Start by marking “One Grave Less (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #9)” as Want to Read:
One Grave Less (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #9)

One Grave Less (Diane Fallon #9)

Forensic anthropologist Diane Fallon has tried to put the past behind her, establishing herself as head of the River Trail Museum of Natural History. Late one night at the museum, Diane hears terrified cries and finds an injured man-a former coworker from her time as a human rights activist in South America.

Left with a body, a bone, and a cryptic message, Diane has to di
Published December 7th 2010 by NAL (first published December 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about One Grave Less, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Grave Less

Bigd_041555
May 31, 2015 Bigd_041555 rated it it was amazing
A perfect series of books for me - so glad I read all the books.

This particular books had 2 separate stories that eventually merged into one. The first story starts out in the Amazon jungle about a woman that has been kidnapped. The second story takes place in Rosewood, North Carolina featuring our main character, Diane Fallon. Every couple of chapters the scenario changes - first the jungle for a chapter or 2, then Rosewood for a chapter or 2, then repeat.

Diane Fallon is the target again, only
Elvan
Aug 17, 2015 Elvan rated it it was amazing
Two stories running parallel and each is well paced and entertaining. What a great way to end a series. I enjoyed this author's creative imagination from Book 1 through book 9. Sure the plots are over the top and the odds of a tornado coming in handy in real life are slim to nil. Who cares. This is escapist fiction at its most fun. Connor is not writing the next Pulitzer Prize literary masterpiece. She is writing for readers who want to be entertained. Mission accomplished.

Samantha
Linda
Apr 19, 2013 Linda rated it liked it
I really thought she was ending the series, as a lot of things get tied up here, but according to Novelist, there's another one in the works. It was pretty good, but I enjoyed the early ones better. And who ever did the blurb on the back cover should really have read the book first, or at least paid attention to the sex of the first assault victim.
Betty
Sep 07, 2012 Betty rated it really liked it
Excellent read! Two stories going at the same time that - each so interesting that you don't want to put the book down. When the two stories do converge the twists don't stop coming. Would definitely recommend it. I read it in large print and it was over 600 pages but short chapter to encourage to read just one more before putting down.
Dolf Patijn
The story was a bit over the top and far fetched. Still a pageturner and worth reading but not her best imho.
Louise Parr
Mar 03, 2011 Louise Parr rated it really liked it
Yet another in this excellent series. Don't start with this book, go back to the beginning.
Cindy
Aug 12, 2011 Cindy rated it really liked it
Let me start off by saying that I absolutely love this series! I have been hooked ever since I read her first book, One Grave Too Many. Diane is the type of heroine that I like to read about. She has a strong personality and can handle herself in just about any situation. She takes a beating and keeps on ticking to use a saying from an old commercial. For those interested: very little foul language and sex is only hinted at.

Truthfully I thought that this book started out a little slow. Her books
Susan
Jun 15, 2012 Susan rated it liked it
Throughout this series, forensic anthropologist Diane Fallon has been haunted by a massacre that took place when she was in South America investigating human rights abuses. She lost her adopted daughter and returned in shock to Georgia. Now she discovers Simone Brooks, a colleague from those days, lying injured on the floor of the crime lab that Diane directs at the Museum of Natural History. In the few words she is able to say, Simone reveals that a person they trusted in South America was resp ...more
Mary Beth
Jan 22, 2011 Mary Beth rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sarah and Grace
Shelves: mystery
Wow, I just can't say enough about Beverly Connor. She is an amazing author. I read her books with such enjoyment.

This is an exciting book. It is written from two perspectives, one character is a mystery throughout most of the book. You are not sure who she is until the book is almost over, but the reveal is so worth it. And the other perspective is from Diane. There is also the wonderful addition of a new character. The book is written in alternating shifts of the characters perspectives and i
Schnaucl
Three and a half stars.

This is undoubtedly my fault for coming in so late to a series but I felt like I was coming in late to a series. That is to say I felt like there were people I should have known more about and I wasn't sure how much I was supposed to care about the central mystery. Were the events in South America something that had been covered or at least touched on in other books? I have no idea.

The premise is very reminiscent of Bones, although just from this one book I much prefer Con
Debbie
Aug 22, 2015 Debbie rated it really liked it
This was an interesting book. It was about a mistaken identity and a lost child. Dianne's life is turned upside down when her child is taken from her. She is now trying to move on with her life and is trying to establish herself as the head of The River Trail Museum of Natural History. She hears a cry of terror and finds a body which then leads to her life unraveling around her.
Rachel
May 09, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing
As many of you know, when I rate a book it is almost entirely on how engaging and enjoyable it is. This book was all I hoped for and more. When I read the first book (which was recommended by my sister) I asked her an innocent question. Her answer led me to binge read this series so I could find out what happened in the most recent book, One Grave Less. I read 3 books in about 2 days, and finally I couldn't wait any longer and instead of reading the next book in que (Scattered Graves), I skipped ...more
Jackie
Jan 31, 2012 Jackie rated it really liked it
Unpleasant language aside (I just cannot abide the constant use of the "f" word - so unnecessary!) I found this to be a real page turner. I don't remember reading anything by this author before - that makes me late to this series - but I did enjoy it.

Little Ariel was just a bit "too" for me - unbelievably smart, good, kind, unaffected, brave and on and on. Still, I found that I liked her.

The back and forth between sets of characters was fun - many chapters ending in cliffhangers. I do think it
Taylor Tyler
Jun 02, 2016 Taylor Tyler rated it really liked it
This was a great end to the Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation Series (as of right now). There were areas in the plot that I found over the top or just a little too unbelievable, which prevents this from getting 5 stars.

