Start by marking “Shadow of His Hand: A Story Based on the Life of Holocaust Survivor Anita Dittman” as Want to Read:

Shadow of His Hand: A Story Based on the Life of Holocaust Survivor Anita Dittman (Daughters of the Faith)

Young Anita Dittman's world crumbles as Hitler begins his rise to power in Germany, but because she's a Christian and only half-Jewish, Anita feels sure she and her family are safe from "the Final Solution." She couldn't have been more wrong.
Published July 1st 2004 by Moody Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Shadow of His Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow of His Hand

Jesseca Wheaton
Sep 24, 2016 Jesseca Wheaton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.
It took me so long to finish this. Maybe because of the writing style? The true-life story was so fascinating to learn about, and heartbreaking to read. Now I need to go hunting on my dad's bookshelves to find the "adult" version of this. ;)
Vera Godley
Sep 24, 2012 Vera Godley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ISBN: 978-0-8024-4074-7 ~ $6.99 - (ages 8-12)

Wendy Lawton has written another inspiring and accurate portrayal of girls in history in her "Daughers of the Faith Series." Shadow of His Hand is the story of Anita Dittman growing up as a young girl and teen during the rise of Hitler's Nazi Germany and the Holocaust. Anita's mother is Jewish and her father Aryan. Her father determines that he must separate himself from the contamination of his Jewish wife and their children so he completely rejects
Jessica
A moving story about a young girl who hold on to her face in the throat the horrors of Hitler's Holocaust. Anita has a strong faith that keeps her safe as well as guides her on the path to surviving the war. Because the story is based in fact it becomes that much harder to read but it is also a good reminder that there were good people helping to save as many other people as possible.
Kate
Jan 12, 2017 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is very touching and spirit led. God shows up many times in little Anita's life. He is the only one protecting her from the Natizs, being a Jew is very hard.
Groovy Deb♥
Sep 23, 2016 Groovy Deb♥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm so sad. Every time I hear of anything related to this war it makes me sick. This beautiful girl and mother are surely blessed by God. Sutherland Wendy, you did a great job with this. It told so much in an easy read.
Megan
Dec 09, 2012 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shadow of His Hand is the story of Anita Dittman, a young girl who survives Hitler’s Nazi Germany and the Holocaust. Trials begin early for young Anita when her own father rejects her, favoring her older sister over her. Soon Anita, her sister, and their mother are cast out of their house by their Aryan father who says he will support them financially, but ultimately does not. One Easter Sunday, Anita goes to church with friends and learns she has a Heavenly Father who will never leave her or f ...more
Tasha enderby
Jan 30, 2011 Tasha enderby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, world-war-ii
This was a wonderful tale of faith, it follows a young women Anita Dittman and her Jewish mother and sister Hella. Anita's mother was married to an Aryan many years before Hitler's reign and though their marriage was never easy as Hitler grew stonger the father grew more hateful and one day threw Out Anita's mother and it was all totally legal. Anita comes to know God through a Catholic church when invited to an Easter mass and for this young half Jewish girl it was like coming home. She had alw ...more
Victoria
Aug 09, 2014 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book a lot. All of Wendy Lawton''s "Daughters of the Faith" series are very good. This is about a little girl named Anita who has a mother which is a Jew and a German father. Sometime when Hitler comes to power, their father wants a divorce from his wife because he is ashamed to be seen with a Jewish wife. Their mother takes the Anita and her sister with her. Eventually when it is no longer safe for Jews to be around, they get a ticket for Anita's sister to sail to England. Anita' ...more
Hannah Walsh
Jun 05, 2011 Hannah Walsh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anita Dittman is a wonderful example of a girl who never gave up hope - even when imprisoned in a cruel concentration camp, away from her mother and all her loved ones - and always believes God has a purpose for everything.

Anita's story is so amazing and inspiring - how a real girl, not much older than me, could go through all of that so bravely and full of hope.

I've always been interested in WWII, so I've read lots of different kinds of books about it. This one is now one of my very favorit
pamela harrington
So sad

So sad on what Hitler did to so many Jews and so many people that helped them. God was with so many as long has they kept their faith in Him. As hard as this is to do sometimes God will protect you. Anita found this how wonderful God really is and how He protected His children. God's Word will never leave us it will protect,heal, and comfort us. Anita faith was strong because she believed and stepped out in faith that God was and always will be with her.
Carlos
Dec 23, 2014 Carlos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esta historia basada en la vida de Anita Dittman, una pequeña niña judía sobreviviente del Holocausto, a pesar de ser desgarradora es una historia que nos demuestra que a pesar de los problemas que pueden llegar a presentarse en nuestras vidas, Dios siempre nos estará ocultando a la sombra de su mano, con su inmensa gracia y amor hacia nosotros, sus hijos.

