Start by marking “Climate War” as Want to Read:
Climate War

Climate War

In "The Climate War, " Eric Pooley--deputy editor of "Bloomberg BusinessWeek"--does for global warming what Bob Woodward did for presidents and Lawrence Wright did for terrorists. In this epic tale of an American civil war, Pooley takes us behind the scenes and into the hearts and minds of the most important players in the struggle to cap global warming pollution--a fight ...more
Published June 8th 2010 by Hyperion (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Climate War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Climate War

Mark
Jan 19, 2011 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: political
A book about the politics of climate change, not the science. Centers around a few environmental and corporate leaders willing to grudgingly compromise with each other over the years (who achieve progress comparable to a snail in a hamster wheel), but also follows many other players including extremists on all sides and the Bush and Obama administrations. It does a decent job of treating everyone fairly, with the understanding that fairly does not mean "in the most positive light". The ...more
Ryan
Aug 12, 2010 Ryan rated it it was amazing
Started reading the Climate War after seeing Eric Pooley interview a few Environmental Defense Fund senior staff at an event recently, and he signed a book for me. After recently starting a job in the climate science world, I thought a book that covers the recent history of efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions would be very useful. It absolutely was - there's been scientific consensus for decades that we're making the planet warmer, but scientists don't make policy. Therefore the main ...more
Joan
Mar 24, 2011 Joan rated it really liked it
This is a very important book since it catches people who want to understand the "climate wars" background information. While well written and very informative, it gives almost too much detail about events that transpired. Ultimately, I'm glad it did, since it lead to better understanding of what has gone on and what will need to happen, but it made for difficult reading. I'd say the single most important fact I got from this is the fact that the PR people who were hired by tobacco companies to ...more
Eric Roston
Journalism with principles: epic in scale, masterful in narrative and detail, with well-paced winks at the tragic absurdity of it all.
Stuart
Jan 01, 2011 Stuart rated it really liked it
The Climate War is probably the best book on climate change that I've read. It's not about the science of global warming - a topic that makes even me yawn - but rather the inside game of creating climate laws - in particular, cap and trade of carbon - in the US. The story begins in the late 1980s with the promotion of cap and trade legislation for sulfate emissions by the EDF and the idea that what worked with acid rain could also work for climate.

Scaling cap and trade up from acid rain - which
Brandon
Mar 29, 2013 Brandon rated it really liked it
There is a lot "The Climate War" did right, but there is one big warning I should give before you pick up this book: It is chock-full of facts, quotes, people, statistics, legislation and policy... and therefore reads a bit like a textbook. But, if you're OK with that, and interested in climate policy, then this book is a remarkable look back at the global crisis.

"The Climate War" really does start at the beginning of the climate debate, when the first scientists were figuring out what was happe
Pete D'angelo
Mar 21, 2012 Pete D'angelo rated it really liked it
this is a book about the politics of climate change, not the science. it is well written, and the author is very knowledgeable about the major political events around this issue over the last few decades. i found it incredibly disheartening to get this view into the political process. having pretty much given up on the ability of our legislators to pass any significant bill around all but the least contentious issues, this book validated that mindset. maybe it's because i earn a significant ...more
David
Jun 27, 2010 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
Excellent history of the past 15-20 years of environmental legislation in the US, but focuses mainly on the last 4 years or so and the attempt to deal with climate change. The book follows the long career of Environmental Defense Fund's (EDF) CEO Fred Krupp who was instrumental in getting legislation passed to curb acid rain and ozone pollution. Another key player is Jim Rogers, CEO of Duke Energy, who is trying to bring industry to the political table to deal with climate change. Then there is ...more
Rachel Kahn
Jun 17, 2011 Rachel Kahn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the book to be rather interesting. I was not aware of the politics and how self-serving so many different interests are, and how that reflects upon our legislative system. I hope that in the future, we can look past this and decide what is best for our collective country-not just as a group of individuals who happen to live by each other.

