Start by marking “White Shell Woman (Charlie Moon, #7)” as Want to Read:
White Shell Woman (Charlie Moon, #7)

White Shell Woman (Charlie Moon #7)

The two sandstone monoliths towering over the southern Colorado landscape are wrapped in ancient mystery. To the local tribes, they are the Twin War Gods, sons of the moon goddess, White Shell Woman. Legends tell of strange happenings in their shadows, of lost treasure and Anasazi blood sacrifice. But it is a much more recent history that troubles former Ute policeman-turn ...more
Published December 3rd 2002 by Avon (first published January 8th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about White Shell Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Shell Woman

Michael
Ute Tribal Investigator Charlie Moon solves another mystery, this one tied up with myths surrounding sacred rock formations known as the Twin War Gods and secrets left behind by the Anasazi. An archaeologist is found dead at a site in outhern Colorado where a new petroglyph is later unearthed. Charlie and FBI agents come investigate the crime from different angles and a tangled web ensues as more mysterious events and murders ensue. On the way to a very satisfying solution, we are blessed with m ...more
Nancy
Apr 04, 2010 Nancy rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Nancy by: read for book club
I wouldn't have finished this, but it was chosen by my book club. I was hoping to find a series I liked, but this was not one. The characters were unbelieveable and I did not like the writing style. Too many description that were silly or overdone such as we're all alone now like two shunks in a church. Two shunks in a church...??? Or try to remember what you learned in grammar school...don't dip the little redhaired girl's pigtail in the inkwell. ??? What is he 90?
The whole story revolved aroun
George
Oct 31, 2010 George rated it really liked it
#7 in the Charlie Moon, Southern Colorado Ute Indian, former tribal policeman and now special investigator for the Ute tribe. This mystery contains the usual Native American beliefs, customs, legends that are woven into the plots of this series.

Plot here involves Anasazi legends and beliefs at an archaeological site where there has been mysterious goings on and eventually murder and attempted murder.
T J
Jan 06, 2013 T J rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, have-read
Charlie Moon is helping out his tribe when a bloody murder is discovered at a dig site not far from his Aunt's place. This one is wrapped in ancient lore and White Shell Women is right in the middle. This will keep you guessing to the very end.
Serena
Feb 21, 2013 Serena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery

My Rating System:
Amanda Otis
Oct 13, 2014 Amanda Otis rated it really liked it
This book has been one of my favorite Charlie Moon mysteries so far. Some of it really gave me the creeps, especially since I'm a bed time reader, but that is part of the fun of being a Doss fan. Anyone who is interested in the many mysteries surrounding the Anasazi might want to read this novel.
Cat.
Dec 16, 2012 Cat. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Charlie Moon is back, no longer officially employed as a cop. He's now a rancher. But he is asked to investigate the death of an archaeologist killed while trying to find further information on old hidden treasure. Pretty good, but I think I missed a book in the series.
Katharine Ott
"White Shell Woman" - written by James D Doss and published in 2002 by William Morrow. Interesting if a bit forced story featuring "Charlie Moon" and quite similar to Tony Hillerman's books. Read at Severn Lodge in Canada.
Ellen
Oct 20, 2009 Ellen rated it really liked it
As a rancher, Charlie Moon should stick to his former line of work: Ute policeman in southern Colorado. Intriguing case and he solves it -- or does he?
Pauline
Aug 11, 2014 Pauline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, mystery, action
Excellent book in the James Doss Charlie Moon series. Highly recommend it for wonderful escapist, interesting reading.
Doreen
Aug 23, 2011 Doreen rated it really liked it
Recommended to Doreen by: Picked up at yard sale
Love the story line. Haven't reaad one this entertaining since Haunted Mesa. Would definately read it again. Kept ya hooked. Wanted to see what would happen next.
Linda  Branham Greenwell
Feb 01, 2010 Linda Branham Greenwell rated it it was amazing
I love mysteries and I love Native American stories. To have them both combined is amazing
Charlie Moon is a great character... and I definitely want to read more of these mysteries
Carol Waller
Oct 23, 2011 Carol Waller rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Well, I've upped my challenge to 100 since this was #94. Better than Grandmother Spder, not quite as good as Dead Soul.
Cheryl Ruhl
Cheryl Ruhl rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2015
Michael Fox
Michael Fox rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2014
Sean Byrd
Sean Byrd rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2009
Steve Payne
Steve Payne rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2013
Kirsten Ward
Kirsten Ward rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2013
Norma
Norma rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2017
Mike Sonleitner
Mike Sonleitner rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2017
Joelle Steele
Joelle Steele rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2016
Mickey
Mickey rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2010
Roberta Chrobak
Roberta Chrobak rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2012
Laurie DelSignore
Laurie DelSignore rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Brian Allen
Brian Allen rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2012
Charles
Charles rated it liked it
May 05, 2012
Lisa Lorusso
Lisa Lorusso rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2014
Larry Sweeney
Larry Sweeney rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2013
Laurie
Laurie rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2012
White Shell Woman 2 3 Sep 15, 2013 09:37AM
  • The Ghost Walker (Wind River Reservation, #2)
  • Fault Line (Em Hansen Mystery, #7)
  • A Ghost of a Chance (A Shannon Delaney Paranormal Mystery #1)
  • Cry Dance
  • Curses! (Gideon Oliver, #5)
  • Hound
  • Echoes
  • Blackening Song (Ella Clah, #1)
  • Death, Guns, and Sticky Buns (Tori Miracle, #3)
  • Death of a Rug Lord (Den of Antiquity, #14)
  • Mexican Hat (Kevin Kerney, #2)
  • Death Along the Spirit Road (Manny Tanno)
James Daniel Doss, recently retired from the technical staff of Los Alamos National Laboratory, now spends most of his time in a small cabin above Taos -- writing mystery fiction. He also travels to the fascinating locations where his stories take place, often camping in remote areas to absorb the impression of an Anasazi ruin, a deep canyon, an arid mesa, or a Sun Dance.

More about James D. Doss...

Charlie Moon (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Shaman Sings (Charlie Moon, #1)
  • The Shaman Laughs (Charlie Moon, #2)
  • The Shaman's Bones (Charlie Moon, #3)
  • The Shaman's Game
  • The Night Visitor (Charlie Moon, #5)
  • Grandmother Spider (Charlie Moon, #6)
  • Dead Soul (Charlie Moon, #8)
  • The Witch's Tongue (Charlie Moon, #9)
  • Shadow Man (Charlie Moon, #10)
  • Stone Butterfly (Charlie Moon, #11)