The Battle of the Red Hot Pepper Weenies: And Other Warped and Creepy Tales

The Battle of the Red Hot Pepper Weenies: And Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series #4)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  417 ratings  ·  67 reviews
A girl doesn’t have a date for the school dance—until her dad makes one for her in his lab. “Lily—meet Stitchy.” A family enjoysa nice Thanksgiving dinner—until they are interrupted by a torrent of turkeys out for revenge. A princess meets a pea-brained suitor. And the battle of two red hot pepper weenies ends in flames.

Critically-acclaimed author and master of the macabre...more
Published March 3rd 2009 by Starscape

To ask other readers questions about The Battle of the Red Hot Pepper Weenies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Battle of the Red Hot Pepper Weenies

Trent Spieker
i recommend this book to anyone who is into twisted stories. This book has a different goofy, funny, twisted, and loony stories every chapter. One of my favorite chapters was when two kids went to an amusement park and stole a meatball sandwich. Then, on one of the rides, the kid that stole it got spun around so much that he turned into a meatballs and that what they used on the sandwich. This book is very goofy and i would read more of them.
Brenna
In David Lubar's book The Battle of the Hot Pepper Weenies, he had written a bunch of short stories about pepper battles, giant turkeys, vegetarians, and of course...weenies! David Lubar is a book writer, video game designer, and a short story writer. David Lubar loves to write fun books or short stories about fun and random things, he likes to have a fun time writing the book instead of being boring, he wants children to love and want to read his books!
There is a short story inside of The Bat...more
Cheryl in CC NV
Saplings that could grow into Twilight Zone episodes. Most are at least a little funny, a few are poignant, a few are truly creepy. Perfect for 9-12 year-olds, surprisingly fun for anyone else who just can't get enough of short-short SF&F stories. I will look for more by the author. Oh, the 'Weenies series' books definitely stand alone.
Brenna McEvitt
My fourth grade students loved this book. I thought it was definitely strange and sometimes disturbing. Each short story has a fantasy element that drives the story. For example, a boy who wants to sneak into a movie that is much too scary and gory for his age level finds himself inside a movie theater where he chooses an avatar and feels the pain of that character in the movie. In the end, the character dies and so does the boy who snuck into the movie. I do appreciate that each story has a mor...more
Jock Zollinger
This book includes weird, creepy, and scary short stories. I would recommend this book to those who like scary stories. I would rate this a 4 because most of the stories had unexpected endings.
Daniel M.
This book is about some kids batteling to see ho has the hottest pepers until they find out that there is a pepper that
Howardh014
This girl doesn't have a date for her school dance. But when her father decides to make a robot for her to go with to the dance. The robots name is Stitchy. When they got to the school dance boys made fun of him put when one really got him mad they got in a huge fight. The fight was so huge the girl, robot, and the boy who was making fun of him got kicked out. When the girls family is eating a nice Thanksgiving dinner a torrent of turkeys are out for revenge for those red hot pepper weenies. The...more
Kyle Chiger
