Start by marking “Food Justice” as Want to Read:
Food Justice

Food Justice

In today's food system, farm workers face difficult and hazardous conditions, low-income neighborhoods lack supermarkets but abound in fast-food restaurants and liquor stores, food products emphasize convenience rather than wholesomeness, and the international reach of American fast-food franchises has been a major contributor to an epidemic of "globesity." To combat these ...more
Published October 31st 2010 by MIT Press (MA) (first published January 1st 2010)

sdw
Feb 28, 2011 sdw rated it it was amazing
Are you frustrated with the agrarian nostalgia implicit in the food movement? Are you worried as much about farm workers as you are about farmers? Does the organic movement strike you as elitist? Do you care about food deserts and wonder about the ways eating sustainability as become a marker of socio-economic status? Robert Gottlieb and Anupama Joshi have written the book for you.

What is food justice? “The interpretations of food justice can be complex and nuanced, but the concept is simple an
Kat Lynch
Mar 12, 2013 Kat Lynch rated it liked it
Shelves: eating-the-week
Comprehensive overview of the inequities and problems in the modern food system, domestically and globally. I think a fair amount of this won't be new to people already aware of the issues, but the second half of the book - describing strategies to promote food justice & reshape the system - covered a lot of heartening case studies that I wasn't yet familiar with.
Mlg
May 22, 2011 Mlg rated it liked it
History of the food justice movement from their interest in conditions of labor, growing and producing food to the use of pesticides. The damage that Wal Mart has done to the American farming communities is pretty horrible. Informative book.
Rebecca
Nov 20, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Read for my book club at work. Pretty informative and good overview of food justice movement. Many case studies but no policy suggestions. Have a talk with the authors on Friday for work- will see what they have to say!
pianogal
Jun 19, 2014 pianogal rated it it was ok
I liked some of the ideas in the book, but man was it DRY. It was so hard to read. If I'dve thought it was a textbook, I never would have checked it out from the library.
Astrid
Aug 31, 2014 Astrid rated it really liked it
Good information. I skipped around because there is just so much. The topics covered the loads of examples are a rich introduction to food and the health of communities in general.
Sophie Ackoff
Feb 09, 2012 Sophie Ackoff rated it really liked it
I found its many case studies truly inspiring
Hayleigh
Apr 05, 2015 Hayleigh rated it liked it
Lots of good information, but gets a bit dry and repetitive.
Ginny Martinez
Oct 28, 2016 Ginny Martinez rated it it was amazing
Suggested by Dr Lois Stanford as an introduction to the issue of food justice.
Katherine
Jun 17, 2013 Katherine rated it liked it
Motivates a call for action to stop food injustices in our communities.
Joe Stadtmiller
This book is a bit dated at this point. Gives a decent status of food justices issue for the year 2013 but addresses few solutions for the future.
Julia
Jan 15, 2013 Julia rated it really liked it
To be honest, if I did not have to teach this book, I likely would not have read it. BUT, I was pleasantly surprised and learned a lot and am looking forward to my students' reaction!
Madukrainian
Madukrainian rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2013
Kyle Cavagnini
Kyle Cavagnini rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2014
Ruedigar
Ruedigar rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2013
Monica
Monica rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2015
Manya
Manya rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2014
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2015
Caleigh
Caleigh rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2013
Caitlin Sheehan
Caitlin Sheehan rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2017
Bethanie Kelley
Bethanie Kelley rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was ok
May 25, 2015
Samantha
Samantha rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2015
Kyle F.
Kyle F. rated it it was ok
Jan 30, 2014
Ana Cristina Cujar
Ana Cristina Cujar rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2014
Joe Wheelock
Joe Wheelock rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2016
Josh
Josh rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was ok
Nov 30, 2016
Valerie
Valerie rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Cultivating Food Justice: Race, Class, and Sustainability
  • Weighing In: Obesity, Food Justice, and the Limits of Capitalism
  • Food Rebellions!: Forging Food Sovereignty to Solve the Global Food Crisis
  • A Place at the Table: The Crisis of 49 Million Hungry Americans and How to Solve It
  • Empires of Food: Feast, Famine, and the Rise and Fall of Civilization
  • Closing the Food Gap: Resetting the Table in the Land of Plenty
  • American Dreamers: How the Left Changed a Nation
  • Exiles: Living Missionally in a Post-Christian Culture
  • Stolen Harvest: The Hijacking of the Global Food Supply
  • Diet for a Hot Planet: The Climate Crisis at the End of Your Fork and What You Can Do about It
  • Chicken: The Dangerous Transformation of America's Favorite Food
  • Food Politics
  • The Mouse that Roared: Disney and the End of Innocence (Culture & Education) (Culture & Education Series)
  • Slow Violence and the Environmentalism of the Poor
  • Fair Food: Growing a Healthy, Sustainable Food System for All
  • The Twilight of the American Enlightenment: The 1950s and the Crisis of Liberal Belief
  • Food Fight : The Citizen's Guide to a Food and Farm Bill
  • To Change the World: The Irony, Tragedy, and Possibility of Christianity in the Late Modern World
Robert Gottlieb has been the editor in chief of Alfred A. Knopf and The New Yorker. He is the author of Sarah: The Life of Sarah Bernhard, George Balanchine: The Ballet Maker, Lives and Letters (FSG, 2011), and Great Expectations and is the dance critic for The New York Observer.

More about Robert Gottlieb...