Start by marking “A Girl Like Moi (The Fashion-Forward Adventures of Imogene, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Girl Like Moi (The Fashion-Forward Adventures of Imogene, #1)

A Girl Like Moi (The Fashion-Forward Adventures of Imogene #1)

A girl. A dream job. A city full of possibilities...

Imogene is obsessed with fashion. Combine that with her talent for trouble (aka maxing out her "emergencies only" AmEx) and suddenly she's not going to "chere Paris" with her best friend for the summer. No, she must do the unthinkable for a stylish Greenwich girl such as herself -- get a job.

Resourceful as always, Imogene
Published December 1st 2006 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about A Girl Like Moi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Girl Like Moi

Michelle
Feb 20, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: girls interested in FASHION!
Shelves: reading-of-07-08
A Girl Like Moi
by Lisa Barham Simon Pulse, December 2006, 265pp.,$8.99 ISBN-13: 978-1-4169-1443-3
ISBN- 10: 1-4169-1443-9

Did you always think a rich girl's life is perfect? Well, Imogene's isn't in A Girl Like Moi, by Lisa Barham. She attends Greenwich Country Academy where rich girls wear Dior sandals in the winter and fur coats through the summer. Imogene is in charge of the style column of the school paper, where she must keep up to the lastest trends for her slot to make sense. However, com
Noemi claudine
Sep 07, 2009 Noemi claudine rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! this book starts of with a girl named imogen who lives in greenwitch conneticut and goes to fancey school and loves fashion. She wanted to go to paris with her Best Friend Forever Evie. When she maxes out her credit card her parents are furious and she ends up having to stay in conneticut., when she secretly ends up going to New York she becomes an intern to a fashion industry where bad and good things happen. she meets boys, works with clothes, and meets celebretues. She has ...more
Bevin
May 01, 2008 Bevin rated it it was amazing
This book I reallyyyyyy really liked it! I havn't read the sequel so I don't know how good it is. It's called Project Paris. Oh, just be careful there's some bad words in it too.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jocelyn Pearce for TeensReadToo.com

Imogene, teenaged fashionista on a budget, journalist, and big dreamer, is devastated when her astronomical credit card bill causes her parents to cancel her trip to Paris and sign her up for a summer internship program until she can pay back all of her debt. Soon, though, things for the resourceful, quick-thinking girl from Greenwich, Connecticut, are looking up. Rather than spending countless hours going crazy at a dreary public library internship
Yunia Damayanti
Actual rating 2.5 stars

I like the characters, Imogene is funny person. But, in some ways this book is lack of conflict and the relation among each characters through conversation wasn't that good.

Although, I was laughing multiple times while reading this book.
Sep 24, 2012 Jennifer rated it did not like it
The first thing that pops into my mind when I hear fashion is the good life. That's probably what Imogene thought before her dreams of living what we call “the good life” came true. Imogene goes through some hard times her first year in the fashion industry, but it all gets easier. Will it be so much easier it will be considered “the good life”? A Girl Like Moi, the fashion forward novel by Lisa Barham, will show you how hard it can be living in a world full of fashion.
In this fashion forward no
Alexandra Cisneros
Dec 10, 2016 Alexandra Cisneros rated it it was ok
Alexandra Cisneros

A Girl Like Moi

Overall I didn't enjoy reading the novel very much. I found the novel a little cheesy and boring. I really enjoyed the concept of the novel; however, I have read many novels that were very similar. The plot of the novel was a girl named Imogene who dreamt of her own clothing company. Though many parts in the novel I found the story uneventful. Many of the events that occurred were very repetitive and confusing. For instance, Imogene discussed clothes and what pri
Kim
May 27, 2007 Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, 2007
A girly read with fashion at its center. The way it was presented was quite different from the usual book with this premise. I can easily judge a book's likability just by looking at how long it took me to read it. Took me one full week for this one. It was possibly slowed by the fact that I'm watching House DVDs but I know that I would have taken more than two days anyways. One or two days or three if it's a thick one means the book was excellent. More, just means it wasn't as much.

