Going Postal (Discworld, #33)

Going Postal (Discworld #33)

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  51,593 ratings  ·  1,505 reviews

Suddenly, condemned arch-swindler Moist von Lipwig found himself with a noose around his neck and dropping through a trapdoor into ... a government job?

By all rights, Moist should be meeting his maker rather than being offered a position as Postmaster by Lord Vetinari, supreme ruler of Ankh-Morpork. Getting the moribund Postal Service up and running again, however, may pro

Published (first published 2004)

This book was an excellent surprise; I love the Discworld series but was getting tired of seeing the same characters again and again in every book. But this book introduces an entirely new and refreshing cast of characters. I particularly liked the main character and felt he was very well-developed.

Pratchett's books are funny precisely because he has a very firm grasp of human nature. His best work feels surprisingly profound even though you're also laughing so hard you're afraid you might brea...more
Nate D
Oct 16, 2008 Nate D rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who refuse to read fantasy novels.
This was really surprising, actually. Perhaps it shouldn't have been, given how many people whose opinions I respect are Pratchett fans, but I haven't read a fantasy novel since giving up on Robert Jordan's painstakingly prolonged The Wheel of Time (somewhere in book 5, I think) long before college. Actually, I suppose I read a bunch of the Harry Potters in the interim, but in some ways that felt more like keeping up with pop culture than reading actual fantasy.

In any event, Going Postal was pur...more
E.H.
Jun 05, 2007 E.H. rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: language and history geeks
Shelves: theboxmarkeddone
I picked up this book to read on a 15 hour flight from Chicago to Vietnam, on the assumption that it would be a light, pleasant way to pass the dreary hours (after one flight to China during which I watched the first X-Men film three times, I decided it was best to err on the side of having too many books rather than too few).

My assumptions proved correct, and I enjoyed the book quite thoroughly. Three things struck me:

1) Pratchett's use of language is always fun, and he occasionally makes wond...more
Eleanor
Dec 31, 2007 Eleanor rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: satire / fantasy nerds
I am probably the last person on earth to read Terry Pratchett, but I'm glad I finally did. People have been recommending his books to me for years and although I had planned on starting with book 1, Color of Magic, the bookseller recommended I start with Going Postal instead (they were also out of stock of CoM). Every time I picked this book up I laughed out loud, it has a refreshing wit combined with a sharp perception of people and their funny habits. I ate this book up and bought copy of "Gu...more
Cora Linn
One of my favourite Discworld novels - although I'm sure I've said that more thank once.

The way terry Pratchett plays with worlds is great - it adds to the pace and humour of this hilarious novel.
What happens when Ventari becomes an angel and puts a con man in charge of the decrepit Post Office? Nothing one expects, of course.
--------------------------------------------

There was a silence. In that silence, Moist tried out a variety of responses, from "Pull the other one, it's got bells on" to "That's impossible", and decided they all sounded stupid. Groat looked deadly serious, so instead he said: "How?"
----------------------------------------------

There are many, many characters in the...more
Ron
Cute, but kind of stale--like Seinfeld. It's superficially funny, but you get the feeling it's been done before. Many times.

In light of 2008's financial crisis, Going Postal might be taken as a timely reminder of the fallibility of humans, especially those entrusted with wealth or power.
Jared
In Going Postal, the enlightened despot of Ankh Morpork, Lord Vetinari, rather forcibly recruits a con man, Moist von Lipwig, to take over the running of the venerable and deserted post office, where letters have been accumulating for years -- if not decades -- without delivery. Moist steps reluctantly into the moldy shoes of the Postmaster, only to discover that the previous three occupants of the position died grisly deaths in the execution of their duties (and I use the term "execution" advis...more
Rachel
Mar 14, 2007 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: funny fantasy readers
Shelves: fantasysci-fi
Not as good as the other ones I've read, but maybe I'm ODing just a bit. Still awesome though. Very funny, and very well done. I like him a lot better than Neil Gaimon (don't kill me!).
David
Okay, so this wasn't brilliant or incredibly original or anything that a 5-star novel should normally be, but it was funny and fast-paced and hugely entertaining. Pratchett's Discworld, with its hodge-podge of technologies, cultures, and magic, into which he shoehorns whatever anachronistic notion works for the story, shouldn't work as well as it does, but somehow you suspend your disbelief and just enjoy the ride.

Starting with the cringeingly-named protagonist "Moist von Lipwig," Going Postal i...more
Christina
Letters want to be delivered - and if they don't, you can get some nasty surprises. Especially in the post office in Ankh-Morpork where letters haven't been delievered for years and years.. and are starting to talk...