Mar 25, 2014 Kyle Chiger marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book a three because I like the humor and it had a new story every chapter, and there were a lot of chapters. There was one chapter about a boy getting stuck in a store and manikins attacking him. Then in another chapter these kids are playing king of the hill when all of a sudden the hill turns into a head and eats them.
Thomas Quinn
I heard about this book from my good friend Rob. I thought this book was going to be good because I read the first book The Curse Of The Campfire Weenies. Was a whole bunch of short stories that were either funny or scary or mysterious. So this book was extremley good it wasnt just one type of book the book was whole bunch of different types of books and thats why i love short stories books. They are so interesting. One of the short stories was a kid who borrowed a umbrella from an old lady. The...more
Tyler Wages
This book by David lubar is the battle of the hot pepper weenies . It is a very good book because the setting is told by the describe words. The two main charter are Len and Dylan which are the main chaters that were haveing the war . When they were doing all of this it was at school . At the end of the battle they were eating cream cheese and white bread . Right before the end there noses were running .
It was a great book because in the story David lubar tells many details about the story . H...more
Colin V.B
When I saw The Battle of the Red Hot Pepper Weenies on the shelf at the book fair last year I thought, "What is this? This books has to be one of the weirdest books ever!" I was right about that, but it was weird in a good way. This book is a collection of humurous, mysterious, and creepy short stories that mixes comic and creepy. Some of these tales consist of: a girl who doesn't have a date to a prom, so the dad made a kid named Stitchy. A family of Veagans gets eaten by giant mutant turkeys o...more
Ian
This book was filled with exciting and absolutely gratafiying short stories. The author was very clever in his exciting humor and chest thumping humor. I would recommend this book to anyone that is looking for a great book to fill their spirits, and wanting somthing that they can keep turning the page to. The many short stories are of all waky thinking that you might think that a toddler will have. When you are reading this, you never know what to expect from this author that is truly remarkable...more
Robert O'shaughnessy
I learned a lot from this book. It was really amazing. David Lubar has a talent mixed with a sense of humor almost attached to some scary things. Its a perfect combination. I learned that if you write about something you like it will turn out better. I would also like to complement Lubars usage of fictional creepy tales mixed with short storie ability to make a full book. One story that stood out to me was the one about a boy whos hand is slighty growing each day and it gets huge but when he cal...more
Michelle
Disclaimer: I am not a big fan of short stories. My experience is that the typical short story is an idea for a novel that just didn't pan out for the author. Having said that, I can say this was a superb collection of twisted, bizarre, scary and moralistic tales. This book was recommended by a student--an avid reader, who said, "I can't tell you what it's about; it's just weird. You have to read it." So I did. In one sitting. As each story concluded, I could hardly wait to dive into the next--j...more
Jay
I enjoyed the creepy tales in this book. I don't read short story collections too often, at least recently, and it was a nice change. I really liked that the author included quick sketches of where he got the idea for each story.

