A Girl Like Moi (The Fashion-Forward Adventures of Imogene, #1)

A Girl Like Moi (The Fashion-Forward Adventures of Imogene #1)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  493 ratings  ·  57 reviews
A girl. A dream job. A city full of possibilities...

Imogene is obsessed with fashion. Combine that with her talent for trouble (aka maxing out her "emergencies only" AmEx) and suddenly she's not going to "chere Paris" with her best friend for the summer. No, she must do the unthinkable for a stylish Greenwich girl such as herself -- get a job.

Resourceful as always, Imogene...more
Published December 1st 2006 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about A Girl Like Moi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Girl Like Moi

Airhead by Meg CabotBeing Nikki by Meg CabotPoseur by Rachel MaudeRunaway by Meg CabotThe Good, the Fab, and the Ugly by Rachel Maude
YA Fashion Books
24th out of 42 books — 67 voters
Uglies by Scott WesterfeldHex Hall by Rachel HawkinsBetrayed by P.C. CastBurned by P.C. CastChosen by P.C. Cast
Aimee's 100 in 2010
80th out of 98 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Michelle
Mar 12, 2008 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: girls interested in FASHION!
Shelves: reading-of-07-08
A Girl Like Moi
by Lisa Barham Simon Pulse, December 2006, 265pp.,$8.99 ISBN-13: 978-1-4169-1443-3
ISBN- 10: 1-4169-1443-9

Did you always think a rich girl's life is perfect? Well, Imogene's isn't in A Girl Like Moi, by Lisa Barham. She attends Greenwich Country Academy where rich girls wear Dior sandals in the winter and fur coats through the summer. Imogene is in charge of the style column of the school paper, where she must keep up to the lastest trends for her slot to make sense. However, com...more
Noemi claudine
I loved this book! this book starts of with a girl named imogen who lives in greenwitch conneticut and goes to fancey school and loves fashion. She wanted to go to paris with her Best Friend Forever Evie. When she maxes out her credit card her parents are furious and she ends up having to stay in conneticut., when she secretly ends up going to New York she becomes an intern to a fashion industry where bad and good things happen. she meets boys, works with clothes, and meets celebretues. She has...more
Bevin
This book I reallyyyyyy really liked it! I havn't read the sequel so I don't know how good it is. It's called Project Paris. Oh, just be careful there's some bad words in it too.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jocelyn Pearce for TeensReadToo.com

Imogene, teenaged fashionista on a budget, journalist, and big dreamer, is devastated when her astronomical credit card bill causes her parents to cancel her trip to Paris and sign her up for a summer internship program until she can pay back all of her debt. Soon, though, things for the resourceful, quick-thinking girl from Greenwich, Connecticut, are looking up. Rather than spending countless hours going crazy at a dreary public library internship...more
Andrea Ika
Book Review : A Girl Like Moi: The Fashion-Forward Adventures of Imogene

Lisa Barham

My rating : 3 stars

Blurb
A girl. A dream job. A city full of possibilities... Imogene is obsessed with fashion. Combine that with her talent for trouble (aka maxing out her "emergencies only" AmEx) and suddenly she's not going to chere Paris with her best friend for the summer. No, she must do the unthinkable for a stylish Greenwich girl such as herself -- get a job. Resourceful as always, Imogene works her connect...more
The first thing that pops into my mind when I hear fashion is the good life. That's probably what Imogene thought before her dreams of living what we call “the good life” came true. Imogene goes through some hard times her first year in the fashion industry, but it all gets easier. Will it be so much easier it will be considered “the good life”? A Girl Like Moi, the fashion forward novel by Lisa Barham, will show you how hard it can be living in a world full of fashion.
In this fashion forward no...more
Nian
Sep 29, 2007 Nian rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fashionistas
Shelves: 2007
Another new author that I'm trying. Although I wouldn't praise the book too highly and recommend it to everyone I come in contact with, I would say it was okay enough for me to finish it.

Imogene, sixteen, lives at Greenwich, and just as she and her best friend are planning to go to Paris, things go all wrong. Because Imogene had overspent and swipped her credit card way too many times and left a huge debt, her mother is making her work over the summer so she can pay it off herself. Ever the fas...more
Kim
Jul 04, 2007 Kim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya, 2007
A girly read with fashion at its center. The way it was presented was quite different from the usual book with this premise. I can easily judge a book's likability just by looking at how long it took me to read it. Took me one full week for this one. It was possibly slowed by the fact that I'm watching House DVDs but I know that I would have taken more than two days anyways. One or two days or three if it's a thick one means the book was excellent. More, just means it wasn't as much.

