Start by marking “Jade: A Novel of China” as Want to Read:
Jade: A Novel of China

Jade: A Novel of China

Spanning forty of the nineteenth century's most turbulent years, JADE captures the rich variety of the Celestial Empire: the harsh formality and exotic sensuality of a traditional Chinese household, the bleak puritanism of missionary outposts, the narrow-minded bigotry and social frivolity of the Westernized treaty ports, the pioneer's rewards and risks of trading up the Y ...more
Published August 1st 1982 by St Martins Press (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Jade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jade

Karla
DNF...because zero fucks were given & life's too short to waste on boring doorstoppers. Clearly the author did her (his? their?) research, but the flat characters & stilted language doth not engage my attention. I've nibbled & pecked at this for days & the pace still crawls while I eyeball other books on my shelf.

Nope. Moving on.
Julie
Apr 14, 2011 Julie rated it liked it
This is a very thick 600 page novel about China during the last half of the 19th century. I almost rated it as a 4 because it is well written and seems to have been well researched. But I wouldn't recommend it to any of my friends as a good read, so therefore left it as a 3. My biggest complaint is that I didn't care for the main character or her actions. In fact, I didn't much care for any of the people in the book. What I did enjoy about it was learning more about the encroachment of foreign p ...more
Teri Armstrong
Sep 22, 2015 Teri Armstrong rated it did not like it
Erica
Mar 20, 2013 Erica rated it liked it
A random book fair find. I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed learning about the history of China. The main character did seem a bit implausible though, being so independent and such during the late 19th century.
Lezlee
Jan 28, 2013 Lezlee rated it it was amazing
Great book. One of those that stays with you forever....
Amanda Ellison
Jul 07, 2015 Amanda Ellison rated it really liked it
EXCELLENT BOOK!AUTHOR WRITRS TREMENDOUSLY WELL, MAKING U FEEL AS IF THE CHARACTERS ARE ACTUALLY REAL PPL WHOM U KNOW INTIMATELY! Especially the main character, Alice Greenwood, aka- "Uncut Jade" to the Chinese. Amazing how well he writes about China! A lot of very horrible, inhumane, cruel things happen to Jade & her brother as children by the Chinese, however, it's these ppl they most relate to & understand years later, instead of their own kind-the white ppl. A terrific novel! Very inf ...more
Yellow Bell
Mar 17, 2010 Yellow Bell rated it liked it
Lynnell
Sep 08, 2008 Lynnell rated it liked it
Recommended to Lynnell by: my husband found it at his grandpa's house
This book was hard to get through, I just read it every now and then, not a page turner for sure. It was very interesting, and I learned a lot about China, but it is an English girls view of China having grown up there in the late 1800's (her dad was a missionary). You can tell it was written in the 1980's if that makes any sense. Probably wouldn't recommend it, there are lots of other books out there that are better.
Sue
Sep 25, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this historical novel set in an extremely turbulent time in China's long history. The heroine, Alice, also called Uncut Jade, is an unconventional woman during times when unconventional women were not treated very well. Her story of trying to make it by herself was as interesting as the times that she lived in. Well worth the effort of almost 600 pages!
Greta
Mar 17, 2014 Greta rated it it was amazing
I read this book about 15 years ago and it has never left me. It took me quite a while to find it again. I must say, it is one of the very best books I have ever read on China. It's historical fiction and I can't recommend it highly enough. It is truly a classic.
Berna
Aug 07, 2011 Berna rated it it was ok
Though I do not mind reading a detailed story; I found the book too long. I felt like the same thing was happening with the different characters. I enjoyed the description of the Chinese culture at the first sections though ;)
Carianne Kreymborg
Aug 08, 2013 Carianne Kreymborg rated it really liked it
I read this book in 1988 and have never forgotten it. It is a very large, long book but a very good story. Recommended for avid readers
Mary Yoder
Jan 04, 2012 Mary Yoder rated it liked it

long book story good names a little confusing in the beginning
Raquel Melo
Jun 02, 2015 Raquel Melo rated it liked it
Bem entediante... quase não terminei de ler -.-
Chris
Mar 16, 2013 Chris added it
Shelves: nicole
Ned. Titel: ogen van jade
Bettie☯
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Josh
Josh is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2016
Sandra Fransson
Sandra Fransson rated it it was ok
Aug 18, 2016
Therin
Therin marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Jutta Vanderheyden
Jutta Vanderheyden rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2016
Ethan
Ethan marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Micki Levin
Micki Levin marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Gilda
Gilda rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Carline Stephens
Carline Stephens rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2016