Start by marking “I Love a Cop: What Police Families Need to Know” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
I Love a Cop: What Pol...

Ellen Kirschman

I Love a Cop: What Police Families Need to Know

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Nothing worth doing is easy--and that includes loving a cop. Being a member of the law enforcement community is a source of pride for officers and families alike. But long hours, unpredictable shifts, and the crisis-driven nature of the profession can turn life on the home front into an emotional roller coaster ride. Dr. Ellen Kirschman, a psychologist who's worked with po ...more
ebook, Revised, 340 pages
Published December 16th 2006 by Guilford Publications (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about I Love a Cop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Love a Cop

Phillip
My son is graduating from the police academy tomorrow at Ada, Oklahoma. I picked up this book a few months ago when saw it on a list of Goodreads recommendations.

The book is written by a psychologist who works with police. The purpose of the book is to give the family of police officers an understanding about the nature of the work of law enforcement. The job is demanding and the book describes what the loved ones of an officer should expect throughout his or her career so that emotional support
Kate
I thought this book was depressing since it focuses on all the bad sides of being in a relationship with a cop. This would be a good read if you are having issues, but if your relationship is fine then I would skip it.
Tiffy
Kristina
No, I do not in fact love a cop. I don't even know any cops outside of the criminal justice classes I have taken. I read this book in my desire to understand more about the police mentality, psychology, and the relationships they have with their families.

