Start by marking “Growing Up Global: Raising Children to Be At Home in the World” as Want to Read:
Growing Up Global: Raising Children to Be At Home in the World

Growing Up Global: Raising Children to Be At Home in the World

In today’s increasingly interconnected world, how do we prepare our children to succeed and to become happy, informed global citizens? A mother of three, Homa Sabet Tavangar has spent her career helping governments develop globally oriented programs and advising businesses on how to thrive abroad. In Growing Up Global, Tavangar shares with all of us her “parenting toolbox” ...more
Published August 25th 2009 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Growing Up Global, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Growing Up Global

Ardyth
May 03, 2016 Ardyth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful! Filled with resources and ideas to incorporate global awareness into life at home or school. From simple to sophisticated, from small daily changes to films and projects, great for parents or teachers whose kids range anywhere between preschool and high school senior year.

Worth owning so you can refer to it - and use its ideas - often.
Lindsey
I ended up skimming over a lot of this book. It has a holier-than-thou tone to it which annoyed me. There was also a lot of information that just didn't interest me. I did, however, find value in her list of foreign films for kids and books that can help kids gain a more global perspective.
Rachel
Jan 05, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: global
Read this hoping to get some good ideas for work, but it really is intended as more of a home manual--things families can do together to build a more global outlook/awareness of other cultures. Tons of great ideas, some much easier than others unless you have a lot of time on your hands.

Was a little disappointed with the few references to the "Far East" that were included (And does anyone still call it the Far East? Wouldn't East Asia be more PC?), but overall I did come away with a much greater
Mark V
Sep 09, 2012 Mark V rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't read it cover-to-cover, juust went through and read the chapters that jumped out at me. Lots of good ideas, but I'd love to meet the people who have enought free time to commit to all of this. Enjoyable and inspiring or guilt inducing, depending on the week you're having.
Christine
Aug 23, 2013 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, non-fiction
Neat book about creating global awareness and knowledge for your kids and family. Full of ideas and resources. Would have been great to have around when the girls were younger. The section on world music helped me discover I really like Brazilian bossanova.
Laurene Jewell
Aug 30, 2010 Laurene Jewell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family
Gives a lot of great recommendations and things to think about and fun things to do for ones family. I will definitely be referencing this book for the future.
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2010
Rebecca Sumption
Rebecca Sumption rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Katie Loftin
Katie Loftin rated it really liked it
May 18, 2016
Tawnee
Tawnee rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2014
Paisley
Paisley rated it really liked it
May 07, 2012
Alicia
Alicia rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2014
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Giusi
Giusi rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2015
Sarah rated it it was ok
Jun 23, 2011
Anya
Anya rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2012
Allison
Allison rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2011
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
May 16, 2015
Kolya
Kolya rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2014
Carmen
Carmen rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2016
Gabe
Gabe rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was ok
May 14, 2015
Hannah Trail
Hannah Trail rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2016
Stacy
Stacy rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2012
Alice
Alice rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2012
Jeramy
Jeramy rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2012
Erin
Aug 16, 2016 Erin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm about half-way through, so far.
Leila Gates
Leila Gates rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2010
Craig M. Runkle
Craig M. Runkle rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Rewired: Understanding the iGeneration and the Way They Learn
  • The Book of Learning and Forgetting
  • The Good School: How Smart Parents Get Their Kids the Education They Deserve
  • That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week: Helping Disorganized and Distracted Boys Succeed in School and Life
  • How to Get Your Child to Love Reading
  • Teaching Digital Natives: Partnering for Real Learning
  • The Eco-nomical Baby Guide: Down-to-Earth Ways for Parents to Save Money and the Planet
  • Ideas That Changed the World
  • A Joyful Mother of Children: The Magic and Mayhem of Motherhood
  • The Hour That Matters Most: The Surprising Power of the Family Meal
  • The Power of Our Words: Teacher Language That Helps Children Learn
  • The Homework Myth: Why Our Kids Get Too Much of a Bad Thing
  • The Motivation Breakthrough: 6 Secrets to Turning On the Tuned-Out Child
  • 5 Spiritual Solutions for Everyday Parenting Challenges
  • In Our Backyard: Human Trafficking in America and What We Can Do to Stop It
  • Catching Up or Leading the Way: American Education in the Age of Globalization
  • 21st Century Skills: Learning for Life in Our Times