Start by marking “Slightly Single (Slightly, #1)” as Want to Read:
Slightly Single (Slightly, #1)

Slightly Single (Slightly #1)

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  4,256 ratings  ·  152 reviews
A heat wave in Manhattan is enough to drive a girl crazy, and for Tracey Spadolini, a 24-year-old New York trasplant who's been "left behind" for the summer, there is even more to sweat about...
Published January 1st 2002 by Red Dress Ink

To ask other readers questions about Slightly Single, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slightly Single

KDNH
I couldn't quite get into this book. Maybe it's because I've recently read a lot of books that have been hard to put down. But this is yet ANOTHER chick lit book set in New York City and the main character is insecure and sort of desperate. When her boyfriend is getting ready to leave on his trip it is almost painful to read her comments. I'm sure she has a personal makeover but I just can't find it in me to keep reading to find out. I've got so many other books I'd rather spend my time reading.
Sharal Hunter
Slightly Single by Wendy Markham is an example of why I love the Chick-Lit genre. My reading tastes vary far and wide but when I want a heroine who is intelligent, funny, witty, and manages to rise above whatever life throws at her, I turn to this genre. As with everything, there have been disappointments, but I was pleasantly surprised to find this treasure buried in my “to be read mountain”. Surprised, also, to see how long it has been languishing there.

Tracey is a very likeable character. She...more
Jenny
Bo-ring. I really enjoyed Mike, Mike and Me and thought this would be a good, quick read. It was boring.

A couple of beefs:
-at one point Tracey is at Buckley's and says that Will must have covered her up. No one proofreading it caught that? Get the name right!
-so one of the main characters of the book is named Will. So why would you name another guy in the book Billy? There aren't a million other names out there?
-Wade. Was he or was he not gay? At first, it says that he goes after anything that...more
Alicia Prevost
Gah for the lack of half stars! Honestly, can we start a petition to get half stars? Please?

I wanted to give this 3.5 stars but as I had to round, I decided to round down.

I felt like this book delivered exactly what I thought it would. It wasn't awesome, it didn't blow me away, but it was a good, decent chick lit with likeable characters, just very much exactly what I was thinking when I picked this book. It was good.

Tracey annoyed me at times, at times I wanted to strangle her and I rolled my e...more
Jen Frey
This book was a comfort to me after a break-up. It was just silly chick-lit, but I felt I could relate to the main character. It was a nice, warm and cozy light read. I had to buy it again because a friend borrowed it and never returned, (don't you hate that?). That being said, this is the only book I like in the series. I read the next two and lost interest.
Tina
I just read this a few months ago and I honestly couldn't tell you anything about it. I don't know if my memory just sucks that bad or it just didn't leave an impression on me.

I remember that I liked it when I read it. I remember that it was a pretty quick read. Probably good for travel or beach.
Erica
I honestly don't get why this series is so popular. The main character was unlikable, annoying, and "slightly" pathetic. And nothing really happens to redeem her. Maybe the books get better further along in the series, but I will not be finding out.
Melinda Elizabeth
Oh dear. This book was even more depressing than the last book I read!! I don't know if the author was thinking that there was a sincerity to Tracey that would endear her to the readers, but there's as a vacuous feeling to the whole debacle that made it difficult to feel supportive of Tracey, or indeed any of the other characters. Certainly, I did tend to side with Will, the standoffish, self absorbed "boyfriend", when Tracey was acting like a stage 5 clinger. Can't blame the bloke for running t...more
Patricia Kitzberger
Julie Ehlers
Really terrible. Why did I keep reading these Red Dress Ink books when they were always so awful?
Serena
Couldn't get through it
Ann
Slightly Single. Tracey is together with Will, an actor who is leaving for the summer to participate in an actors camp. Buckley, thought to be gay but not really.

Tracey is the kind of woman who irritates me. Being in a relationship in fear of being alone. Not because she is definitely in love. She has no self respect. As this books is about finding yourself I was hoping she would make a bigger breakthrough but that hope was kind of let down (view spoiler)...more
a-woman-in-search-of-a-word
The main character has no backbone.
Minisu
I have to say, after reading other's reviews of the negativity and self-depreciating of the main character in this book, I was a little hesitant about reading it. However, meeting the character and seeing her life, I think this is a real depiction of how many women (people) live. While some people are completely comfortable in their own skin, you find many that have daily struggles with 'liking' themselves. And people in this situation tend to 'settle' for less than the best, thinking they can't...more
Stacy
This was a super cute book. I really enjoyed it--it's definitely your typical chick lit and there are definitely times when you want to shake Tracey (the main character) and tell her to wake the hell up, but overall, it was a great read. Totally reminded me of myself in my early 20s living in the city (minus the incredibly shabby apartment--although mine was no great shakes, it was, at least, in a safe part of town--and minus the cigarette habit) and her relationship with Will totally reminds me...more
Francesca Rock
I have read this book before probably around 8 years ago. I remember really liking it and always wondering what happened to Tracey, so I decided to reread the first book with the idea of reading the rest of the series some time next year.

