Start by marking “Sweet Chic: Stylish Treats to Dress Up for Any Occasion” as Want to Read:
Sweet Chic: Stylish Treats to Dress Up for Any Occasion

Sweet Chic: Stylish Treats to Dress Up for Any Occasion

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  8 reviews
DESSERT DRESSED TO THE NINES

Today’s baker faces a great challenge: With little time and a limited repertoire, she often needs to whip up a delicious dessert that’s dressed to impress. Rachel Schifter Thebault, founder and head confectioner of Tribeca Treats in New York City, knows all about making a sweet statement. Combining a confectioner’s expertise with fashion sense
Published October 26th 2010 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Chic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Chic

Rachel
There are few pastimes that can compete with my love of books, but baking is one of them. The premise of this cookbook seemed rather unique, as it attempted to combine baking with fashion. There is even a delightful foreword by Isaac Mizrahi to further the theme. The author, Rachel Schifter Thebault, runs her own bakery, Tribeca Treats, out of New York City, and this is her debut cookbook.
The book opens with an explanation of Rachel's philosophy of baking. In the same way that a woman uses a lit
Jen Rothmeyer
As soon as I received my copy of Sweet Chic, I squealed a little. I must admit that I am a cookbook collector, a fanatic, a freak. You may enjoy your glossy mags, but I enjoy my cookbooks. While light on pictures (not all recipes have an accompanying picture), the inside of the cookbook is just as fabulous as the outside. The layout is truly a visual delight with its quirky and fun text elements.

The cookbook opens with a text foreword from Isaac Mizrahi and introduction by Ms. Thebault. It then
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Fancy desserts are the trend right now and Sweet Chic capitalizes on that trend. The premise to the book is kind of cute: that just like in fashion, it's easy to accessorize and dress up an otherwise ordinary outfit, or in this case, dessert.

There are quite a few pictures (not a picture for every recipe, which is my big cookbook pet peeve, but this one has a good many), and go-to recipes you can use as the basis for desserts, such as a devil's food cake, a white cake, and a sugar cookie. Rachel
Diane
Homemade chocolate sandwich cookies were amazing. I would make the chocolate cookies again for ice cream sandwiches. The icing was easy to make and very versatile -- the author offered a cinnamon version and I am thinking of tinkering to make a peppermint version for the holidays.
I tried a couple other recipes I enjoyed, and the author offered many riffs and combos with each recipe.
Recipes were simple, tasty, and used easy to find ingredients. Overall a good cookbook for a beginning baker.
Garci
Beautiful and practical read -- will be my go-to book for my next from scratch cake or cupcake. Perfect advice for baking and selecting flavors. Last chapters have some delicious sounding chocolate and truffle recipes.
Marcia
A lovely cookbook of baked treats that takes basic recipes and then offers variations. Not too complicated and the results are pretty enough to serve guests.
Truly
i liked the comparison of desserts to types of clothes
Amy Graham
Love this book, trying every other recipe.
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2013
Jage
Jage added it
Dec 18, 2012
Pinky
Pinky is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2012
Eliza Cross
Eliza Cross marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2012
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2011
Beka
Beka marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2011
Shiawase
Shiawase marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2010
Sylvia
Sylvia marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2010
Rachel Schifter Thebault, founder of Tribeca Treats, spent seven years as an investment banker before transforming her side hobby of making truffles for friends into a full-time career in confections. A graduate of the Institute of Culinary Education, she opened Tribeca Treats in 2007. The bakery has won honors from American Express OPEN and entrepreneur organizations, and is a pillar of the Tribe ...more
More about Rachel Thebault...