Jade: A Novel of China

Jade: A Novel of China

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Spanning forty of the nineteenth century's most turbulent years, JADE captures the rich variety of the Celestial Empire: the harsh formality and exotic sensuality of a traditional Chinese household, the bleak puritanism of missionary outposts, the narrow-minded bigotry and social frivolity of the Westernized treaty ports, the pioneer's rewards and risks of trading up the Y...more
Published August 1st 1982 by St Martins Press (first published 1982)

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto)
Julie
This is a very thick 600 page novel about China during the last half of the 19th century. I almost rated it as a 4 because it is well written and seems to have been well researched. But I wouldn't recommend it to any of my friends as a good read, so therefore left it as a 3. My biggest complaint is that I didn't care for the main character or her actions. In fact, I didn't much care for any of the people in the book. What I did enjoy about it was learning more about the encroachment of foreign p...more
Erica
A random book fair find. I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed learning about the history of China. The main character did seem a bit implausible though, being so independent and such during the late 19th century.
Lezlee
Great book. One of those that stays with you forever....
Yellow Bell
Lynnell
Sep 08, 2008 Lynnell rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lynnell by: my husband found it at his grandpa's house
This book was hard to get through, I just read it every now and then, not a page turner for sure. It was very interesting, and I learned a lot about China, but it is an English girls view of China having grown up there in the late 1800's (her dad was a missionary). You can tell it was written in the 1980's if that makes any sense. Probably wouldn't recommend it, there are lots of other books out there that are better.
Sue
I really enjoyed this historical novel set in an extremely turbulent time in China's long history. The heroine, Alice, also called Uncut Jade, is an unconventional woman during times when unconventional women were not treated very well. Her story of trying to make it by herself was as interesting as the times that she lived in. Well worth the effort of almost 600 pages!
Greta
I read this book about 15 years ago and it has never left me. It took me quite a while to find it again. I must say, it is one of the very best books I have ever read on China. It's historical fiction and I can't recommend it highly enough. It is truly a classic.
Berna
Though I do not mind reading a detailed story; I found the book too long. I felt like the same thing was happening with the different characters. I enjoyed the description of the Chinese culture at the first sections though ;)
Carianne Kreymborg
I read this book in 1988 and have never forgotten it. It is a very large, long book but a very good story. Recommended for avid readers
Mary Yoder

long book story good names a little confusing in the beginning
Chris
Mar 16, 2013 Chris added it
Shelves: nicole
Ned. Titel: ogen van jade
☯Bettie☯
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Ronson
Ronson added it
Feb 19, 2014
Kareemah
Kareemah marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Olúsolá
Olúsolá marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
H
H marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Fran Britton
Fran Britton marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Mermarie
Mermarie marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
KH
KH added it
Jan 23, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Rabbit {Pokemon Master}
Rabbit {Pokemon Master} marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Cody
Cody marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
A Curious Life for a Lady: The Story of Isabella Bird The Memsahibs The Coming of the Barbarians: A Story of Western Settlement in Japan 1853-70 Kenjiro Coromandel