Start by marking “Hot Ice” as Want to Read:
Hot Ice

Hot Ice

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  9,094 ratings  ·  259 reviews
From New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts comes a seductive novel of red hot passion and cold hard cash, as a Manhattan socialite living at jet-set speed crosses a desperate man on the run—and finds herself trapped in a deadly game that may have no winners or losers . . . or survivors.

Reckless Whitney MacAllister possesses all the wealth and beauty every woman dr
Published September 27th 2011 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Hot Ice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hot Ice

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~*
Well this had to be one of the more enjoyable reads by this author for me.
"would be thief for hire" Douglas Lord has just finished a "job" lifting important papers that date back to Marie Antoinette and the lost french jewels that lead to a fortune in treasure. After almost turning over the papers he finds out he is to be double crossed & dumped in the nearest river, so he decides to keep them for himself, but he has to get to it before Dimitri & his goons get him first. Whitney MacAllis
Mary
CHEESY!!!

And if you're ok with cheese, it's not a bad book. My chief complaint is that they eat a lot of mangoes in this book...here's a quote...Pulling out a mango, he took a big, greedy bite. And they never peel them. Obviously the author has never eaten a mango. And that bugs me, because I love mangos, and...geesh, do a little research. But I guess mangos were more exotic in the 80s, and most readers didn't know you had to peel them.

So anyway.... think Romancing the Stone, and that's about t
SL
It just didn't do it for me. The storyline plodded along, and I couldn't like either of the main characters. There didn't seem to be a plausible reason why I should root for them. Vain, shallow, brash females don't engage me, and neither do narcissistic, immature males. I finished it because I wanted to see how it would end, but I would never reread or recommend it. The end was actually the best part...
Barbara ★
Definitely not one of Nora Roberts best books and the only one I've ever given less than 3 stars. This is a story about an unrepentant thief who steals priceless documents leading to a spectacular treasure from his mob-like boss and is therefore chased basically around the world (from Manhattan to Madagascar).

Unfortunately, neither the hero nor the heroine were likable characters. Whitney is shallow and vain and gave off that Paris Hiltonesque vibe - more money than brains. Douglas was worse -
Alicia Williams
Wow, has Nora Roberts ever gotten better in the last twenty years! I used to love her "two-word title" books which were always her mystery/romance books. I could barely make it through my 2006 re-read of "Hot Ice"! It was so repetitive, all the characters smoked a lot, and they were just dumb. What thief just gives out his name and travels with his own papers when being pursued by a Mafia God?
Head in the clouds
Mehhhhh, I didn't really like either of the main characters - they had questionable morals and their personalities were not the type that I admire. Still a pretty entertaining read, but not as enjoyable as other Nora Roberts I have read.
Angela
Nora Roberts' Hot Ice, one of her older standalone books from the late 80's, is a halfway decent caper novel. Thief Douglas Lord, betrayed by the man who's hired him to steal valuable papers pointing the way to a lost treasure from the French Revolution, is thrust across the path of the young heirness Whitney MacAllister--who promptly decides that teaming up with Doug will be the biggest adventure of her life, and never mind his occupying the shady side of the law.

Our hero and heroine journey fr
JoAnne
Read my review on Romancing-the-Book.com by clicking on the link below:

Yvonne
Moxie
I hated this book. I read it because it was supposed to be funny. It wasn't...not even a little bit.
I hated the characters. They were some of the stupidest people Ive ever encountered in print. A vapid moronic rich girl who is so desperate to have a real problem that she risks being shot at repeatedly, stalked, and the imitate threat of rape. Which would have been fine i suppose if she wasn't also shocked and mournful every time someone is hurt as a consequence of their endeavor. She is constant
Amanda
"A puzzle. I've got pieces to a puzzle and I'm going to Madagascar."