It was diffe
Andrea Ika
Feb 11, 2014 Andrea Ika rated it liked it
Book Review : A Girl Like Moi: The Fashion-Forward Adventures of Imogene

Lisa Barham

My rating : 3 stars

Blurb
A girl. A dream job. A city full of possibilities... Imogene is obsessed with fashion. Combine that with her talent for trouble (aka maxing out her "emergencies only" AmEx) and suddenly she's not going to chere Paris with her best friend for the summer. No, she must do the unthinkable for a stylish Greenwich girl such as herself -- get a job. Resourceful as always, Imogene works her connect
Keri
Aug 06, 2015 Keri rated it liked it
This book wasn't great, but it sure was fun. Imogene reminds me a lot of Eloise. In fact, if the Eloise books were written with Eloise as a teenager, I'm sure the young girl would've acted a lot like Imogene.

Imogene is a teen girl who comes from old money, money so old that it doesn't provide Imogene with high class living as much as an upper class status. Imogene is spunky and loud and spends her summer interning in New York for a fashion magazine (after getting fired from her job at McDonalds
Nian
Sep 25, 2007 Nian rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fashionistas
Shelves: 2007
Another new author that I'm trying. Although I wouldn't praise the book too highly and recommend it to everyone I come in contact with, I would say it was okay enough for me to finish it.

Imogene, sixteen, lives at Greenwich, and just as she and her best friend are planning to go to Paris, things go all wrong. Because Imogene had overspent and swipped her credit card way too many times and left a huge debt, her mother is making her work over the summer so she can pay it off herself. Ever the fas
Mar 16, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This is a very good book. I've read it twice. It's about a girl who lives in Greenwich Connecticut who goes to a private school and is addicted to fashion. Imogene and her bestie Evie have great adventures in New York while she is an intern at Hautelaw, only THE hottest fashion forecasting firm. But she has to deal with her parents who think that she's spending way too much, and a snake of a girl named Brook, and her posse who always make her feel like she's crash landed in the land of Oz. Imoge ...more
Miarani Widhiyata
Gadis seperti MOI adalah kisah luar biasa lucu, menggemaskan, Karakter dalam "A Girl like MOI" adalah mengagumkan, dan ditulisnya begitu brilian. Saya benar-benar suka Tokoh utama Imogene, anak perempuan periang yang tergila2 fashion, saya akan senang untuk membaca lebih dari Lisa Barham apa pun yang ia menulis, tapi saya akan benar-benar gembira untuk melihat sekuel buku ini, sangat mengagumkan! Meskipun saya tidak suka buku-buku dengan gambar, ilustrasi dalam buku ini sama baiknya dengan cerit ...more
Kami
Mar 29, 2014 Kami rated it it was amazing
I loved A Girls Like Moi because i am a very fashion forward person and love to read about fashion anything. It was also a very inspiring story about a girl who followed her dreams. She was passionate and excited and made the book interesting. It had a great and sweet romance in it that was touching. I would recommend the book to any girl even if you are not very fashionable or if you don like fashion, it was a great book that i loved!
Jodi
Apr 14, 2011 Jodi rated it really liked it
Shelves: fun-books, fiction
This was a cute book, but highly unlikely to be or come true. I enjoyed reading this book. This book is good for high school age girls who are interested in fashion and exploring the world. When my niece gets older, I am definitely going to get her this book! And I love how there is a sequel to the book. I was originally going to get the 2nd book, until I realized that this was the first book of the series.
Taylor
Apr 21, 2012 Taylor rated it it was amazing
Probably one of the best books I have ever read. I first read it when I was eleven, then again when I was thirteen, and then again when I was fifteen. I seriously think I was Imogene, the main character, in another life. I am considering reading it a fourth time, just to have it fresh in my memory. I would recommend this for any girl who is obsessed with fashion and the whole East Coast scene. Personally, those are my two loves in life. I cannot even describe how utterly fabulous this book is.
Megan M.
Feb 12, 2008 Megan M. rated it really liked it
Very very good book about fashion. I enjoyed it. I would recommend it for those who are going into the fashion/magazine business world. It tells the tales of a girl who is trying to make her money's worth. She wants to be a magazine editor more than anything in the world and she has a shopping addiction which is quite horrible to have if you don't have money to spend as she soon finds out. She gets a chance at her dream job, but then things take a turn for the worse.
Diana
Jun 15, 2013 Diana rated it it was ok
I found this book in my daughter's car and as often the case was intrigued by the cover. Adore a Vespa! This is YA book. It is a good read for a young lady who aspires to work in fashion and loves New York. At times, it reminded me of The Carrie Diaries. Imogene, the main character, is a teen who dreams of her future. She loves her parents, learns valuable lessons of the importance of living within your means, falls in love and ultimately travels to Paris. A fairy tale with a happy ending.
Waffle...♥
Jan 30, 2009 Waffle...♥ rated it really liked it
VERY cheezy and unreal. But it's super cute!

