Start by marking “The Garden of Betrayal” as Want to Read:
The Garden of Betrayal

The Garden of Betrayal

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  132 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Manhattan, 2002: Mark Wallace has it all—he’s married to Claire, the love of his life; they have two bright, beautiful children, and his is a high-powered Wall Street job. Until one night while on a neighborhood errand by himself, his twelve-year-old son, Kyle, vanishes, brutally snatched off the streets of New York.
Seven years later, Kyle has never been found. The loss, g
Published August 3rd 2010 by Knopf (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Garden of Betrayal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Garden of Betrayal

Julia
Apr 05, 2015 Julia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The adage is that you should never judge a book by its cover. The cover of this book suggests some kind of major action taking place in the field, together with a quote promising "ripsnorting action" that comes from a New York Times review (that oddly cannot be found on the New York Times website). My own experience was quite the opposite. This is a sluggish, overly complicated thriller which takes a very long time to get going and then becomes immensely silly once it does.

The hero is Mark Walla
David
Sep 11, 2011 David rated it really liked it
The Garden of Betrayal is a financial thriller, with author Lee Vance using his background as a Goldman Sachs trader on Wall Street as an excellent resource for a well-researched and topical plotline.

The story hinges around the kidnapping of a successful and happily married Manhattan trader Mark Wallace's son in 2002. Now seven years later and with the case never solved or closed, a new lead to the disappearance opens up. Seemingly unrelated, but on the same day, a natural gas pipeline in weste
Sara Townsend
Nov 21, 2010 Sara Townsend rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
Energy analyst Mark Wallace is a Wall Street legend. Seven years ago, his son was kidnapped, and with no motive and no body, the case was never solved. The same day a new Russian pipeline poised to revolutionise the oil industry explodes, Mark receives a lead on solving the mystery of what happened to his son. Is his son’s disappearance linked to the pipeline attack?

