Start by marking “The Rogue's Return” as Want to Read:
The Rogue's Return

The Rogue's Return (Company of Rogues #12)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  701 ratings  ·  35 reviews
After years living in the new world of Canada, Simon St. Bride is ready to return to aristocratic life in England. But his plans are delayed by a duel and a young woman he feels honor-bound to marry, knowing that his family is unlikely to welcome her. For despite her beauty and seeming innocence, Jane Otterburn is hesitant to speak of her enigmatic past... Then treachery s ...more
Published March 1st 2006 by Signet Book

To ask other readers questions about The Rogue's Return, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rogue's Return

Cameron
It's rather sad when the hero of a romance is so much more likable than the heroine; especially when you keep thinking to yourself every time she questions their relationship something along the lines of, "no, you don't deserve him. Just throw yourself overboard already."
Ana T.
It's been a while since I had read the other Rogue books but after reading Hazard and enjoying it so much I couldn't resist picking up the other Beverley's I had in the TBR pile. The first one was this story, the story of Simon St Bride who, when the story opens, is in America investigating a case of misappropriation of money. He has made himself quite a few enemies and one of them questions one of his friend's honour leading him to challenge him to a duel.

The duel ends up being interrupted and
Elis Madison
Simon St. Bride is a rescuer, so when a dying friend begs him to marry his orphaned niece, Simon agrees. Problem: He has dirt on some bad guys in Canada and the bad guys don't want him getting home to England with his info.

Jane Otterburn loves Simon, so part of her is aux anges over this marriage of convenience. But the more practical side of her sees problems. Lots of problems.

CONVOLUTED BACKSTORY ALERT

Jane is really Jancy, Jane's bastard sister. When Jane's mum died the two girls were sent t
Kathy
Love the Canadian setting in the first half of the book. A nice mystery subplot, too.
Patricia
A standard Jo Beverley book.
Which means dynamic interactions between a number of exciting characters, each as detailed as necessary - but no more than needed. The book does not get bogged down in unnecessary detail, contains an excellent supporting staff, and a goodly dose of suspense. When the ship-board villain was revealed, my mouth fell open for a moment!
This book is the romance of Simon St Bride, at the beginning of the book just a standard "mister." His bride to be is as low-born as possib
Ilze
Wow! The first Regency romance I've encountered that could officially qualify as CanLit (Canadian Literature), having both a Canadian author and a Canadian setting for a significant portion the book.

The story starts in Canada, in old "muddy York", which eventually became the city of Toronto, the area where I have lived for most of my life, so the book gets a star for that. Nicely portrayed, too. The story is not much of a romance per se, since the heroine loves the hero right from the start and
Jeanne
When her half-sister dies on their voyage to Canada, Nan (born Jancy) claims to be Jane. She's worried that Jane's mother's brother won't have anything to do with her if he knows she's his brother-in-laws bastard child.