Encuentra la reseña completa en el blog: http://leyendoconcarlos.tumblr.com/po...
Wendy
Jul 26, 2011 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just recently read this book with my girls for our bedtime reading. It's the true story of a young holocaust survivor, Anita Dittman, whose faith in God gave her strength she could never have imagined to get through the hardest time of her life. Powerful book. We are going to read some of the others in this Daughters of the Faith Series. I highly recommend these to read with your daughters.
AlixJamie
Jun 12, 2010 AlixJamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had never heard of Anita Dittman before reading this book. I was astonished and encouraged by her firm faith in God. She clung to him when her world fell to pieces, and she trusted him to work his plan for her life. Inspiring!
Valerie
Aug 08, 2010 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am very interested in books regarding the Holocaust. I didn't love the writers style, however I am always amazed at what faith those that suffered during the Holocaust endured. It sure makes my trials seem small.
Shelby Loura
Mar 30, 2013 Shelby Loura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This book was truly amazing. It was a story of a Jewish girl and her family who lived during the Holocaust. There were so many struggles that the family went through and I loved that there was a happy ending. Usually, I don't like happy endings for sad books but this was an exception.
Kori
Jul 12, 2014 Kori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
...And another war book! Who thinks I like war books? What I really liked about this one was that it was the TRUE story of a girl who lived in Germany. I've read plenty of stories from Poland and Holland and such, but this is the first that actually took place in Germany.
Larissa
Different view of the holocaust from the perspective of a confessing christian family. Who had Jewish ancestory, but didn't practice the faith but instead followed christ. A Good book for sharing with children about the 2nd world war and the holocaust.
Pamela York
Sep 11, 2012 Pamela York rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book to introduce the very difficult subject of the holocaust to 9 to 12 year olds. It may be a bit too upsetting for a very sensitive reader. In that case it would still be appropriate for teen reading.
Vicki
Jun 30, 2011 Vicki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the Daughters of the Faith Series....loved it! The story is based on Anita Dittman's life during her time in Nazi Germany as a Jewish Christian.
Shunammite
Oct 23, 2008 Shunammite rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
short book but when you read it u realize that most of the things that you go through are nothing compared to what others went through
Paige Mefferd
Jul 26, 2011 Paige Mefferd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A true heroic heroine! Every day I long to be like Anita Dittman in her walk with Christ Jesus! This is one of my favorite christian historicals. Anita was truly a woman after the heart of God!!
Crystal Bailey
Jan 01, 2013 Crystal Bailey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-read-aloud
Wonderful book for young girls and an encouragement of faithfulness no matter where The Lord places you.
Barbara
This is an abbreviated version of the story, and details seem to get sketchy, but of interest nonetheless.
Peyton
Jul 27, 2011 Peyton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE, LOVE, LOVED this AMAZING book!! One that encourages you to pray more than you ever have before!!
Brooke
Brooke rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Johanna
Johanna rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2008
Joy
Joy rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2013
Ashley Hellman
Ashley Hellman rated it liked it
May 08, 2015
Nana
Jul 08, 2012 Nana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: done
I cried it was really good book. The author Wendy Lawton. Based on. Anita dittman a must. Read
Amelia Adams
Amelia Adams rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2013
  • Alone Yet Not Alone
  • A Father's Promise
  • Listen for the Whippoorwill
  • Corrie Ten Boom: Keeper of the Angels' Den (Chrisitan Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Rebel's Keep (Crown and Covenant, #3)
  • Anne Frank and the Children of the Holocaust
  • Treasures from Grandma (Grandma's Attic, #4)
  • Sergeant York and the Great War (Men of Courage)
  • Twice Freed
  • Until We All Come Home: A Harrowing Journey, a Mother's Courage, a Race to Freedom
  • My Little Pony: Micro-Series: #1: Twilight Sparkle
  • The Killer Bear (Sugar Creek Gang, #2)
  • Red Rain (Unacccepted, #1)
  • The Night Crossing
  • Trapped in Hitler's Hell: A Young Jewish Girl Discovers the Messiah's Faithfulness in the Midst of the Holocaust
  • A Prisoner and Yet
  • Missionary Stories with the Millers (Miller Family)

Daughters of the Faith (9 books)
  • Indian Paintbrush: A Story Based on the Life of Young Eliza Spalding Warren
  • Freedom's Pen: A Story Based on the Life of Freed Slave and Author Phillis Wheatley
  • The Captive Princess: A Story Based on the Life of Young Pocahontas
  • The Tinker's Daughter: A Story Based on the Life of Mary Bunyan
  • Courage to Run: A Story Based on the Life of Harriet Tubman
  • Almost Home: A Story Based on the Life of the Mayflower's Mary Chilton
  • Ransom's Mark: A Story Based on the Life of the Pioneer Olive Oatman
  • The Hallelujah Lass: A Story Based on the Life of Salvation Army Pioneer Eliza Shirley