Start by marking “Co-Active Coaching: New Skills for Coaching People Toward Success in Work and, Life” as Want to Read:

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  417 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews

Discover what's new in this classic work that helped define the field of coaching.

With the first edition of Co-Active Coaching, Laura Whitworth and her pioneering co-authors set the stage for what has become a cultural and business phenomenon, and helped launch the professional practice of coaching. Their flexible Co-Active Coaching model has stood the test of time

Published January 10th 2007 by Nicholas Brealey Publishing (first published December 25th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Co-Active Coaching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Co-Active Coaching

Colleen Wainwright
This book thoroughly explains a kind of coaching that uses collaboration between coach and client to activate the client's natural creativity and abilities towards solving the client's problems.

While I've never been coached by someone formally trained (by ICF) in this style of coaching, I have been coached in the collaborative style, and found it challenging, invigorating, and highly engaging—qualities that are completely leached out in the dissection and description of it, save a few spots her
Loy Machedo
Jun 18, 2012 Loy Machedo rated it really liked it
Loy Machedo’s Book Review – Co-Active Coaching by Laura Whitworth, Phillip Sandahl, Karen & Henry Kimsey-House

Now before I dwell into the book review of Co-Active Coaching, let me confess something - I am a student of Co-Active Coaching.

I have spent around a year taking courses and attending the workshop related to Co-Active Coaching and yes, I have met a few training colleagues who are into this field and discipline.

But be warned – though I am a student, does not mean I am going to speak
Teresa Raetz
Dec 31, 2011 Teresa Raetz rated it liked it
A nice overview of the coaching process with some very helpful examples of dialog and documents/exercises/etc. to use. My main criticism is the fundamental assumption the authors make that every participant in coaching is willing to do the right thing or is an ethical person. They are a bit optimistic about the breadth of experience within human nature, in my opinion, so they don't include any information or discussion of how to screen the people you work with for fit, how to determine what your ...more
Dennis Podryadchikov
The book 19s popularity speaks about its usefulness as a textbook in coaching. Kimsey-House et al emphasize the active part in coaching, where both coach and client are together actively looking for coaching solutions. The authors explain the basics of coaching with special focus on finding fulfillment. Both students and professionals of coaching will benefit from having this book in their library.
Alex Devero
Nov 21, 2015 Alex Devero rated it really liked it
Shelves: work
Co-active coaching is about establishing a collaborative relationship with your clients to effectively empower them to find their own answers; your task is also to encourage and support your clients as they make choices to become more in-tune with their personal values.
David
May 19, 2016 David rated it liked it
Co-active coaching demonstrates coaching as a relationship where the client has the power and is fully involved in the coaching process. Great use of examples of dialogue and the appendixes are priceless in the back of the book for exercises and questions. I felt there was too much filler and more clear principles and better description of processes would have helped.
Glennie Mercer
Feb 03, 2016 Glennie Mercer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership, coaching
An absolutely foundational reference for those coaching others. As a CTI grad myself, this resource was the cornerstone of the program, and continues to be an excellent resource
Marianne Mullen
May 11, 2016 Marianne Mullen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Amazing book for coaching!
Carole Staveley
This is a fantastic book for anyone looking to become a life or business coach. It really helps you understand the fact that coaching is about helping the client achieve his/her full potential by simply unlocking the capabilities that they already possess. It is definitely an art that requires practice, but the book provides many helpful tools to implement the co-active coaching approach.
Charity
Mar 03, 2011 Charity rated it it was ok
I read it with mentoring in mind and found the area of "life coaching" is an odd thing: it's both counseling (non-directional and optimistic) and noncounseling (not about pyschological)--
The sample dialogues, which should have been helpful, really didn't reflect real dialogues. ( I thought the book would never end.)
Jeffrey
Dec 03, 2009 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
This is good as a review for those already coaching but essential for newbies. It's written well and is very useful in that it contains a CD with forms, exercises, and procedures for applying co-active coaching. (All the aforementioned is also printed out in the back of the book.)
Linda Stokes
Nov 28, 2010 Linda Stokes rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Great book! This was one of the required reading books in my Coaching Certification Course. I refer back to it over and over - it's a great resource with a clear picture of what coaching is all about and lots of practical ideas and practices to enhance your coaching work.
Nada  Abandah
I particularly liked the "Wheel of Life" at the end of the book, and how it can be adapted to all different types of employees and their specific needs. Was the most useful bit of the book.
Lisa
May 29, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Finished this one and it definately has wet my appetite in the "coaching" discipline, enough that I've started a Coach training program and am working towards certification in that field.
Kathy
Feb 03, 2009 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: coaches, teachers, HR
Important book for anyone whose job involves coaching or motivating others. I met spent three days with Phillip Sandahl. He makes true coaching look easy.
Cara
recommended by Lach.

