Start by marking “Bygones” as Want to Read:
Bygones

Bygones

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  2,042 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
After a bitter divorce, Bess and Michael are almost strangers. But when their daughter makes a shocking announcement, the couple must amend past mistakes-and start anew...
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Bygones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bygones

Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
Bought this book because Bess and Michael have my irl last name. :P

Read (9/7/15):

2 stars, because there was some really lolzy parts-- the retro, dated 80's references.

The pot smoking scene. Not the H/h, mind you, but their druggy son. LOLZ for dayz.

I did not like this book because of the fact they predominately blamed the heroine for the hero's cheating. The only person to blame for cheating is the cheater. No one "made" you cheat.

I don't mind the cheating plot-line, as long as people don't bl
Eli
This low rating doesn't mean the writing is lame. In fact, I thought it was apt for this kind of story. The author was able to reveal the world of early 90's through her writing -- the set of values, the way of life that spoke of that time, and the circumstances all allow the reader to feel a little bit nostalgic. The characters were okay but they can be really annoying.

However, when Bess and Michael finally shared a long overdue night of mutual passion, everything got boring and predictable. Af
D
Oct 15, 2014 D marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the duggars -- if they're cool with explicit sex scenes and nail varnish, that is
Recommended to D by: the shelf at my local Goodwill (eff you, shelf at my local Goodwill!)
*** FIRST UPDATE, LESS THAN SEVENTY PAGES IN, 10.15.14 ***

oh, m'god, y'all, i'm not sure i'm going to be able to DO this. i was blown away by lavyrle spencer's Morning Glory -- a POEM of a book; broke my heart. so when i saw a shelf full of spencer at my local Goodwill a few months back, i picked out some paperbacks. hardly five pages in to this one, i was ready to throw it against the wall. it has aged BADLY, people.

oh, how, you ask?

THE STYLE:
-raspberry pumps paired with matching leather glov
Aizel sulinap
Sep 12, 2012 Aizel sulinap rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
once again LaVyrle Spencer capture my heart to this wonderful story of Bess and Michael.The story is about the how mean a divorce can be to a family and the regrets how a wonderful marriage ends and most important( at least for me) that in divorce both parties have their own faults.
Hannah Stewart
Feb 22, 2016 Hannah Stewart rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I will be honest on two points: this book was clearly written when I was still potty-training and I didn't actually finish the book. Oh, I flipped the pages and read one sentence per five pages and I still knew that the baby solved nearly everything, that Keith was a dead beat and that the son ends up in A&E with two parents doting over him.
What I want to know is: we're women really this repressed only 20-30 years ago? And we're ringlet mullets EVER cool? (Be honest...)
I could not read thi
Ruth
Jul 21, 2012 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoy Lavyrle Spencer! Read her books when they first came out, and I'm going back to all of them again. They hold up so well...My biggest regret is that she retired!

I first read this a few years ago and still have trouble putting it down (even on the re-reads!) I appreciate the storyline here (where the main character is married to someone else). Seeing a divorced couple get back together with encouragement from one of their children is a refreshing plotline, and the story moved along at just
Faith
Apr 04, 2012 Faith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LaVyrle Spencer is a awesome author that had a gift for writing romance.

Bygones is a story about a divorced Mom whose daughter is getting married and wants both her parents to walk her down the aisle. There is a wealth of emotions in Bygones as there are in all of Mrs. Spencer's novels. She is author you won't regret taking the time read.
Karin
Jan 28, 2012 Karin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Divorced couple reconciles. Bess isn't likeable and Michael isn't as well-developed as her main characters normally are. Lisa is too precocious at 21 and Randy is a mess. Wish there had been more Stella!

The real star of the book is all the 80/90s decor described as completely desirable! It probably didn't help that I read this right after Family Blessings -Bess is no Lee.
Carol Pelzl
Dec 20, 2014 Carol Pelzl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

i,
ii have enjoyed reading lavylrle books for many years I read my 1st one about 20 years ago and waited for the next one to come so l could enjoy another great book. now I'm rereading them and enjoying them again

Rebecca Dean
Aug 22, 2012 Rebecca Dean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. I have read it over and over.

I first read it in Sept 1992 when it first came out. I kept it, of course, because it is LaVyrle Spencer. She is the best.

I re-read it in March 2009 and then again in July 2013

5 stars everytime. GREAT BOOK! Loved these characters.
Calamus Library
Oct 23, 2012 Calamus Library rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. LaVyrle Spencer is a very believable author. I did not want to put this book down. It is about a divorced couple and their family. Spellbinding, real-life characters. Enough drama to keep you entertained. A recommended read.
Doreen
Sep 26, 2012 Doreen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my absolute favorites!! Allowed me to glimpse into my own future with children growing older and becoming more independent. What's left for the parents? Can we once again find our happily ever after?
Nancy Kuchta
Mar 13, 2016 Nancy Kuchta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have liked every book I read by LaVyrle Spencer - her stories are all completely different from each other - hard to believe they are written by the same person. This one was no different !
Petra
Jun 20, 2008 Petra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I haven't read one of her books for many years. It was predictable and very boring.
Alice Harbin
Daughter wants divorced parents to get back together before she has her baby. She succeeds.
Janice Cafarelli
Bess and Michael are forced to deal with each other after a bitter divorce. They face many trials and tribulations and end up falling in love again.. Nice read for the romantic reader..
Nana
Dec 10, 2016 Nana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Previous to Goodreads I kept a book log. I am updating ratings based on my log. My rating system is 1 - 10. I gave this book a 5.0.
Sunshine
Originally read in 1990's.
Reread in 2013.

