Kid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Street Kid

A Child Called "It" by Dave PelzerDear Teddy by J.D.  StockholmPhenomena by Susan TarrTelling Teddy by J.D.  StockholmStupid Boy by J.D.  Stockholm
True Story Child Abuse Books
38th out of 146 books — 224 voters
Speak by Laurie Halse AndersonA Child Called "It" by Dave PelzerThirteen Reasons Why by Jay AsherDreamland by Sarah DessenThe Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
YA Violence & Abuse Novels
404th out of 483 books — 682 voters

More lists with this book...

Milana
Jun 03, 2014 Milana rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who does not try to stay away from "depressing" things
Recommended to Milana by: My mother and my sister
This book is amazing. My sister got this book when she went to California and read it in the few days she was there. My mom found it about a month or two ago and decided to start reading it. I noticed she would never put the book down! When she finished it she kept telling me that I should read it, so I decided I would go for it. I loved it. I know some people think "Why would you like a book that is sad?" I don't like it because of how it's sad, but because of how she makes it through the negle ...more
Dani Chakra
"You can beat the outside of me all you like but you're not going to get the inside of me. You're not going to see me cry."
"I'm used to tough. I'm stronger than you'd imagine. I'm a survivor."
Street Kid is tough to read because so many of us prefer to look away when destitution rears its ugly head, and to refuse to acknowledge extreme abuse. We convince ourselves that humans cannot be monsters and through our rose-colored lenses, the world [in its entirety] is safe. But the world is not a shelte
Suzy Atkin
Oct 03, 2010 Suzy Atkin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who can handle it
Recommended to Suzy by: University friend
I read this book in a matter of days. It made me feel a mixture of things, but all in all a fantastic true story of how humans can survive the most awful, heartbreaking situations. I commend anyone who has the courage to write their story such as this. I would recommend this book to all, and if you ever think your life is 'tough' this book will bring you back down to earth and quickly make you appreciate all you have!
Basirat Atif
This book was recommended to me a by a student during one of my library periods. I borrowed it and read in one day. What makes this story so tragic is that it is a true story. While we all are living comfortably, there are little children out there going through so many horrible things. Everyday is a survival for them. Its like they live on the edge constantly.
I have great respect for Judy Westwater. Despite all the hardships, she came out strong and successful. Her perseverance is to be acknow
Rebecca McNutt
Street Kid was a very disturbing book, but it was well-written and it raises awareness of the issue of child abuse.
Claire
Is tough to read because so many of us prefer to look away when the destitution rears its ugly head, and to refuse to acknowledge extreme abuse.
As a child, Judy was brutally beaten by her father and step mother. Her mother struggled to care for her and more often than not. Judy was forgotten, left alone to fend for herself, being raped not once but twice. She spent time with nuns who couldn't care less about her well being in an orphanage. She experience to lived on the streets, his out in back
Harold
I could reccomend this book to anyone and everyone. The book is easy and compared to others, short to read. I started reading this book recently and I was amazed that I couldn't seem to put it down. After years of trying, this is the book that made me sit down and keep reading for hours and it's the only book I have read all the way through so far.

The story of which Judy Westwater desribes is horrible in all ways you could think off. She suffered horribly through all them years. Yet she still ma
Love
I was not really in to her writing but it was a very sad story. How parents can do this stuff to children is beyond me. It happens to many times parents hurting their children to get back at a spouse. When he took his daughter in such a violent way crushed me. If I had been that mother it would have been a very cold day in hell that he would have walked out with my child!! From these books that I have read about the subject I feel these mothers are weak. I would never stand for a man who hurt my ...more
Jaii
a heart tearing experience. i cried then smiled at her courage and cried some more. then i found out there was a second part to this book and my heart caved in. I had to stop reading sometimes and reflect on my life, living with abuse and starvation and realize that i might have cried and attempted suicide but there are others in far worse situation than me. at least i wasn't alone. Judy's story touched my heart <3
Phillipa
Oh. My. Word. The lives some people have survived just amazes me. I don't know if I'd have the strength. The things this girl lived thru during her childhood are just horrific! More than that I just cannot say. She went on and on, surviving. It's an inspirational story by the end when she triumphs over her past.

I must say tho, that reading what she went thru as a kid, almost stopped me reading this book midway!
Deb
"A tough book to read at times due to the horrid abuse this woman went through in her early years. I skimmed over most of the paragraphs describing the torture, and it was amazing this person fought her way through life with such despicable and cruel treatment by both parents, and later by her own sisters. Hard to put down, yet difficult to read."
Niki Buskell
I have often wondered why people would buy a book about the abuse endured by a child, as there are many in the book shops. I picked this book off a book shelve while staying in a holiday cottage, curious. Judy writes with such clarity and matter of fact about the shocking details. You will her on and keep reading with the hope she will survive and find her way out, somehow. I have since researched her Streetkids organisation and will now be supporting and promoting this cause.
Demo