Beautiful, elegant, manhattan socialite Whitney Macallister finds herself placed into a unique partnership on a hunt for a long-lost treasure. It's not just any partnership, though. After Doug Lord, a slick, determined yet charming theif hijacked her car at a astop light in attempt to run away for bad guys; Whitney now must battle with Doug, side by side, to stay ahead of the little game entitled "death".

Roberts not only takes u
 One Curvy Blogger
This book was so disappointing. I was extremely interested in this book, don't get me wrong. It was definitely not boring. However...

A) Doug was such an asshole! Money is the only thing important to him. Lots and lots of money. I grew up in a home wear going out for fast food was a nice surprise. We never went to "restaurants" where entrees were more than $10 a plate, but DAMN I was never this greedy! His girl gets kidnapped and he's more concerned for the treasure then he is his lady. Smh. Even
Jess
Definitely not one of my favorites from Roberts. I just couldn't get into the story line and I really disliked the characters. Whitney was just too cold and acted too much like a prima donna and Doug was just irritating. Trying to act noble when he really was just a thief.

And the idea of keeping a running total of how much he owed her really irritated me at parts. I mean, when how much someone owes someone else is brought up right in the middle or right before a sex scene.. come on.

This won't s
Mollie *scoutrmom*
May 27, 2012 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of contemporary romance
Shelves: romance, read-in-2012
This is one of the funniest romantic suspense novels I've ever come across. It does not matter that the sex is plain vanilla, it's not germane to the development of the romantic relationship.

Miss Whitney MacAllister is something else. I love that every time she has to spend money in the adventure, she writes it down and keeps track of every cent for him to reimburse her.

Douglas Lord is an unapologetic thief. The author makes no bones about it. He displays values and a sense of honor, but he enjo
Duncan Mandel

FromNew York Timesbestselling author Nora Roberts comes a seductive novel of red hot passion and cold hard cash, as a Manhattan socialite living at jet-set speed crosses a desperate man on the run—and finds herself trapped in a deadly game that may have no winners or losers . . . or survivors.

Melanie Ptacek
Hot Ice is not one of Nora Roberts better novels. I would recommend skipping it unless you feel like you need to read everything she's ever written. Every one of the one and two star reviews here are absolutely true.

Whitney and Doug are so annoying, like other reviewers I wished Dimitri and goons would catch them to put us out of our misery. Whitney is like every rich spoiled princess you can possibly imagine. I could go on for hours about how spoiled, shallow, vain, annoying, etc she is, but to
Micii
A fantastic, exciting story. I'm thrilled!
Sharifah Najihah al-baaboud
Well, I gave this book 3 stars because 5 means- this book is great!! 2 or 1 stars means- this book sucks major _____!!!

But 3 stars means- dafuq did I just read???? I don't know if it's good, but it's not bad either, because hello? Nora Roberts wrote this.

Seriously though, the book is soooooo unreal that I was just like stopping every few chapters and be like 'Dafuq is the heroine doing??!!"

Things that are so wrong about this book:

1) When someone get into your car, ask you to drive and threatenin
Helena
Este libro me ha sorprendido. Me esperaba una historia de amor típica de Nora Roberts pero me he topado con un libro plagado de acción y suspense. Y es que cuando un ladrón de guante blanco se alia con una heredera millonaria que necesita aventuras, nos encontramos con la búsqueda de un tesoro perdido en Madagascar mientras unos peligrosos matones los persiguen por montañas y selva.
Una búsqueda donde un hombre independiente y tremendamente inteligente que está acostumbrado a trabajar por su cue
Vicky
This book had some big turn-offs for me: 1) There is no way getting around the fact that the "hero" is a crook. I'm as willing as the next person to make room for some moral ambiguity in fiction, but this guy, charming as he was, really stretched the limits for me. 2) The "heroine" isn't that appealing either. She's is vain, self-centered and full of herself. 3) I am completely turned off when the main characters smoke. Let me blunt: smoking is a disgusting, filthy addiction. Contrary to the way ...more
Karine Darnessy
Je reviens assez mitigé de ma lecture. Cela fait pas mal de temps que j'entends parler de Nora Roberts en bien et j'ai décidé de me lancer. Peut-être que je n'ai pas commencé par le bon livre mais ce n'a pas été le coup de foudre . Je me suis ennuyé pendant les deux tiers du livre, c'est la dernière partie qui m'a plu le plus. Quand au personnages, je ne me suis pas plus intéressé que ça. Je n'ai pas eu d'empathie pour eux et les mon chou à répétition mon agacé. L'autre point assez énervant, est ...more
Robin
On the run in Manhatten and the target of hit men, Douglas Lord jumps into a nearby car and orders the driver to "step on it". Heiress Whitney MacAllister doesn't like being ordered around, but flying bullets make her move fast. With killers on their heels, Doug and Whitney come to an agreement. He has information that will lead them to a treasure and will split it with Whitney if she bankrolls the expedition. Soon they are on their way to Paris, then Madagascar, in search of a priceless treasur ...more
Helen
As always, Nora Roberts draws fascinating characters and brings a locale to life, in this case both New York City and Madagascar. Unfortunately, the head-hopping point of view boomerangs the reader around into almost everyone's head--on the same page! It's unnecessary and distracting, and Roberts has controlled it better in other books. Plus, the book bogged down about a third of the way in with the characters rehashing in their minds the motivation that had already been clearly shown. That said ...more
Victoria
This is the only book of Nora Roberts I did not enjoy.

Did not like the charactors and the danger I did not fall into as I have in the past.
Stacey
Jul 28, 2011 Stacey marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
OK, I may never read this since I don't read these sorts of books. But it takes place in Madagascar! So...maybe one day.
Andreasoldier
So Doug Lord, a thief with discriminating taste, has stolen some papers leading to a cache of French royal jewels, from an organized crime lord with a penchant for sadism.
When he carjacks Whitney MacAllister, a bored New York socialite (think Paris Hilton), she decides to bank roll Doug's hunt for the treasure as long as he takes along for the ride.
The crime lord chase them to Madagascar where the jewels are. There's suspense, two innocents die, but the two refuse to give up.
While the story move
Maura
Makenzie
Joana
{2.5/3}

Sinopse:
Reckless Whitney MacAllister possesses all the wealth and beauty every woman dreams of. Streetwise Douglas Lord has the good looks and quick wits to be a success at his chosen profession: larceny. She has the cash and the connections. He has the stolen documents leading to a fabulous hidden fortune. It is a business proposition, pure and simple.

But the race to find the treasure, from Manhattan to Madagascar, is only part of the game. For their fierce and dangerous attraction to
Carol  MacInnis
The beautiful and very wealthy Whitney MacAllister who is used to having it all her own way is driving back from the airport after a two weeks trip in Paris. As she stops for a red light the passenger door of her car suddenly opens and a man gets in supposedly pointing a gun at her with his hand in his pocket and demands her to drive as three men are after him in a car behind them and they mean business. Douglas Lord is a professional burglar and the men after him work for someone named Dimitri. ...more
  • Born in Death (In Death, #23)
  • The Devil She Knows (Devil, #6)
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • Dating the Rebel Tycoon (The Kellys of Brisbane, #1)
  • The Captive (Harlequin Blaze, #534)
  • Eye of the Beholder
  • Secret Weapon Spouse (Miami Confidential #1)
aka
Jill March
J.D. Robb
Sarah Hardesty

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA. She was the youngest of five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline. During her
More about Nora Roberts...

“And she never had, Doug mused, because war and politics go for the big view and trample all over the little guy. France during the Revolution or a steamy pit of a jungle in Nam. It never changed. He knew just what it felt like to be helpless. He wasn't going to feel that way ever again.” 0 likes
“You're a first-class bastard, Doug." This time he grinned because he'd heard the light trace of respect. "I like first class, Whitney. I'm going to live there the rest of my life.” 0 likes