Start by marking “All Sail Set: A Romance of the Flying Cloud” as Want to Read:
All Sail Set: A Romance of the Flying Cloud

All Sail Set: A Romance of the Flying Cloud

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  142 ratings  ·  11 reviews
When his father loses his fortune, a boy is taken on by a famous shipbuilder and eventually makes a maiden, record-breaking trip around Cape Horn on the Flying Cloud..
Published February 23rd 1995 by David R. Godine Publisher (first published January 1st 1935)

To ask other readers questions about All Sail Set, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Sail Set

Master and Commander by Patrick O'BrianTreasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonMoby-Dick; or, The Whale by Herman MelvilleThe Old Man and the Sea by Ernest HemingwayTwenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
Nautical Novels
79th out of 220 books — 217 voters
The One and Only Ivan by Katherine ApplegateCaddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie BrinkThe Great Turkey Walk by Kathleen KarrCheaper by the Dozen by Frank B. Gilbreth Jr.Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor
4th Grade Read Aloud
14th out of 26 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris Meads
This Book is about the Flying Cloud; the planning, the building and the first sailing of the ship through the eyes of Enoch Thatcher. He spins his tale from learning from the builder of the ship to actually sailing the boat from New York to the Cape of Good Horn, to San Francisco. The pictures are realistic and drawings of the ship--the spread of sails are shown. The reader learns the different terminology of the boat and parts of the ship.

This book is for anyone that has a love for the sea and
Caitlín (Ink Mage)
Ships enchant Enoch Thacher, which makes East Boston—where ships are built, docked, and sailed from—his paradise. His friend the old captain Messina Clarke teaches him the ways of the sea and tells him yarns of when he was a young man and sailed the world. After the sudden death of his father, the fourteen-year-old must find work to support his mother, and turns to Donald McKay, a friend of his father and designer of clipper ships. Fate brings Enoch and the most famous clipper ever built, the Fl ...more
Hans Halberstadt
I found this title in an used bookstore in the little town of Columbia Falls, Montana, and paid $10 for it thinking it was a non-fiction account of the legendary sailing ship Flying Cloud. My copy is a 1935 edition and includes a very large number of superb woodcut illustrations. Instead of the factual account I was expecting, the book is actually historic fiction of the so-called "juvenile" variety. This is a book for boys, and specifically boys of eighty years ago when square-rigged sailing sh ...more
Mckinley
Very interesting, lots of details about the running of a sailing ship. Just not really my sort of story. No girls except of the mother in the first couple of chapters who has a very minor role; a teenage boy coming of age story.
Captains Courageous by Kipling also has a lot of ship details.
Katherine
I had a fascination with clipper ships in early high school... and here is a book honoring the best one of them all, the Flying Cloud. This book follows the story of Enoch who becomes a man as he helps in the construction and then the sailing of the Flying Cloud around the Horn. Several good male role models. I wish I had found it sooner for all my boys.
Lorena
Oct 17, 2008 Lorena rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lorena by: Sunlight
Shelves: for-gabriella
We read this book as part of Gabriella's 5th grade curriculum, neither of us enjoyed it. It was linear and not exciting at all, it read like a boring diary of someone who you just couldn't care about. It illustrated what men who had their life at sea was like in the 1800's but it just wasn't captivating enough. We had a hard time finishing this.
Kristin
I'm certain that somewhere amongst the many mysterious nautical terms lurked an exciting story. Perhaps if we had a basic understanding of ships, this might have been mildly interesting. But we don't, and it was not. Educational? Yes. Interesting? No.
Stephanie H.
I got bogged down in all the nautical terms and can't help thinking there was another piece of historical fiction that would have benefited us more.
Tammy
This book was nothing but confusing. It was written for sailors. Me and my landlubber boy were lost throughout most of the book.
David R.  Godine
"A magical book. The romance is irresistible."
Fort Worth Star Telegram
Tammy
May 09, 2013 Tammy marked it as to-read
Newbery Honor Book 1936
Audrey Dowd
Audrey Dowd marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Briggy
Briggy marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Sharron Peters
Sharron Peters marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Afsaneh
Afsaneh marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Elliott Fauré
Elliott Fauré marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Patricia Hanley
Patricia Hanley marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Sophie19
Sophie19 marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Debbie Rhoades
Debbie Rhoades marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
  • The ABC Bunny
  • Volcano: The Eruption and Healing of Mount St. Helens
  • The Golden Name Day
  • The Planet of Junior Brown
Author and illustrator, he won the Newbery Award in 1941 for Call It Courage.
More about Armstrong Sperry...
Call It Courage John Paul Jones, Fighting Sailor The Voyages of Christopher Columbus Captain Cook Explores the South Seas Boy Who Was Afraid