Read this book a few years ago. I borrowed this book from my school library. This book, it was a very sad story. I could not believe some of the things in this book to be true.
Sherry Lewis heinecke
When I was reading this book I could not put it down. It's so heartbreaking that children are really treated that bad and even worse than how Judy was treated. I loved how determined and motivated Judy was to make herself a better life as she grew older.
Ningsih
Ngeri banget membayangkan gadis umur 3 tahun harus mengalami kehidupan sekeras itu. Physically abuse and mentally abuse. Harus tumbuh dlm kondisi yg memprihatinkan. No affection.
Dan yg paling buruk kurasa, di usia nya yg masih sangat kecil, gadis cilik ini bahkan tidak pnya kesempatan utk jd anak kecil, memiliki kehidupan selayaknya seorang anak kecil - bermain, belajar, tawa, dunia yg ceria.
Salut banget bagaimana ia tidak menyerah dengan keterpurukan yg dialaminya. Dan bagaimana ia menemukan
Claire Flower
Just bought and read this book today, I'm not usually a fan of 'sob story'/'traumatic childhood' style autobiological books but I thought I would give it a go. It was a lot better than imagined and Judy comes across in a very matter off fact and incredibly strong way rather than in a 'woe is me' style.There are some horrific events that happen to her which make for hard reading, but it also gives a fascinating insight into Post-war/1950's Britain and the struggles faced in South Africa and the a ...more
Ipeh Alena
Kisah Nyata penulisnya ini. Bikin sedih, terus jadi kayak benci banget sama ibu tirinya. Bapaknya juga so stupid, begitu jahatnya sama Judy kecil. Tapi bener-bener ya perjuangannya gak gampang. Sampe telinganya rusak gara2 sering dipukul.

Judy bener-bener mengalami kekerasan anak, dia bahkan bisa menuliskan banyak hal yang dia rasakan seakan dia nulis tuh dari kecil.

Keren and really make me crying. Ngerasa beruntung banget bisa hidup segede ini tanpa penyiksaan.

Tapi novel gue dipinjem saudara gue
Claire Dyson
Just finished reading this book and I can honestly say I couldn't put it down! This book was so compelling, to think of a childhood like that is unimaginable but wat is even more unbelievable is the author judy's determination to survive! I enjoyed this book immensely but my only issue is the ending, in books like this it's good to read more in to the positive aswell as the negative and this book just kind of ended, was a bit disappointing but credit where it is due for an amazing book!
Rebecca Haslam
I took this book to work this morning in the hope I would get through a few chapters on my breaks. Lo and behold I finished the whole lot. This book did not take me long to get through as I found the pages and chapters ran smoothly into each other, something that fails to happen in other books I have come across. I like the idea that your blood family don't necessarily have to be the one you feel most a part of and I am glad that despite the hardship, Judy found her own path.
Tracy Bethell
excellent book,well worth reading
Gillian
An excellent read! It was so nice to read a true life story that gathers so much information but without too much detail on areas that dont always need it. A traumatic story but with a brilliant result for Judy. Really enjoyed reading this book would of liked to know if Judy reunited with Mary later on in life and what happened to her mum and dad in later life but there maybe another book she has written that i have not yet looked for.
Dan
This is a sad story about a child who grew up under horrible conditions. The story seemed on fast forward at times. You wonder how could the author have survived everything that happened to her. I do recommend this book to anyone who needs to be thankful for the everyday gifts in life that we take for granted.
Clarissa Candrian
Keren. Walaupun kupikir endingnya Judy bakal nuntut orang2 yg nyiksa dia kayak di The Step Child by Donna Ford, ini buku bener2 keren.
Judy bener2 bikin kita merinding. Ngebaca penderitaan anak sekecil itu, wew. That's totally insane!
Dan thanks for sharing such story, Judy.

Cheers!
Danielle
Beautiful. I could not believe some of the things to be true. It was fantasic, and made me wonder in awe how people live like that, how people could treat other humans like that. This book is truly an eye-opener. It really makes you thankfull for everything you have have in this life.
Lauren
This is the story of a survivor. Young Judy endured horrific atrocities at the hands of her parents, name father and step mother. The writing style was a little disjointed and hard to follow also the story lost my attention towards the ending. I wish I could rate it 2.5 stars.
Judith Yeabsley
I wouldn't normally pick one of these autobiographies but I had read an article on her and so wanted to delve deeper. Very, very sad tale of total parental neglect and abuse. Can't imagine the monster's that inflict these sorts of horrors on a child.
Jean
A brilliant book on the survival of Judy after being treated worse than a dog by both her parents, to eventually find happiness at the age of 17.
Would have loved to have a bit more about her later life and how she met her husband
Teresa
horrific story of child abuse. I was disappointed that there wasn't much told about the author after she escaped her parents in her late teens. The book just ended, with not a lot of closure.
John Snyder
A really sad story. You got to wonder how people can be so mean, but not just to strangers but to their own kid. Just glad she survived and was able to go on and do so much good in her life.
Amanda_DJ n' Zac
This I read quick. But making myself sit down while the kids napped, I actually had time to read this week. read it only a few days :) Now I want to read "Dont Tell Mommy"
  • Daddy's Little Earner: A Heartbreaking True Story Of A Brave Little Girl's Escape From Violence
  • Behind Closed Doors: A True Story of Abuse, Neglect and Survival Against the Odds
  • Please, Daddy, No
  • Deliver Me from Evil: A Sadistic Foster Mother, a Childhood Torn Apart
  • Childhood Interrupted
  • Don't Ever Tell: Kathy's Story: A True Tale of a Childhood Destroyed by Neglect and Fear
  • Scarred
  • When Daddy Comes Home
  • Betrayed
  • Sold
  • Broken
  • Ma, He Sold Me for a Few Cigarettes
  • Mummy Knew
  • Abandoned
  • Tell Me Why, Mummy: A Little Boy’s Struggle to Survive. A Mother’s Shameful Secret. The Power to Forgive.
  • The Little Prisoner
  • Our Little Secret
  • Unbeaten
Nowhere to Run nowhere to run