Start by marking “Shadow of His Hand: A Story Based on the Life of Holocaust Survivor Anita Dittman” as Want to Read:

Shadow of His Hand: A Story Based on the Life of Holocaust Survivor Anita Dittman (Daughters of the Faith)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Young Anita Dittman's world crumbles as Hitler begins his rise to power in Germany, but because she's a Christian and only half-Jewish, Anita feels sure she and her family are safe from "the Final Solution." She couldn't have been more wrong.
Published July 1st 2004 by Moody Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Shadow of His Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow of His Hand

Vera Godley
ISBN: 978-0-8024-4074-7 ~ $6.99 - (ages 8-12)

Wendy Lawton has written another inspiring and accurate portrayal of girls in history in her "Daughers of the Faith Series." Shadow of His Hand is the story of Anita Dittman growing up as a young girl and teen during the rise of Hitler's Nazi Germany and the Holocaust. Anita's mother is Jewish and her father Aryan. Her father determines that he must separate himself from the contamination of his Jewish wife and their children so he completely rejects
Victoria
I enjoyed this book a lot. All of Wendy Lawton''s "Daughters of the Faith" series are very good. This is about a little girl named Anita who has a mother which is a Jew and a German father. Sometime when Hitler comes to power, their father wants a divorce from his wife because he is ashamed to be seen with a Jewish wife. Their mother takes the Anita and her sister with her. Eventually when it is no longer safe for Jews to be around, they get a ticket for Anita's sister to sail to England. Anita' ...more
Megan
Shadow of His Hand is the story of Anita Dittman, a young girl who survives Hitler’s Nazi Germany and the Holocaust. Trials begin early for young Anita when her own father rejects her, favoring her older sister over her. Soon Anita, her sister, and their mother are cast out of their house by their Aryan father who says he will support them financially, but ultimately does not. One Easter Sunday, Anita goes to church with friends and learns she has a Heavenly Father who will never leave her or f ...more
Tasha enderby
This was a wonderful tale of faith, it follows a young women Anita Dittman and her Jewish mother and sister Hella. Anita's mother was married to an Aryan many years before Hitler's reign and though their marriage was never easy as Hitler grew stonger the father grew more hateful and one day threw Out Anita's mother and it was all totally legal. Anita comes to know God through a Catholic church when invited to an Easter mass and for this young half Jewish girl it was like coming home. She had alw ...more
Iris
An interesting book, worth reading.
Hannah  Walsh
Anita Dittman is a wonderful example of a girl who never gave up hope - even when imprisoned in a cruel concentration camp, away from her mother and all her loved ones - and always believes God has a purpose for everything.

Anita's story is so amazing and inspiring - how a real girl, not much older than me, could go through all of that so bravely and full of hope.

I've always been interested in WWII, so I've read lots of different kinds of books about it. This one is now one of my very favorit
Wendy
Just recently read this book with my girls for our bedtime reading. It's the true story of a young holocaust survivor, Anita Dittman, whose faith in God gave her strength she could never have imagined to get through the hardest time of her life. Powerful book. We are going to read some of the others in this Daughters of the Faith Series. I highly recommend these to read with your daughters.
Shelby Loura
Wow. This book was truly amazing. It was a story of a Jewish girl and her family who lived during the Holocaust. There were so many struggles that the family went through and I loved that there was a happy ending. Usually, I don't like happy endings for sad books but this was an exception.
Kori Johnson
...And another war book! Who thinks I like war books? What I really liked about this one was that it was the TRUE story of a girl who lived in Germany. I've read plenty of stories from Poland and Holland and such, but this is the first that actually took place in Germany.
Larissa
Different view of the holocaust from the perspective of a confessing christian family. Who had Jewish ancestory, but didn't practice the faith but instead followed christ. A Good book for sharing with children about the 2nd world war and the holocaust.
AlixJamie
I had never heard of Anita Dittman before reading this book. I was astonished and encouraged by her firm faith in God. She clung to him when her world fell to pieces, and she trusted him to work his plan for her life. Inspiring!
Valerie
I am very interested in books regarding the Holocaust. I didn't love the writers style, however I am always amazed at what faith those that suffered during the Holocaust endured. It sure makes my trials seem small.
Pamela York
A good book to introduce the very difficult subject of the holocaust to 9 to 12 year olds. It may be a bit too upsetting for a very sensitive reader. In that case it would still be appropriate for teen reading.
Paige Mefferd
A true heroic heroine! Every day I long to be like Anita Dittman in her walk with Christ Jesus! This is one of my favorite christian historicals. Anita was truly a woman after the heart of God!!
Vicki
This is one of the Daughters of the Faith Series....loved it! The story is based on Anita Dittman's life during her time in Nazi Germany as a Jewish Christian.
Shunammite
short book but when you read it u realize that most of the things that you go through are nothing compared to what others went through
Peyton
LOVE, LOVE, LOVED this AMAZING book!! One that encourages you to pray more than you ever have before!!
Crystal Bailey
Wonderful book for young girls and an encouragement of faithfulness no matter where The Lord places you.
Nana
I cried it was really good book. The author Wendy Lawton. Based on. Anita dittman a must. Read
Grace
This story is captivating, beautiful and tragic all at once.
Glory
One of the best books about Nazi Germany I have ever read!
Annette Steele
Another excellent story!
Annette
Annette marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Patricia Mccormick
Patricia Mccormick marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Chris Druin
Chris Druin marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Alone Yet Not Alone
  • A Father's Promise
  • Amy Carmichael: Rescuer of Precious Gems
  • Anne Frank and the Children of the Holocaust
  • Hero Tales
  • Winnie The Pooh: And The House At Pooh Corner (The Complete Collection Of Stories)
  • Red Rain: The Prequel to Crook Q (Unacccepted, #0.5)
  • Missionary Stories with the Millers (Miller Family)
  • After the War
  • Until We All Come Home: A Harrowing Journey, a Mother's Courage, a Race to Freedom
  • Treasures from Grandma (Grandma's Attic, #4)
  • Enemy Brothers (Living History Library)
  • A Thousand Shall Fall: The Electrifying Story of a Soldier and His Family Who Dared to Practice Their Faith in Hitler's Germany
  • The Persecutor
  • The Hidden Children: The Secret Survivors of the Holocaust
  • Polar The Titanic Bear
  • Treasures of the Snow
  • To See You Again: A True Story of Love in a Time of War
Almost Home: A Story Based on the Life of the Mayflower's Mary Chilton Courage to Run: A Story Based on the Life of Harriet Tubman The Tinker's Daughter: A Story Based on the Life of Mary Bunyan Ransom's Mark: A Story Based on the Life of the Pioneer Olive Oatman The Hallelujah Lass: A Story Based on the Life of Salvation Army Pioneer Eliza Shirley