Start by marking “The Story of the Ingalls” as Want to Read:
The Story of the Ingalls

The Story of the Ingalls

Tells the story of the Ingalls family from the Little House on the Prairie series.
Published April 5th 2004 by Anderson Publications (first published June 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of the Ingalls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of the Ingalls

Heather
Jun 28, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it
Being a child of the 70's, I am of course familiar with "The Little House on the Prairie." Though I have not read the books or seen all the shows when I came across this booklet, I was fascinated and couldn't resist picking it up.

The booklet is a brief (40-page) history of the Ingalls, broken down into small chapters which either covers a member or members of the family or their travels west until they ultimately end up in DeSmet, South Dakota. As the subtitle is "What happened next to Laura's f
SnowBite
Jul 27, 2016 SnowBite rated it it was amazing
This 44 page book fills in so much of what Laura left unwritten between the lines of her Little House books. The author, William Anderson, untangles truth from Laura's gently abridged childhood anecdotes. You'll learn why the Ingalls family left their idyllic Little House in the Big Woods and why Mary lost her sight. And, you may close the book with an unexpected dislike for the real Pa Ingalls, so completely unlike the character played by Michael Landon in the TV series and so unlike the kind, ...more
Rene Guyton
Nov 14, 2015 Rene Guyton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hardcopy
Reading this was finding a good friend again. I bought this book while I was doing my own 'covered wagon' trip, moving from Ohio to Seattle, and taking a week long driving trip to get there.

There were three of us on that trip, and we were in a very small car with everything we thought we'd need to start a new life out West. I've always regretted not being able to take the time to visit the Ingalls/Wilder sites during that trip (or since that time).

But at least I got to pick up this book at a sto
Carla
Jul 14, 2009 Carla rated it really liked it
I loved reading about the history od Laura'a family and learning what happened to them after the books were completed. I wish it had been longer!
Kristen
May 12, 2015 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
Fifth grade +.

The true stories of the Ingalls, from the "Little House" series. Many of the original, authentic photographs, along with historical facts and research on the family and the time period.

Children should be acquainted with the "Little House" books before reading this. Excellent insights into the history involved in the popular stories.
Lorraine
Jun 29, 2015 Lorraine rated it liked it
Liked the inclusion of written works by Carrie and Grace. Interesting to read events from another POV
Lauri
Jun 13, 2015 Lauri rated it it was amazing
All the William Anderson books are worth a read, and this is one of the originals.
Elizabeth
Aug 19, 2014 Elizabeth rated it liked it
I learned some new things about Laura Ingalls Wilder and the Ingalls family.
Kerri
Jul 26, 2010 Kerri rated it really liked it
Read this in preparation to visiting De Smet, SD this summer. Glad I did, I felt so smart when the tour leader led us through the various historical sites and I already knew so much...can't ever get enough Laura Ingalls Wilder and "Little House" stuff!
Sue
read again during trip to Walnut Grove and De Smet in 2015
first read 1994
Rebekah
Jun 13, 2012 Rebekah rated it liked it
Loved Grace Ingalls diary in the appendix.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Beverly Os
Beverly Os marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Jennie Morley
Jennie Morley marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Lori Daley
Lori Daley marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
elaine
elaine rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
April Reed
April Reed marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Jody
Jody rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Paula Peterson
Paula Peterson marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Cindy Smith
Cindy Smith marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Kay
Kay marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Maicey
Maicey marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Debbi Nekic
Debbi Nekic marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2016
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Melanie Reid
Melanie Reid marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Also published under William T. Anderson.

William Anderson is an American author, historian and lecturer. He is a specialist in the subject of Laura Ingalls Wilder. He is a director of the Laura Ingalls Wilder Home and Museum in Mansfield, Missouri.

Anderson has written magazine articles, for publications like The Saturday Evening Post and The Christian Science Monitor and others. He has received m
More about William Anderson...