Start by marking “Thank You for the Days: A Boy's Own Adventures in Radio and Beyond” as Want to Read:
Thank You for the Days: A Boy's Own Adventures in Radio and Beyond

Thank You for the Days: A Boy's Own Adventures in Radio and Beyond

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  274 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Approaching 50, Mark Radcliffe decided to write about his life and his love of music. But crucially, he only wanted to write about the most interesting days and not the dull ones in between. From "The Day My Mother Hit Me With a Golf Club" to "The Day I Met the Band Who Changed My Life," he charts the peaks and troughs of his life and career with wit, panache, and insight....more
Published October 1st 2010 by Simon & Schuster UK (first published April 6th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Thank You for the Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thank You for the Days

Nigeyb
On the cover David Bowie states "Steal this book". Reason enough to read it. I also recently read and enjoyed Reelin' in the Years: The Soundtrack of a Northern Life another autobiographical book by Mark Radcliffe.

Mark Radcliffe is one of the good guys - a man who is passionate about music, down to earth, humorous and someone I would love to meet. This book is as predictably enjoyable as I knew it would be. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as Reelin' in the Years: The Soundtrack of a Northern Li...more
Mira
Having enjoyed Mark Radcliffe's Mark & Lard shows on Radio One and his book Showbusiness: Diary of a Rock 'n' Roll Nobody I knew this would be a good read.

Check out my YouTube review here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxvYF9...

DJ Yossarian
This made a great, random, late summer read -- humorous, not terribly demanding, peppered with anecdotes about meeting the likes of Kate Bush, Shane MacGowan, George Harrison, and working with the legendary and greatly missed John Peel. Not all of it hits the mark, but it's an entertaining read. Favorite bit: his comment that "The Beatles" was actually a pretty lame name for a group that had had such a profound influence on popular music, and that the Fab Four, rather than Genesis P Orridge &...more
Edmole
An easy read by a lovely man about a good life lived happily and well.
Alex
Jul 20, 2011 Alex rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mark Radcliffe fans only
At the top of the cover of this book it bears the legend "'Steal This Book !' - David Bowie". Good advice from the Dame there because you certainly wouldn't want to buy it.

The problem with this book for me was twofold; a) it wasn't about Mark Radcliffe's radio experiences as such, more like tales of his schooldays and situations he found himself in as a result of being a broadcaster, and b) listening to Mark waffle on during his radio shows is quite entertaining, but when it comes to reading him...more
Godzilla
I left bewildered by some of these other reviews:
"It's not as good as Pies and Prejudice" - er, well it's a memoir, not a cultural dissection/travelogue, so it's a different genre entirely!

I had found Mark Radcliffe slightly aloof before reading this book. Clearly now, this is in comparison to the other gushing DJs/media whores who populate our airwaves. He's still not got the warmth and fuzziness of John Peel, but then he was a one off.

There are some great tales, some genuine insights and a war...more
Rob
This is the literary equivalent of a friendly chat in the pub with the genial DJ, Mark Radcliffe. It aspires to be little more than a series of personal anecdotes that roughly, and in no specific order, chart his career through various radio stations. Themed loosely around the idea of key days in his life (e.g. the day I went to Kate Bush's house for cheese flan; the day I ruined a perfectly good suit) the stories he tells are generally entertaining, though as often as not a springboard for good...more
Vicky
I would actually give this a three and a half if I could. It's a lovely collection of anecdotes about Mark Radcliffe's life both on and off air. He's a warm and interesting chap and I enjoyed the book a great deal. A thoroughly nice guy, an honest account and an interesting read.

The anecdotes are not earth-shattering or sensational, but they are written in an amusing and entertaining way and portray Radcliffe as a pretty down-to-earth guy. I like an autobiography that makes you feel like you co...more
Derek Bridge
I've always enjoyed what Mark Radcliffe does ("talk in between records"), even if he does say um-err too much. I particularly liked the recent evening shows with Stuart Maconie and remain annoyed that they have been moved to an afternoon slot (although if it means less Noddy Holder it can only be a blessing). But I was even a fan of Mark's breakfast show, with Lard, and based my own game (Mad Or Sad) on theirs (Dobbins or Bobbins) - mine was much crueller.

So what am I saying?

I'm saying that Mar...more
Rachel Green
An enjoyable read - a collection of mostly music related stories (some of which are very amusing).Its a good read - would recommend.
Neil
As a longtime fan of Radcliffe, this book was an utter delight, just like having the man himself sitting next to you telling you stories. Particularly love the Mark and Lard as goth undertakers meeting Tony Blair story!
Devronius
Thoroughly pleasant, often very funny and fluffy memoir.
Graham Hughes
An enjoyable, often hilarious collection of anecdotes from the life and career of one of Britain's better music presenters over the last 20 years or so.
In his writing, as well as his broadcasting, Radcliffe sometimes rambles a little (though at least we're spared the 'erm, er, ...' interjections in print); he also occasionally lapses into cliche. Altogether, though, he comes across as warm, likeable, funny and refreshingly ego-free, and his tales are well worth reading.
Tresor
I was hooked from the first few sentences when I read about Mark's love affair with Dr Feelgood - takes me back to my teenage years when I saw Dr Feelgood (a few times) at Cheltenham Town Hall. I guess it's because he's one of my contemporaries that I enjoy this book and his radio show so much, along with the fact that we seem to share a pretty similar musical taste. The book is like the radio show - warm and funny. What more could anyone want?
Kendra Levine
This book isn't great, but it's certainly entertaining. Radcliffe really conveys his affection for the "days" in the book and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. If you like British music from Dr. Feelgood to now, and if you liked Mark and Lard, then you will probably like this book.
Kahn
A simply wonderful collection of tales from Mark's life, both on and off the radio. Heart-warming, at times thought provoking, but always laugh-out-loud funny. Superb.
Louise
Some good stories, however some weren't that interesting. I liked learning about his appearance on Stars in Their Eyes though,and he remained witty throughout.
Tom Bevan
As witty and warm as he comes across on air- very enjoybale, easy reading for pre- bedtime. What a great life he has had as a DJ...
Ted
Great stories and insights into the life of a true music fan and broadcaster. One of the most naturally funny broadcasters on the radio.
Bethnoir
An uplifting and entertaining book which manages to convey emotional events without being mawkish. I enjoyed it very much.
Elaine
Better than expected! Interesting stories esp when you have heard Mark on the radio lots when I lived in England.

John
I found this was to much like a copy of Stuart Maconie. However nowhere near as good as Pies and Predjuduce
Vivienne Smith
Enjoyable light read, although the chapter on the day he got his first guitar had me blubbing.
James
Face wettingly funny, actually brought tears to my eyes I was laughing that much!
A good read if you're a fan of Mark Radcliffe's work. Very enjoyable.
Mary
Interesting if you remember Mark and Lard!
Colin Lowndes
Witty, dry, acerbic, brilliant!
Jane
Has me laughing my socks off!
Chet
Chet marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
  • Bad Vibes: Britpop and My Part in Its Downfall
  • Bit of a Blur: The Autobiography
  • Renegade
  • The Dark Tourist
  • Be My Baby: How I Survived Mascara, Miniskirts, and Madness, or My Life As a Fabulous Ronette
  • It's Not What You Think
  • How I Escaped My Certain Fate
  • Punk Rock: An Oral History
  • Things The Grandchildren Should Know
Showbusiness: Diary of a Rock 'n' Roll Nobody Reelin' in the Years: The Soundtrack of a Northern Life Northern Sky The Mark Radcliffe Show Wayward Daughter: An Official Biography Of Eliza Carthy