The book also kept reiterating that climate change and the politics around it was based on "geology, not ideology." I found this to be particularly int
Jesse Young
Mar 23, 2015 Jesse Young rated it really liked it
A really fantastic account of the effort to put a price on carbon up through the Copenhagen summit in 2009. Pooley is hardly an objective observer -- he's a clear cheerleader for the climate change movement. That said, he has a really solid grasp on the players and the substance of the issues. He's not shy about his affection for Fred Krupp and the team at EDF, which warps his perspective mildly -- rarely does he view any of EDF's actions as ill-advised. One of the book's strengths is how far it ...more
Joan
Mar 25, 2011 Joan rated it really liked it
This was very detailed and a bit difficult to read. However, I found it quite interesting especially in the following fact: Many of the PR types who worked for the tobacco companies delaying the conclusion that tobacco is bad for you then went to work for the climate deniers' groups doing exactly the same spinning of lies. If only for that vital info, I would recommend this book! It gives a lot of background that should be known if you're trying to find out about the subject.
Luke Lavin
Feb 14, 2014 Luke Lavin rated it liked it
On the plus side, it's a very engaging read. Further, it gives you a sense of how much work and politicking it really requires to (almost) get big legislation done in Washington.

On the minus side, Pooley is so blatantly partisan about a few issues that this book is anything but a balanced story. Sure, there are plenty he criticizes who deserve criticism (e.g. Inhofe et. al.), but I'm not sure this is a story best told by a Gore/EDF sycophant.
Kory
Mar 22, 2012 Kory rated it really liked it
So far it is very interesting! The politics surrounding the debate of CO2 emissions is incredibly interesting and this book provides a very interesting non partisan narrative of America's movement towards a greener future! I am required to read this for class but I have found no problems meeting the required reading deadlines of this book.
Dan
Aug 30, 2010 Dan rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book. As far as non-fiction goes, this is compelling. It probably requires a significant interest in environmental politics, but assuming that pre-requisite is fulfilled, you'll enjoy Eric Pooley's behind the scenes experience with scientists, politicians, industry leaders, and lobbyist as they navigate on either side of the polarizing issue of climate change. Top notch.
Chad S
Dec 30, 2011 Chad S rated it liked it
Fascinating account of the political considerations surrounding climate change legislation. Especially focuses on 2007-early 2010. A bit dry, but, if you are wondering why the US government has failed to pass bills addressing carbon pollution and resultant climate change, I highly recommend this account.
Andrea McDowell
Amazing book. I now know far more than I thought it was possible to know about why the US can't pass a piece of climate change legislation to save its soul ... or its water tables, agriculture, forestry industry and future citizenry, as the case may be. Depressing, illuminating, inspiring, and exhausting.
Tharindu Magedara
Sep 24, 2016 Tharindu Magedara rated it really liked it
Gave me a better understanding of uphill tasks faced by politicians, activists and corporate CEOs who genuinely want to do something about Climate change. After reading this I have increased admiration and appreciation for people like Al Gore and Krupp.
Sean
Jan 07, 2011 Sean rated it it was amazing
More writers need to make the knowledge in this book public... specifically in journals and magazines. But this book addresses why that isn't possible. It is a eye opening read!
Maddy Yozwiak
Mar 23, 2013 Maddy Yozwiak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An overlooked classic. Reveals a lot about the inner politics surrounding climate change, and quite well-written.
Pat Gibson
Sep 09, 2012 Pat Gibson rated it it was amazing
This book is making me very angry! If we keep doing what we are doing, our grandchildren may have to live in caves and eat fungus!
Fleming Voetmann
Fleming Voetmann rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2015
Holland
Holland rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2012
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2015
Brad
Brad rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2010
Arci
Arci rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2015
Kiley
Kiley rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2011
Trey Lord
Trey Lord rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2011
Ldolse
Ldolse rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2012
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • With Speed and Violence: Why Scientists Fear Tipping Points in Climate Change
  • The Weather of the Future
  • Climate Cover-Up: The Crusade to Deny Global Warming
  • World on the Edge: How to Prevent Environmental and Economic Collapse
  • The Tyranny of Oil: The World's Most Powerful Industry--and What We Must Do to Stop It
  • A World Without Ice
  • Blind Allegiance to Sarah Palin: A Memoir of Our Tumultuous Years
  • Presidential Anecdotes
  • The Upside of Down: Catastrophe, Creativity and the Renewal of Civilization
  • Revival: The Struggle for Survival Inside the Obama White House
  • The Great Warming: Climate Change and the Rise and Fall of Civilizations
  • Disunion: Modern Historians Revisit and Reconsider the Civil War from Lincoln's Election to the Emancipation Proclamation
  • Beyond Peace
  • The Audacity to Win: How Obama Won and How We Can Beat the Party of Limbaugh, Beck, and Palin
  • Nixon's Darkest Secrets: The Inside Story of America's Most Troubled President
  • My Soul Is Rested: Movement Days in the Deep South Remembered