A book for fashionistas out there!

There are alot of fashion companies mentioned in this and I lost track! Oh and the super hot Italian boy is so wierd, he proclaims his love for Imogene when he barely even met her. Oh wells, its cute! :)

Good moral too...
Courteney
Mar 13, 2014 Courteney rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen-drama, fashion
Imogene a girl with tons of flair joins Haute-law a fashion company who is out to start the trends of the season. She soon meets a boy, a mean girl, and has an apartment to herself and her best friend. She survives the summer but barely. She is soon a minor celebrity and receives free clothing from all the top designers. She also goes to Paris like she planned for the summer.
Elena
Jun 10, 2010 Elena rated it it was amazing
this book is my all time favorite, its about a girl who is in 2 fashion, she has so many dreams and she follows them and never gives up, i have read this book more than 3 times and every time i read it it gets better and better, i also go to this book for insperation and advice, right now its my most prized possesion!!!!!!
Lindsey
Apr 06, 2010 Lindsey rated it liked it
It was cute. The writer is funny: the way she expresses herself made me laugh out loud in some parts. It kind of reminded me of Confessions of a Shopaholic in that it was very similar characters and storyline.
Jenlbot
Jan 13, 2009 Jenlbot rated it really liked it
Completely chose this book for it's cover. Who could resist the artwork AND the pink scooter. Such a great tween/teen book. I fell in love with Imogene and her life in the fashion world (so much better than The Devil Wears Prada)!
Gaby
Jul 27, 2015 Gaby rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
The only thing that salvages this book from a one star rating is the beautiful art inside its pages, but other than that this book is pretty bad. That being said, I did give this book a try quite a fair amount of times over the years and every single time it was a DNF for me.
Ashley Burbeck
I thought this book was really good. It had to do with fashion a lot. Which was interesting to read about. I never really knew there was so much about fashion that could be put in a book. I enjoyed this book.
Jul 19, 2008 Sarah rated it did not like it
I'm doing research for my higher-level readers and tried this one out. If you have a student who is REALLY, REALLY into The Devil Wears Prada-like books, this would be a good recommendation. Otherwise...wow, bad.
Michelle Arrow
Dec 10, 2012 Michelle Arrow rated it really liked it
I read this book a while ago, but I do remember how much I liked it instead of Accidentally Fabulous. It was funny, fun and I loved the cover! It tells you the life of a girl who wants to be in the fashion business. :)
dara
Feb 07, 2010 dara rated it liked it
ahahaha, just another meaningless book, but i love it, funny
Audrey
Jan 06, 2008 Audrey rated it did not like it
i didnt finish the book, it seemed to have one tooo many simularities with sophiekinsellas shopoholic books.
Eli
Oct 22, 2013 Eli rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, 2013
I am not the target audience for this book.
  • Rich Girls (Confessions of a Teen Nanny, #2)
  • Fashionistas (Interns, #1)
  • Violet in Private (Violet, #3)
  • Deep in the Heart of High School
  • Lily B. on the Brink of Love
  • Poser
  • The Salem Witch Tryouts (Salem Witch, #1)
  • Life as a Poser (The 310, #1)
  • Four Things My Geeky-Jock-Of-A-Best-Friend Must Do in Europe
  • The Winter of Candy Canes (Sweet Seasons, #3)
  • Frogs & French Kisses (Magic in Manhattan, #2)
  • Adelaide Piper
  • Cindy Ella
  • Leap of Faith
  • Switch
  • Write Here, Right Now (Flirt, #1)
  • The Crushes (Heartbreakers, #2)
  • Popular Vote
Lisa Barham is the author of the popular Young Adult book series, The Fashion Forward Adventures of Imogene, from Simon and Schuster.

A Graduate of F.I.T., Lisa began her career as an editor at I.M. International, one of the world's first fashion forecasting and consulting firms in the U.S. Shortly thereafter she moved into film production, working for such notables as Robert DeNiro and Woody Alle
More about Lisa Barham...

The Fashion-Forward Adventures of Imogene (3 books)
  • Project Paris (The Fashion-Forward Adventures of Imogene, #2)
  • Accidentally Fabulous (The Fashion-Forward Adventures of Imogene, #3)