Another LaVyrle Spencer that I read years ago and decided to reread. When I read this book originally back in the 90's, I was much younger and idealistic. I thought the story romantic. Now in 2013, I still enjoyed it, but mainly due to the descriptions of the early 90's decor, fashion and hairstyles! Oh...and the music! Brings back memories! Of course, I also have a soft spot for
LaVyrle Spencer's books.

My main frustration with the story is that the husba
LadyCalico
The characters are well-developed and the narration and dialogue are well-written and readable with one big problem--the story--there wasn't one. This book was just a big nothing, but well enough written to keep you reading even after you've given up all hope of the story being anything other than trite and predictable. The author tried to throw in some drama with a surly YA son, but that surly adolescent stuff got as old as fast as it does in real life. This is purely a book for someone who enj ...more
LibraryCin

Bess and Michael have been divorced for 6 years and have not spoken. When their adult daughter brings them together again with an announcement of a pregnancy and a wedding, because of the wedding planning, Bess and Michael will have to spend more time together than they would like. Their 19-year old son, Randy, lives with Bess, but isn't doing much with his life. He has held a grudge against his father ever since the divorce.

I generally don't read romance books very often, so I was ac
Jaime Atkins
If I could, I would give this book a 3.75 as it was good, but not quite a four star. I love LaVyrle Spencer's books and this one did not disapoint. What I didn't like was the overwhelming family drama that got in the way of the rekindling of feelings between the two characters. However, that is what the book was all about anyway. The last 75 pages or so were the best of the book as everything seems to fall together. What I really appreciated was that the couple didn't fall into a "new" life wit ...more
Agi
Aug 21, 2010 Agi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-books
Cerita yang romantis. Menceritakan cinta yang tak pernah mati antara michael dan bess meskipun diantara mereka sempat terbentang tembok kebencian. Namun cinta itu tak pernah padam. Cinta itu merekah kembali begitu kesempatan mempertemukan mereka kembali dan membawa mereka menjadi satu keluarga yang utuh kembali. Cerita ini juga mengajarkan kita untuk tidak mengabaikan persoalan yang ada dalam suatu hubungan. Karena persoalan yang tidak terselesaikan itu membuat suatu hubungan semakin renggang. B ...more
Lisa
Jul 31, 2016 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bygones by LaVyrle Spencer is the story of a divorced couple who are drawn back together through the determination of their elder daughter and the troubles of their younger son. Bygones is not one of Spencer's stronger novels and the number of cliches and sugary-sweet metaphors and descriptions of clothing, cars and furnishings are enough to almost put you off. However, Spencer knows how to weave a good story and by the second-half of the book, I found myself enjoying it and wanting to see it th ...more
James Cooper
Aug 15, 2014 James Cooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kim
Feb 27, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I used to love LaVyrle Spencer's books- and had this last one lurking on the bookshelves. It was a lovely warm, cosy read. It had a predictable story line- but great to curl up and lose myself in.

Bess and Michael split following his affair. They are forced back together when their daughter announces she is getting married and is expecting her first baby. Beth is now an interior designer and Michael hires her to completely design his new appartment.
Mary Lou
Dec 03, 2013 Mary Lou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed every chapter of this book having recently gone through a divorce myself. Great lesson on marriage. Thoughts:
Communicate, praise each others virtues and overlook shortcomings.
At first marriage is a bed of roses, the humdrum starts in and you forget to do the small things that made that person fall in love with you.

Keep laughing no matter how hard times seem. One trying to make another laugh says I love you and I want to see you happy.
Barbara M
Spencer writes great characters and wonderful situations. This was her usual good work. A woman finally finds herself, her personal strengths, following a difficult divorce and she's forced back into a relationship with her former husband because of her daughters pregnancy and up-coming marriage. They must learn to relate to each other on different terms. Spencer is just so good at this!
Abbyb1
Dec 26, 2010 Abbyb1 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found this at the resort I was staying at in Puerto Vallarta. This isn't the kind of book I usually read, but I wanted something mindless and quick. Mission accomplished with this read. I read it in about 12 hours and knew where it was going, but that's what I wanted in the first place so I can't really fault the author or the story.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3.5 STARS

"A shocking announcement made by their daughter brings a bitter, divorced couple together again--and forces them to begin anew." (From Amazon)

I read this novel in my Danielle Steel days and find that Spencer's writing is much better and her plots more realistic. I enjoyed this book
Bunny
Oct 19, 2015 Bunny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read by LaVyrle Spencer. I enjoyed it because it was a nostalgic read for me. I'm a stickler for families trying to work things out instead of giving up, so it worked for me.
  • Charming Lily
  • Sweet Anger
  • Always in My Heart
  • Pot of Gold
  • Olivia
  • Kissing the Bride (Medieval, #4)
  • Morning Comes Softly
  • Mutual Consent
  • The Coming Home Place
  • The Carpenter's Lady
  • Here Comes the Bride
  • Scruples Two: Fifteen Years Later
  • Always and Forever
LaVyrle Spencer is an American best-selling author of contemporary and historical romance novels. She has successfully published a number of books, with several of them made into movies. Twelve of her books have been New York Times bestsellers, and Spencer was inducted into the Romance Writers of America Hall of Fame in 1988.

Spencer is known for creating realistic characters and stories that focu
More about LaVyrle Spencer...