It was diffe...more
Kami
I loved A Girls Like Moi because i am a very fashion forward person and love to read about fashion anything. It was also a very inspiring story about a girl who followed her dreams. She was passionate and excited and made the book interesting. It had a great and sweet romance in it that was touching. I would recommend the book to any girl even if you are not very fashionable or if you don like fashion, it was a great book that i loved!
Courteney
Imogene a girl with tons of flair joins Haute-law a fashion company who is out to start the trends of the season. She soon meets a boy, a mean girl, and has an apartment to herself and her best friend. She survives the summer but barely. She is soon a minor celebrity and receives free clothing from all the top designers. She also goes to Paris like she planned for the summer.
Diana
I found this book in my daughter's car and as often the case was intrigued by the cover. Adore a Vespa! This is YA book. It is a good read for a young lady who aspires to work in fashion and loves New York. At times, it reminded me of The Carrie Diaries. Imogene, the main character, is a teen who dreams of her future. She loves her parents, learns valuable lessons of the importance of living within your means, falls in love and ultimately travels to Paris. A fairy tale with a happy ending.
Taylor
Probably one of the best books I have ever read. I first read it when I was eleven, then again when I was thirteen, and then again when I was fifteen. I seriously think I was Imogene, the main character, in another life. I am considering reading it a fourth time, just to have it fresh in my memory. I would recommend this for any girl who is obsessed with fashion and the whole East Coast scene. Personally, those are my two loves in life. I cannot even describe how utterly fabulous this book is.
Megan M.
Very very good book about fashion. I enjoyed it. I would recommend it for those who are going into the fashion/magazine business world. It tells the tales of a girl who is trying to make her money's worth. She wants to be a magazine editor more than anything in the world and she has a shopping addiction which is quite horrible to have if you don't have money to spend as she soon finds out. She gets a chance at her dream job, but then things take a turn for the worse.
Melissa
Generic and predictable
Jodi
This was a cute book, but highly unlikely to be or come true. I enjoyed reading this book. This book is good for high school age girls who are interested in fashion and exploring the world. When my niece gets older, I am definitely going to get her this book! And I love how there is a sequel to the book. I was originally going to get the 2nd book, until I realized that this was the first book of the series.
Elena
this book is my all time favorite, its about a girl who is in 2 fashion, she has so many dreams and she follows them and never gives up, i have read this book more than 3 times and every time i read it it gets better and better, i also go to this book for insperation and advice, right now its my most prized possesion!!!!!!
Waffle...♥
VERY cheezy and unreal. But it's super cute!

A book for fashionistas out there!

There are alot of fashion companies mentioned in this and I lost track! Oh and the super hot Italian boy is so wierd, he proclaims his love for Imogene when he barely even met her. Oh wells, its cute! :)

Good moral too...
Jenlbot
Completely chose this book for it's cover. Who could resist the artwork AND the pink scooter. Such a great tween/teen book. I fell in love with Imogene and her life in the fashion world (so much better than The Devil Wears Prada)!
I'm doing research for my higher-level readers and tried this one out. If you have a student who is REALLY, REALLY into The Devil Wears Prada-like books, this would be a good recommendation. Otherwise...wow, bad.
Michelle Arrow
I read this book a while ago, but I do remember how much I liked it instead of Accidentally Fabulous. It was funny, fun and I loved the cover! It tells you the life of a girl who wants to be in the fashion business. :)
Lindsey
It was cute. The writer is funny: the way she expresses herself made me laugh out loud in some parts. It kind of reminded me of Confessions of a Shopaholic in that it was very similar characters and storyline.
Ashley Burbeck
I thought this book was really good. It had to do with fashion a lot. Which was interesting to read about. I never really knew there was so much about fashion that could be put in a book. I enjoyed this book.
Zoe
Jan 24, 2008 Zoe rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like fashion stuff
Recommended to Zoe by: My friend
This book was pretty good. It was slow at some parts, but over-all the story was very good. It is about Imogene who scores an internship at a magazine in New York... stuff goes wrong.. etc, etc...
Jessie
This is such a fantastic series that I recommend for any teenager girl out there. The whole series is really amazing, Lisa Barham out-did herself on this fantastic series of novels.
Shelby
Mar 06, 2009 Shelby is currently reading it
I <3 this!!! I hate Paolo though...........This a total MUST READ!!!! it is ttly adorabable! This book is basically about a shopaholic! it's halarious!!
Mary-Kate
A very cute, fun teenage girl book. It was enjoyable to read, and I liked it. Although, the plot was a little typical, but then again, most teen books are.
Maggie
Feb 03, 2008 Maggie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Shopaholics, Girly Girls, People who like romance.
Recommended to Maggie by: Lotsa people
Okay book, kinda teaches the wrong morals though. But I like the author's form of writing. Be sure to check out the sequels!
Meg
A Girl Like Moi was a cute, fabulous, fashionable book. The story was interesting and the characters were vibrant.
  • Rich Girls (Confessions of a Teen Nanny, #2)
  • The Salem Witch Tryouts (Salem Witch, #1)
  • Violet in Private (Violet, #3)
  • Threads
  • Lily B. on the Brink of Love
  • Frogs & French Kisses (Magic in Manhattan, #2)
  • How My Private, Personal Journal Became a Bestseller
  • Poser
  • Hollywood is Like High School With Money
  • Life as a Poser (The 310, #1)
  • What If . . . All the Boys Wanted You
  • Four Things My Geeky-Jock-Of-A-Best-Friend Must Do in Europe
  • Wishes and Dreams (Sweet 16, #2)
  • This Year's Model
  • Leap of Faith
  • Fly Me to the Moon
  • The Fall of Candy Corn (Sweet Seasons, #2)
  • Little Miss Red
Lisa Barham is the author of the popular Young Adult book series, The Fashion Forward Adventures of Imogene, from Simon and Schuster.

A Graduate of F.I.T., Lisa began her career as an editor at I.M. International, one of the world's first fashion forecasting and consulting firms in the U.S. Shortly thereafter she moved into film production, working for such notables as Robert DeNiro and Woody Alle...more
More about Lisa Barham...
Project Paris (The Fashion-Forward Adventures of Imogene, #2) Accidentally Fabulous (The Fashion-Forward Adventures of Imogene, #3)