So to solve this problem, the Patrician and tyrant Lord Vetinari 'hires' con-artist extraordinaire Moist von Lipwig to fix it. In this case, hires means that after Moist is hanged - and almost died from it - he get offered to fix the postal service - or die. So he has a choice to ma...more
Steven Harbin
Con man Moist von Lipwig is about to be hanged for his various crimes, until Patrician Havelock Vetinari, tyrant of the Discworld city of Ankh-Morpork, gives him a new lease on life. He can hang (literally) or he can take over the defunct Post Office of Ankh-Morpork and use his considerable skills of persuasion and deception to fix things up postally. Just to make sure that von Lipwig doesn't go on the lam, he's given his very own Golem to watch over him and bring him back if he gets lost...

This...more
Dee
Prompted by seeing the television version of Going Postal, I broke off my serious reading schedule to take a brief swing through the Moist books while the weather's so fiendishly hot that a) serious brainage is bad and b) reading the word "moist" every minute is faintly refreshing. Book so much better than TV, Richard Coyle notwithstanding.
Bev
My son has been hounding me to read Terry Pratchett for years but started one and just didn't think it was my thing. Then I read Dodger (which I loved) and decided to try again with Going Postal and........what a lot of time I've wasted! Really enjoyed it and will read more now - think it's going to be expensive ;-)
Little Miss Esoteric
5 stars. Mr Pratchett, you are smart. Hermes (Mercury) the Trickster. Mr Messenger and Mr Prophecy himself. Everywhere I venture I find you've been there, you've figured it out, and what's more you've written about it. Quite frankly you kick butt. I raise my glass in your honour.

Addie
Discworld, where have you been all my life? There are 40 books in this series. Or something like that. I ask, what have I gotten myself into?
Melanie Brown
Moist Von Lipwig is a con man with the gift of being almost totally undistinguishable who is at the end of his rope, literally. However, he doesn't hang long enough to kill him, just long enough for his various aliases to die. He is then whisked to the office of the Patrician of Ankh-Morpork, Vetinari. Vetinari is his "guardian angel," giving him two choices: get the long-abandoned Ankh-Morpork Post Office up and running, or walk out the door behind him. Since Moist knows what awaits him outside...more
Sakura87
I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

Non è un mistero lo sfortunato trattamento subito qui in Italia dai libri di Terry Pratchett. La saga del Mondo Disco è iniziata in patria nel 1983 con Il colore della magia, e - proseguita ininterrottamente - conta oggi trentanove volumi pubblicati, due annunciati, più un numero incalcolabile di gadget, libri a tema (come mappe e guide alle città o alla scienza dell'universo creato dall'autore britannico) e miniserie tv.
Limitandoci ai libri, nel nos...more
Heidi Cullinan
This is my favorite book.

I mean, this is the book of books. I have lost count of how many times I've read and listened to it. I know the story inside and out, but I still get a thrill every time I go back into this story. I love Making Money too, but this book. THIS. BOOK.

How do you not love a character named Moist Von Lipwig? How do you not love a chain-smoking Adorabelle Dearheart? This book is funny. This book is rich and thick and varied. This book takes on, in satire, corporate greed and m...more
Richard
8.5/10

My first real attempt at a Terry Pratchett novel. Quite a while ago I picked up Colour of Magic and read it intermittently without ever really getting into it or thinking it was anything too special. I was given Going Postal as a gift a couple of years ago and finally picked it up and attempted it due to my keenness to get into the Discworld series. I'm glad I did!

It's very different to the normal sort of crime/action books I read and I'm trying to broaden my horizons with different styles...more
Olga Godim
I’m reading the Discworld series out of sequence but I like everything I’ve read so far. This is the installment #33, one of the latest ones, and it’s not nearly as funny as the earlier books. This novel is more serious; it might even be called tragic… as only a Discworld book could get. I mean, Pratchett’s parody gets so profound here, sometimes you want to laugh and weep at the same time. Or curse at the human follies and corporate immorality. Yes, this book is about greedy corporations.
In An...more
Kathleen
4.5 stars. A repeater! Loved this fabulous book! It's pure fantasy, with humans and golums mainly, but also werewolves, dwarves, trolls, etc. Going Postal is a joy on several counts, but especially character development, plot, humor, and historic references (it's set in a guild-controlled city much like Hamburg or London, around 1400 -- a fictional city, on a fictional magical planet, called Discworld).