Seems like a good resource--Jonathan also recommended it--but I'm not doing this right now and have other fish to fry.
Abbie
Jul 17, 2011 Abbie rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! Great resource that I turn to for refreshers, inspiration, ideas, and the resources provided on the accompanying CD.
Triin
Aug 02, 2010 Triin rated it really liked it
Very good book for those who want to get into this area. Gives a good idea what coaching is about. Some very good practical exercises.
Rodney
Oct 28, 2008 Rodney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on coaching. It explains the process of coaching, asking questions to get the client to learn about themselves.
Kimberly Burnham
Apr 29, 2010 Kimberly Burnham rated it it was amazing
The information for health coaching is awesome in this book which also has a cd with audio and pdf files with lots of information
Daryl Watts
Aug 10, 2011 Daryl Watts rated it it was ok
Had to read this as a work related assignment. I learned some good principles, but it doesn't play to me personal giftedness.
Ray Edwards
Aug 12, 2012 Ray Edwards rated it really liked it
Tends to get a little esoteric, but for the most part a very practical guide to the coaching process.
Sue Pearson
A decent overview of the co-active coaching model, as taught at the Coaches training Institute.
Cheryl
Jan 07, 2012 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Shelves: life-coaching
One of those must-reads for life or business coaches (not sports coaches).
Jacquie
Nov 30, 2010 Jacquie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a wonderful book for anyone thinking about becoming a life coach.
Jonathan Cliff
May 19, 2009 Jonathan Cliff rated it it was ok
Currently required reading for my Spiritual Life Coaching training.
Hope
Jun 15, 2016 Hope rated it it was amazing
Its a complete package for coaching journey from CTI
Chris
Jan 08, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Excellent book for coaches with some useful resources.
Donloree Hoffman
Aug 09, 2012 Donloree Hoffman rated it it was amazing
Amazing resources for coaches. A must read!
Tami
Dec 24, 2012 Tami rated it really liked it
Very interesting textbook on life coaching.
  • The Portable Coach: 28 Sure Fire Strategies For Business And Personal Success
  • Coaching: Evoking Excellence in Others
  • Coaching Questions: A Coach's Guide to Powerful Asking Skills
  • Coaching with NLP: How to be a Master Coach
  • The Life Coaching Handbook: Everything You Need to Be an Effective Life Coach
  • Coaching For Performance: Growing People, Performance and Purpose
  • The Heart of Coaching: Using Transformational Coaching to Create a High-performance Coaching Culture
  • Becoming a Professional Life Coach: Lessons from the Institute of Life Coach Training
  • Co-Active Coaching: Changing Business, Transforming Lives
  • Executive Coaching with Backbone and Heart: A Systems Approach to Engaging Leaders with Their Challenges
  • Coaching with the Brain in Mind: Foundations for Practice
  • Immunity to Change: How to Overcome It and Unlock the Potential in Yourself and Your Organization
  • Taming Your Gremlin
  • Changing for Good: A Revolutionary Six-Stage Program for Overcoming Bad Habits and Moving Your Life Positively Forward
  • The Tao of Coaching: Boost Your Effectiveness at Work by Inspiring and Developing Those Around You
  • Taming Your Gremlin: A Surprisingly Simple Method for Getting Out of Your Own Way
  • Managing the Unexpected: Resilient Performance in an Age of Uncertainty
  • Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition