Start by marking “Bygones” as Want to Read:
Bygones

Bygones

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  1,728 ratings  ·  47 reviews
After a bitter divorce, Bess and Michael are almost strangers. But when their daughter makes a shocking announcement, the couple must amend past mistakes-and start anew...
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Bygones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bygones

Eli
This low rating doesn't mean the writing is lame. In fact, I thought it was apt for this kind of story. The author was able to reveal the world of early 90's through her writing -- the set of values, the way of life that spoke of that time, and the circumstances all allow the reader to feel a little bit nostalgic. The characters were okay but they can be really annoying.

However, when Bess and Michael finally shared a long overdue night of mutual passion, everything got boring and predictable. Af
D
Nov 07, 2014 D marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the duggars -- if they're cool with explicit sex scenes and nail varnish, that is
Recommended to D by: the shelf at my local Goodwill (eff you, shelf at my local Goodwill!)
*** FIRST UPDATE, LESS THAN SEVENTY PAGES IN, 10.15.14 ***

oh, m'god, y'all, i'm not sure i'm going to be able to DO this. i was blown away by lavyrle spencer's Morning Glory -- a POEM of a book; broke my heart. so when i saw a shelf full of spencer at my local Goodwill a few months back, i picked out some paperbacks. hardly five pages in to this one, i was ready to throw it against the wall. it has aged BADLY, people.

oh, how, you ask?

THE STYLE:
-raspberry pumps paired with matching leather glov
Aizel sulinap
once again LaVyrle Spencer capture my heart to this wonderful story of Bess and Michael.The story is about the how mean a divorce can be to a family and the regrets how a wonderful marriage ends and most important( at least for me) that in divorce both parties have their own faults.
Ruth
Enjoy Lavyrle Spencer! Read her books when they first came out, and I'm going back to all of them again. They hold up so well...My biggest regret is that she retired!

I first read this a few years ago and still have trouble putting it down (even on the re-reads!) I appreciate the storyline here (where the main character is married to someone else). Seeing a divorced couple get back together with encouragement from one of their children is a refreshing plotline, and the story moved along at just
Carol Pelzl
Excellent

i,
ii have enjoyed reading lavylrle books for many years I read my 1st one about 20 years ago and waited for the next one to come so l could enjoy another great book. now I'm rereading them and enjoying them again

Karin
Divorced couple reconciles. Bess isn't likeable and Michael isn't as well-developed as her main characters normally are. Lisa is too precocious at 21 and Randy is a mess. Wish there had been more Stella!

The real star of the book is all the 80/90s decor described as completely desirable! It probably didn't help that I read this right after Family Blessings -Bess is no Lee.
Faith
LaVyrle Spencer is a awesome author that had a gift for writing romance.

Bygones is a story about a divorced Mom whose daughter is getting married and wants both her parents to walk her down the aisle. There is a wealth of emotions in Bygones as there are in all of Mrs. Spencer's novels. She is author you won't regret taking the time read.
Rebecca Dean
Loved this book. I have read it over and over.

I first read it in Sept 1992 when it first came out. I kept it, of course, because it is LaVyrle Spencer. She is the best.

I re-read it in March 2009 and then again in July 2013

5 stars everytime. GREAT BOOK! Loved these characters.
Calamus Library
I loved this book. LaVyrle Spencer is a very believable author. I did not want to put this book down. It is about a divorced couple and their family. Spellbinding, real-life characters. Enough drama to keep you entertained. A recommended read.
Doreen
One of my absolute favorites!! Allowed me to glimpse into my own future with children growing older and becoming more independent. What's left for the parents? Can we once again find our happily ever after?
Alice Harbin
Daughter wants divorced parents to get back together before she has her baby. She succeeds.
Petra
I haven't read one of her books for many years. It was predictable and very boring.
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
Bought this book because Bess and Michael have my irl last name. :P
James Cooper
LadyCalico
The characters are well-developed and the narration and dialogue are well-written and readable with one big problem--the story--there wasn't one. This book was just a big nothing, but well enough written to keep you reading even after you've given up all hope of the story being anything other than trite and predictable. The author tried to throw in some drama with a surly YA son, but that surly adolescent stuff got as old as fast as it does in real life. This is purely a book for someone who enj ...more
Sunshine
Originally read in 1990's.
Reread in 2013.

Another LaVyrle Spencer that I read years ago and decided to reread. When I read this book originally back in the 90's, I was much younger and idealistic. I thought the story romantic. Now in 2013, I still enjoyed it, but mainly due to the descriptions of the early 90's decor, fashion and hairstyles! Oh...and the music! Brings back memories! Of course, I also have a soft spot for
LaVyrle Spencer's books.

My main frustration with the story is that the husba
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3.5 STARS

"A shocking announcement made by their daughter brings a bitter, divorced couple together again--and forces them to begin anew." (From Amazon)

I read this novel in my Danielle Steel days and find that Spencer's writing is much better and her plots more realistic. I enjoyed this book
LibraryCin

Bess and Michael have been divorced for 6 years and have not spoken. When their adult daughter brings them together again with an announcement of a pregnancy and a wedding, because of the wedding planning, Bess and Michael will have to spend more time together than they would like. Their 19-year old son, Randy, lives with Bess, but isn't doing much with his life. He has held a grudge against his father ever since the divorce.

I generally don't read romance books very often, so I was ac
Jaime Atkins
If I could, I would give this book a 3.75 as it was good, but not quite a four star. I love LaVyrle Spencer's books and this one did not disapoint. What I didn't like was the overwhelming family drama that got in the way of the rekindling of feelings between the two characters. However, that is what the book was all about anyway. The last 75 pages or so were the best of the book as everything seems to fall together. What I really appreciated was that the couple didn't fall into a "new" life wit ...more
Agi
Cerita yang romantis. Menceritakan cinta yang tak pernah mati antara michael dan bess meskipun diantara mereka sempat terbentang tembok kebencian. Namun cinta itu tak pernah padam. Cinta itu merekah kembali begitu kesempatan mempertemukan mereka kembali dan membawa mereka menjadi satu keluarga yang utuh kembali. Cerita ini juga mengajarkan kita untuk tidak mengabaikan persoalan yang ada dalam suatu hubungan. Karena persoalan yang tidak terselesaikan itu membuat suatu hubungan semakin renggang. B ...more
Kim
I used to love LaVyrle Spencer's books- and had this last one lurking on the bookshelves. It was a lovely warm, cosy read. It had a predictable story line- but great to curl up and lose myself in.

Bess and Michael split following his affair. They are forced back together when their daughter announces she is getting married and is expecting her first baby. Beth is now an interior designer and Michael hires her to completely design his new appartment.
Mary Lou
I enjoyed every chapter of this book having recently gone through a divorce myself. Great lesson on marriage. Thoughts:
Communicate, praise each others virtues and overlook shortcomings.
At first marriage is a bed of roses, the humdrum starts in and you forget to do the small things that made that person fall in love with you.

Keep laughing no matter how hard times seem. One trying to make another laugh says I love you and I want to see you happy.
Iolanda
This being my first try at a Lavyrle Spencer book, I was really impressed! I was only fifteen when I read it and read it over the summer. Given the fact that it was about a Middle Aged divorced couple, I expected it to be detached for my liking but, I really enjoyed it. It really enthralled me. I loved each character and really cared for them.
Abbyb1
Found this at the resort I was staying at in Puerto Vallarta. This isn't the kind of book I usually read, but I wanted something mindless and quick. Mission accomplished with this read. I read it in about 12 hours and knew where it was going, but that's what I wanted in the first place so I can't really fault the author or the story.
Melissa K
I enjoyed this book, it was a decent romance novel. Definitely not my favorite however. It flowed pretty well and I was satisfied with the conclusion. However the daughter annoyed me a lot, she was a total pollyanna and very unbelievable in some of her language and actions.
Liska De Freitas
Una hermosa historia llena de esperanza y amor. Que nos enseña que todos cometemos errores pero a pesar de todo debemos perdonar, aceptar nuestros errores y culpas y luchar por seguir adelante. Recomiendo este libro!!!
Naomi
Any book of LS is well worth the read. Bygones was a sweet story which followed most of LaVyrle's books, yet sucked me in just like the rest of them. This is an author who I wish had never retired!
Kimberly Reszetylo
My first romance novel. I think I read this one in 1993 or 1995. It was when I was in Florida visiting family. Really good story about a divorced couple with older kids who end up reuniting.
Karen
This was a great story of a long divorced couple reconciling at the onset of their daughters wedding. They also deal with their teen sons drug problem
Lynn
I always like LaVyrle Spencer and have read several of her books. This story was compelling and interesting enough to keep me reading.
  • Charming Lily
  • Always and Forever
  • Scruples Two: Fifteen Years Later
  • Tangled Vines
  • The Final Price
  • One Fine Day (Molly, #2)
  • Reason to Believe
  • Kissing the Bride (Medieval, #4)
  • A Wild Yearning
  • Lost Love, Last Love (Morgan-Challenger, #4)
LaVyrle Spencer is an American best-selling author of contemporary and historical romance novels. She has successfully published a number of books, with several of them made into movies. Twelve of her books have been New York Times bestsellers, and Spencer was inducted into the Romance Writers of America Hall of Fame in 1988.

Spencer is known for creating realistic characters and stories that focu
More about LaVyrle Spencer...
Morning Glory Small Town Girl Separate Beds Family Blessings That Camden Summer