The anti-hero is an expert con-man, a clever operator with a good heart. He is about to be ex...more
Debbi
While I always enjoy Pratchett's unusual ways of seeing the world and his sense of humor, I found this book to be slow. I was ready for it to be done by page 300 but still had nearly 100pages more to go.

That said, it was still another fun, witty ride through the Discworld Universe. Moist was a likeable con-man, and I hope we see more of him and the Gollems (really liked them). I loved the idea of a defunct post office building filled to the brim with letters. I loved the idea of trying to bring...more
Viktor Malafey
Весела і цікава книжка. З безліччю алюзій з масової культури і посилань на повсякденне життя.

Going postal, in American English slang, means becoming extremely and uncontrollably angry, often to the point of violence, and usually in a workplace environment.

Дійство відбувається в якомусь паралельному всесвіті, де все дуже схоже на наш світ, але з вкрапленнями фентезі. Підозрюю, що ця книжка є лише частинкою з великого циклу, що не лише є пародією на всілякі "Володарі перснів", а й взагалі сформува...more
Steve
An engaging and entertaining installment in the Discworld series. Pratchett takes on the culture, lore, and mythology of the postal service in an era of commercial competition; in that context, he spins out a chaotic, amusing, and, periodically, thought provoking yarn....

Disclaimer for regulars: this is one of those installments which could - arguably - stand on its own with only limited familiarity with the Discworld. The Going Postal story line was (in large part) devoid of Pratchett's more ma...more
X5-494
Going Postal – Terry Pratchett

I’ve always had a bit of a problem with Terry Pratchett’s books, when they weren’t about one of his „major“ character groups; The Watch, The Witches, DEATH etc. For example, I just couldn’t get the hang of “Small Gods” or “The Thief of Time”, and finally gave up reading those books. Yes, Ladies and Gentleman (or should I say Lords and Ladies? ;), I haven’t read ALL Terry Pratchett books there are. Sue me.

I don’t really know what propelled me into trying to read “Goi...more
Dan Schwartz
Who would have thought a book about the postal service would be so entertaining? Well not I of course, but then again, this was my first introduction into the works of Terry Pratchett. The book was flat out hilarious, from the subtle commentary by the brilliant author, to the clever interaction between characters, and even to the well thought out names to each and every individual. From beginning to end the postal jokes got delivered (pun intended) as well as many other jokes of various shapes a...more
Ryan
Terry Pratchett's Going Postal is the thirty-third "Discworld" novel. Here, Pratchett sets about saving Ankh-Morpork's post office. At first glance, Going Postal is clearly the work of a man that has run out of ideas.

You can imagine the creative process. Pratchett is sitting at his desk, brainstorming. "Saving the world -- scratch that, I've done it already. What's this? A letter. I'll read that after I come up with a premise for my next book. Saving the ... post office! Where's my letter opener...more
Joshua Keezer
Of the Terry Pratchetbooks I've read, Going Postal has been my favorite. The story is fast paced and witty and is many ways a "build it up from the ground" story. For some reason I love stories and games when the character has to take something in disarray or non-existant and fix it.

The first half of the story is about the main character Moist von Lipwig finding himself and getting direction as he is assigned the task of getting the postal service running again or die. The character has issues i...more
Charles
Stuff I Read - Going Postal by Terry Pratchett Review

Part of me doesn't really know where to start when it comes to reviewing this book. On the one hand, I liked it. It was entertaining, and fun, and while I would hesitate at the word funny I will say it had its share of humor. And Pratchett is a fine writer, and an author I have enjoyed elsewhere, but I do get the feeling that this book, coming fairly late in the Discworld series, was definitely set to a formula, and it shows a bit in how every...more
La Stamberga dei ...: Going Postal di Terry Pratchett 2 16 Jan 16, 2013 12:01PM
  • The Portable Door
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook
  • The Brentford Triangle
  • The Tough Guide to Fantasyland
  • In the Company of Ogres
  • Legends 3 (Legends 1, Volume 3of3)
  • Wieża jaskółki (Saga o Wiedźminie, #6)
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy
  • Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2)
  • Better than Life
  • Wizards of Odd
  • Bad Prince Charlie
Sir Terry Pratchett sold his first story when he was thirteen, which earned him enough money to buy a second-hand typewriter. His first novel, a humorous fantasy entitled The Carpet People, appeared in 1971 from the publisher Colin Smythe. Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, including his first Discworld novel,...more
More about Terry Pratchett...
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1) Mort (Discworld, #4) Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8) Night Watch (Discworld, #29)

“Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?” 509 likes
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?” 326 likes