Simon's in Canada, staying with the Isaiah, the uncle, while trying to uncover who's been cheating the indigenous population. In defense of "Jane" and Isaiah, Simon challenges the chief suspect to a duel. In trying to stop the duel, Isaiah dies. Before he does, however, he asks Si
Mary Craven
I do not think I have ever read so many books in one year. That said, I have never had a series of books like the Company of Rogues ready and waiting for me to read - and hard to put down. With The Rogue's Return, Jo Beverley has given us another enchanting love story wrapped in a mystery, some worry and even a bit of history for a non-American point of view. I so recommend these books!
Courtney
I love the Company of Rogues series, but this one was just boring. I couldn't bring myself to care about the threat to the hero and heroine, and was ready for it to be done so I could get on with the rest of the series.
Allison
I'm a fan of the Rogues series in general which is why I keep reading. There are some that are better than others though and this is not one of the better ones. I sort of felt this one was kind of phoned in. The story and characters didn't really seem developed and there was no climax really ever. The story just kind of fizzled out. Additionally, the hero Simon St. Bride was a little bleh...maybe since he's been gone to Canada all this time and has never factored into any of the other stories as ...more
Steph
I kept putting off reading this book because Simon was kind of a jerk of a big brother in mara's book but this was a very enjoyable story. Simon and Jancy were both likable and their story was sweet. Good read.
Elizabeth
Due to circumstances beyond control (a situation that explains her entire life), Jancy marries Simon who belongs to a fellowship of Peers who call themselves Rogues. She is not of his social class and this is the crux of the story as we are reminded of this frequently, several times in most chapters. While this was a true dilemma in those days, reiterating it became tedious and detracted from the story, what there was of it.
Patricia Burroughs
I am going down the list of Jo Beverley's Rogues, looking to see what I've missed. It's a really wonderful collection of books and I am glad to have finally read Simon's story.
Theresa Contreras
OMG I really do try to make it through every book that I start, but this one is proving harder then most... Its dragging on and on and its getting on my nerves. I ALWAYS bring my book to bed with me for some reading but I left this one down stairs for fear that I might read some more and be stuck with that being the last thing on my brain before I fell out... I'm just about done and I've given up hope that this book will turn out better then a 2... I just put it down and cant even remember the n ...more
Mandy
This is my favorite of all the Rogues books. Love the characters and the struggles they go through.
Mom
After years in Canada, Simon St. Bride is ready to return to England. But his plans are delayed by a duel and a young woman he feels honor-bound to marry, knowing that his family is unlikely to welcome her. For despite her beauty and seeming innocence, Jane Otterburn is hesitant to speak of her past. But when treachery strikes their world, Simon and Jane must fight side-by-side-and they discover a love beyond price and a passion beyond measure.
Emily
Liked the book, liked the characters. I'd like to read more by this author in this series so will keep my eyes peeled at the thrift stores. However, I know it will be one of those things where I am forever forgetting which ones I've read before because they all seem so similar. I know I've read others; but which ones? A good beach or plane read.
Rachel Rogers
Not quite the book that the cover blurb led me to believe. Still an entertaining read all told. I would have been happier if it had moved back to England a little faster - the Canada and voyage sections seemed rather long. Like the family and the Rogues I encountered in this so I'll probably read on in the series.
Lisa
This book read very quickly for me. I liked the change of setting, Canada, but did not like all the secrets that Jancy hid from Simon. I understand that the secrets created suspense, but it just got a little old after a while. I love Simon; he seems like a good man.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Hiding the past is never a good sign. Generally this means it will come to bite you in the ass when you least need it. I like reading forced weddings which end up happily ever after though. Of course, this only happens in fiction, never the real world.
Olivia
I loved the hero in this book. He was romantic, dashing and always stood up for his lady. The lady, however, got tiring. I do not like "woe is me, I'm not good enough for him" heroines. The book was an easy read.
Christine
2.5 stars, because it started to get a tiny bit better by the end. This was pretty bad. The writing style was decent, but that's just about the only thing this book had going for it.
Sherry
This was a quick, easy read. You have to love Simon, the hero. Jancy gives him quite a time and it takes a bit to figure out who she really is and why she's done what she has...
Mary Lauer
Not bad. I know Jancy was scared, but I wish she had found it easier to confide in Simon. As for Simon, I didn't really get whey he was "lightning struck" by her.
Joy
The main characters were highly forgettable. And if I want to read about early 19th century sea voyages, I will reread Patrick O'Brian.
Mary Lauer
A lot of these I seem to be enjoying more as retreads. Tho maybe that is a sign of my previous reading funk.
D Nichols
Great story - can't wait to get my hands on the next in the series.
Ellen
Simon StBride & Jane Otterburn
Company of Rogues #8
Dana Walker
Wonderfully written book, LOVE IT!!
Lynn Calvin
headless woman cover
  • Everything I Ever Wanted (Compass Club, #2)
  • Married to Maggie (Texas Boys Falling Fast)
  • When We Meet Again (Effingtons, #10)
  • The Duke's Indiscretion (Duke Trilogy, #3)
  • My Dark Prince
  • Kiss the Girl
  • No Man's Mistress (Mistress Trilogy #2)
  • His Captive Lady (Devil Riders, #2)
  • Silk and Shadows (Silk Trilogy, #1)
  • Crazy in Love (Blue Lake, #3)
  • An Invitation to Sin (Griffin Family, #2)
  • The Sinner (Seducers #4)
  • Suddenly
Mary Josephine Dunn was born 22 September 1947 in Lancashire, England, UK. At the age of eleven she went to an all-girls boarding school, Layton Hill Convent, Blackpool. At sixteen, she wrote her first romance, with a medieval setting, completed in installments in an exercise book. From 1966 to 1970, she obtained a degree in English history from Keele University in Staffordshire, where she met her ...more
More about Jo Beverley...

Company of Rogues (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • An Arranged Marriage (Company of Rogues, #1)
  • An Unwilling Bride (Company of Rogues, #2)
  • Christmas Angel
  • Forbidden (Company of Rogues, #4)
  • Dangerous Joy (Company of Rogues, #5)
  • The Demon's Mistress (Three Heroes, #1) (Company of Rogues, #6)
  • The Dragon's Bride (Three Heroes, #2) (Company of Rogues, #7)
  • The Devil's Heiress (Three Heroes, #3) (Company of Rogues, #8)
  • Hazard (Company of Rogues, #9)
  • St. Raven (Company of Rogues, #10)
My Lady Notorious (Malloren, #1) An Arranged Marriage (Company of Rogues, #1) An Unwilling Bride (Company of Rogues, #2) Devilish (Malloren, #5) Something Wicked (Malloren, #3)