The Fantastic 5 & 10¢ Store: A Rebus Adventure

The Fantastic 5 & 10¢ Store: A Rebus Adventure

3.14 of 5 stars 3.14  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  15 reviews
What lurks inside that mysterious store at the end of town? Only Benny Penny is adventurous enough to find out. . . .

Published September 14th 2010 by Schwartz & Wade

Tasha
Something new has appeared at the end of town. Benny Penny sets off to find out what it is and discovers a five and dime store that is filled with unusual items. The only thing missing at the store are customers and Benny Penny has an idea of how to bring them in! Pure silliness, this book celebrates the hodgepodge of an old-fashioned dime store with its amazing mishmash of offerings. Told in rebus format, this book is not designed for emerging readers because the rebus clues are rather difficul...more
Becky
Fun reading puzzles with pictures. Engaging for both children and adults.
carissa
In this book, you can read the words and the pictures. Perfect for children just learning to read, this silly, kid-friendly rebus picture book is sure to be a hit in the classroom and at home. (In a rebus, words are represented by images, or by an image plus a letter. And even beginning readers can take pleasure in reading pictures!) The pairing of Valorie Fisher’s full-page art with J. Patrick Lewis’s funny rhyming poem will give young readers plenty of clues for solving these fun and engaging...more
Becca
This rebus style book has been entwined just trying to decipher the page. It is a bit hard to follow, but once you get a rhythm and flow down, you read it much easier. There are numbers involved, making it a bit math-y. The pictures are irresistible and help you follow the story. Maybe 4th and 5th graders would have enough patience and higher thinking to read this on their own. If younger, read as a class would be more beneficial.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
While I enjoyed reading the rebuses that accompanied the pictures, I didn't care much for the story. I've never been a fan of nonsense, and this reminded me too much of "Jabberwocky." Objects coming to life and running races, flying, marching--not my cup of tea. It's ok, I guess, but I've read better rebus books.
Donalyn
A fun story told in a combination of rebus word pictures and text. The story was not as engaging as the word art, but young readers will love guessing the rebus words. I disagree with the publisher's blurb, which claims this is a great book for early readers. I think the pictures are challenging!
A rebus book! I enjoyed looking at the pictures, though I find the rebus format a very slow read. Are there other rebus books that people like? I would purchase this for a K-5 library because I think students would really enjoy the format.
Jess Brown
Mostly I liked this one because it's a rebus poem, and believe it or not, I actually had a family ask me specifically for a rebus poem book! Voila! It's a little bit clunky to get into, but half the fun is figuring out the puzzle, right?
Heather
I liked this strange little book, but I thought the rebuses were plenty tough. Some rebus books are for very young children. This one would probably work better for good readers, maybe 3rd grade and up.
Dianna
My son and I enjoyed the rebus aspect of this book (it was my son's first rebus story), but the story itself made very little sense.
Kate
Liked the idea of this - a story told in rebuses, set in a junk store, but it didn't really work - too complex and long and confusing.
Ginny
This was a hard rebus book! Makes me happy for the easier ones lol.
Sarah Sammis
Rebuses aren't my thing but both of my kids love it.
Matt
A little tricky at first.
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2013
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
J. Patrick Lewis is the current Children's Poet Laureate. He has written more than seventy children's books, including Once Upon a Tomb: Gravely Humorous Verses. J. Patrick Lewis lives in Ohio.
More about J. Patrick Lewis...
Please Bury Me in the Library Last Laughs: Animal Epitaphs National Geographic Book of Animal Poetry: 200 Poems with Photographs That Squeak, Soar, and Roar! Spot the Plot: A Riddle Book of Book Riddles Edgar Allan Poe's Pie: Math Puzzlers in Classic Poems