Start by marking “The Story of the Ingalls” as Want to Read:
The Story of the Ingalls

The Story of the Ingalls

Tells the story of the Ingalls family from the Little House on the Prairie series.
Published April 5th 2004 by Anderson Publications (first published June 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of the Ingalls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of the Ingalls

Heather
Jun 28, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it
Being a child of the 70's, I am of course familiar with "The Little House on the Prairie." Though I have not read the books or seen all the shows when I came across this booklet, I was fascinated and couldn't resist picking it up.

The booklet is a brief (40-page) history of the Ingalls, broken down into small chapters which either covers a member or members of the family or their travels west until they ultimately end up in DeSmet, South Dakota. As the subtitle is "What happened next to Laura's f
Carla
Jul 14, 2009 Carla rated it really liked it
I loved reading about the history od Laura'a family and learning what happened to them after the books were completed. I wish it had been longer!
SnowBite
Jul 27, 2016 SnowBite rated it it was amazing
This 44 page book fills in so much of what Laura left unwritten between the lines of her Little House books. The author, William Anderson, untangles truth from Laura's gently abridged childhood anecdotes. You'll learn why the Ingalls family left their idyllic Little House in the Big Woods and why Mary lost her sight. And, you may close the book with an unexpected dislike for the real Pa Ingalls, so completely unlike the character played by Michael Landon in the TV series and so unlike the kind, ...more
Rene Guyton
Nov 14, 2015 Rene Guyton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hardcopy
Reading this was finding a good friend again. I bought this book while I was doing my own 'covered wagon' trip, moving from Ohio to Seattle, and taking a week long driving trip to get there.

There were three of us on that trip, and we were in a very small car with everything we thought we'd need to start a new life out West. I've always regretted not being able to take the time to visit the Ingalls/Wilder sites during that trip (or since that time).

But at least I got to pick up this book at a sto
Kristen
May 12, 2015 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
Fifth grade +.

The true stories of the Ingalls, from the "Little House" series. Many of the original, authentic photographs, along with historical facts and research on the family and the time period.

Children should be acquainted with the "Little House" books before reading this. Excellent insights into the history involved in the popular stories.
Kerri
Jul 26, 2010 Kerri rated it really liked it
Read this in preparation to visiting De Smet, SD this summer. Glad I did, I felt so smart when the tour leader led us through the various historical sites and I already knew so much...can't ever get enough Laura Ingalls Wilder and "Little House" stuff!
Lorraine
Jun 29, 2015 Lorraine rated it liked it
Liked the inclusion of written works by Carrie and Grace. Interesting to read events from another POV
Path
Path rated it it was ok
Jan 14, 2012
Su Fero
Su Fero rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2014
Brandy Dugger
Brandy Dugger rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2014
Becky
Becky rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2016
Gayle
Gayle rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2010
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2013
Caroline
Caroline rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2010
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2011
Dana
Dana rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2011
Leisl
Leisl rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2013
Connie
Connie rated it really liked it
May 12, 2009
Stacey
Stacey rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2014
Sumi
Sumi rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2008
Nicole Baker
Nicole Baker rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2015
Lauri
Jun 13, 2015 Lauri rated it it was amazing
All the William Anderson books are worth a read, and this is one of the originals.
Laura Boerner
Laura Boerner rated it really liked it
May 18, 2013
Jody
Jody rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2007
Rebekah
Jun 13, 2012 Rebekah rated it liked it
Loved Grace Ingalls diary in the appendix.
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2015
Brandi
Brandi rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2008
Renee Parrott
Renee Parrott rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2010
Elizabeth
Aug 19, 2014 Elizabeth rated it liked it
I learned some new things about Laura Ingalls Wilder and the Ingalls family.
« previous 1 3 next »
William Anderson is an American author, historian and lecturer. He is a specialist in the subject of Laura Ingalls Wilder and her times.

His interest in American frontier began after reading Little House on the Prairie. He is a director of the Laura Ingalls Wilder Home and Museum in Mansfield, Missouri, and he lives and works as a teacher in Michigan.

Librarian’s note: There is more than one author
More about William Anderson...