Start by marking “Graphic Women: Life Narrative and Contemporary Comics” as Want to Read:
Graphic Women: Life Narrative and Contemporary Comics

Graphic Women: Life Narrative and Contemporary Comics

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Some of the most acclaimed books of the twenty-first century are autobiographical comics by women. Aline Kominsky-Crumb is a pioneer of the autobiographical form, showing women's everyday lives, especially through the lens of the body. Phoebe Gloeckner places teenage sexuality at the center of her work, while Lynda Barry uses collage and the empty spaces between frames to...more
Published November 16th 2010 by Columbia University Press

To ask other readers questions about Graphic Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Graphic Women

Anna Springer
I never finished this review for a fancy review pub last year when the book came out - the editor wanted changes that would have made it a book synopsis, and I ran out of time. Nonetheless, it's such an important and wonderful book, I thought I'd post my draft review here with hopes it will encourage you to get this excellent critical survey.

Review: Graphic Women by Hillary Chute

In a recent online column, “Ten Things to Know About the Future of Comics,” webcomic artist and Manga editor Shaenon K...more
Sarah Sammis
Too narrow of a focus. There are so many different women writing graphic novels / memoirs now and this book focuses on four or five. The first two chapters seem to be there just for the shock value.
Chibineko
If you ask the average person about women in comics or graphic novels, most will probably respond with a comment about their favorite Marvel or DC female superhero or the girlfriend of one. If you ask about women CREATING comics or graphic novels, some might be able to point out their favorite artists but sadly most might draw a blank at naming even the author of one of the local weekly comic strips in their local paper.

Luckily with female created comics such as Persepolis & others becoming...more
Erin
What a cool collection of essays about female graphic novelists. Chute gave me some new ways to think about and critically read not only these specific graphic novels, but others. I was so intrigued by some of these artists (namely Aline Kominsky-Crumb) that I had to stop reading this book and read the artists' books before I could continue. Not a bad problem to have.

Theory-wise, I was happy that I had read Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics before delving into this book. It added a level of...more
Debbie Hoskins
This is a scholarly examination. I found it a little tedious and hard to understand. However, the women profiled are all influential.
Three of the women profiled, choose to tell and depict depressing subject matter.
Lynda Barry is more positive. However she depicts childhood trauma and abuse, also.

Personally I think life is hard enough. An artist should try to figure out how to create work that is joyful, even though life is hard and can feel hard.

The author talks about how comics is an autobiogr...more
Kobeest
this is a heavy, scholarly look at the presentation of women in image and word in comics by women authors. it focuses on five of the most recognizable women comic authors and at least in the first three chapters (all i have read so far) zeros in on "on both pain and pleasure..." of womanhood, highlighting, at least in the first two chapters, their sexuality (69). the chapters on lynda berry, one of my favorite authors, and phoebe gloeckner, shed a brilliant light on the vagaries of growing up. e...more
Shanae
I've read GRAPHIC WOMEN several time over the past few months. I find it an insightful and intriguing look at not only graphic narratives but also women writers and women's studies.

For anyone interested in writing about graphic narratives, then I definitely recommend GRAPHIC WOMEN, however, I do not find it the text you'd want to pick up for recreational reading.
AJ
Way too academic for me. I guess I just like reading graphic novels a lot more than I like reading about them.
Miami University Libraries
Call Number PN6714 .C49 2010
Murat Akser
Murat Akser marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Juniper
Juniper is currently reading it
Sep 24, 2014
Ashley Moonshoes
Ashley Moonshoes marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Meghan Bailey
Meghan Bailey marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Cole Wardell
Cole Wardell marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Ruth Book
Ruth Book marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Flickrwiings
Flickrwiings marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Outside the Box: Interviews With Contemporary Cartoonists Comics & Media: A Special Issue of "Critical Inquiry" Graphic Graphic Women: Life Narrative and Contemporary Comics (Gender and Culture Series)

“The medium of comics is not necessarily about "good drawing"--"It's just an accident when it makes a nice drawing," Spiegelman explained to a curator at the MoMA--but rather about what Spiegelman calls picture-writing and Satrapi calls narrative drawing: how one person constructs a narrative that moves forward in time through both words and images.” 0 likes