To me this book felt more life a self-help relationship book with a little bit of focus on how some cop families have dealt with some of the same situations other families have dealt with; crazy schedules, alcoholism, abuse, and stress. There w
Tara Carter
A must read for police officers and their families. The author explains the stresses that all officer's face on a daily basis that most people would not think about. Certain sections to not pertain to everyone but are there to help those in need during certain times of their career. Keep this one on the shelf for when you need a little guidance or need to work out issues with an officer you care about.
Helene Keating
Enjoyed this book. Useful tips for families that have loved ones in law enforcement field.
Was given this book by my son's Police Academy advisor who is currently a State Police Officer
and good friend of mine. The information was insightful and gave a "bigger picture " of all that
is evolved with the mental and physical demands that this profession brings to the home life and gave me a greater respect and knowledge on how to deal with different situations . Not only dealing with my son but also w
Yvonne
Must read for anyone (wife, adult children, parents, siblings etc.) involved with law enforcement.
Skylar Burris
This book is intended to help law enforcement officers and their spouses to understand the special challenges to family life and marriage that come with the job. It seemed quite accurate in its analysis of what challenges life as a cop (or the spouse of a cop) can entail and of why these challenges arise. Unfortunately, it did not contain quite as much useful information on how, specifically, to confront those challenges successfully, and there were some issues that I felt did not get enough att ...more
Geri
Aug 24, 2008 Geri rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every criminal justice worker & their families & friends
This should be required reading for every criminal justice worker & their families & friends. No one, except cops, will know what it's truly like to lay your life on the line every single day...and love doing it. I've given or recommended this book to the spouses of cops in my family. While I don't live with a cop, I love 'em! And whether you love them, hate them or fear them, after reading this book, I guarantee you will never see cops in the same way again.
Emily
Generally this book is good for everyone in a police family to read, but it is better if you have experienced or are experiencing problems that the book addresses (i.e. alcohol related issues, being a female cop, etc.). As someone new to the policing world, the first few chapters were very helpful (in particular, what to expect and identifying the myths of policing); the 2nd half of the book was pretty specific and would probably be a useful go-to reference down the road.
Zinaid
I felt ill equipped to deal with the coming changes as I moved in with two LEO roommates. I skipped around and made countless of notes. While it didn't make the fears go away I certainly feel like I can now embrace the job and it's challenges. It has helped me come up with my own "guide" so I'm better equipped to deal with the up and down moods my cops have and will experience throughout their career. ~therapy talk.
Jason
I was deeply disappointed in this book. What I read felt like the Hollywood perception of police officers and how terrible everything about thier lives and jobs are. The only good thing I got was a comment about how police officers like "burst information". Short and to the point, get the info out like as if you were talking on the radio. Otherwise I thought this book sucked.
Tery
Common sense to me (and therefore of no use) - but perhaps useful for someone with less life experience
Sousygirl
I'm learning about what it might be like when Jason gets into full swing with his department. A lot of the scenarios are worst case examples. I'm trying to take them all with a grain of salt and not be freaked out that Jason will exhibit all of these negative feelings/actions. Good information to have though.
Kmbing
We're a new police family so a lot of what this book has to offer does not apply to our situation right now. It's also not really a book to read all the way through. It's more of a book to read specific chapters if God forbid your family ends up in one of the sad situations this book outlines
Michelle S
A must read for anyone who has a loved one in law enforcement and perhaps the military. It provides valuable insight as to the obstacles that cops deal with. "Armed" with this information I found myself better equipped to handle these issues when my husband came home each night
Nicole
Aug 25, 2008 Nicole rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cops, Cop Spouses, Cop parents
Shelves: own
A very important book for anyone involved in any way with a cop. I will definitely keep this book on my bookshelf forever as it will be a good to turn to and reference when events happen later in my life. Covers everything you need to know.
Alena
This was a very insightful and helpful book for understanding the psychology of police work and how it relates to family. Also there was information shared that was good and practical advice that one can apply to any relationship.
Jennie
I think this book is probably helpful to many, so I'm giving it 3 stars. I grew up in a police family, though, so was familiar with many of the concepts before my husband entered his academy. It's not harmful to read, though, for sure.
Nicole
This book is a great reference book. I'm glad I read it since my boyfriend is currently in the police academy. The book is very blunt and to the point on some pressing issues that face many police families today.
If you are married to a cop, girlfriend of a cop you have to read this. This book has a lot that you can add to and remember about being in a relationship to a cop.
Leah Palmer
A nice read, skimmed some of it over because it wasn't releavant to us, but overall would recommend to families involved in law enforecement.
Kayla Erickson
My husband will be working for Tampa police, and this book was more of a resource book. It was interesting to learn what to expect.
Tonya
Oct 29, 2007 Tonya rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Officer's Wives
Being married to an officer, this book really answered many of my questions. A great read for those ladies who are married to officers.
Jen Gunderson
For police families -- good overview on a career in law enforcement and implications for family life.
Melanie Harper rojas
Good Information. I recommend this book to anyone who is married to someone in law enforcement
Nichole Niklewicz
Working in law enforcement I think some of this I already knew, but some of it has good insight.
Josie
Dec 03, 2011 Josie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
So far... spectacular and dead on for what life is like for the family of a cop.
Lynli
ANYBODY who loves a cop needs to read this book. There is nothing more to say.
Bibliovixen
Jun 20, 2015 Bibliovixen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personallibrary
I bought this a part of my continual learning as a counselor.
  • True Blue: Police Stories by Those Who Have Lived Them
  • Emotional Survival for Law Enforcement: A Guide for Officers and Their Families
  • Police Procedure & Investigation: A Guide for Writers
  • Should I Stay or Should I Go?: A Guide to Knowing if Your Relationship Can--and Should--be Saved
  • Body Trauma: A Writer's Guide to Wounds and Injuries
  • Games Criminals Play: How You Can Profit by Knowing Them
  • Vice: One Cop's Story of Patrolling America's Most Dangerous City
  • The Criminal Mind
  • Raising Resilient Children: Fostering Strength, Hope, and Optimism in Your Child
  • Falling in Love for All the Right Reasons: How to Find Your Soul Mate
  • Smoke and Mirrors: The War on Drugs and the Politics of Failure
  • Digital Barbarism: A Writer's Manifesto
  • Anonymous Rex / Casual Rex
  • It Wasn't Your Fault: Freeing Yourself from the Shame of Childhood Abuse with the Power of Self-Compassion
  • Gardening For Dummies
  • Three Felonies a Day: How the Feds Target the Innocent
  • Angela and Diabola
  • Blind: A Memoir
I've been a police and public safety psychologist for thirty-plus years, before I had any gray hair. My work with first responders has taken me to four countries and twenty-two states.

Nowadays, I spend my time writing, teaching, and volunteering as a clinician at the West Coast Post Trauma Retreat for first responders (see the links page). I Love a Cop: What Police Families Need to Know was my fi
More about Ellen Kirschman...
Burying Ben (A Dot Meyerhoff Mystery) I Love a Fire Fighter: What the Family Needs to Know Counseling Cops: What Clinicians Need to Know The Right Wrong Thing