I handed this book to my youngest son as soon as I finished it. My older boy borrowed it from him immediately and, an hour later (when he was halfway through it), told me that he thought it might be too scary for his brother. "If it's too scary," I said, "He can quit rea...more
Allison
Lubar, David Battle of the Red Hot Pepper Weenies 192pgs. Starscape Language~PG, Sexual Content~PG; Violence~PG-13

In his fourth ‘weenie’ book, Lubar has again come up with bizarre, humorous, and sometimes scary & disturbing short stories for teens. A girl need a date for the school dance, so her father creates one named ‘Stitchy.’ A carnival ride brings to mind a whole other reason for screams and much more! You may want to read this one with the lights on. A sure laugh-out- loud thrilling...more
Michael 11-12
I liked this book because of the weenies and how they look so funny.David lubar was really clever in doing weenies I hope to raed the next ones because I like these books there really fascinating and I just think its reall really funny.Im curios what the next book is going to be like because I never found the other ones.Most of all it was great!Also I forgot to tell you guys that David Lubar is a video game designer how awesome is that!
Tippy Jackson
Really imaginative. A huge range of ideas. How the author could pack so much story and punch into each couple of pages is amazing to me. And yes, I am writing about a book with the word "Weenies" in the title. The sub-title is probably a better indicator of what you'll find in this book-"warped and creepy tales." That's what it is. A really light read, easy to pick up for a minute of two for a moment of fun.
Tanja
A collection of at times funny, often weird, and as the book progresses, scarier getting stories. Unfortunately, I lost my momentum a bit somewhere along the line - and actually didn't read the last few stories. Really liked it in the beginning but as it got darker and darker, I missed some of the fun stuff that had made me laugh out loud in some of the earlier stories.
Eric W
I gave this book a three because I like action/adventure and it had a new story every chapter, and there were a lot of chapters. There was one chapter about a boy getting stuck in a store and manikins attacking him. Then in another chapter these kids are playing king of the hill when all of a sudden the hill turns into a head and eats them.
Cheyenne
I think this is a cool but weird because its just a whole bunch of different stories. Sometimes it leaves me hanging and I don't like that.Sometimes it can really be hard to follow.There's just no way I can describe it really.Its like it says on the cover all the stories in it are warped.Its really confusing and not my type of book.
Jared
What I think of this story is the short stories are really funny and creepy. If anyone gets this book they should read it A.S.A.P.. It is one of the best books I've ever read. One of the reasons I think it's such a good book is because all the short stories are unique in their own way because they are all a different subject.
Jane
As we were settling in for SSR a few weeks ago, a 9th grade boy yelled out, "READING IS FOR WEENIES."
"Glad you think so," I said. Then I handed him this book. He loved it. Lubar's short stories are perfect for boys. I've read some of the stories aloud to my 7th grade class and the girls there liked them too.
Christy
Interesting book of short stories. Not exactly what I had in mind. Some are quite dark, which isn't a problem as I liked them; I just wasn't expecting it. Great for kids who need quick changes of pace as the stories are roughly 2-6 pages in length each, so it keeps the pace moving.
Ingrid
This book contains a collection of short stories. Some of them are very funny, some are creepy, some have a moral, and some of them remind me of the Twilight Zone. My favorite was The Battle of the Red Hot Pepper Weenies. I think that boys in particular would like this book.
the Reeds
Short stories with twist endings such as 'Frankendance' where young Lily hasn't been asked to the dance so dad creates a date. His name is 'Stitchy' ... you get the idea. Only read a few of the stories, couldn't read anymore. There are others that are much better.
Asenath
Collection of short stories perfect for junior high students. The stories are quirky, odd things--like if you braces came alive and tried to eat you etc. I liked the story about meeting Bad Luck the best.
Windmill D2
George,
I think this book is really funny and has lots of fantasy. And this book is filled a short story's per chapter, so don't expect a main character. I really recommend this book for 10-16 age.
Melissa
The stories weren't scary or interesting. True, I'm not a 9 year old, but I really disliked the writing. The stories were definitely strange but they were so short there wasn't any sort of tone created.
Morgan
i loved all the silly tales and i love how he came up with them.David Lubar is a great author for ALL ages. I would defiantly recommend this book to anybody that likes fun stories about fun things!
How it is so weird 2 9 Sep 30, 2011 05:39AM
  • Return of the Home Run Kid
  • Revenge of the Living Dummy (Goosebump HorrorLand, #1)
  • Bites: Scary Stories to Sink Your Teeth Into
  • The Day My Butt Went Psycho
  • Long Shot (Comeback Kids)
  • Tripping Over the Lunch Lady and Other School Stories
  • White Socks Only
  • Jim & Me (A Baseball Card Adventure #8)
  • Trickle Up Poverty: Stopping Obama's Attack on Our Borders, Economy, and Security
  • Big Nate Boredom Buster: Super Scribbles, Cool Comix, and Lots of Laughs
  • Zapato Power: Freddy Ramos Takes Off
  • Toad Heaven (Toad, #2)
  • We Are Not Eaten by Yaks
  • Charlotte's Rose
  • Day of the Iguana
  • Till Death Do Us Bark (43 Old Cemetery Road, #3)
  • We Can't All Be Rattlesnakes
  • Guys Read: Funny Business (Guys Read, #1)
20936
David Lubar created a sensation with his debut novel, Hidden Talents, an ALA Best Book for Young Adults. Thousands of kids and educators across the country have voted Hidden Talents onto over twenty state lists. David is also the author of True Talents, the sequel to Hidden Talents; Flip, an ALA Best Book for Young Adults and a VOYA Best Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror selection; several short...more
More about David Lubar...
Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie Hidden Talents (Talents, #1) Punished! True Talents (Talents, #2) Dunk