This book is not your general chick lit. Tracey is a chubby heroine who is very down on herself, this alone may be the reason I like the book so much. Will is a complete dick and deserves to be kicked to the curb, which Tracey has trouble doing. The story has so...more
Monica M
The writing is good actually (well set aside the wrong name or the outdated tech anyway) but the story frustating at some points, not mention the dissapointed ending.

(view spoiler)...more
Denise Cornelius
This book should be titled, “Completely Single.” I actually really liked it. It’s written well but the main character is in the worst relationship. The worst part is that everyone realizes it except for her. I didn’t see a single redeeming quality about her boyfriend (complete stretch of the word) Will. He is not really abusive or anything…he just completely doesn’t consider her at all. And she worships him which makes it even worse. The book takes place during the summer. Will is doing summer s...more
Anna
I read this book shortly after it first came out and I didn't like the book itself very much but that didn't mean that I couldn't relate to it. So let me explain...

Why I didn't like it:
-Tracey has really, really low self-confidence and self-esteem! A lot of women can probably relate to this, but I was tired of reading about how unattractive she thought she was.
-She was totally dependent on men for happiness which is pretty pathetic.
-She doesn't seem to have any personal goals or plans or desir...more
Kirsten
Michelle
Kristy
Sarah B.
Fun read. Apparently I really like books that take place in NYC. I found myself getting a little irritated with the main character, maybe because I could relate to her? She was chasing after a guy who was never into her to begin with. She was a bit pathetic, but in the end she understood her worth and what a true relationship should be like.
Lindsay
Love this book. Second time reading it. It's a simple book, nothing to exciting, a quick read. Tracey is an overweight New Yorker who has a dreamy boyfriend and a crappy job. For the summer her actor boyfriend is going out of town to an actor's thing so Tracey get's the idea to reinvent herself. She get's organized, starts walking and eating less, and reads the classics. She transformers herself, on the outside, but is still the same on the inside. She deals with her loser boyfriend while a new...more
Kerith
I've had this hiding in my closet for awhile so I finally read it -- classic format: young, neurotic 20-something woman living in Manhattan (it's either there or LA!) who is completely invested in her boyfriend (and of course, this is not mutual). The writing started out fairly strong and I was enjoying it, but it really petered out towards the end. The main character vows to transform herself during the summer while her boyfriend is away at summer stock, and very nearly does. Unfortunately I do...more
Dianachristine
Her writing style reminds me of Emily Giffin, and the protagonist really reminded me of myself in my mid20s. I want to read the next book! A fun, quick read for summertime.
Carmen
I consider myself a Wendy Markham fan. I've loved her books since I first pick up and read The Nine Month Plan. However, I have to say that I'm a little disappointed in Slightly Single. It just felt like the book was dragging on, and went at a really slow pace. You follow the narrator's train of thoughts, and it takes up more than half the book. Also, I found the fact that Tracey lost 40 pounds in 3 months really hard to believe. And the way she was dieting was really unhealthy, which would give...more
Maria
This book was hard to get through. I found myself getting so annoyed with the main character because she wouldn't open her eyes and see what was happening around her. Just when I was read to quit the book, she finally came around and started realize how horrible her boyfriend is. That helped me get to the end of the book because then I was interested in the boyfriend getting it handed to him, even though it took forever to happen, if it ever really did!?
Sadly I'm still interested in the next boo...more
Jennifer Burns
As a fan of "chick lit," I can say that I really enjoyed this novel. I finished it in just under two days.

The main character Tracy is going through many life changes.
While her boyfriend is away acting in Summer Stock, Tracy decides to reinvent herself. Except she doesn't exactly do it the right way. Tracy basically starves herself and smokes in an attempt to lose weight. That's my only beef. It's not really realistic to lose 40 pounds in 11 weeks.

However, she does eventually discovers who she...more
Melissa
Just ended. Kind of interesting storyline--NYC, girl has a boyfriend who goes upstate for summer stock.
Red Dress Ink Fans: Slightly Single (Group Read for April-June 2012) 16 20 Jun 03, 2012 08:47AM
  • Monkey Business
  • Scot On The Rocks: How I Survived My Ex-Boyfriend's Wedding With My Dignity Ever-So Slightly Intact (Brooke Miller, #1)
  • Frenemies
  • See Jane Date
  • Confessions of an Ex-Girlfriend
  • The Importance of Being Married (Jessica Wild, #1)
  • True Love (and Other Lies)
  • I Do -- But I Don't
  • A Total Waste of Makeup (Charlize Edwards, #1)
  • A Promising Man (and About Time, Too)
  • Exes and Ohs
  • Name & Address Withheld
  • The Bachelorette Party
  • With or Without You
  • Fourplay
  • Goodbye, Jimmy Choo
  • The Next Big Thing
New York Times bestseller Wendy Corsi Staub is the award-winning author of more than seventy published novels and has sold more than three million books worldwide. Under her own name, Wendy achieved New York Times bestselling status with her single title psychological suspense novels. Those novels and the women's fiction she writes under the pseudonym Wendy Markham have also frequently appeared on...more
More about Wendy Markham...
Slightly Settled (Slightly, #2) Slightly Married (Slightly, #4) Slightly Engaged (Slightly, #3) Mike, Mike & Me Slightly Suburban (Slightly, #5)