Author Lee Vance is a graduate of Harvard and a retired general partner of Goldman Sachs. He clearly knows his stuff regarding the
Joseph
Sep 30, 2010 Joseph rated it it was ok
This book has a depressing, though action-packed plot. It is appetizingly current in context. It reads as if written just yesterday and the review that drew me to read it suggested some of the content is based on true events from the author who is deeply entrenched in financial and consulting background related to the energy industry. Sadly the book is stained by expletives that snowball in the second half of the book. I finally had enough around page 250 but skipped to the end and happened upon ...more
Cathy Jarvis
Apr 01, 2015 Cathy Jarvis rated it really liked it
First book I've read by this author. Well written - since I did not read this in one sitting...there were times with so many twists and plot turns with multiple characters, multiple continents and spanning over 7 years from the kidnapping to the "explosion" reviewing was essential for me. Will definitely read another by this author.
Edlira
Feb 12, 2015 Edlira rated it it was amazing
I loved both books of Vance. Both are financial thrillers with the second having more of geopolitical conflicts in it. Although the financial terms were complex, I liked the challenge and I presume it will be better the second time around as a read.
Lynda
Feb 19, 2011 Lynda rated it liked it
A kidnapping is just a kidnapping or is it? That is what the reader and the main character Mark Wallace have to deal with in this book. It was very suspenseful, violent and complicated but a very compelling read. Mark and Claire's son Kyle disappeared seven years ago on a trip to the video store one evening. The case was never closed. Mark receives some unanticipated information about Saudi Arabian oil reserves in relation to his job. While investigating the validity of the information, Mark dis ...more
Bill
Jan 22, 2016 Bill rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, oil, politics
Spy vs. Spy with evil oil companies & corrupt governments. Ho hum. Would've been much better without the author's personal politics.
Ted Magnuson
Nov 08, 2010 Ted Magnuson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: current-events
Kyle, Mark and Claire Wallace's boy disappears one night...No ransom notes, no body...Mark Wallace is an energy industry analyst...the man with a large scar running down the side of his face...Hmmm: who dunnit and why?This international thriller with a family cast of characters is a good read. As I write this, I think I see how all motives, deceptions, twists and turns of plot fit together, but you'll have to read it yourself to put it all together. Lee Vance was a Goldman Sachs trader, so his t ...more
Rach
Feb 24, 2014 Rach rated it it was amazing
highly recommend
Don Sparrow
Feb 14, 2011 Don Sparrow rated it really liked it
Lee Vance's 2nd novel is a financial thriller. An energy analyst for a hedge fund balances a family drama with an international conspiracy.The two plots are interwoven throughout providing intense suspense. There is very good character development of all the players.This is an intelligent gripping thriller; a real page turner.I highly recommend this book to all fans of this genre.I look forward to reading his debut novel "Restitution".
Stefan
Feb 01, 2011 Stefan rated it really liked it
The Garden of Betrayal is a well written thriller about political intrigue, personal drama and the dark side of Wall Street. The fact that the author is a former senior executive at Goldman Sachs makes the business and financial side of the story all the more interesting. Lee Vince makes a number of insightful points about American economic affairs, foreign policy and the geopolitical reality of the 21st century.
Jacquelynn Fritz
Dec 22, 2010 Jacquelynn Fritz rated it really liked it
This is a good read which starts in 2003 when a boy, Kyle Wallace disappears. The book then jumps to 2010 where the new Russian natural gas pipeline is blown up at the opening ceremony. What this has to do with Kyle's disappearance, the Wallace family, the cop still trying to solve the case, and friends and co-workers of the Wallaces is a complex story of international political suspense.
Shanlee
Dec 16, 2010 Shanlee rated it really liked it
Reader's Choice option at our local library (I'm a preview reader to help them decided what's on the list) and I enjoyed this. Listened to it as I drove, and read parts too. Enjoyed the tenor of the book and story line. Overall it's a way to educate people about energy/oil crunch coming up. Although I predicted plot lines, which is Not unusual for me, I liked the pace and writing style.
Cheryl
Feb 08, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent...just enough twists and turns
Mike
Oct 01, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it
Although this was not terribly realistic, it is a thriller written in the intersection of energy markets and finance, so it was a perfect "plane read" for me. I finished it a month or so ago and I don't really remember any of its details, but that wasn't really the point.
Jan 12, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it
A slightly more brainy thriller than some. Kept me interested, although in the end I was still a little confused about what happened! Bogged down sometimes in discussions of financial theory, but I would read another of his books.
Ineke van Mackelenbergh
Had good pace and loved the premise of the book, but then about 3/4-way through I felt it lost steam and the author just wanted to bring it to a good ending. All loose ends were tied with one exception, which I shall not divulge.
Vera VB
Feb 01, 2016 Vera VB rated it liked it
It gives me the creeps to know what happens behind the scenes to earn money. Traders, financial institutions, lawers and CEOs, they all play together to get the most out of it. Cheating, Lying, murdering, it's war for Oil.
Sue Ansell
May 18, 2011 Sue Ansell rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the book as it had a lot of twists and turns. Sometimes got lost with who was killing who but only because I couldn't sit down and read the whole book in one sitting. Wish he had more to read.
Brad
Nov 01, 2014 Brad rated it really liked it
Shelves: purged
This was a good book and it kept me reading. The plot had a little bit more political overtones to it than I usually can get into, but the rest of the storyline held my interest enough to keep me going.
Mason
Oct 08, 2010 Mason rated it really liked it
A gripping tale about the threat of "peak oil" and the way politicians, the oil industry, spies, and others could try to use any insights, or twist any data, to suit their needs and wants.
Bank
Feb 16, 2011 Bank rated it liked it
Page turning story about wall street and intrigue and betrayal in international markets .
Lesson of story : don't trust the Russian bear or the French poodle.
Cindy
Dec 13, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it
Powerful tale of love, loss, closure, and justice. I like the novel, enjoyed the writing style, will read the author again. No graphic sex, some language.
Katy
Oct 09, 2010 Katy rated it liked it
An alright book. Nothing I'd highly recommend. There are better thrillers out there, but some of it was interesting and the story was decent.
Petter Sund
Dec 19, 2014 Petter Sund rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, english
Liked it, the author's background gives the book some credibility and I found the plot quite plausible and interesting
Bettie☯
Mar 06, 2014 Bettie☯ rated it it was ok
Pam
Oct 03, 2011 Pam rated it liked it
Complicated thriller with a bit of a twittish narrator. But OK.
Barbara Duvoisin
Sep 29, 2010 Barbara Duvoisin marked it as to-read
Source: economist sep 2010
Patti
Oct 01, 2010 Patti rated it really liked it
Interesting book. Would read another by this author.
  • Peoplequake: Mass Migration, Aging Nations and the Coming Population Crash
  • Power Trip: From Oil Wells to Solar Cells---Our Ride to the Renewable Future
  • Agents of Treachery: Never Before Published Spy Fiction from Today's Most Exciting Writers
  • The Ecotechnic Future: Envisioning a Post-Peak World
  • Power to Save the World: The Truth About Nuclear Energy
  • The Upside of Down: Catastrophe, Creativity and the Renewal of Civilization
  • Crude World: The Violent Twilight of Oil
  • The Inheritance (Inspector Trave, #1)
  • Valley Of Death: The Tragedy At Dien Bien Phu That Led America Into The Vietnam War
  • The End of Oil: On the Edge of a Perilous New World
  • The British Industrial Revolution in Global Perspective
  • Cables From Kabul: The Inside Story Of The West's Afghanistan Campaign
  • The Fifteen Biggest Lies about the Economy: And Everything Else the Right Doesn't Want You to Know about Taxes, Jobs, and Corporate America
  • Why Your World Is About to Get a Whole Lot Smaller: Oil and the End of Globalization
  • The Liar's Lullaby (Jo Beckett #3)
  • The Inner Life of Empires: An Eighteenth-Century History