Start by marking “Losing It” as Want to Read:
Losing It

Losing It

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  22 reviews
They say Diana Christopher is losing it.

Considering she's just driven her car into the front window of Davey's Café, they might be on to something. All Diana wants is to be normal—but life for this thirty-two-year-old waitress is anything but. Since the death of her father two decades before, Diana has looked for consolation in doughnuts, strawberry shortcake and cheese cu
Published October 1st 2003 by Red Dress Ink

To ask other readers questions about Losing It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Losing It

Cynthia
I thought this book was pretty good. The humor at times made me laugh out loud. I disagree with some of the comments about this book just sending the simplistic, wrong message, "Lose weight and everything will be great." I don't think this book meant that at all. Yes, weight is one of Diana's struggles, but her struggle with self-esteem & complacency are her main problems. Her lack of self esteem prevents her from finding a better, more fulfilling job and keeps her shut up in her apartment s ...more
LawyerLady
This is honestly one of the worst books I've ever read. What a waste of time. From the horribly written dialogue, to the predictable plot, to the damaging messages it sends to women about their bodies, this novel is so poorly written that, frankly, I'm amazed it was published. The characters are overly simplistic and, with the exception of the 93 year-old neighbor, all unlikable. The main character is whiny and depressed, and finds happiness only through weight loss. (Thin people can find love! ...more
Kristin
Kris
I would prefer to give this book 0 stars, but that isn't an option. It is unbelievably shallow, with the obsession of losing weight at its center, at which point only then will the character's life begin and then have a happy ending. Literally, the last page is an update of weight lost and her own "happy ending", verbatim.
Mariah
I refuse to finish this book. I think this book was aiming for a Bridget Jones diary feel but its just too ridiculous. The poor main character is looked at like a freakishly obese 32 year old failure with no hope for happiness. Seriously, do we really need more crap shoved in our faces that drive home the false: skinny =beauty=love=happiness? I think not. This book may have had a redemption moment but I am not willing to put anymore time into it. If the bad character development were the only ne ...more
Sara
This book was ok. I read it on the airplane and was and easy read and helped me pass time. The main character Diana is likeable at times and somewhat annoying at other times. Loved her relationship with Mrs. Bartle and the relationship with her mother was proabably the best part of the book. Her "relationships" was a little hard for me to buy. Reminded me of a shorter happier version of She's Come Undone. If you haven't read that book yet, don't. Read this one instead. If you have read She's Com ...more
Mizzashley
This book showed how anyone can overcome anything you just have to set your mind to it. Diana struggled with self-esteem and issues about her fathers death and she blamed her self for alot of this. She had no connection really with her mother but Mrs. Bartle that sweet,elderly lady in the apartment below helped her see life in a different light. She was a key part to Diana's ongoing change. The story pulls you in and it had me laughing and crying for Diana..and a couple of times I wanted to say ...more
Kellie
Bah. Not a great book. I just didn't like Diana at all. What a twit. The whole pregnancy scare was stupid. How dumb can a person be? My biggest gripe about this book was that it's basically telling you that you can't be happy or get a man unless you are skinny. Nice message.

I gave it two stars, because as bad as the main character and message was, I did finish it, and there were some nice parts.

(BTW, I originally registered this book at Bookcrossing in 2003. OMG)
Lauren Biddell
I really enjoyed this book, though I did find there were times when I wanted to smack her one and tell her to snap out of it at the start. In saying that, I do know how low self esteem feels so it made a bit of an impact. I loved it when she started getting some confidence and really looking after herself.
CharityJ
One of the dumbest books I've read. Character driven and the characters, with the exception of the 93-year-old lady, aren't likable. In fact have never read any other book where I really disliked the main character. Props though for making me wish I had a hip, 90 year old friend.
Danielle
A cute little book about a 32-year-old woman with the maturity level of the 25-year-old author. A fast and enjoyable read, if you don't get too caught up in the fact that the main character acts more like an adolescent than an adult, but then again, the book might not work otherwise.
Amber
Jun 10, 2007 Amber rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2007
I really liked the story of this young single fatty and her relationship with her 93 year old neighbor. It was predictable in some ways but also sweet and enjoyable. I read it very quickly.
Marisol
Would've given this one a solid 4 stars, except that I didn't quite appreciate the way the author equated skinny with happy. Otherwise, it was quite funny and witty.
Jessica
Perfectly predictable. This book required no thinking whatsoever, like sorbet for the mind. Plus, I've had it for 10 years and hadn't read it yet, so there's that.
Audry
Started out a bit frustrating...all I could think was, "stop whining!" But the ending made up for it and has made it one of my favorite "fun" books lately.
Christy
An overweight girl is depressed and has a miserable life. She loses weight and things get better. Wow, haven't read THAT one before.
Kim
This book was ok. It's not the best RDI book I've ever read, but it's also not the worst. Quick, semi-good read if you're in the need.
Arlene Miller
This book had a lot of flaws, especially at the beginning. However, the story was interesting and I enjoyed it. Nothing great.
Catherine
Super-predictable with a "lose weight and your life will be perfect!" message to boot. Not recommended.
Deb
uch, this book was crap, it tried really hard to be like Bridget Jones, but failed.
Charity
A very charming and quick read. Loved the characters...all quirky and fun.
Miss Books
Parts of this book were laugh out loud funny. I really enjoyed it!
Arianna
Arianna marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Pam Luteran-Isbell
Pam Luteran-Isbell marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
  • Sleeping Over
  • Tart
  • Loose Screws
  • Tallulahland
  • Crossing the Line (Jane Taylor, #2)
  • Out of the Blue
  • Bombshell
  • Up & Out (Red Dress Ink)
  • Why Moms Are Weird