However, once I just went along for the ride and stopped critiquing the authors choice of plot line and twists, I found it very enjoyable. One of the main problems I have with this author is she tends to drag out scenes prior to the climax and rush the ending, which I feel she
Alex Cunningham
Jan 19, 2016 Alex Cunningham rated it it was amazing
I chose this book because I enjoy the mystery and action in it. It has people trying to escape the jungle and make it home from the bad people trying to kill them.

I believe Cooper Hewitt would like this book because all the books that I have taken from his house I have liked too.
Bgrass Chic
Aug 24, 2014 Bgrass Chic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book

Another great book

I love the Diane Fallon books. This one was so uplifting. It filled a gap that Beverly Connor needed to fill to make this character complete.
John Shipman
Sep 13, 2015 John Shipman rated it it was amazing
I've only read the first book in this series, and unfortunately for me if this series falls in line, then now I know the overall outcome. This one brought tears to my eyes at the end. That's all I'll be able to say without a spoiler alert... Read it.
Gigi
Feb 26, 2015 Gigi rated it really liked it
Beverly Connor has developed an interesting, strong character in Diane Fallon. Look forward to more in this series.
Phillipa
Sep 04, 2016 Phillipa rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
Perhaps it is because it has been so long since I read the rest of the series (took me a while to get my hands on this one, the last), but I enjoyed this one more than I remember enjoying some of the others.

Yes, it is still annoying how much Diane Fallon is attacked in her home and work (her insurance must be thru the roof!), but this one felt like there was more of a realistic reason behind it. Although I did feel, that when it actually came together, it was quite weak. This one was less about
Katherine P
Jul 28, 2011 Katherine P rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-read, 2011
Love Connor's books. The story is always fascinating and she does a good balance of science with action. It reminds me more of the television series Bones than any of Reich's books. I liked the two perspectives throughout the book and it was nice to not have all the focus on Fallon. Diane Fallon has a tendancy to be superwoman. She's had experience in everything and is an expert in everything to the point it stretches crediability. This was not my favorite in this series but it was really nice t ...more
Jill
Oct 30, 2015 Jill rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic book, it has it all.
CindyLulu
Dec 19, 2010 CindyLulu rated it it was amazing
April
Apr 24, 2011 April rated it it was amazing
Barb
Sep 17, 2012 Barb rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars for all connor's books, enjoyable, easy read, interesting tidbits of info seep into narrative, enough mystery and intrigue to keep you going, and an interesting character in fallon - part kick ass investigator and half vulnerable woman with a tragic loss. i would recommend you read in order. have fun.
Erin
Aug 14, 2011 Erin rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-thriller
It looks like I don't agree with the majority of readers, but I could not get into this book. I think it was the first one I read in this series - maybe I just was reading it at the wrong time, maybe I wasn't in the mood to be engaged by the characters....... couldn't even finish it.
Babsji5
Mar 01, 2013 Babsji5 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Brings in the main character from another series she writes, Lindsey Chamberlin. Unlike previous books is told in alternating voices, one of the characters being in Georgia, and another being in South America. It still has the nonstop action of her previous works, and forensic bent.
Laurie
Apr 27, 2011 Laurie rated it really liked it
I loved that Diane Fallon and Lindsey Chambers were both in this book! That was a great surprise. I really enjoyed reading this book and had a really hard time putting it down. Lots of action in this one!
Louise Armstrong
Jul 31, 2011 Louise Armstrong rated it did not like it
I do like the the idea of strong female characters, but the plot was full of holes that you could fly a friend's private jet through should a storm stop all the phones in America working!!!
Brenda Kirton
This was so good. You have to read it. The suspense, deadly adventures and above all the great ending. Bad thing is now I am done this series. Please Beverly write more.
  • Shiny Water (Michael Stone, #1)
  • Mercy Kill (Mercy Gunderson Mystery, #2)
  • Grave Consequences (An Emma Fielding Mystery #2)
  • Revenant (Zoe Martinique, #4)
  • Flowers for Her Grave (Grim Reaper Mystery, #3)
  • Shooting Stars and Other Deadly Things (Carrie Carlin - Book 3)
  • The Alpine Winter (Emma Lord, #23)
  • To Wish or Not to Wish (As You Wish, #3)
  • Dead Creek
  • The Bone Thief (Body Farm, #5)
  • Dead Dry (Em Hansen Mystery, #10)
  • The Double Cross (Someday Quilts Mystery, #3)
  • Devil May Ride (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #2)
  • Murder by Yew (Edna Davies, #1)
  • Introducing Agatha Raisin: The Quiche of Death/The Vicious Vet
  • Cat Coming Home (Joe Grey, #16)
I'm Beverly Connor and I love archaeology. I worked in Georgia and South Carolina as an archaeologist doing both fieldwork and analyzing artifacts. I also love mysteries. I combined these two loves and now write mysteries in which I weave my professional experience as an archaeologist into stories of murder and intrigue in both my Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation series and Lindsay Chamberlain ...more
More about Beverly Connor...

Diane Fallon (9 books)
  • One Grave Too Many (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #1)
  • Dead Guilty (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #2)
  • Dead Secret (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #3)
  • Dead Past (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #4)
  • Dead Hunt (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #5)
  • Scattered Graves (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #6)
  • Dust to Dust (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #7)
  • The Night Killer (Diane Fallon, #8)